ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Jordan Smith only a 3 star?

TheRoosterGuru

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2009
when he has the offer list of a 5 star? Is it because he committed to us? I hope it's not because of academics. I've heard academics can bump a four star down to a three star. Anyways this is a huge pick up. This guy is gonna be a monster once he gets a little more weight on him.

I wondered the same thing, especially after seeing his offer list and the four-star ratings he's received from other services. Maybe Rivals will add a star later in the fall?

Academics. Clemson backed off. Still nice pickup. Congrat's.
I find it ironic that this Clemson fan (graduate?) included an unnecessary apostrophe in his attempt to slander the academic ability of our newest commitment. It's congrats, or even better, congratulations. No apostrophe needed! In spite of your insincere and sarcastic comment, we accept your congratulations and look forward to Mr. Smith launching himself at your feeble-bodied quarterbacks in the future.

Respectfully Submitted,

HTCock

Reactions: uscdoc
He did not have committable offers from Bama or UGA, both backed away after initial interest. He has high end potential in a few years if he can add weight.

Georgia back off on him when he told them he wasn't interested in playing outside LB in a 3-4 defensive, Georgia wanted him until he told them that.

#STRecruiting: USC QB commitment McIlwain could be looking at big baseball dollars next summer
July 25, 2015 by Phil Kornblut Leave a Comment

Brandon McIlwain

Other colleges need not bother USC quarterback commitment Brandon McIlwain of Newtown, PA. Since picking the Gamecocks on New Year’s Eve over Penn State, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Duke, Florida and Cal, he has been 100% locked on playing college football for Steve Spurrier and company. So, a decommitment is something Gamecock fans don’t have to worry about.

But McIlwain also is a special baseball talent who plays outfield, third base and is a righthanded pitcher. PerfectGame.com described McIlwain as ‘just an incredible athlete. Huge power potential, very fast. Hard game contact at PG National.”

McIlwain was at USC’s camp Saturday but Sunday he will be back on the diamond in Tampa for a national tournament. His plan has not changed at this point and that is to enroll at USC in January and compete for playing time at quarterback in 2016. He also plans to join the baseball team that spring. But McIlwain did say he is hearing some things from baseball scouts that may give him something to ponder.

“It’s been a really good summer, the first summer that a lot of baseball opportunities have popped up and some scouts have told me that the top two rounds are a possibility,” McIlwain said. “But it’s not something of real interest to me.”

But will that interest change if he is a top two round pick and the big dollars are floated his way? According to Baseball America’s 2015 draft database, OF Eric Jenkins of N0rth Carolina, the second round pick of the Rangers, signed for two million dollars, the highest bonus of the second round. The lowest signing bonus for a second round pick was $650,000.

“It’s an opportunity I definitely have to look at,” McIlwain said. “I’m keeping all my options open. But the opportunity to come to South Carolina and get a degree and play football and baseball here is worth a lot to me, too. I’m pretty confident that I’ll be here playing at South Carolina in the next few years. I’m not worried about the baseball thing coming in and changing anything. I’ll be here.”

McIlwain said he’s had an excellent summer in football as well. He competed in the Elite 11 event in Oregon earlier this month and has worked out a lot with his own high school team in preparation for the season.

“I’ve had a lot of opportunities to throw and get a lot better so it should be a really, really exciting season,” he said. “I think I’ve gotten better in all aspects. I had the chance to stay with my quarterback coach for ten days and train. And going to the Elite 11, I’ve learned so much and gotten better in all aspects of my game.”

Last season McIlwain passed for 2100 yards and 18 touchdowns and rushed for 1100 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Hearing he may go as high as second round. Very hard to turn down that $$ when you are a teenager.

“It’s an opportunity I definitely have to look at,” McIlwain said. “I’m keeping all my options open. But the opportunity to come to South Carolina and get a degree and play football and baseball here is worth a lot to me, too. I’m pretty confident that I’ll be here playing at South Carolina in the next few years. I’m not worried about the baseball thing coming in and changing anything. I’ll be here.”

Straight from the horses mouth...

maxresdefault_zpshzz4te7p.jpg

With a $650,000 signing bonus to play baseball he could get the girl on the right. Who cares what comes out of the horses mouth. Really hard to turn down cash in hand, especially mid to high 6 figures.

Well, who knows what will happen. Especially since he hasn't even signed with USC yet. Guess I'll listen to the kid though, in regards to his plans, rather than someone who has never met him.

Reactions: Pruittmatt44
Stand corrected on JORDAN Smith from an academic standpoint. Enquired and grades are in fact NOT an issue for him. J. Smith commit to UNC is the player I had read this on.

With a $650,000 signing bonus to play baseball he could get the girl on the right. Who cares what comes out of the horses mouth. Really hard to turn down cash in hand, especially mid to high 6 figures.
You do realize that the girl is on the left and that is a horse on the right? I think you need to get your eyes checked and find a new source for your information.

Maybe we should get Dilbo to talk to him, after all he swindled Kyle Parker out of huge baseball money too.

You may go now...
39400-Val-Kilmer-you-may-go-now-gif-Etao.gif

Only on Rivals...he's a 4* with every other service...and I would say it's the same reason Gilmore dropped from 5 to 4, same with Culliver, same reason McIlwain is a 3 * here...and on and on.

Reactions: SliderUSC
I tell you who DOES have terrible grades... a certain running back committed to the Clemson Tigers. Yeah he's passing summer school and he'll probably graduate and qualify but let's not start throwing rocks you orange-clad hicks. I work in the school district and know a dozen people who have taught him. Trust me... it's a good thing he's fast.

Does anyone know this answer? May a college 'amateur' athlete who's excels in two sports retain an agent to investigate/negotiate contract discussions for one sport w/o affecting his eligibility in the other sport? And regarding baseball, if drafted by MLB while on a college team is it permissible to retain professional assistance while considering options and still return to play if that's the decision reached by the student/athlete rather than signing a professional contract?

Slider does the one who wields the most influence also work for a site that has an orange tint?

Well, come to think of it.......I believe he may. :)
I hope he is no relation to one of our current players.

Then again families are made up of individuals, so it wouldn't necessarily be a reflection on our player. And I happen to know the kid and his parents, just never thought it was relevant to ask. They are fine folk.

Would this person or influence happen to be a dark mysterious "hooded" figure?

I'm probably treading very thin ice as it is so I'll leave this thread with the following:

There are people, businesses and Institutions who intentionally "stretch" the truth in order to advance themselves, others or groups they have an interest (vested) in. If you pay very close attention to the progression of star rankings for our sports rivals particularly, you'll find the answers to your questions.

Reactions: Gamecockalypse325
Georgia back off on him when he told them he wasn't interested in playing outside LB in a 3-4 defensive, Georgia wanted him until he told them that.

Its true, he wants to play DE not OLB, UGA wasn't recruiting him at DE, too small now for our scheme. He was/is number 3 on the board at OLB and we are only taking 1 more at that position. Good player though, his desire to play with his hand down which he couldn't do at UGA basically took us out of the recruiting battle. But the staff was truthful to him and told him that up front. Just a guess why he is rated a 3* is he didn't hit the camp curcuit hard and he is a little light for a DE at his height. Would have liked to have gotten him.

Surely you jest that anyone associated with the cow college that thinks they are the harvard of south would lie or try to manipulate rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT