ADVERTISEMENT

What does Holbrook have to do in 2016 to right the ship to satisfy

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
and or convince the fans the program is where it should be or is headed in the right direction?

Last edited:
This is not going to go off well.... but the fact is...only a small percentage of Gamecock fans care about Gamecock baseball and Women's basketball and that percentage only goes up a little when they are winning. Put 15k in the arena in basketball, still not that big of a deal, few lose sleep over a loss in women's bball
I hope they win, but if not , not that big of a deal to the majority of the fan base....That's why they are called non revenue sports...Go 0-21 in football and fans are always supporting gamecock football. Don't win a NCAA men's basketball tourney game in 40 years, fans still care about men's basketball

Last edited:
I can tell you exactly what is going to happen next year: the team is going to do a little bit better than they did this year, because lets face it - they could hardly do much worse. But they aren't going to come close to what we should be doing, namely at least making super regionals, much less hosting and winning one. Then the sunshine-pumper chorus is going to go something like this:

"I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL OF OUR SO-CALLED 'FANS', DON'T YOU KNOW WE ALMOST WON A SERIES AGAINST (insert ranked team here) AND WE ONLY WERE ONE GAME AWAY FROM (insert some accomplishment here), I SWEAR ALL YOU PEOPLE DO IS BITCH AND COMPLAIN, YOU THINK YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT BASEBALL THAN HOLBROOK, YOU NEED TO JUST SHUT UP AND GIVE THE MAN A CHANCE YOU TATER"

and then Tanner is going to give him another year. Its like deja vu all over again.

Reactions: donleycock
I can tell you exactly what is going to happen next year: the team is going to do a little bit better than they did this year, because lets face it - they could hardly do much worse. But they aren't going to come close to what we should be doing, namely at least making super regionals, much less hosting and winning one. Then the sunshine-pumper chorus is going to go something like this:

"I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL OF OUR SO-CALLED 'FANS', DON'T YOU KNOW WE ALMOST WON A SERIES AGAINST (insert ranked team here) AND WE ONLY WERE ONE GAME AWAY FROM (insert some accomplishment here), I SWEAR ALL YOU PEOPLE DO IS BITCH AND COMPLAIN, YOU THINK YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT BASEBALL THAN HOLBROOK, YOU NEED TO JUST SHUT UP AND GIVE THE MAN A CHANCE YOU TATER"

and then Tanner is going to give him another year. Its like deja vu all over again.

The sad part about the above post, is probably very true.

Sunshine Pumper here (who has tried to stay out of the fray): I just want to stop leaving so many men on base.

Other than that, I wish the players and coaches a good off-season. I'm sorry for how it ended, but I will support them anyway next year when they take the field.

GOCOCKS!

Reactions: Tigerof66

Life as a pessimist. When things go the way you think, you are gratified with being correct. When they don't, you say things are going the way they should. It's a win-win.

I would also agree that he should resign, but that AIN'T gonna happen, and neither is he gonna get fired now so...

He NEEDS to start righting the ship in 2015 by hiring the best damned hitting coach he can get now. Then, re-evaluate Meyers and see if there is room for improvement there as well. Then, start finding some ball players that are decent hitters and beg them to sign. Even if it means getting on his knees and groveling.

That's why we pay him $500,000 a year, he frigging needs to earn it and show he's serious about this program being competitive EVERY year. Anything less is just unacceptable, and his ship will sink next year.

Holbrook doesn't have a clue. He says all the right things, but his lack of performance says another. Any mention of bringing in Jucos to help immediately? The players coming back next year either aren't very good, or are not being properly coached. And yeah, how about a strength program to get the players beefed up to be able to compete with the competition?

Super Regional. We need to see significant, concrete progress after this horrible season. If we barely squeak into a Regional in 2016, it'll show that we failed to get back to where we should be. Just my 2 cents.

This is not going to go off well.... but the fact is...only a small percentage of Gamecock fans care about Gamecock baseball and Women's basketball and that percentage only goes up a little when they are winning. Put 15k in the arena in basketball, still not that big of a deal, few lose sleep over a loss in women's bball
I hope they win, but if not , not that big of a deal to the majority of the fan base....That's why they are called non revenue sports...Go 0-21 in football and fans are always supporting gamecock football. Don't win a NCAA men's basketball tourney game in 40 years, fans still care about men's basketball

What a convenient comeback. "Nobody cares". Doubt you were saying that when we won back to back titles. If baseball doesn't matter then why was Raines' fired? Guess it was because we had an AD with the guts to do the right thing. And if the majority of Carolina fans don't care about missing the NCAA baseball tournament, they're not anyone I know. Why are you on a Carolina messageboard if you don't really care that much?

Last edited:

You are full of crap.

You are not really the sunshine pumpers to which he is referring....those are the ones whom show up after getting 10-runned again and start lambasting people for unrealistic expectations and not understanding that SC is not going to win the CWS every year and explaining how Vandy, Kentucky, PC, or CofC have advantages which poor, poor Coach Holbrook does not have at SC.

Nobody will not be pulling for SC but some do not want to see the program go the way of basketball.

Find 8 good hitters who aren't on the team right now, fine two good starting pitchers, and two good relievers once again who aren't on the team right now.

Super Regional. We need to see significant, concrete progress after this horrible season. If we barely squeak into a Regional in 2016, it'll show that we failed to get back to where we should be. Just my 2 cents.
One thing most people forget is "who we are and where we came from". I'm referring to the same thing in baseball as we saw in football. Specifically, we had a very nice run in football (best in our history), and all of a sudden, people think that's the norm. Same with baseball. We had an awesome run of a few years, and now people think that's going to be the norm.
While baseball wasn't what many "think" it should be, it's not like we've had a lot of history in the CWS outside Tanner's 2-3 yr deal.
Now do we have most things in place to have the potential to make the CWS? yes.
Did this year's team underachieve? yes.
Should we continue to expect to dominate Regionals every year and advance further? Probably not. In my mind, if we advance to the CWS 1-2 times every 10 years, that is good. Yes, I would like to do it more, but face the facts. We're just not a place to where we are an LSU in baseball or a Bama in football. We sucked in every single sport that counts this year in my opinion, but we still had better years than in MANY, MANY of our participation in all of those sports. Clearly, we have not "arrived" to the point to where we shpould expect to win the SEC in any of these sports

We should be fighting for one of the top 3 or 4 spots in the SEC. Not the bottom 3 or 4.

One thing most people forget is "who we are and where we came from". I'm referring to the same thing in baseball as we saw in football. Specifically, we had a very nice run in football (best in our history), and all of a sudden, people think that's the norm. Same with baseball. We had an awesome run of a few years, and now people think that's going to be the norm.
While baseball wasn't what many "think" it should be, it's not like we've had a lot of history in the CWS outside Tanner's 2-3 yr deal.
Now do we have most things in place to have the potential to make the CWS? yes.
Did this year's team underachieve? yes.
Should we continue to expect to dominate Regionals every year and advance further? Probably not. In my mind, if we advance to the CWS 1-2 times every 10 years, that is good. Yes, I would like to do it more, but face the facts. We're just not a place to where we are an LSU in baseball or a Bama in football. We sucked in every single sport that counts this year in my opinion, but we still had better years than in MANY, MANY of our participation in all of those sports. Clearly, we have not "arrived" to the point to where we shpould expect to win the SEC in any of these sports
Before Tanner's "2-3 yr deal" he had already finished 2nd in the CWS and that was the 3rd time for the program. This was the worst baseball season in 15+ years. Next year will be the worst in 40+ years. The longer Holbrook is in charge, the worse it is gonna get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT