ADVERTISEMENT

$100,000 to do this...

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
"Check in with President Pastides and Ray Tanner a little bit... and wear my visor all over the place." Couldn't he just do that without being paid about 1.5 times what the average professor makes?

Just wondering.

Cronyism - You don't get fired from our athletic department - you get reassigned. Glad that Gamecock Club dues went up to support our programs.

It's a shame that Brad Scott wasn't given a lifetime position for delivering our football team's first bowl win.

Spurrier got old and ran out of steam. I believe, although I have no proof, he was talked into staying longer than he wished. Not to put too fine a point on it but to compare his $100k salary to the average professor's is specious. If an "average" professor can bring the buzz Spurrier can then they aren't average..really not a valid comparison. Further, I wonder just how much money Spurrier donated to the University during his coaching tenure. Many hundreds of thousands I believe.

Spurrier got old and ran out of steam. I believe, although I have no proof, he was talked into staying longer than he wished. Not to put too fine a point on it but to compare his $100k salary to the average professor's is specious. If an "average" professor can bring the buzz Spurrier can then they aren't average..really not a valid comparison. Further, I wonder just how much money Spurrier donated to the University during his coaching tenure. Many hundreds of thousands I believe.
Irrefutable.

Yeah, but the optics are bad. SC is a poor state. SOS is being paid approx 3x the median income of the state to do nothing. Talk about a golden parachute. You can come up with all the nice sounding explanations you want for a guy who never won a championship at SC, but the fact remains we paid him tens of millions. It just doesn't look good.

Yeah, but the optics are bad. SC is a poor state. SOS is being paid approx 3x the median income of the state to do nothing. Talk about a golden parachute. You can come up with all the nice sounding explanations you want for a guy who never won a championship at SC, but the fact remains we paid him tens of millions. It just doesn't look good.

4ff8d695b61c3e66f4379acdb73299c9.jpg

How do you know what he is doing? Please, do tell.

"Check in with President Pastides and Ray Tanner a little bit... and wear my visor all over the place." Couldn't he just do that without being paid about 1.5 times what the average professor makes?

Just wondering.
Spurrier did a good job in his first years at USC and the last two years he failed miserably. He quit the team and then finally quit the program in the middle of the season.

He should not be paid to do anything by USC and thank goodness he is gone from the football program.

For a person/personality like Steve freakin' Spurrier, $100K is nothing. He could make that in a matter of weeks if not days on the speaking circuit. But that obviously isn't his thing, so we still have him at USC. Would you rather him be doing this at UF?

Reactions: BigTomE
I take it that you aren't very good in math?
I actually had to think about this. Is he saying that the average professor makes $66,666.66 (2/3 of $100,000)? I'm guessing it's higher than that, particularly for associate professors and full professors.

For a person/personality like Steve freakin' Spurrier, $100K is nothing. He could make that in a matter of weeks if not days on the speaking circuit. But that obviously isn't his thing, so we still have him at USC. Would you rather him be doing this at UF?
Spurrier is making USC athletics look like pathetic losers. He trashed our football program and we are still treating him like he is our hero.

Actually, the Spurrier's have donated over a million dollars to the university! :)

You could not get a PR firm to get anything like the good will and exposure that Spurrier provides for that level of money. In spite of what some poor half empty whiners say, I think its a good deal for Carolina. Obviously Tanner and the administration think so too. The multi millions paid to all coaches and pro player stars is outrageous but apparently necessary to satisfy the win lust of fans.

I actually had to think about this. Is he saying that the average professor makes $66,666.66 (2/3 of $100,000)? I'm guessing it's higher than that, particularly for associate professors and full professors.
Thanks for taking the time for thinking it out, 76. About 85% of Americans probably couldn't get that question right on a test.
Here's a link to USC's GlassDoor Salaries. Asst. Professor averages $70K, which is what most professors are at USC. So it's in the ballpark 2/3 what Spurrier gets paid.

Thanks for taking the time for thinking it out, 76. About 85% of Americans probably couldn't get that question right on a test.
Here's a link to USC's GlassDoor Salaries. Asst. Professor averages $70K, which is what most professors are at USC. So it's in the ballpark 2/3 what Spurrier gets paid.
I'm a lawyer, but I can still do a little bit of math.

I'm pretty sure you're misusing that website. These are self-reported salaries. It shows only 6 associate professors, and no professors at all that I could see. So you can't extrapolate anything from assistant professor salaries other than that they are more likely to post their information on this website.

Your book? That tired ole boring repetitive piece of junk? Nobody cares about your book. You cherry pick one quote and totally distort it.
Oh and "liberal"? You are so off base you cant see it. But at least you are consistent.

Your book? That tired ole boring repetitive piece of junk? Nobody cares about your book. You cherry pick one quote and totally distort it.
Cherry pick?! Ha ha! That's exactly what the man said he's doing in exchange for the $100k. Can you not read?

Cherry pick?! Ha ha! That's exactly what the man said he's doing in exchange for the $100k. Can you not read?
I can read. I also know what the hell he means and its not just walking around with a Visor on like you insinuated.

Are they here?
I guess they would be if we offered to pay them to just walk around wearing a hat. But, doesn't Fogler still live in Cola? Didn't McGuire still live in Cola until his death? We didn't pay them to wear hats, did we Comrade?

Actually, the Spurrier's have donated over a million dollars to the university! :)

Yeh, after being paid millions by the Gamecock Club.

It doesn't matter. This has been discussed so many times. Based on our football program's history, I guess we should expect to be disrespected like this.

Going to the media and further explaining how little he is actually doing is just disrespecting us even more.

I'm debating not renewing my Gamecock Club membership and just buying (better) tickets off the street from scalpers. You can get tickets for free or for $10 for 50% of our home games. The rest you can get for slightly over face value. I want to support the University but I don't want to support cronyism.

Reactions: Atlanta Cock
I can read. I also know what the hell he means and its not just walking around with a Visor on like you insinuated.
Well, you can live in dreamland where you just make stuff up to support your narrative. However, I choose to live in the real world where I take the man's statement at face value. But, none of this changes the fact that the optics are bad. If you disagree, I really don't care.

I guess they would be if we offered to pay them to just walk around wearing a hat. But, doesn't Fogler still live in Cola? Didn't McGuire still live in Cola until his death? We didn't pay them to wear hats, did we Comrade?
Um I believe Spurrier is still in an Administrative role so your argument is as pointless as you are.

Reactions: nikolas22
Um I believe Spurrier is still in an Administrative role so your argument is as pointless as you are.
Your head is as hard as granite. The "Administrative role" is to promote USC. According to the man himself, all he does is walk around or play golf with a USC visor. If that's worth $100k to you, then you pay him.

The truth is he was originally supposed to act as an advisor to the AD. If he did that, I'd be cool with the pay.

Your head is a hard as granite. The "Administrative role" is to promote USC. According to the man himself, all he does is walk around or play golf with a USC visor. If that's worth $100k to you, then you pay him.

The truth is he was originally supposed to act as an advisor to the AD. If he did that, I'd be cool with the pay.
You are as dumb as a brick. If you think Spurrier listed his his entire job description in an off the cuff remark then there is no helping you

So what? How much money did they bring in?
Don't know, but I know the the university is funded by grants awarded to professors to do research and doesn't receive money from the athletic department to pay salaries, scholarships, etc. Athletic money is athletic money.
Not sure how much research the Athletic department is doing to fight cancer, preserve historical archives, or invent new technologies, (and many other things) but I do know that's the goal of institutions like USC.
Spurrier as an ambassador for the university is all about sports. It's not about education and research. Not sure why he's being paid by the university to "wear his visor" and "go here and there" - which is what he does (you won't find the job description for "ambassador" anywhere in a public document about USC's finances). Spurrier's a spokesperson associated with our brand and we are "sponsoring" him to be one of the faces of USC so that when he's out in public so is our name (on his visor). Seems like he would/could do it for free - especially given the circumstances of his departure - and that money could fund a scholarship for a first time college attendee or an upgrade to one of our research facilities. But by all means, keep the insults coming. I love grumpy old trolls.

Don't know, but I know the the university is funded by grants awarded to professors to do research and doesn't receive money from the athletic department to pay salaries, scholarships, etc. Athletic money is athletic money.
Not sure how much research the Athletic department is doing to fight cancer, preserve historical archives, or invent new technologies, (and many other things) but I do know that's the goal of institutions like USC.
Spurrier as an ambassador for the university is all about sports. It's not about education and research. Not sure why he's being paid by the university to "wear his visor" and "go here and there" - which is what he does (you won't find the job description for "ambassador" anywhere in a public document about USC's finances). Spurrier's a spokesperson associated with our brand and we are "sponsoring" him to be one of the faces of USC so that when he's out in public so is our name (on his visor). Seems like he would/could do it for free - especially given the circumstances of his departure - and that money could fund a scholarship for a first time college attendee or an upgrade to one of our research facilities. But by all means, keep the insults coming. I love grumpy old trolls.
lol. You better do some research yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT