ADVERTISEMENT

$100,000 to do this...

USC-1: Are you a Gamecock Club member?

How much did you donate during the past 2 seasons?

How much are you donating this year to support our quitter's fake job (as if faking the past few years weren't enough)?

Gamecock Club members have a right to be pissed. Spurrier is the equivalent of destroying a company as CEO then given a cushy executive job afterwards - investors generally don't like that.

Hmmm, hiring a quitter of a 3-9 team to promote your program doesn't seem like a real good idea.

I fully support Coach Muschamp but am sorry he was left with the mess he was.

Hmmm, hiring our former coach who has the most wins in school history sounds like a fantastic idea to me. Three back to back 11 win seasons with more bowl wins than ever. Sounds pretty awesome.

How much are you donating this year to support our quitter's fake job (as if faking the past few years weren't enough)?

Gamecock Club members have a right to be pissed. Spurrier is the equivalent of destroying a company as CEO then given a cushy executive job afterwards - investors generally don't like that.
You're like reading a political talking point. Spurrier hasnt ruined anything or destroyed anything, and yes I am more then happy to pay him to work in favor of our Unviversity.

The answer is yes, and 2 years? How about 20 years.

Hmmm, hiring our former coach who has the most wins in school history sounds like a fantastic idea to me. Three back to back 11 win seasons with more bowl wins than ever. Sounds pretty awesome.
You conveniently forget that he deserted our team and quit them in the middle of a 3-9 season. He also left our program in very sad shape.

I see this no reason to celebrate.

I'll donate whatever I feel like donating.
Millions? Gotta link? I doubt that's true. There are a bunch who are glad he's gone and a bunch who don't like the way he left last season.

Sure, no problem

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Atlanta+Cock,+one+of+only+3+schmucks+who+doesn't+like+Spurrier+

You conveniently forget that he deserted our team and quit them in the middle of a 3-9 season. He also left our program in very sad shape.

I see this no reason to celebrate.

...........as you conveniently leave out and forget his accolades. Our 3-9 win season would have happened with him or without him. Better to step out of the way if your head and heart aren't in it.

So what do you plan on doing about it? Write Tanner a letter? Protest? I bet he GAF.

...........as you conveniently leave out and forget his accolades. Our 3-9 win season would have happened with him or without him. Better to step out of the way if your head and heart aren't in it.

So what do you plan on doing about it? Write Tanner a letter? Protest? I bet he GAF.
Spurrier was responsible for the 3-9 season. The season before was not that much better either.

I fault Spurrier for not resigning two years earlier and hanging around and allowing our program to decline.

Screw protesting - I'll continue to support the Gamecock Club.

UGA fans are willing to spend a lot of money for tickets this year.

I'm sure Clemson fans will spend a good bit next year (considering they played for the National Championship while our quitter chickened out).

If the cronyism is helping them make a buck, I might as well too.

I don't call you names just because I don't agree with you. What's your deal? There's a lot of people who don't like him. In fact, there were plenty of SC fans who weren't enamored when we first hired him. They thought he was arrogant and would RUTS on anybody. I wasn't one of them. I liked him. But, I don't like how he ran the program his final 2 years and I don't like the way he quit. In my view, he's deserving of recognition as being our winningest coach, but he's undeserving of additional pay given the way he quit. On a broader scale, I never think any coach is ever larger than the program.

I don't call you names just because I don't agree with you. What's your deal? There's a lot of people who don't like him. In fact, there were plenty of SC fans who weren't enamored when we first hired him. They thought he was arrogant and would RUTS on anybody. I wasn't one of them. I liked him. But, I don't like how he ran the program his final 2 years and I don't like the way he quit. In my view, he's deserving of recognition as being our winningest coach, but he's undeserving of additional pay given the way he quit. On a broader scale, I never think any coach is ever larger than the program.
You are correct on all points here.

Why do you think the board and Dr Pastidies do believe he is an asset and paying him for it is ok? I'm serious Is it all possible there is much more going on in the background then we know? Would it surprise you if Spurrier came out and made another donation back to the University after receiving this money?

Why do you think the board and Dr Pastidies do believe he is an asset and paying him for it is ok? I'm serious Is it all possible there is much more going on in the background then we know? Would it surprise you if Spurrier came out and made another donation back to the University after receiving this money?
I don't know, but you've gone way off course. My initial post spoke of the bad optics. I can't speak to why the decision was made or for that matter who made the decision. But, it looks bad. A coach who quit on us is getting paid for, in his own words, walking around wearing a visor. If you disagree, fine. But, I can tell you that outside the SC fanbase, the way SOS quit on us is not viewed favorably or as a justified act whatsoever. He is viewed as just sh*tting on us the way he quit. Maybe you are surrounded by SC fans and you don't understand what I'm talking about. But, I'm around non-SC fans everyday. Paying him just isn't a good optic.

Yeah, damn right you will. Speaking of chickening out.............

You must not have read the rest of my post.

And for your buddy that thinks the AD and board make such great decisions - we continued to pay the quitter for the remainder of the year. They're clowns worse than the federal government when it comes to fiscal decisions.

Look at the latest weight room fiasco.

Uhh........they do if the cushy executive is bringing in 20 times more revenue than he's being paid. You'll do well in the stock market.......bwahahahahahah

Reactions: USC-1
I'm sure Coach Spurrier gets more than enough donations and endorsements for the University to pay him the small salary he is getting. He is probably making less than Brad Scott @ Clemson but is a helluva lot more valuable.

I think that Atlanta Cock may be exhibiting signs of a fragmented party - the one raging in his own head.

Uhh........they do if the cushy executive is bringing in 20 times more revenue than he's being paid. You'll do well in the stock market.......bwahahahahahah

Doubt he's brought in +8 million (the amount the lazy quitter stole from us the past two years).

Oh wait.. he took an 8-5 team to get crushed in Atlanta. Awesome job.

We deserve a 3-9 record.

Doubt he's brought in +8 million (the amount the lazy quitter stole from us the past two years).

Oh wait.. he took an 8-5 team to get crushed in Atlanta. Awesome job.

We deserve a 3-9 record.
lol.Spurrier was and is worth waaay more then what we paid him. Get over it. I'd give him another 8 million for beating those Orange bastards 5 years in a row.

I don't know, but you've gone way off course. My initial post spoke of the bad optics. I can't speak to why the decision was made or for that matter who made the decision. But, it looks bad. A coach who quit on us is getting paid for, in his own words, walking around wearing a visor. If you disagree, fine. But, I can tell you that outside the SC fanbase, the way SOS quit on us is not viewed favorably or as a justified act whatsoever. He is viewed as just sh*tting on us the way he quit. Maybe you are surrounded by SC fans and you don't understand what I'm talking about. But, I'm around non-SC fans everyday. Paying him just isn't a good optic.
Why do you give a shit what a UGA fan says?

Spurrier as coach, Millions of dollars from UA and the SEC, upgraded facilities that match most in the country, fan base that is as loyal as any.. so tell me what was keeping us from winning the SEC?
Great point. Why didn't we even make it to the SECCG (except during an 8-4 season that included a win over #1 Alabama and a loss to putrid KY)?

Poor coaching and program management. During the 10-2 years, Spurrier let things get away from him. He probably got tired or bored because he spent 50+ years in football. He also felt like he had "done it" at that point - he built a program that had never seen those highs and had never beaten Clemson 5 years in a row (even though we never went back to the SECCG). Spurrier basked in the glory of his own success... and then he let the culture become lazy and completely nepotistic. He still had some solid pieces to work with (and according to Muschamp we still do have solid pieces), which led to 2014-15 when the most prolific offense in USC history ended in 6-6 season - because of the worst defense in USC history.

Spurrier definitely built a program at USC. He didn't run it into the ground and he let his success lead him to 3-9 - even though he knew he didn't want to coach anymore. I still don't see why we have to pay him $100K to be our "aw shucks" ambassador. When he tells his story about how he just didn't "give a dang" anymore makes our program look pretty silly for putting loyalty to one person ahead of the success of the entire program.

Imagine if that were a business. "Well you see I had this job that paid me $4 million. I liked it pretty well for a while, but then I just didn't give a dang anymore and I kind of let things get away from me. I didn't try real hard and I just sorta watched my employees go through the motions. Then all of a sudden our revenues dropped by 75%, but before we hit rock bottom, I decided it was time to give the next guy a chance to save our sinking ship. It didn't work out too well, but the company really liked me and is keeping me around as kind of a mascot this that and the other. Oh yeah, they're paying me a little bit to do that. Why? Well people really know who I am and it gives this company some exposure. People think my story is kind of cute because I jazz it up with a bunch of 'aw shucksy' sort of language - like 'I just sorta lost my give a dang.' I think I'll hang around for a while. At least until something better comes along."

Great point. Why didn't we even make it to the SECCG (except during an 8-4 season that included a win over #1 Alabama and a loss to putrid KY)?

Poor coaching and program management. During the 10-2 years, Spurrier let things get away from him. He probably got tired or bored because he spent 50+ years in football. He also felt like he had "done it" at that point - he built a program that had never seen those highs and had never beaten Clemson 5 years in a row (even though we never went back to the SECCG). Spurrier basked in the glory of his own success... and then he let the culture become lazy and completely nepotistic. He still had some solid pieces to work with (and according to Muschamp we still do have solid pieces), which led to 2014-15 when the most prolific offense in USC history ended in 6-6 season - because of the worst defense in USC history.

Spurrier definitely built a program at USC. He didn't run it into the ground and he let his success lead him to 3-9 - even though he knew he didn't want to coach anymore. I still don't see why we have to pay him $100K to be our "aw shucks" ambassador. When he tells his story about how he just didn't "give a dang" anymore makes our program look pretty silly for putting loyalty to one person ahead of the success of the entire program.

Imagine if that were a business. "Well you see I had this job that paid me $4 million. I liked it pretty well for a while, but then I just didn't give a dang anymore and I kind of let things get away from me. I didn't try real hard and I just sorta watched my employees go through the motions. Then all of a sudden our revenues dropped by 75%, but before we hit rock bottom, I decided it was time to give the next guy a chance to save our sinking ship. It didn't work out too well, but the company really liked me and is keeping me around as kind of a mascot this that and the other. Oh yeah, they're paying me a little bit to do that. Why? Well people really know who I am and it gives this company some exposure. People think my story is kind of cute because I jazz it up with a bunch of 'aw shucksy' sort of language - like 'I just sorta lost my give a dang.' I think I'll hang around for a while. At least until something better comes along."
They are keeping him around to raise money. He does that just as well as he coached football.

When you've donated as much money to USC as the Spurriers, you' ll have a right to complain. Both SOS and Holtz saved us a boat load of money by going out voluntarily. If they stayed til firing time $$$ and lots of it. I suspect SOS buys a lot more positive pr around college football for USC than a card carrying anti-USC everything Atlanta Cock.

Reactions: tngamecock#
What HI Cock said.

But, I'll play along. How does it help our recruiting to pay a multi-millionaire who will always be thought of as a Gator?

You do realize that there's not one 18 year old out there who remembers Spurrier at UF don't you? His name alone helps us. I'm glad he's out of coaching now, and I hope he's on our payroll for a long time.

You do realize that there's not one 18 year old out there who remembers Spurrier at UF don't you? His name alone helps us. I'm glad he's out of coaching now, and I hope he's on our payroll for a long time.
Yes, but those 18 year olds know that Spurrier ran our program into the ground and quit in the middle of a 3-9 season. Our "praising" him just shows that we have the bar for success set very low.

ass_clown_zps6fc18040.jpg

Yes, but those 18 year olds know that Spurrier ran our program into the ground and quit in the middle of a 3-9 season. Our "praising" him just shows that we have the bar for success set very low.
Cola, c'mon dude. The man is a millionaire. He can go live anywhere in the world and do anything he wants to do.
I know how you feel...you've repeated it nearly a million times.
But what has he chose to do? He has chose to stay in Cola and help the Gamecocks. And I seriously doubt he's doing it for $1g a year.
I won't speculate on why, because only he and Jeri know for sure. But you have to be smart enough to know that his legacy will continue to bring attention to the program. And any way he can help contribute to the success of the program should be accepted.
Just stop and think about how stupid it would look for us to turn our backs on Spurrier and run him in the ground. We would be the laughing stock of the college football world for dissing the man that won more games in the programs history, most bowl wins, etc. and one of the sports all-time greats. He's a legend, and he's legendary to USC and he garners media attention. He could be doing it for his alma mater where he won a Heisman and went on to coach them to a NC, but he's not. He chose to stay and help USC.
I just don't understand why you can't get past the way his career ended and let it go, and see what he's doing now and except it as a positive.
And to be honest I really don't care.
I just get sick of seeing posers and fools ramble on about it.

So if Spurrier stayed and finished 3-9 what would you have said? The same damn thing you are now. At least he had the foresight to give the program another chance without him. damn dude

Please give a list of 18 year olds that you know have stated this, including you're "ran the program into the ground" quote, where they played high school ball, where they chose to play college football and what they think of coach Spurrier in the realm of the sport overall.
I really don't expect a massive list, but since you assume they all know I expect you can toss out 5-6 fairly quickly.
OK, drop the quote and their background, but just include what they think about Spurrier and his career. I'm sure you can spit out 5-6 of those pretty quick since they all know and you have insight on it.

Come on man...go

Please give a list of 18 year olds that you know have stated this, including you're "ran the program into the ground" quote, where they played high school ball, where they chose to play college football and what they think of coach Spurrier in the realm of the sport overall.
I really don't expect a massive list, but since you assume they all know I expect you can toss out 5-6 fairly quickly.
OK, drop the quote and their background, but just include what they think about Spurrier and his career. I'm sure you can spit out 5-6 of those pretty quick since they all know and you have insight on it.

Come on man...go
Don't act like it's past your bedtime now. Name em

You do realize that outside of a few delusional SC fans the rest of the universe views him as a Gator, don't you? If you don't you need to get out of the state more often.

Nice dodge. answer my question.
It hurts by making us look small. It smacks of cronyism. No other major program does it. Notre Dame doesn't pay Holtz to wear a hat. Clemp doesn't pay Ford to wear a hat. UGA doesn't pay Dooley to wear a hat. In fact, SOS is Mr. Gator but UF doesn't pay him to wear a hat. I keep saying the same thing but you're ignoring it because you disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, but the optics are bad.

You keep saying it helps. Point to me one thing he's done since quitting that has helped us. Show me any money he has raised since October. Identify any recruit he helped influence to us and any facility he helped to promote to alumni or the BOT since he unceremoniously bolted. I can't think of anything. It's cronyism. He's being paid solely because he's Steve freaking Spurrier, and we're still so insecure we feel we have to buy his loyalty. It stinks and it just further proves Tanner is in over his head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT