ADVERTISEMENT

10 years ago (I know-quit living in the past)

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
We were finally a nationally respected football program. Just wrapped up the 5peat, were bringing in top talent, had winning steaks against other top programs too like UGA and would win the Capital One bowl to finish #4 in the final rankings. 2014 would end up being a decent season but after that the wheels completely fell off. The baseball team also was coming off three straight trips to the title series and winning two national titles. In 2013 they didn't make it to Omaha but would make it to the super regional against UNC only to fall short.

Those were the glory years for Carolina sports. Now ten years later thanks to poor hires by a bone headed, unqualified AD (who is on a lifetime contract it seems and is still inexplicably allowed to hire new coaches) we find ourselves back in the black hole we supposedly had dug ourselves out of back then and with no end in sight.

The Garnet Way.

Last edited:
We were finally a nationally respected football program. Just wrapped up the 5peat, were bringing in top talent, had winning steaks against other top programs too like UGA and would win the Capital One bowl to finish #4 in the final rankings. 2014 would end up being a decent season but after that the wheels completely fell off. The baseball team also was coming off three straight trips to the title series and winning two national titles. In 2013 they didn't make it to Omaha but would make it to the super regional against UNC only to fall short.

Those were the glory years for Carolina sports. Now ten years later thanks to poor hires by a bone headed, unqualified AD (who is on a lifetime contract it seems and is still inexplicably allowed to hire new coaches) we find ourselves back in the black hole we supposedly had dug ourselves out of back then and with no end in sight.

The Garnet Way.

The euphoria caused us to make the baseball coach the AD and let him make critical football decisions. That’s where it all began to fall. A few other things contributed. I dont like criticizing kids by name, but Spurrier had signed a 4-star QB who just absolutely did not work out, at all, and a few other star recruits just didnt work out. That lead to 2015 falling apart.

The euphoria caused us to make the baseball coach the AD and let him make critical football decisions. That’s where it all began to fall. A few other things contributed. I dont like criticizing kids by name, but Spurrier had signed a 4-star QB who just absolutely did not work out, at all, and a few other star recruits just didnt work out. That lead to 2015 falling apart.
True. I think the first thing Ray did as AD was give everyone on the football staff a raise. That was probably warranted but I think he was hoping Spurrier would coach for another five more years if money kept getting thrown at him and a future exit plan should have been in place instead. I think Ray was putting off the coaching search because of the importance of getting it just right and the magnitude of it. Then when Spurrier resigned it put an unprepared Ray in the hot seat. Ray is a great ambassador but unfortunately hires and fires are also part of his job duties and that's the part he's bombed at.

Can we name all the terrible QBs we had that didn't work out? I've forgotten them all. I remember someone here claiming McEvoy was the second coming.

BTW the BOT and Tanner all suck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT