ADVERTISEMENT

We're tearing up the 3-star circuit!

Go Cocks!!!!

chillpill.jpg

Relax... the coaches know what they are doing. They can evaluate talent better than anyone on the planet. Haven't you seen how well they 'coach em up'? I'd rather have a roster full of good-character 3-stars than a roster with a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids who would go to Clemson.

Some say Prozac, but I prefer Clonazepam... or just straight muscle relaxers.

I will post this question again because it was completely ignored in a similar thread. Can anyone name a team in your recent memory that won a national title that didn't finish with a top 10 recruiting class 3-4 years in a row? Yes. Stars matter. More often than not.

Reactions: conCOCKshon
I see that we're recruiting a particular DB and that we are the kid's only Power 5 Conference offer.

Relax... the coaches know what they are doing. They can evaluate talent better than anyone on the planet. Haven't you seen how well they 'coach em up'? I'd rather have a roster full of good-character 3-stars than a roster with a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids who would go to Clemson.

Latt says Hi.

As far as our coaches being good, we don't have the same staff as 3 years ago. Our current staff is not as good as the one from 3 years ago, and that staff couldn't win the SEC with the greatest assemblage of talent we ever had. What makes you think the current staff can win anything with our current roster?

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
I will post this question again because it was completely ignored in a similar thread. Can anyone name a team in your recent memory that won a national title that didn't finish with a top 10 recruiting class 3-4 years in a row? Yes. Stars matter. More often than not.

Excellent post.

Some say Prozac, but I prefer Clonazepam... or just straight muscle relaxers.

everyone told us to relax after Texas a m made our defense look silly last year. relax don't improve

Like it or not, our time to win the SEC Championship has slipped by and is gone. It may come again in 10-15 years, but it's only a real small window. We will be in the middle of the East for a while.

everyone told us to relax after Texas a m made our defense look silly last year. relax don't improve
I think a number of people (me included) have come to realize our greatest fear - that if SOS can't win a title here, nobody can. He's been here 10 years with nothing to show for it. Three years ago, with our greatest assemblage of talent ever plus a darn good staff, he couldn't win the SEC. It's frustrating and depressing because that team and staff is long gone. Today, we more closely resemble SC circa 1979 than SC circa 2012.

I think a number of people (me included) have come to realize our greatest fear - that if SOS can't win a title here, nobody can. He's been here 10 years with nothing to show for it. Three years ago, with our greatest assemblage of talent ever plus a darn good staff, he couldn't win the SEC. It's frustrating and depressing because that team and staff is long gone. Today, we more closely resemble SC circa 1979 than SC circa 2012.

Excellent post ! Totally agree.

You can sugarcoat it any way you want, but recruiting isn't going all that well. Saw HBC at Tahoe this weekend on TV. I think when you're 70 you should retire and do what you like. He likes playing golf. Turn the program over to someone who is 100% interested in getting it done.

Once again you are confusing "cause and effect." They don't win championships because they have top ten recruiting classes, they have top 10 recruiting classes because the win championships. These recruiting services adjust the star rankings based on who is recruiting the players. That's why you see so many players rankings change during the off season. If they change a player's ranking from 3 star to 4 star in JUNE, why do you think that is? Did this player suddenly become much better without even playing a game? Hardly. These services flourish because of naive followers such as yourself who don't realize how they operate. They are in it to make money from subscriptions. How better to do that than by mimicking the coaches who recruit the best talent?

Hear a lot of talk about Spurrier playing golf all the time. Got news for some, at 70 your joints are a lot stiffer and you really can't play all the time .

Reactions: Tigerof66
Dude I went through this just a couple of years ago. I think Auburn was the last team to win a National Championship in the last 10 years that didn't have an average top 10 recruiting ranking for at least 4 years prior to winning it all.

Your 4 or 5 year average has to be in the top 10 to win it all, except for Auburn who's ranking was just outside of the top 10. Like it or not but Dabo gets it, and they're piling up talent like NEVER before. Just this morning I heard they got a commitment from a player recently that picked Clemson over Alabama and Auburn. We simply don't get those commitments that Alabama or Auburn get.

We can take all of the "diamond in the rough" 3 star talent but it's just a waste of time unless they are all Pharoh Cooper type players.

I can only fault Spurrier for a couple of things since he's been at South Carolina. Throws the ball when running it would get us a W, and his refusal to recognize the importance of getting after it on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: IkeWild33
Once again you are confusing "cause and effect." They don't win championships because they have top ten recruiting classes, they have top 10 recruiting classes because the win championships. These recruiting services adjust the star rankings based on who is recruiting the players. That's why you see so many players rankings change during the off season. If they change a player's ranking from 3 star to 4 star in JUNE, why do you think that is? Did this player suddenly become much better without even playing a game? Hardly. These services flourish because of naive followers such as yourself who don't realize how they operate. They are in it to make money from subscriptions. How better to do that than by mimicking the coaches who recruit the best talent?
They may very well adjust ratings because of who is recruiting them but I can assure you they don't miss on very many. They may miss on 10 or 12 a year out of thousands, the percentage of misses is very very small.

Been through this very process and it's not perfect, but they are right a lot and put in a lot of time doing their own evaluations more so than looking to see who gets the biggest offers.

No team will ever win an SEC division or conference title with a bunch of 3 star players. It's just too tough of a league. Spurrier has got to go get elite out of state talent in order to compete in the SEC. This state isn't going to put out another slate of blue chippers like Alshon, Lattimore, Gilmore, Clowney, etc. again any time soon, and even if it does it's not likely they would all go to South Carolina.

Dabo gets it and is pulling in 4 and 5 star talent from all over the eastern seaboard from Florida to Connecticut, and it's going to be evident in the results of this rivalry over the next several years.

We need a recruiting coordinator that is energetic and knows his job. We are just like Kentucky and Vandy. Put a few good teams out there but in the long run it is short term. Back to the middle or bottom sec east. Too much freaking time on the golf course.

This board is depressing.

I have said this before....some of you need Jesus in your heart because you obviously go through life with a negative attitude and being depressed all the time.

If everyone in this world went through life the way some of you do there would be no happiness, only misery.

Reactions: oakley51

I have said this before....some of you need Jesus in your heart because you obviously go through life with a negative attitude and being depressed all the time.

If everyone in this world went through life the way some of you do there would be no happiness, only misery.
What's wrong with painting the real picture and losing sucks dude! I hate to lose, and not just to Clemson!

Fans are emotionally attached and it does matter whether we win or lose. If it doesn't bother you then you aren't emotionally attached. I don't see frantic people on this board for the most part, just people who see what's really going on and calling it like it is. We are not a good recruiting team, compared to the teams we play against.

Like it or not, we'll be a middle of the pack team at best, at least until we have a coaching staff who is serious about recruiting.

This isn't belly aching to me, it's just calling a spade a spade.

What's Jesus got to do with the the $4MM per year we pay SOS to not recruit and defer play calling duties to Jr.?

Getting commitments from out of state guys who don't have in state offers from the teams we compete against is disheartening. We were 33-6 not long ago. And we can't get a top 20 recruit in any position grou now. And for you who love to try to prove people wrong our RB commit is 19th in the All purpose back category. 90% of running backs are categorized as running backs and not all purpose. When wake florist is his only in state offer its hard to think we can be any better than we were last year. Especially when our competition gets a stud every single year.

Reactions: IkeWild33

Well I'm not certain, but I'm pretry sure I've seen said repeatedly that USC has one of, if not the, the largest membership totals in the entire rivals network. Why would they not do that for us if that is the case? Then there's Southern Cal, who has one of the smaller membership totals yet they still pull in great classes every year

Does Missouri have a roster full of four and five star guys? I don't think so. They've made hay with the solid players they do get, good to great coaching, a too good to be true schedule and let's face it, some really clutch performances. That seems to be the formula we need to follow because we will never reel in a top to bottom roster full of studs.

Even so there is a ceiling. It ends when bumping up against the four and five star rosters in the SEC championship game and the playoff. The four and five star rosters are the Bamas, Ohio St., So Cals of the world. Also known as the 10 or 15 programs that win most of the titles.

What's Jesus got to do with the the $4MM per year we pay SOS to not recruit and defer play calling duties to Jr.?
Everything, since He alone is King of Kings and Lord of Lords (Rev. 19:16).

Back to recruiting, in the Spurrier era we've had a mix of 3 and 4 star players, with a few 5 stars sprinkled in. Until last year, that formula worked pretty well. My hunch is that we'll pick up a little momentum on the gridiron this year (8 or 9 wins) and we'll have a class ranked within the top 15. Next year, we'll be positioned to make a run at Atlanta.

Go 'Cocks and remember that following football is supposed to be fun!

Everything, since He alone is King of Kings and Lord of Lords (Rev. 19:16).

Back to recruiting, in the Spurrier era we've had a mix of 3 and 4 star players, with a few 5 stars sprinkled in. Until last year, that formula worked pretty well. My hunch is that we'll pick up a little momentum on the gridiron this year (8 or 9 wins) and we'll have a class ranked within the top 15. Next year, we'll be positioned to make a run at Atlanta.

Go 'Cocks and remember that following football is supposed to be fun!

Yelp, football is suppose to be fun. When you get to spending hundreds of dollars on Saturday's and the team gives them away with poor efforts on defense and play calling, guess what, it's not much fun. Don't expect to win ever game but do expect a team to hold on in the 4th quarter and quit giving up leads. This all goes back to not having the right coaches calling the shots, (Ward, Adams and Jr.), to name a few.

hey double wide, a easier answer might be teams that lead the country yr after yr that don't win the big one, texas, texas a&m, oakla, michigan, so cal, nd......guess we gotta blame those coaches.

Yelp, football is suppose to be fun. When you get to spending hundreds of dollars on Saturday's and the team gives them away with poor efforts on defense and play calling, guess what, it's not much fun. Don't expect to win ever game but do expect a team to hold on in the 4th quarter and quit giving up leads. This all goes back to not having the right coaches calling the shots, (Ward, Adams and Jr.), to name a few.
A big thing last year was Ward being in over his head but the biggest deal was conditioning. Games are won or lost in the 4th quarter and our guys flat ran out of gas at times. Conditioning / coaching changes on defense will make a difference this time I really believe it. I'm trying to wipe 2014 from my memory.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Maybe not win a national title, but you can win 10-11 games and then maybe you start to recruit better players. Unless for some reason you think we HAVE to win a national title in the next couple of years.

Last edited:
What's wrong with painting the real picture and losing sucks dude! I hate to lose, and not just to Clemson!

Fans are emotionally attached and it does matter whether we win or lose. If it doesn't bother you then you aren't emotionally attached. I don't see frantic people on this board for the most part, just people who see what's really going on and calling it like it is. We are not a good recruiting team, compared to the teams we play against.

Like it or not, we'll be a middle of the pack team at best, at least until we have a coaching staff who is serious about recruiting.

This isn't belly aching to me, it's just calling a spade a spade.
The number of stars does not win championships if it did them Southern Cal and Ohio State would never lose. Can't we forget about 2014 for at least one post and focus on this season? To win the SEC no matter how good you are you have to be lucky somewhere in the course of the season too. Luck ain't been our strong point even the the 11 win seasons. USC had three 11 wins seasons in a row until last season, won the East in 2010, and had beaten Clemson 5 of the last 5 seasons under SOS, that's not middle of the pack. The figures don't lie. I've been a Gamecock long enough to see middle of the pack and lower and right now I'm just ready for 2015.

The number of stars does not win championships if it did them Southern Cal and Ohio State would never lose. Can't we forget about 2014 for at least one post and focus on this season? To win the SEC no matter how good you are you have to be lucky somewhere in the course of the season too. Luck ain't been our strong point even the the 11 win seasons. USC had three 11 wins seasons in a row until last season, won the East in 2010, and had beaten Clemson 5 of the last 5 seasons under SOS, that's not middle of the pack. The figures don't lie. I've been a Gamecock long enough to see middle of the pack and lower and right now I'm just ready for 2015.
We have to get back to the 10-11 win season and sustain that for a while. Are we recruiting well enough to do that? That remains to be seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT