ADVERTISEMENT

We Will Be Strong at Running Back in 2015

SportsSuites1

Oct 17, 2007
We watched Marcus come of age as a Freshman against UGA ... then own those 'dawgs outright in a 'signature' 35-7 curbstomp win on ESPN's nationally-televised "GameDay" feature the very next year; rushing for 2 TD's and catching a pass for his 3rd TD in that game. And we will NEVER forget Lattimore's 40-carries for 200+ yards down in the 'Swamp' to clinch the SEC East championship ... beat Florida? In Gainesville? Some said it could never be done. We ALL learned there wasn't too much Marcus couldn't do. What a Gamecock.

Marcus Lattimore was a special Gamecock player (and person) in a WHOLE lotta' ways.

BUT!!! ... now (NOW meaning fans everywhere will start to notice) we've got another guy who's quietly gotten it done for a LONG time in No. 22 - Brandon Wilds ... who's already had some big-time games in his career, and THIS year is going to be 'very' special. Brandon LOST an entire season to injury but in the three years he's seen the field he's 'only' rushed for 'bout 1,300 yards at a 5.0 yard per-carry clip, scoring 10 rushing TD's ... and caught passes for another nearly10-yards per catch average with 3 receiving TD's. THAT is 'pretty dang good'. Brandon is STRONG, he's fast and he's smart ... AND, he's got a huge 'heart'. A pretty-much 'overlooked' local-boy coming out of HS ... Brandon Wilds does NOT play like the barely 3* low-to-mid-rated 5.something RB he was 'rated' when he graduated. Nope, THIS YEAR Brandon will be truly awesome.

And he'll get A LOT of help from No. 33, David Williams. VERY fast, very strong and maybe the best 'break-away' threat we have ... Williams WILL HAVE a great year in 2015.

Teams NEVER 'replace' players like Marcus Lattimore ... you just do what's required and put the 'next guy in line' in the place those players once occupied. Our guys are READY ... this is THEIR TIME ... we will be GOOD at running back. Not only can these guys RUN and CATCH ... they've improved 1000% 'blocking'. Football, as much as any 'game' is a 'team' game ... and it's those 'small' things our guys have been willing to work so hard improving that will make the difference for us when making a block (or not) WILL make ALL the 'difference'.

It won't matter WHO gets open if Connor Mitch & Perry Orth are running for their lives back there. Teams are going to blitz sometimes and those guys are going to need to stick a hat in somebody's ribs more often than not instead of doing that 'drop-shoulder, lay-down roll' that so MANY RB's try to get away with, which most SEC DE's and LB's completely ignore. OUR guys are READY.

We WILL BE STRONG at RB in 2015. This is 'their time'. And you can BET ML will be pulling for 'em. I think we'll improve in every facet of our game this year - but the two area's we'll notice almost IMMEDIATELY will be overall RB-play and kickoffs (returns AND coverage). We'll also get back to knocking the opposing QB on his a$$ in his own backfield.

I can hardly wait.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Wilds is a pretty good back, but his problem has been staying on the field. I don't believe he has logged in a complete year yet. Maybe one or more of the freshman can contribute.

Wilds is a pretty good back, but his problem has been staying on the field. I don't believe he has logged in a complete year yet. Maybe one or more of the freshman can contribute.

He will split carries with Williams. Strong duo. Like Davis/Wilds last year. Carson will get a few carries too. He can break off a nice long run every now and then.

Wilds looks like an NFL back and he obviously puts in more than his share of work in the weight room. The kid runs hard and don't take plays off. Williams will be fun to watch also. I can't wait

Reactions: GarnetBlood80
and Shon Carson is good for some snaps too- not as good as the other 2 mentioned, but not bad and this will be his senior season.

Yeah wasn't thinking about CarsoN. He has the wheels in open field. A lot will depend on QB play If mitch has a good yr this offense could be very interesting. I like having a solid run game too so we can slow the game down against teams like UNC

He's been as durable as our starters have been.

Can't wait to see what David Williams does with more carries. This guy is going to be an absolute flipping animal. Provided the oline opens up some holes for him.

Reactions: Tigerof66
I love Brandon Wilds! (no homo) I hope, hope, HOPE that he can stay healthy this season. Would LOVE to see him finish his career here with a 1000yd rushing season - I know he has it in him!!!

I think you are spot on. However, I don't think he is damaged goods. The long TD against the Vols last year was pretty impressive. Wilds has more top end speed than I thought. I hope he can stay healthy and showcase his skills this fall.

I met a tater fan this weekend and he actually said, 'you guys won't be able to replace Davis this fall.' Yeah, I think we can. David WIlliams will make the most of his opportunities this fall. From what I have seen, he is the total package. Wilds will be the starter and you have to think he is highly motivated to produce this fall. Carson is also capable of making plays.

I just hope that Spurrier makes a concerted effort to establish the run. 2 handoffs up the middle for 5 yds and throwing incomplete on 3rd down, is not establishing the run. The rushing attack should be our strength, not an afterthought. Davis should have had at least 1200 yds last season.

Brandon has had a hard time staying healthy even as a back up. Now he is going to be the number one guy taking the beatings Mike Davis had to take the last couple of years. My hope is more in Williams breaking out. Carson and the freshman need to be ready as well. This is going to be a grind.

Brandon has had a hard time staying healthy even as a back up. Now he is going to be the number one guy taking the beatings Mike Davis had to take the last couple of years. My hope is more in Williams breaking out. Carson and the freshman need to be ready as well. This is going to be a grind.

What's a real 'grind' is anticipating and preparing for the season while enduring someone with apparent 'diverticulitis' ... see: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFs0eyBcP7c

Reactions: fatherwalker
Wilds will be the starter, but I think he runs too upright. Wish he would run lower to the ground. He is so big and strong he can get away with it until he goes up against some of the tougher defenses. David Williams is probably the more complete back of the two. I can see Wilds hurt early in the season, and Williams taking over the starting spot mid-way through the season. Carson will be a great back to come in and give Wilds and Williams a play or two off.

Reactions: supermangrantz
Wilds is definitely gonna be a quality "inside runner" which is where he has done best in the past, and simply put I can't remember the last time we had a kid as top end fast as Williams in the backfield. We have potential to have a real "thunder n' lightning" rushing attack with the two of them this year. Truly exciting stuff.

I was just looking at the roster at height and weight's of the two, and saw that English is 225 lbs. I can't believe he is a redshirt Junior and has only put on 10 pounds.

Wilds will add 1000. Typo there. I dare anyone to tell me Williams won't put up monster numbas.
I think 2400 yards and 20 tds between the two of them may be lofty given that #11 is going to see a fair amount of work in the ground game buuuut.. Combine the THREE quality ball carriers that our Gamecocks have this year and those numbers could easily be met, if not exceeded.

All comes down to how quickly the OL can shape up.
Truth right there folks. I'm thinking they'll be coached up quite well. The question is how much this o line is going to "want it". We've seen a fair share of good bodies on the o line in recent years, some of them have just lacked that animal intensity. I'm reminded of Chris White a few years ago. Not a huge kid, not a particularly heralded recruit, but man did that guy play "pissed off". Hoping we got a few of those guys on this team.

Wilds will be the starter, but I think he runs too upright. Wish he would run lower to the ground. He is so big and strong he can get away with it until he goes up against some of the tougher defenses. David Williams is probably the more complete back of the two. I can see Wilds hurt early in the season, and Williams taking over the starting spot mid-way through the season. Carson will be a great back to come in and give Wilds and Williams a play or two off.
I agree that Wilds runs too straight up, and goes down too easily. Davis at his best would punish tacklers.

Wilds will add 1000. Typo there. I dare anyone to tell me Williams won't put up monster numbas.
That's quite optimistic, given the fact that no one has run for 1400 yards in the Spurrier's entire history of coaching. It may happen though. Williams will have to get close to 300 carries. Wilds will have to over 200, and keep a healthy yards per carry.

I don't see Spurrier running the ball that much, even if he had a backfield of Emmitt Smith, Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders.

Last edited:
There won't be any monster yards if this offensive lines not any better then the last year and the defense can't tackle, which allows TD's, which gets us behind and then we have to throw. A lot of question marks this year.

That's quite optimistic, given the fact that no one has run for 1400 yards in the Spurrier's entire history of coaching. It may happen though. Williams will have to get close to 300 carries. Wilds will have to over 200, and keep a healthy yards per carry.

I don't see Spurrier running the ball that much, even if he had a backfield of Emmitt Smith, Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders.

"Mistad3" ? That could be "missed it" given your comments about Spurrier NOT RUNNING.

EIGHT years in a row while at Florida Spurrier ALWAYS had a 'hoss' RB and those 'hosses' were just two guys in those eight years, Errict Rhett and Fred Taylor ... both of 'em the kind of RB Marcus Lattimore was for the Gamecocks.

BOTH of 'em earned 1st Team All-America honors at RB ... heck, Rhett broke Emmett Smith's career rushing records at UF - twice going over 1000 yards in his 4-years, the other two years were both 900+ ('bout 1,300 was his best year w/ a 5+ per yard average) ... the guy had THIRTY-FOUR career rushing TD's for heaven's sake.

Taylor was arguably even better than Rhett - though his 'career' production wasn't quite as high (he also had fewer 'carries') but he caught more passes, too. Taylor was well-over 3,000 career rushing yards with nearly 1,400 rushing yards in '97 when HE earned 1st Team All-American RB honors.

Spurrier LOVES to run ... NOTHING sets up the pass better! If we get our guys going you can bet your A$$ the HBC will KEEP IT GOING on the GROUND (THAT runs the CLOCK!!! - and the other team CANNOT SCORE if they don't have the ball).

Lattimore ran it FORTY TIMES against Florida in the game that won us the SEC-East Championship ... and he went 30+ twice in HUGE wins over UGA.

Don't believe all that 'fun and gun' hoohaa you read about. YES ... SOS is as good as anyone's EVER BEEN designing complex route-trees but he can COUNT and he can keep TIME and he LOVES to 'run' - given the chance.

I said I think we'll be good at RB this year and if we are, you WILL see a LOT of running. Forget about "Smith, Dickerson, Payton and Sanders".

Give those guys some holes and the HBC's gonna' smack all-comers with Wilds, Williams and Carson.

Have some FAITH, son. And don't 'blieve every rumor, characterization or summary you might have heard 'bout the HBC. Heck, if they're FAST he'll make RB's outta' ANYBODY ... even linebackers! Ask Georgia about it.

"Mistad3" ? That could be "missed it" given your comments about Spurrier NOT RUNNING.

EIGHT years in a row while at Florida Spurrier ALWAYS had a 'hoss' RB and those 'hosses' were just two guys in those eight years, Errict Rhett and Fred Taylor ... both of 'em the kind of RB Marcus Lattimore was for the Gamecocks.

BOTH of 'em earned 1st Team All-America honors at RB ... heck, Rhett broke Emmett Smith's career rushing records at UF - twice going over 1000 yards in his 4-years, the other two years were both 900+ ('bout 1,300 was his best year w/ a 5+ per yard average) ... the guy had THIRTY-FOUR career rushing TD's for heaven's sake.

Taylor was arguably even better than Rhett - though his 'career' production wasn't quite as high (he also had fewer 'carries') but he caught more passes, too. Taylor was well-over 3,000 career rushing yards with nearly 1,400 rushing yards in '97 when HE earned 1st Team All-American RB honors.

Spurrier LOVES to run ... NOTHING sets up the pass better! If we get our guys going you can bet your A$$ the HBC will KEEP IT GOING on the GROUND (THAT runs the CLOCK!!! - and the other team CANNOT SCORE if they don't have the ball).

Lattimore ran it FORTY TIMES against Florida in the game that won us the SEC-East Championship ... and he went 30+ twice in HUGE wins over UGA.

Don't believe all that 'fun and gun' hoohaa you read about. YES ... SOS is as good as anyone's EVER BEEN designing complex route-trees but he can COUNT and he can keep TIME and he LOVES to 'run' - given the chance.

I said I think we'll be good at RB this year and if we are, you WILL see a LOT of running. Forget about "Smith, Dickerson, Payton and Sanders".

Give those guys some holes and the HBC's gonna' smack all-comers with Wilds, Williams and Carson.

Have some FAITH, son. And don't 'blieve every rumor, characterization or summary you might have heard 'bout the HBC. Heck, if they're FAST he'll make RB's outta' ANYBODY ... even linebackers! Ask Georgia about it.

He said 1400 yards, look and tell me which one of those guys got 1400, with the backup getting 1000. You won't see it. Also look to see when he's ever run the ball over 500 times in a season?

I'm very familiar with all the Florida teams since I've been six years old (1983).

So, I'll ask you. Don't you think it's optimistic to expect 1400 yards from David Williams, then Wilds adding 1000 yards?

I think that's optimistic

Last edited:
He said 1400 yards, look and tell me which one of those guys got 1400, with the backup getting 1000. You won't see it. Also look to see when he's ever run the ball over 500 times in a season?

I'm very familiar with all the Florida teams since I've been six years old (1983).

So, I'll ask you. Don't you think it's optimistic to expect 1400 yards from David Williams, then Wilds adding 1000 yards?

They will split carries so I doubt they will get close to that. I think its possible one may get 1,000 but more likely that neither will but both do well. I could see them each getting around 700 or so.

It's probably 'optimistic' to pin any number on a given RB but as to 2,400 team rushing yards IMHO that's certainly doable.

Not too many 'winning' coaches anywhere run it 500 times in a season. Heck 'Lou' loved to run it and the year we went 9-3 and smacked Ohio State he didn't run it 500 times, even in 12-games.

It could have happened and I missed it but I can't recall any 'Carolina teams I ever watched 'cept maybe the Roger's teams running it 500+ times ... but at what 'tradeoff'? We didn't pass it but around 150 times in either '79 or '80 and barely averaged 100-yds/game passing offense, if that.

'79's record was nothing to brag about ... and 'fore '84 1980's 8-4 was all about we did have to brag about except the '69 ACC win, Suggs going undefeated against Clemson and Grantz's track show in the mid-70's when he smacked the Tigers with 56.

I think the 'team' will rush for 2,400. That part I believe is doable.

Just hope both of them are in better shape then last year. hate to see a back constantly tapping his helmet wanting to come out, especially in the first half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT