ADVERTISEMENT

Zone coverage on defense

uscsos1

Oct 29, 2001
After watching all these teams in the bowl games playing man to man coverage and being in the receivers pockets, I would feel better about next year if we had a new secondary coach. I'm really sick of seeing our secondary playing 10 to 15 yards off the receivers and having to chase them down after they've caught a pass for a first down.

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
Problem is to play Cover 1 you gotta the Athletes to do it . We don’t . Our corners and safeties are just not good enough . If we play cover 1 with the guys we have currently it would big play after big play unfortunately. That’s why elite shutdown corners are some of the highest paid guys in the NFL . Unfortunately we don’t have any Gilmore , Ramsey , Peterson type talents currently .

This is the problem.. Having no help over the top and across the middle of a field makes all of the DBs look bad when it's only terrible safety play...
I'm not smart enough to know this for certain, but if the support behind them is slim wouldn't the corners be coached to give some cushion?

I'm not smart enough to know this for certain, but if the support behind them is slim wouldn't the corners be coached to give some cushion?
No, depending on the coverage you are in... Press man, zone, cover 2 etc... You have to depend on the safeties to do their JOB. especially at the college level. You can get away with it in highschool but if you were to do that in college, OCs would pick you apart. Everyone in the secondary has to do their job at a high level or it can make the whole secondary look bad

He was being flagged everytime I looked.
He got quite a few penalties, I agree. Though some of those people on here were questioning at the time. He is a physical player and that is going to happen sometime. He may be best suited as a safety, but he was respectable as a CB.

We played more cover 1 this year since Muschamp has been here. Considering we didn't have elite pass rush are Corners were solid.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think our corners are fine. Safety is where we have an issue.
exactly, if we had good safeties we would be solid in the secondary...also, we played quite a bit of man coverage and was often right at los, moreso than we have in the past

He got quite a few penalties, I agree. Though some of those people on here were questioning at the time. He is a physical player and that is going to happen sometime. He may be best suited as a safety, but he was respectable as a CB.
He is an OK corner. Most of the time he was beat was when he was matched up with the #1 receiver, and Horn would move over and shut down. Jammie has one of the best coverage grades on the team even at safety/nickel, only problem was Ibe and Roderick we’re constantly out of position or blew coverage.

Our secondary could've been special but our Mother Teresa standards sent em to TN....smdh.

Anybody want to complain about not playing press or man go rewatch the Tenn game. Burnt all night

Horn is elite. Teams never threw against him and they often left him one on one and shifted the safety to help Muk and Jammie Robinson.

Muk and Robinson got burned a few times and struggled with consistency. They have cumulative stats because teams picked on both of them.

Muschamp runs cover 3 and 4, that rolls into pattern match man concepts in some instances, based on over/under calls and match ups. Just like Saban and Smart. He’ll run cover 1 and zero if he’s blitzing.

Muk is stiff in the hips, has problems with balance at the top of routes/breaks, and his ball skills need work. Robinson got lost a lot and cheated with inside leverage and was beat to the sidelines and corners. Muk can be fine if he’s able to be physical at the line and disrupt routes. And if he shows better ball awareness and uses his size. But there is a reason most teams wanted him at safety.

They should be able to figure this out, because Horn can shut down one side of the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT