ADVERTISEMENT

ZION WILLIAMSON Received Improper Benefits To Play At Duke

I would think Duke has an ethical responsibility to either confirm, or deny these allegations.

After all, they are an ACC school, and have model of modern basketball integrity to maintain.
Duke presents the illusion of ethics. But signing all those number one classes in this era of rampant cheating speaks as loudly as Lance Armstrong dominating a sport full of cheaters for a decade.

This is customary In legal discovery. The allegations will be denied at least at first. Will get interesting if he is called for a deposition and has to testify under oath. 19 year olds should not have to be put through this just because a hanger-on wants a piece of the pie.
Zion will not be called under oath. His parents might. But they will not incriminate themselves. Nor will they serve up into making themselves liable for a corrupt non registered agency to recover lost funds.

What is hurting Frank Martin is Frank Martin. His sideline antics matched with his lack of overall success (meaning getting to the tournament) has hurt him. 1 out of 8 years is all any school who consistently gets to the tournament has to say to get a kid not to come here... "Hey Johnny, how do you feel about going to a school that you probably aren't going to make it the dance? You know... you could come to XYZ University and have a chance to make a name for yourself as well as make the dance." If I was one of those kids, I know what I would be doing...

Frank missed his window after the Final Four. Having no success after that run paired with low ranked recruiting classes has found us in the same position we were in prior to the FF run...

I agree. But that’s really the point I’m making. Our Final Four run came at the perfect time. But Williamson was the type of player we needed to change this program. We’re going to get it when programs like Duke, Kansas, and UNC (no probation for fake classes) are clearly getting advantages other schools can’t quite get. On a level playing field, we might have landed Zion. This isn’t the same as Spurrier selling no tradition to a player part of a 25 person class. Basketball recruiting is a different animal. It was one thing to go head to head with a program like Duke...it’s another thing to go head to head with them when you have the shoe companies paying players to go to those school because of the exposure their brand gets. We never had a chance with Zion. Neither did Clemson. Not with this happening.

Based on how it works with these schools and the NCAA, Frank hasn’t gotten it done on the recruiting trail. Honestly, I’m not sure who would though at this point. Not as long as the NCAA is ok allowing the blue bloods to blatantly buy players and get away with no penalties. We have no chance to buy them.

"The former marketing agent for New Orleans Pelicans rookie Zion WIlliamson claims that Williamson took improper benefits from shoe companies to attend Duke University and play basketball there.Prime Sports Marketing president Gina Ford, who is WIlliamson's former marketing agent, in a lawsuit between the company and Williamson has asked the basketball phenom to admit he, his mother and stepfather received "money, benefits, favors or others things of value" to attend Duke.Williamson's mother, Sharonda Sampson, and his stepfather, Lee Anderson, are named in the request that has 11 bullet points and published by Daniel Wallach, the legal analyst for The Athletic."

https://www.newsweek.com/zion-willi...-received-improper-benefits-play-duke-1503017

Clemson and Duke want us to believe that Coach Sweeney and Coach K have such coaching and recruiting skills they are among the elite. Yes built on the personalities of their coaches. I used to say BS. Now I say horsefeathers.

Zion will not be called under oath. His parents might. But they will not incriminate themselves. Nor will they serve up into making themselves liable for a corrupt non registered agency to recover lost funds.

Is it unlawful to receive money from Duke? They sure didn’t do anything to Scam Newton’s daddy, Big Scam.

Reactions: lawcalcock
I agree. But that’s really the point I’m making. Our Final Four run came at the perfect time. But Williamson was the type of player we needed to change this program. We’re going to get it when programs like Duke, Kansas, and UNC (no probation for fake classes) are clearly getting advantages other schools can’t quite get. On a level playing field, we might have landed Zion. This isn’t the same as Spurrier selling no tradition to a player part of a 25 person class. Basketball recruiting is a different animal. It was one thing to go head to head with a program like Duke...it’s another thing to go head to head with them when you have the shoe companies paying players to go to those school because of the exposure their brand gets. We never had a chance with Zion. Neither did Clemson. Not with this happening.

Based on how it works with these schools and the NCAA, Frank hasn’t gotten it done on the recruiting trail. Honestly, I’m not sure who would though at this point. Not as long as the NCAA is ok allowing the blue bloods to blatantly buy players and get away with no penalties. We have no chance to buy them.

I see your points. My frustration is losing out on guys not named Zion to other schools. We are losing them yearly to Alabama, Tennessee, Miss, Vandy, etc (none of whom should really be able to out-recruit us instate)... Take care of what you truly can. A player like Zion would be great to have but it's not happening right now. We need more to get the 4* that are going elsewhere, while we are taking on "project/developmental" players...

Reactions: ansoncock
I see your points. My frustration is losing out on guys not named Zion to other schools. We are losing them yearly to Alabama, Tennessee, Miss, Vandy, etc (none of whom should really be able to out-recruit us instate)... Take care of what you truly can. A player like Zion would be great to have but it's not happening right now. We need more to get the 4* that are going elsewhere, while we are taking on "project/developmental" players...

yep. Agree with that for sure.

Or course we never had a chance with Zion. I resent the fact that Duke is pretending they are recruiting fairly, and year after year get the five star recruits.

It is now up to Duke to issue a statement that they are not providing cash to recruits, and no one is providing cash on their behalf, in order to tip the scales in their favor. They are existing in a house of cards and it is only a matter of time until it collapses, because 18 year olds cannot, and will not keep a secret, nor should they have to.

A brand new car today costs a lot of money for a working person. Just look at what these guys are driving and get them to explain how they came into such a windfall. Follow the money. If you and I worked for the government, starting living large, and had a security clearance, we would be investigated. If we just started spending all kinds of money, the IRS would want to know if we paid taxes on it. Same with these young athletes.

This won't end well for the cheating schools, but we have no make the penalties such that the cheating schools would not want to risk getting caught. Today that is not the case. Louisville (Rick Patino) in the last 5 years was caught in a major scandal, and the school hardly missed a step. They just fired Patino, and escaped most penalties. They are out recruiting us like gang busters. Don't anyone ever tell me that "we just don't have the basketball winning culture" here at USC. Louisville has the cheating culture. And, thanks to the NCAA, it pays off big time.

I am not against these young guys getting money. Only, make it above board and quit the pretense that Duke, UNC, KY, Louisville etc. are just a beautiful schools, and that all the athletes want to go there because it will launch their pro careers, etc. This is shameful.

"The former marketing agent for New Orleans Pelicans rookie Zion WIlliamson claims that Williamson took improper benefits from shoe companies to attend Duke University and play basketball there.Prime Sports Marketing president Gina Ford, who is WIlliamson's former marketing agent, in a lawsuit between the company and Williamson has asked the basketball phenom to admit he, his mother and stepfather received "money, benefits, favors or others things of value" to attend Duke.Williamson's mother, Sharonda Sampson, and his stepfather, Lee Anderson, are named in the request that has 11 bullet points and published by Daniel Wallach, the legal analyst for The Athletic."

https://www.newsweek.com/zion-willi...-received-improper-benefits-play-duke-1503017

Well he’d be pumping gas if he didn’t

After the NCAA let UNC skate for widespread academic fraud, nothing will ever surprise me again.

For over 30 years, UNC handed out A's to athletes for courses that never took place. These free A's helped keep players eligible to compete. Several National Championships were won.

The NCAA let them off the hook.

Duke can also do whatever they want.

Reactions: HOOVERCOCKFAN
Until UNC gets crucified for what it did, kids/schools can do whatever they want as far as I care.

All the kid has to do is make the following statement:

‘I had no knowledge of what my parents were doing, I was a college student.’

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT