ADVERTISEMENT

#1 OT in 2024 class just committed to USC!!

Get Blake Franks to go with him and that is a great side of a line. Okay, probably Clemson headed.

If anyone didn’t see it we just got a massive recruiting win, the #1 OT in America for 2024 from Woodland, SC! These are the in-state kids we MUST win in recruiting, a great great pickup
Saw it but until they actually sign, I won’t believe it. Too much NIL money out there to consider a commitment as a done deal.

Saw it but until they actually sign, I won’t believe it. Too much NIL money out there to consider a commitment as a done deal.
Start the NIL payments now!

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

If anyone didn’t see it we just got a massive recruiting win, the #1 OT in America for 2024 from Woodland, SC! These are the in-state kids we MUST win in recruiting, a great great pickup
I know this won't be popular, but once you pop, you can't stop.

This situation raises a very obvious question. How many of you still believe the recruiting services rankings are legitimate? If so, ask yourself one simple question. Since this guy is the BEST Olineman in the entire country, why is he only ranked as a 4*? This means there are absolutely NO offensive linemen in the country worthy of a 5* ranking. This is totally preposterous. Offensive linemen make up about half of every offense in the country, and there are NONE good enough to be 5*??????

This situation raises a very obvious question. How many of you still believe the recruiting services rankings are legitimate? If so, ask yourself one simple question. Since this guy is the BEST Olineman in the entire country, why is he only ranked as a 4*? This means there are absolutely NO offensive linemen in the country worthy of a 5* ranking. This is totally preposterous. Offensive linemen make up about half of every offense in the country, and there are NONE good enough to be 5*??????
I was thinking the same thing.

Reactions: gamecockblack
First off, Rivals ranks him as the 2nd best OT. He is ranked 39 overall by Rivals among all players. There are also two OG's ranked above him, so he is ranked the 4th best OL. Right now only the top 10 players get 5-stars. That usually is spread out to about 35 by signing day. So if he stays at 39, he probably will just be one of the highest rated 4-stars. You must be new to the way Rivals does things, This has been the procedure for quite a while now. Expect 3 or 4 OL to earn 5-stars by signing day. OL are the hardest high schoolers to project to college, so they usually want to see senior film before awarding that 5th star. He is right on the bubble for getting a 5th star. A great pickup.

First off, Rivals ranks him as the 2nd best OT. He is ranked 39 overall by Rivals among all players. There are also two OG's ranked above him, so he is ranked the 4th best OL. Right now only the top 10 players get 5-stars. That usually is spread out to about 35 by signing day. So if he stays at 39, he probably will just be one of the highest rated 4-stars. You must be new to the way Rivals does things, This has been the procedure for quite a while now. Expect 3 or 4 OL to earn 5-stars by signing day. OL are the hardest high schoolers to project to college, so they usually want to see senior film before awarding that 5th star. He is right on the bubble for getting a 5th star. A great pickup.
I wasn't quoting Rivals. I was repeating what was stated on 107.5 radio. I'm not sure but I believe they use composite ratings. Rivals is frequently the outlier and probably least reliable of all the unreliable recruiting sites.

I wasn't quoting Rivals. I was repeating what was stated on 107.5 radio. I'm not sure but I believe they use composite ratings. Rivals is frequently the outlier and probably least reliable of all the unreliable recruiting sites.
If you were wondering they've actually done the math on this, and Rivals won, but it's been a few years. Maybe someone else with a lot of time can do a new comparison.

From the article: "In conclusion, Rivals has predicted the highest number of future first rounders over the last five years with 32. ESPN and 247Sports come in second with 30 total, while Scout brings up the rear with 27."

If you were wondering they've actually done the math on this, and Rivals won, but it's been a few years. Maybe someone else with a lot of time can do a new comparison.

From the article: "In conclusion, Rivals has predicted the highest number of future first rounders over the last five years with 32. ESPN and 247Sports come in second with 30 total, while Scout brings up the rear with 27."

Maybe my sarcasm escaped you. They are all bogus. It makes no difference who the tallest midget is.

If you think Rivals is so legit then answer me 2 questions:
1- It is my understanding they have a fixed number of 5*s every year. It used to be 50 unless they changed since I quit paying attention. How is this possible? Are we to believe that somehow magically there are exactly 50 5*s in the country every year? There are never 51, or 52, or 60, or any other number of players that are good enough to be 5*? I guess that # 51 guy is just not as good as the #50 guy.
2- If these sites truly evaluate players and are experts at it, why do high school players have their ratings change in June and July each year given they have not played a single game since the previous Nov/Dec? How did they suddenly become better or worse football players six months later without playing a single game?

Maybe my sarcasm escaped you. They are all bogus. It makes no difference who the tallest midget is.

If you think Rivals is so legit then answer me 2 questions:
1- It is my understanding they have a fixed number of 5*s every year. It used to be 50 unless they changed since I quit paying attention. How is this possible? Are we to believe that somehow magically there are exactly 50 5*s in the country every year? There are never 51, or 52, or 60, or any other number of players that are good enough to be 5*? I guess that # 51 guy is just not as good as the #50 guy.
2- If these sites truly evaluate players and are experts at it, why do high school players have their ratings change in June and July each year given they have not played a single game since the previous Nov/Dec? How did they suddenly become better or worse football players six months later without playing a single game?
I am a bit biased since I run this site and it's affiliated with Rivals, just thought what I posted was a good objective look at the question you posed.

Recruiting is definitely an imperfect science, but through camps and game tape I think the Rivals national folks do pretty good. Invariably some people are going to fall through the cracks though. As to your last point, Rivals just put out their final update for 2023, so not too long after the hs seasons and all-star games (like Shrine Bowl and UA Game) ended.

I am a bit biased since I run this site and it's affiliated with Rivals, just thought what I posted was a good objective look at the question you posed.

Recruiting is definitely an imperfect science, but through camps and game tape I think the Rivals national folks do pretty good. Invariably some people are going to fall through the cracks though. As to your last point, Rivals just put out their final update for 2023, so not too long after the hs seasons and all-star games (like Shrine Bowl and UA Game) ended.
I understand you work with Rivals, and I'm not trying to single them out. I didn't even mention them in my first post and wasn't talking about them specifically. That was Battleship Texas.

I asked you 2 fundamental questions and you didn't answer them. So I will give you what I believe the answers to be:
1- They set arbitrary limits of the number of 5*s and it is same each year. I do not know what their reasoning is nor how they arrive at the arbitrary number, but it is glaringly obvious that it is bogus. Some years have more top talent than others. That is a given. It's not the same number each year. That's just plain common sense. I suppose it is an easy way for them to put together their lists and they think the general public won't notice.
2- The reason that star rankings change in June & July each year even though these players have not played a game in 6 months, is because June and July are the months that major colleges conduct their summer camps. These coaches evaluate talent all over the country and invite players they think can help their program to thier camps. They bring them in and work them out and evaluate their abilities. This is even better than watching film or HS games as they can evaluate the best players in person against each other. After this lots of scholarship offers are made. Then miraculously, the Star Evaluations change. It's simply a case of the cart pulling the horse with these recruiting services. Alabama doesn't win championships because they have the highest rated players. They have the highest rated players because they win championships.

The point is that Rivals and a lot of recruiting places don't give out the fifth star this early. That is why someone can be at or near the top of a position and still just be a four star. As they get closer to signing day they increase the number of 5 stars. Like Rivals will slowly go from 10 to 35. The question was "Since this guy is the BEST Olineman in the entire country, why is he only ranked as a 4*? " That is why.

The point is that Rivals and a lot of recruiting places don't give out the fifth star this early. That is why someone can be at or near the top of a position and still just be a four star. As they get closer to signing day they increase the number of 5 stars. Like Rivals will slowly go from 10 to 35. The question was "Since this guy is the BEST Olineman in the entire country, why is he only ranked as a 4*? " That is why.
That was my point. Right now they don't consider any Olinemen worthy of a 5* ranking. This is HALF of all offenses in the country and no 5*s yet. But, just wait until June when all the elite programs start to offer these guys scholarships and watch the rankings miraculously change. It's a joke.

Reactions: Neanderthal
That was my point. Right now they don't consider any Olinemen worthy of a 5* ranking. This is HALF of all offenses in the country and no 5*s yet. But, just wait until June when all the elite programs start to offer these guys scholarships and watch the rankings miraculously change. It's a joke.
When the final star rankings are in, there will be 4 or 5 OL among them. Right now, with only about ten 5-stars, half defense, and naturally 2 or 3 QBs, with a RB and WR or 2, there just aren't any yet. Once senior film is in, the more difficult to rank OL will be added. I don't see it as a joke, but the natural order of things.

When the final star rankings are in, there will be 4 or 5 OL among them. Right now, with only about ten 5-stars, half defense, and naturally 2 or 3 QBs, with a RB and WR or 2, there just aren't any yet. Once senior film is in, the more difficult to rank OL will be added. I don't see it as a joke, but the natural order of things.
The last HS games played were in early Dec. It is now almost Feb. So you think the film is not in yet? I guess it will miraculously arrive in June just in time for them to change the individual rankings? BS!!! They got the guy ranked as a 4* now. They must have already seen film etc in order to give him a ranking in the first place. Is he going to get a alot better somehow in the next few months so they can upgrade him. Of course not. It is a joke. These web sites are media people, not professional coaches or scouts. They are in the business to make money not evaluate talent. They do that by duping people like you into believing they are legit.

The last HS games played were in early Dec. It is now almost Feb. So you think the film is not in yet? I guess it will miraculously arrive in June just in time for them to change the individual rankings? BS!!! They got the guy ranked as a 4* now. They must have already seen film etc in order to give him a ranking in the first place. Is he going to get a alot better somehow in the next few months so they can upgrade him. Of course not. It is a joke. These web sites are media people, not professional coaches or scouts. They are in the business to make money not evaluate talent. They do that by duping people like you into believing they are legit.

These guys have another full year of HS football left to play.

The junior film is in. Senior film is not. Most of those OL who get five stars will get it during senior year.

Reactions: Caleb Alexander
The junior film is in. Senior film is not. Most of those OL who get five stars will get it during senior year.
The recruiting cycle for Juniors has already begun. Most will have offers by August, before their Sr year. Any school making offers after the Sr year are late to the game. The early signing period will be right after the Sr season has ended. Stars and evaluations after then are meaningless. Of course that would fit right in with the operations of the recruiting sites. If they wait until after the Sr year and all recruits are signed then they can truly "predict" yesterday's weather. Of course even their mind numb followers would question them if they did that.

The recruiting cycle for Juniors has already begun. Most will have offers by August, before their Sr year. Any school making offers after the Sr year are late to the game. The early signing period will be right after the Sr season has ended. Stars and evaluations after then are meaningless. Of course that would fit right in with the operations of the recruiting sites. If they wait until after the Sr year and all recruits are signed then they can truly "predict" yesterday's weather. Of course even their mind numb followers would question them if they did that.
I am not sure what that has to do with anything. Colleges have much more detailed info on who they want than recruiting services. No college coach would survive long relying on Rivals or On3 for their recruiting info. A lot of the fifth stars are given out after players are committed.

I am not sure what that has to do with anything. Colleges have much more detailed info on who they want than recruiting services. No college coach would survive long relying on Rivals or On3 for their recruiting info. A lot of the fifth stars are given out after players are committed.
I think you are making my point here and I agree.

ADVERTISEMENT