ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Basketball team

USCMBA77

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
I was fortunate enough see the women's basketball game in person against East Carolina yesterday. After the game I stuck around to see if I could get pictures with Coach Staley and some of the players. I can't say enough good things about them - they were all friendly and accommodating to the many Gamecock fans that were there.

I was especially impressed with Coach Staley who had around fifty or more people waiting at the team bus for a chance to get a picture with her or an autograph and she stayed for all of them.

I am proud of the way they represent out university.

Go Cocks!!!!!

Two huge games coming up for our top-rated women’s team: first is LSU at their place on January 25th. Then UCONN comes to Columbia in mid-February. It will be a tough task against an LSU home crowd — we’ll need to limit turnovers and hit our free-throws and 3-pointers. LSU seems to be the nation’s leader in getting fouled and hence getting to the free-throw line. We’ll have to avoid making the ticky-tack fouls that put LSU women on the FT line.

Two huge games coming up for our top-rated women’s team: first is LSU at their place on January 25th. Then UCONN comes to Columbia in mid-February. It will be a tough task against an LSU home crowd — we’ll need to limit turnovers and hit our free-throws and 3-pointers. LSU seems to be the nation’s leader in getting fouled and hence getting to the free-throw line. We’ll have to avoid making the ticky-tack fouls that put LSU women on the FT line.
LSU isn't any closer to us strength-wise than they were a year ago. It will be tougher in Batin Rouge, but there wouldn't be any excuse to lose to them.

Reactions: tngamecock#
I have watched several of their games. Their 4 big names get the Jordan treatment. Have to overcome that but I think we are more talented and deeper…..looking forward to it.

LSU isn't any closer to us strength-wise than they were a year ago. It will be tougher in Batin Rouge, but there wouldn't be any excuse to lose to them.
WOW!!!

That is quiet a statement, ... especially for an away game against the defending National Champions.
THIS might be Dawn's signature team. GAMECOCKS BY 9.

Reese is single handedly whipping USC's ass! Our inside girls cannot handle her or block out and get a rebound.

WOW!!!

That is quiet a statement, ... especially for an away game against the defending National Champions.
THIS might be Dawn's signature team. GAMECOCKS BY 9.

King holds our team to unrealistic expectations. Not sure why.

Beating a top 10 team, on the road, the defending national champs is ALWAYS tough.

Think about how many times in the men's game the #1 team in the country loses to another top 10 team on the road. Think about how often a #1 team in the men's game loses to the defending national title winner from the season before. It's not unusual.

But somehow it's unacceptable for our team to do it.

Well, the truth is, it isn't. It's very tough playing on the road against very good teams. This isn't some average team we are playing. This team has top players all over the place.

Reactions: Bftboy
Reese is single handedly whipping USC's ass! Our inside girls cannot handle her or block out and get a rebound.

We closed well. As bad as we played in the 1st half, it's a close game at the half.

Hopefully we can wear them down inside.

Cardoso didn't bring her hands or her toughness with her on the trip. She's playing clumsy and like she's not willing to battle. She better start playing or I'd sit her down again.

The ESPN halftime crew called her out a bit. She's playing too slow inside and isn't making quick decisions and there is no way to play against LSU inside if you play slow. She has had a bad habit of bringing the ball down - a rookie mistake- and almost always loses it when she does. In other words, she hasn't shown up.

Mulvey is sickening
Big win

She gave us a lot of credit though. Everything I heard her say about us was treating us like the Kings of the Hill. Even mentioned that we had been in some big games this year (our schedule) compared to her team.

Bree Hall was huge in the last 2 minutes as was Raven. Great win in a very tough place to play. They better not sleep on Vanderbilt Sunday. They have a good coach and seem much improved. Classic trap game.

Although I find Angel and Mulkey a bit much at times, think of where the SEC would be without them. Carolina and a bunch of not much. Maybe Vic can bring it next year when Texas joins up.

Good win. Not a fan of some of the LSU players. Glad our girls held their composure. Glad that LSU girl’s dad got to run up and down those steps while taking the L.

We closed well. As bad as we played in the 1st half, it's a close game at the half.

Hopefully we can wear them down inside.

Cardoso didn't bring her hands or her toughness with her on the trip. She's playing clumsy and like she's not willing to battle. She better start playing or I'd sit her down again.

The ESPN halftime crew called her out a bit. She's playing too slow inside and isn't making quick decisions and there is no way to play against LSU inside if you play slow. She has had a bad habit of bringing the ball down - a rookie mistake- and almost always loses it when she does. In other words, she hasn't shown up.
She made some excellent moves to score in the second half. She ended up making her presence known down the stretch.

Several really good articles in the New Orleans newspaper today about the game.

Although I find Angel and Mulkey a bit much at times, think of where the SEC would be without them. Carolina and a bunch of not much. Maybe Vic can bring it next year when Texas joins up.
LSU is an outstanding team. They have some excellent players!

Great win. When you look at the stat line, it was almost identical. Perimeter game was outstanding. Staley made good adjustments at half. Reese fouling out in those finals minutes really opened the door for that final surge.

It would be nice not to run into them again this season. They would matchup well against us in any environment with their post play.

She made some excellent moves to score in the second half. She ended up making her presence known down the stretch.
I think Kitts played an outstanding first quarter. She probably made up the aggressiveness we expected from Cardosa. I love the way Kitts fights underneath the basket.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Cardoso played like she didn’t want to get her hair messed up. It was frustrating to watch because she could be dominant. Boston and Wilson need to have a chat with her.

Cardoso played like she didn’t want to get her hair messed up. It was frustrating to watch because she could be dominant. Boston and Wilson need to have a chat with her.
Especially Wilson. She has become very physical since joining the WNBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT