ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Gamecock football loss you ever endured in person

Unfortunately, way too many worthy candidates to choose from. But, seriously, what could possibly be worse than 63-17? It was at home. It was freaking Clemson.

I was in Atlanta for that beat down by Georgia Tech and the black-out game emerges from all the other stompings Steve Spurrier handed us in our early years in the SEC, but neither of those were against the team I hate more than any other team in the history of sports.

Reactions: jeff2001
Marshall September 19, 1998. 24-21 A) Didn't know what state Marshall was in before the game B) Laughed about their band members falling down during their routine pregame(hey was only 13 at the time) C) We couldn't run a play during the 25 second period like the first two plays of the game D)It was at the time Marshall's first win over an SEC team

E) and most important, only the fat bradstard could take us to such depths.

The Arkansas game in Fayetteville When we lost by one point in the early 90's....I remember an Arkansas girl saying after the game "thanks for coming".....damn that was a long drive home...

08 at UF....swapping QB's every play 55-6 I believe...
14 Mizzou, sat 10 rows up in south lower, and had to endure both of their TD's right in my face.

It was a Todd Ellis interception that put the final nail in that coffin.

There's a shocker, there!

Wasn't that game 47-21, if I remember we were up 14-3 at one point, then the taters went 44 in a row on us.

Bingo. Had a chance to go in @ the half up 21-10, if memory serves, but Fat Bradstard & Co., in all their wisdom, after watching Troy Hambrick run it down Clem's throat for over 100 yards in the first half, ran an ill-conceived trick play in the red zone going in. FUMBLE! Clem recovers & the rest is history. Fat Freakin' Bradstard!

The Arkansas game in Fayetteville When we lost by one point in the early 90's....I remember an Arkansas girl saying after the game "thanks for coming".....damn that was a long drive home...

1993. Lost 18-17 after the dramatic victory in Athens the week before. Had we won that one, it's possible, however unlikely, that we could've had a better season than 4-7, possibly made a bowl, & never had to witness More Chins Than Wins on our sideline.

1. 63-17 to Taters in 2003
2. at Navy in 1984 (would have played in Orange Bowl for title)
3. vs The Citadel in 1990 (would have made bowl game)
4. at Tennessee in 2013 (would have won SEC East)
5. at Kentucky in 2012 (would have won SEC East)
6. at Georgia Tech in 1988
7. vs. Clemson in 1999
8. Papa John's Bowl in 2009
9. vs. Florida in 2001
10. (tie) at Kentucky 2014
10. (tie) vs. Missouri 2014
10. (tie) vs. Tennessee 2014

Not a bad list but only one mistake: we did beat UK in 2012 even though I think they had us 17-0 at one point. The 11-44 loss at UF is what kept us from Atlanta that year unless you count the loss a week earlier at LSU (21-23). That was arguably our best team with a healthy Marcus.

Losing at home to Auburn at home in 2011 was inexcusable. Both recent UT games also, and ANY loss to UK.

Was that the game where NCS kicked a FG to win with no time in the clock?

Seems like I've been to every beatdown, but the most humiliating ones were:
1) FSU 59-0
2) Clemson 63-17
3) SECC game
4) Clemson 45-0
5) UF Blackout 52-7
6) Auburn 49-7
Yes, that was the game where the clock manager won the game. Saw an ugly fight in the parking lot after that one. We got our revenge game the following year in WB 48-0, I believe. The defensive stats for that game were gaudy.

After graduation, I moved out west and was unable to attend another home game until Tennessee (2014). It was my wife's and son's first game at Williams-Brice, and I was thrilled to share the Gamecock experience with them. My wife purchased the tickets when the team was ranked ninth in the polls, and she paid a lot of money for them. Yet, late in the game, with the team ahead, I leaned over and said, "Even though it was an expensive weekend, a Gamecock victory made it all worthwhile." Then Tennessee scored at will, and I looked in disbelief as the Gamecocks lost.

I wanted my family to experience South Carolina football, but I hoped it would not be the "Sparky Woods" era.

To all Gamecock fans, I apologize for celebrating the victory too early. I learned my lesson.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Worst loss I witnessed in person? When we played UT at home a couple years ago and LOST LATTIMORE FOREVER. Oh, we won the game, but lost one of the best players to ever put on a GC jersey...

This is intended to be on the light side but the ones I consider my personal worst were:
Army 1954. This is when Army was ranked one or two in the country. Carolina had charted a train car to go to West Point. I had a ticket and was set to go but I got very sick ( no alcholol involved) and could not go. We upset them and I understand the trip back was one big party.

Navy, again I believe 1954 or '55 can't remember which. I had just begun dating my future bride of 59 years (August will be 60) and we went to the game. Everybody dressed up suit,tie ladies wore flowers,etc. I had just bought a new Palm Beach suit. These were the top of the line at the time.
We were in our seats and right before kick off it came a downpour that lasted the entire game. I put my suit coat over my girl friend to try and protect her. We left at half time. Navy beat us like a rented mule. We went to our respective dorms changed and went to "Shimmy's" for steaks which were fine. I had my suit cleaned but when I got it back it would have fit a 12 year old but not me. I had a great time.

Came all the way from California last year for the Tenn game. First time back in over 10 years. Worst loss I've ever seen. We win that game and Pharaoh is a darkhorse Hiesmann candidate. He was everywhere.

Shoulda put him in defense I guess!

Toss up.... Clemson push-off and the NC State Push-off.... We got cheated out of both games ...

I haven't been to many football games, but the worst loss I endured was last season's massacre against Texas A&M. The defense was clueless and we all know how that turned out. The A&M fans were extremely ugly and just downright rude. What do guys think? What is the worst Gamecock football loss that you've had to endure by physically being at the game? My dad told me the worst loss he sat through was to Clemson in '99 was worse, when the Clemson fans threw Zero bars on the field after we went 0-11.
63-17. Not even close since I didn't go to navy in 84.

Three come quickly to mind.......63-17 vs. Clemson in 2003, 59-0 against FSU in 1988, and 65-0 loss to Florida, not sure of the year......

04 UGA game. 16-0 lead at halftime over the highly ranked Dawgs and crap it all away in the second half with no offense. 07 Vandy game was pretty miserable too. Took this cute blonde to the game (she was a huge Carolina fan too). After that painful loss, we both decided that we brought the team bad luck and never went out again.

I was at the 1984 Navy loss. I got so tired of watching those Midshipmen do push-ups for the score after every time they scored, which was a lot. Ruined a perfect regular season. And it was a long ride home.

The other one that comes to mind is the 1980 Clemson game when Willie Underwood kept returning kicks or interceptions to beat us 27-6. Clemson wore those orange pants.

We were heavily favored to win both of the aforementioned games.

I haven't been to many football games, but the worst loss I endured was last season's massacre against Texas A&M. The defense was clueless and we all know how that turned out. The A&M fans were extremely ugly and just downright rude. What do guys think? What is the worst Gamecock football loss that you've had to endure by physically being at the game? My dad told me the worst loss he sat through was to Clemson in '99 was worse, when the Clemson fans threw Zero bars on the field after we went 0-11.
Pinnock's fumble on the goal line at the end of the game against UGA. I don't remember the year but I'm trying hard to forget.

why dwell on negatives.... 67 posts on the worst remembered loses.....why.

It bounced off somebody's shoulder pads - Sterling Sharpe I think.
That is correct... Ellis threw it slightly behind Sterling as he was crossing through the endzone. Hit Sharpe in his trailing shoulder as he adjusted to catch it and bounced off. Would have been the game winner.

63-17. Hate losing to the taters and that was just the worst. Can't believe that QB Whitehurst never lost to us. I'd like to see how he would fare against our current teams.

1986 to NC State. If you were there you know what i"m talking about!
NC St in 86 is the winner. I was there and almost 30 years later it still makes me mad. There have been other that may have meant more in the grand scheme of things but this one still tops them all.

Been a lot of bad ones mentioned. I'm just a youngster and only started going to games consistently in 1999 (great year to start). I think my Dad would agree with FSU 59-0 or that Citadel loss though.

But the most demoralizing for me has to be 63-17. As an 10 year old kid from the upstate, that was an absolute nightmare.

The most lopsided loss I experienced in person was FSU in 1990 but any loss against Clemson in person no matter the score hurts worse. Listening to those rednecks spell out C L E M S O N really grates on my nerves. Every time they get to M I yell P!

Painful- The 63-17 loss was bad. however stayed to the end and left with my head up to prove to those asshole tiger fans that no matter how they acted they were not going to make me leave MY stadium with my tail between my legs.

Florida 2001- That game was ELECTRIC until Spurrier figured out our defense and we got smacked. Going up 17-0 only made the loss worse.

One that made me madder than I have ever been- Auburn 2011. That is the only game in 20 years of attending games that I ever got asked to leave. Keep in mind I don't drink, so my behavior was not amplified by beer or liquor. The bright spot was that was the last game where Shaw did not start.

Worst FSU 55 -0
Most humiliating Marshall 24-21. Anthony Wright tried to shave that last int right through 5 white Marshall jerseys. Didn't work out.

The obvious choice for me is the 63-17 game but I'll throw out another one: Vandy in 2007. We were top 10 and had been told by Spurrier we were ready to challenge for the East title and it seemed possible. Vandy beat us at home. We didn't win another game that season and didnt even make a bowl. Ouch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT