ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Gamecock football loss you ever endured in person

Worst loss for me was against Auburn in 2005. Blake Mitchell was injured and didn't play so Antonio Heffner was the starter. The first play of the game....was a time out! That set the tone for the game and we got spanked 48-7 on the Plains.

2) Papa John's Bowl 2009 vs UConn. I stayed the entire game in the freezing cold just to see us stink it up. I can still hear "Papa's in the House" in my head.

3) Arkansas in 2002. Lou decided he would take over the play calling duties from Skip and how did that work out? We only crossed midfield twice in a 23-0 home loss. Worst offensive performance that I have witnessed from a Gamecock team

4) UF 2007. No lie this is a true story. Before the game, my friend that came to the game with me from Virginia who is a UT and UF fan (not sure how that is possible) told me that Tebow would score 7 TD's. And that is exactly what happened! He told me afterwards that he didn't really believe that would happen. This came after we gave up 321 and 175 rushing to Darren McFadden and Felix Jones respectively.

5) Auburn 2011-This loss still kills me. No reason to lose this game at home. Honestly, I think we got outcoached in this game. Garcia didn't have it, yet we kept trying to pass it. No reason not to give it to Lattimore more than 17 times. As great of a run we had in 2011-13, I just wonder how much better it could have been if we had won here.

Honorable Mention-Ole Miss 2004. We started the year 4-1,in the top 25 and coming up a huge win at Bama. Ole Miss barley beat a Division IAA the week before and had a losing record. We were 17 point favorites yet we lost 31-28 on a last second TD. I still remember the students being in shock after this game with some students crying afterwards. We never recovered after this loss. LONG drive back to Atlanta after this one.

Listening to those rednecks spell out C L E M S O N really grates on my nerves. Every time they get to M I yell P!

Funny, because I used to scream out a 'B' when they'd get to the 'N' part!

Worst FSU 55 -0
Most humiliating Marshall 24-21. Anthony Wright tried to shave that last int right through 5 white Marshall jerseys. Didn't work out.

What year did the Seminoles beat us 55-0? Don't recall that one. I do recall the 59-0 sodomizing on national TV in '88.

Worst loss for me was against Auburn in 2005. Blake Mitchell was injured and didn't play so Antonio Heffner was the starter. The first play of the game....was a time out! That set the tone for the game and we got spanked 48-7 on the Plains.

3) Arkansas in 2002. Lou decided he would take over the play calling duties from Skip and how did that work out? We only crossed midfield twice in a 23-0 home loss. Worst offensive performance that I have witnessed from a Gamecock team

Honorable Mention-Ole Miss 2004. We started the year 4-1,in the top 25 and coming up a huge win at Bama. Ole Miss barley beat a Division IAA the week before and had a losing record. We were 17 point favorites yet we lost 31-28 on a last second TD. I still remember the students being in shock after this game with some students crying afterwards. We never recovered after this loss. LONG drive back to Atlanta after this one.

Excellent memory on these! I agree with all of them.

Painful- The 63-17 loss was bad. however stayed to the end and left with my head up to prove to those asshole tiger fans that no matter how they acted they were not going to make me leave MY stadium with my tail between my legs.

Florida 2001- That game was ELECTRIC until Spurrier figured out our defense and we got smacked. Going up 17-0 only made the loss worse.

One that made me madder than I have ever been- Auburn 2011. That is the only game in 20 years of attending games that I ever got asked to leave. Keep in mind I don't drink, so my behavior was not amplified by beer or liquor. The bright spot was that was the last game where Shaw did not start.
The funny thing about that 2001 game is we could have been up by even more. Dropped a pick-six that would have put us up 24-0. The gators eventually scored on that possession. I used to wonder what would have happened in that game had our DB taken that extra one to the house.

Was that the game where NCS kicked a FG to win with no time in the clock?

Seems like I've been to every beatdown, but the most humiliating ones were:
1) FSU 59-0
2) Clemson 63-17
3) SECC game
4) Clemson 45-0
5) UF Blackout 52-7
6) Auburn 49-7

I was going to mention that Auburn game. I believe we took 2 timeout before the first offensive snap. That game was terrible, but the Auburn game the next year was miserable too. It was raining and we were down 14 in the 4th. Watching the game tying TD bounce of Jared Cook's hands was terrible. Not saying we would have won the game, but he was just wide open.

1. 63-17 to Taters in 2003
2. at Navy in 1984 (would have played in Orange Bowl for title)
3. vs The Citadel in 1990 (would have made bowl game)
4. at Tennessee in 2013 (would have won SEC East)
5. at Kentucky in 2012 (would have won SEC East)
6. at Georgia Tech in 1988
7. vs. Clemson in 1999
8. Papa John's Bowl in 2009
9. vs. Florida in 2001
10. (tie) at Kentucky 2014
10. (tie) vs. Missouri 2014
10. (tie) vs. Tennessee 2014

I was at all of these except the game at Navy in 1984. My parents went and l listened on the radio at my grandparents house. I was 8 years old.

We beat Kentucky in 2012.

For me it was Kentucky 2010.

I sat through many, fortunately I wasn't at the 63-17 it would have been the worse but I'll go with at Florida 2012. After our first 3 turnovers Gators had 21 points and only 20 yards of offense and it went downhill form there. Second half we were terrible

The most angry I ever was when leaving a game was the Clem game in '97. Bad, bad coaching is the only reason we lost that one.

The most angry I ever was when leaving a game was the NC State contest in Raleigh when a bogus pass interference in the end zone gave the Pack one more opportunity to score (and they did) and beat us...believe it was in the mid 1980s.

Was pretty pissed leaving Clemson the night of the "push" in 2000.

Citadel

No other is even remotely close
I'm a 1979 Citadel grad so I'm biased ,but The Citadel had a very good team during that period,defeating USC,Army,Navy,and Arkansas all on the road.The worst loss for Carolina was in 1992 to Arkansas 45-0 at home,the week after The Citadel went to Arkansas and beat the Hogs 10-7,causing Arkansas to fire Jack Crowe.This was a huge loss for Sparky Woods and he was fired not too long after.

1986 to NC State. If you were there you know what i"m talking about!
Yes, I was there in the end zone, when the State player pushed off to make the catch and the ref picked up the flag. And the refs had just put back three seconds on the clock, when the game should have been over. And to top that, a replay of that final play showed a State lineman had clearly moved before the snap, but play stood and game over, and one that SC should have won.

Painful- The 63-17 loss was bad. however stayed to the end and left with my head up to prove to those asshole tiger fans that no matter how they acted they were not going to make me leave MY stadium with my tail between my legs.

Florida 2001- That game was ELECTRIC until Spurrier figured out our defense and we got smacked. Going up 17-0 only made the loss worse.

One that made me madder than I have ever been- Auburn 2011. That is the only game in 20 years of attending games that I ever got asked to leave. Keep in mind I don't drink, so my behavior was not amplified by beer or liquor. The bright spot was that was the last game where Shaw did not start.

I was at that game and from a Tiger fans perspective that was enough a$$holes to go around on BOTH sides. I got treated like pure crap and never said a ugly word to anyone. I came with a few gamecock and tiger friends. I have been to many games at both places and that night was about the worst I have ever personally experienced from both sides. It was an ugly scene on the way to the car as well.

2) Papa John's Bowl 2009 vs UConn. I stayed the entire game in the freezing cold just to see us stink it up. I can still hear "Papa's in the House" in my head.

4) UF 2007. No lie this is a true story. Before the game, my friend that came to the game with me from Virginia who is a UT and UF fan (not sure how that is possible) told me that Tebow would score 7 TD's. And that is exactly what happened! He told me afterwards that he didn't really believe that would happen. This came after we gave up 321 and 175 rushing to Darren McFadden and Felix Jones respectively.

5) Auburn 2011-This loss still kills me. No reason to lose this game at home. Honestly, I think we got outcoached in this game. Garcia didn't have it, yet we kept trying to pass it. No reason not to give it to Lattimore more than 17 times. As great of a run we had in 2011-13, I just wonder how much better it could have been if we had won here.

I went to that game with my cousin who is a huge gamecock fan. She couldn't find anyone to go so I went. It was the most miserable game I have ever been to as far as the conditions in the stadium. The play on the field made it that much harder to bear even though I didn't have a dog in the fight. I felt bad for all the gamecocks that traveled to that game. Wish I had stayed home for that one for sure.

Sitting in the student section when this happened right in front of us......November 19, 1977, Clemson WR Jerry Butler made a diving, backwards, 20-yard touchdown reception on a pass from QB Steve Fuller with 49 seconds left in the fourth quarter to give Clemson the 31-27 victory.

63-17. Hate losing to the taters and that was just the worst. Can't believe that QB Whitehurst never lost to us. I'd like to see how he would fare against our current teams.

I think that would depend on if you're putting Whitehurst on today's Clemson teams or teams from his time. The teams he played on never had the overall talent the Clemson teams now have. At the same time he never faced teams as good as recent Gamecock teams. I think if you put him on today's Clemson teams he would do well. He was a good college QB who could make the all the throws and didnt make many mistakes. Although I question how good he would be at the read option packages since he wasn't all that much of a runner.

The 63 to 17 game. If I were carrying a gun I would be serving life for shooting Lou.
Mine as well........personally knew one of the players and was told that Lou did not actively take part in the practices and game planning throughout the week and then Friday night came in and changed the entire defensive plan........that player told me he knew wlking out of the Friday night meetings that it was not going to be a good game.

I was a t a # of the games mentioned above. The loses to CU always sting me the most. Thankfully, I was not at the '89 drubbing nor the 63-17 nightmare. Worst for me was pretty much a tie between 1976 @ Clemson or 1980 @ Clemson. We were heavily favored in both & just crapped the bed in both. Not only had to listen to the trash in the stadium, but had to endure all of the "visual reminders" driving from taterville thru Easley on the way back to Greenville

I think that would depend on if you're putting Whitehurst on today's Clemson teams or teams from his time. The teams he played on never had the overall talent the Clemson teams now have. At the same time he never faced teams as good as recent Gamecock teams. I think if you put him on today's Clemson teams he would do well. He was a good college QB who could make the all the throws and didnt make many mistakes. Although I question how good he would be at the read option packages since he wasn't all that much of a runner.
Good point. Couldnt stand him anyway, i thought we'd win at least one against him.

I was at that game and from a Tiger fans perspective that was enough a$$holes to go around on BOTH sides. I got treated like pure crap and never said a ugly word to anyone. I came with a few gamecock and tiger friends. I have been to many games at both places and that night was about the worst I have ever personally experienced from both sides. It was an ugly scene on the way to the car as well.
Not all of them were a holes just the ones sitting near me. the ones on the way out of the stadium were pretty decent. One told me to come back to his tailgate and have something to eat. There are some fans on both sides who simply cannot handle success. That game was never in doubt after the ball was kicked off. HORRIBLE day. .

ADVERTISEMENT