ADVERTISEMENT

Who are some JUCO baseball targets we are looking at?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
I know we have alot of players ready to come here and many are supposed to be good but we are apparently looking at many JUCO players. They are all hitters from what I here but I dont know any names or stats. Anyone know of some? We need some major influx of hitting

No but really, college baseball is already hugely devoid of talent, how bad do you have to be to be a JUCO?

I like that we have a relevant program but college baseball is hard to watch sometimes, the talent level is so bad.

How bad do you have to be to be a JUCO baseball player?

Just because a player chooses the JUCO route, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are worse than a player who chooses to go to a four-year university. For one, JUCOs are allowed to offer up to 24 full-ride scholarships, NCAA member schools can offer 11.7. Also, if a player attends a four-year university, they are not eligible for the draft again until after their junior year of college. In JUCO, a player is eligible for the draft after their first and second years. There was a time that Spartanburg Methodist College could beat most NCAA teams...they were loaded with talent.

Ask Marty Gantt, Bruce Caldwell, or countless others from this state that went the Juco route. Hell for that matter ask Elliot Caldwell how bad he was.........

Juco is usually grade related or looking to improve their draft position.

10 years ago I would put SMC against any college d1 team in this state and bet they would have won 50% or more.

The better JUCO programs are loaded with talent. Many hs kids that want to get drafted without having to go 3 years choose the JUCO route. Watch the MLB draft and you'll see many picks coming from JUCO.

We have had many come in and help us immediately. Who was the side arm pitcher that was setup guy for Matt Price? He was a JUCO product and the throw that saved us from lf against Florida in world series was a JUCO guy.

Would be willing to bet if you had USC play only 1st or 2nd year players against a good JUCO squad, the JUCO squad wins the majority of time.

MorganEFan, you are thinking of John Taylor from Florence Darlington Tech. Steve Pearce is one of the best hitters to play here, a JUCO guy. Taking Juco's in baseball is a lot different than in Football and Basketball!

JUCO doesn't mean ya suck,there are a variety of reasons a kid may go the JUCO route,look @ Bryce Harper he did it so he could be draft eligible a year earlier,deal with it!!

Ask Marty Gantt, Bruce Caldwell, or countless others from this state that went the Juco route. Hell for that matter ask Elliot Caldwell how bad he was.........

Juco is usually grade related or looking to improve their draft position.

10 years ago I would put SMC against any college d1 team in this state and bet they would have won 50% or more.
I know of one player in JC now who did not go to a 4 year school because many have players with 3 or three years colleg experience and he would start at a junior college with a full scholarship and could go to a four year schol or pro after two years. Two of the mafor Florida schools offerred him a half scholarship or less. He was all-state in Florida and was a late draft cho;ice and had good grades.

James Darnell wasn't exactly chopped liver and neither was Robert Beary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT