ADVERTISEMENT

What's everyone's thoughts about Lorenzo Nunez? I think he definitely

He is bigger than I thought after seeing that video. If he is good enough to play then I hope he does

Well, even if he redshirts I am looking even further down the road, like his entire career at USC. I think with his attitude, skill set and some experience he can be successful as a Gamecock QB.

He will see time this year... Have you seen our current QB's? Conner probably starts but Nunez will be a back up. I hope they can red shirt him, but I see him getting some reps.

I definitely hope he can redshirt so he can get time to learn the offense and develop physically. I like what I see though. I think he'll be a factor before he's done here.

Give Nunez a package of plays that allows him to mainly use legs...move the sticks....create wrinkles at the goal line. Give him a chance to throw a few off the play action and learn the speed of the SEC.
Also gives Mitch some time on the bench to focus and get some coaching.

We need to see what we have in him...McIlwain will be there next year.

Reactions: yankacock
If a true freshman sees any playing time this year in Spurrier's offense, we are in big trouble! He will redshirt, and Connor Mitch will probably be our QB for the next two or three years.

has the right attitude, I hope he does well.
He is a kid that threw 2 touchdowns against high school level talent...2 touchdowns...And you think he is going to show up ready to compete against SEC level competition? The SEC is the toughest league going... And this kid is going to show up ready to run all over it... Really? But it takes everyone else a redshirt plus some to get in on this offense? Would you be surprised if he never plays or plays very little QB at South Carolina? Be honest...

Redshirt. Ball spin reminds me of Corey Jenkins. Hope I'm wrong. He does appear to have the work ethic

Here is my question: Why can so many QBs come into college and play immediately in other systems/schools, but Spurriers offense takes a Jr./Sr. to learn well enough to play? If the kid has talent, seems like you find a way to get him on the field and help us.

Doubt they'll use Cooper in wildcat unless they absolutely have to. Nunez will be our wildcat qb.

He only had 2 TD passes?

I just hope Spur doesn't try to fit a square peg in a round hole and make him try to be a QB that he isn't....or have him run an offense that doesn't play to his strengths.

I've been told by people who have watched him that he was basically a one man team. Still, I don't get the two TD thing at all. It would seem that a dump off to a running back or hail mary would net more than two.

I would be surprised if he overtakes Mitch, but I could see him as a backup or a guy who comes in to run specifically designed plays (i.e., wildcat). I'm a little concerned with who we have behind Mitch, so if Nunez is ready then I wouldn't be afraid to burn the redshirt. Spurrier seems high on him, so that is a good sign.

Ultimately though, it's just too hard to tell right now since he played on such a bad team in high school. He definitely has the potential to be good, but it's hard to say how he will look against SEC competition. Definitely could be a learning curve.

I'm sure the coaches know what they have and will make a decision based on that. Not really the fans call on who redshirts and who doesn't.

I agree the coaches will have a much better insight into how "ready" he will be, and I trust their judgment, but that doesn't mean fans can't discuss it.

I'm sure the coaches know what they have and will make a decision based on that. Not really the fans call on who redshirts and who doesn't.
I think you are exactly right. But Spurrier is impulsive and tends to live in the moment. It seems like he really doesn't plan for the future. Like you stated, it's not the fan's call to redshirt players. We can look back in hindsight and say that Spurrier wasted Shaw's redshirt in '10 or that he should have stuck with Shaw early in '11, instead of waiting until Garcia blew the Auburn game. But Spurrier does what he wants, when he wants to, based on the situation.

I'm curious. I read the post talking about SOS and his complicated offense and how a freshman couldn't run it. Why do y'all think this is rocket science on a football field? I've watched it for 10 years and I see...read coverages, take the snap, find the open target and throw the ball or run. Every offense scheme has correct reads and checks so what makes SOS offense where it takes a Harvard degree to run? You're either over rating the offense or under rating our QB. How 'bout some detailed info to back these claims about exactly makes Spurrier's offense so hard experts.

I think if he's that good he plays. Wuerffel started as freshman for Spurrier and there may have been others. I don't get the complicated scheme thing either. Everybody runs that stuff in one form or another.

I think he plays some this year, there is a lot of work to be done before he is a starter though. Nunez will not redshirt, I could see him as a wildcat QB or change of pace QB. I see all 4 QBs playing some this year. Next spring will be very crowded at QB, unless Mitch just comes in and plays lights out.

He is a kid that threw 2 touchdowns against high school level talent...2 touchdowns...And you think he is going to show up ready to compete against SEC level competition? The SEC is the toughest league going... And this kid is going to show up ready to run all over it... Really? But it takes everyone else a redshirt plus some to get in on this offense? Would you be surprised if he never plays or plays very little QB at South Carolina? Be honest...

Did not know he only threw two Touchdown passes in high school. I only watched his video on the Home Page. Unless he is super talented I doubt very seriously if he sees any playing this year.

13 TDS http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/ge...1-99e4-002655e6c126&gendersport=boys,football

It's good to know you're the expert on this kid. Do you even know anything about him? Ever see any of his games? This kid goes to the high school a few miles from his house. In fact, his backup is my next door neighbor.

You made it a point to call out his 2 TDs with having 0 understanding of his situation. First of all, the kid has no WR core relative to the other schools in their division. Secondly, he was singlehandedly the reason why they defeated A division leading rivalfor the first time in years. He plays on both offense and defense, and he was the squad MVP on both sides of the ball.

The kid was listed as an athlete. Do you even know what that means?

I don't know whether he will play QB or DB at USC, but stating an incorrect stat without any other insight is reckless and naive.

If you have followed Spurrier's coaching career it is easy to see that this guy will never start under his tutelage.

If you have followed Spurrier's coaching career it is easy to see that this guy will never start under his tutelage.

Why? Because hes black? Like I said McIlwain is gonna our future (who is black). Mitch will start his two years, nunez will be a utility player and if McIlwain has weapons, a solid Oline, and a supportive defense we will be winning SEC Titles.

Reactions: oakley51
DESTIN, Fla. Incoming freshman quarterback Lorenzo Nunez should to ready to play, but not necessarily start, this fall, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said Tuesday at the SEC’s annual spring meetings.
“He’ll be in contention to play a lot,” Spurrier said. “Now, whether he can start the first game of the year, that’d be asking a lot, but who knows? We will get him ready to play some.”

Nunez is a four-star, dual-threat quarterback out of Kennesaw, Ga. Redshirt sophomore Connor Mitch remains the frontrunner to win the job in the fall.
“But the other players are going to go through the summer with the idea that it’s wide open, and it is wide open,” Spurrier said. “We will have competition for it. We will compete for it in preseason, and we’ll name one, probably, the first week before North Carolina.”

His stats his Jr year were better than his Sr year. According to his coach the reason for this is that his Jr year he had some quality receivers who were college prospects whereas his Sr year they had no quality receivers for him to throw to. Therefore, he ran the ball a lot.
In watching his video, I was impressed with his arm strength. His arm strength is much better than any QB we have had in quite some time. He threw some nice long passes downfield, but one throw in particular caught my eye. He was running to his left (he is right handed) and threw a strike back accross the middle accross his body. You have to have a really strong arm to do that. When he gets here, Spurrier and Mangus will really have some tools to work with to develop this young man into a quality QB. He may not be ready this year, but I think we will see some good things from this guy in the future.

As a 4 star, he is not a sleeper. He will rise to the level of his competition and I believe he will be a player we will all remember and appreciate. I can't wait to see him on the field for the Gamecocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT