ADVERTISEMENT

$100,000 to do this...

Yes, but those 18 year olds know that Spurrier ran our program into the ground and quit in the middle of a 3-9 season. Our "praising" him just shows that we have the bar for success set very low.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but who built it up to even be "ran into the ground?" We had one losing season. The season before, we should have won 10-11 games again had we had a defensive scheme that was even average. Do you remember the double digit leads blown in the 4th quarter? Should have won those games with even a half ass defense..........it wasn't talent, it was coaching and scheme. Running the program into the ground........the words of FGF realists. As long as they don't read FGF, they probably don't have that take on SOS.

Look, no doubt he stayed a year too long. Hindsight always 20/20 remember? But he did not intentionally run anything into the ground. Those same 18 year old kids also remember our three 11 win years and were 16 when we finished 4th in the nation.

But everyone has their opinion, and I think we are going to be better than everyone is predicting. JMO

Reactions: SportsSuites1
You do realize that outside of a few delusional SC fans the rest of the universe views him as a Gator, don't you? If you don't you need to get out of the state more often.

You do realize I live in TN ? I'm in the middle of UT Vol fans daily...............they basically respect the hell out of SOS around here and love to hate him because he beats them historically. Every caller to every talk show I've ever heard starts with "I hate him and love to beat him, but I wish he was our coach" or "he's one heck of a coach."

The bigger question............why am I trying to explain or debate you in anything related to the Gamecocks? It's like debating a Clemsux fan. Oh wait.

You do realize I live in TN ? I'm in the middle of UT Vol fans daily...............they basically respect the hell out of SOS around here and love to hate him because he beats them historically. Every caller to every talk show I've ever heard starts with "I hate him and love to beat him, but I wish he was our coach" or "he's one heck of a coach."

The bigger question............why am I trying to explain or debate you in anything related to the Gamecocks? It's like debating a Clemsux fan. Oh wait.
What is the point of your post? Who cares what Vols think?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but who built it up to even be "ran into the ground?" We had one losing season. The season before, we should have won 10-11 games again had we had a defensive scheme that was even average. Do you remember the double digit leads blown in the 4th quarter? Should have won those games with even a half ass defense..........it wasn't talent, it was coaching and scheme. Running the program into the ground........the words of FGF realists. As long as they don't read FGF, they probably don't have that take on SOS.

Look, no doubt he stayed a year too long. Hindsight always 20/20 remember? But he did not intentionally run anything into the ground. Those same 18 year old kids also remember our three 11 win years and were 16 when we finished 4th in the nation.

But everyone has their opinion, and I think we are going to be better than everyone is predicting. JMO
To use your obsession with Clemp to prove my point, Clemp blew past us under SOS's watch.

Cola, c'mon dude. The man is a millionaire. He can go live anywhere in the world and do anything he wants to do.
I know how you feel...you've repeated it nearly a million times.
But what has he chose to do? He has chose to stay in Cola and help the Gamecocks. And I seriously doubt he's doing it for $1g a year.
I won't speculate on why, because only he and Jeri know for sure. But you have to be smart enough to know that his legacy will continue to bring attention to the program. And any way he can help contribute to the success of the program should be accepted.
Just stop and think about how stupid it would look for us to turn our backs on Spurrier and run him in the ground. We would be the laughing stock of the college football world for dissing the man that won more games in the programs history, most bowl wins, etc. and one of the sports all-time greats. He's a legend, and he's legendary to USC and he garners media attention. He could be doing it for his alma mater where he won a Heisman and went on to coach them to a NC, but he's not. He chose to stay and help USC.
I just don't understand why you can't get past the way his career ended and let it go, and see what he's doing now and except it as a positive.
And to be honest I really don't care.
I just get sick of seeing posers and fools ramble on about it.
Has it every occurred to you that Spurrier is seen as a quitter who deserted his team in the middle of a 3-9 season and they don't want him? Only a fan base like USC that has no history of success would welcome a quitter with open arms.

I can't accept it as a positive because it is not a positive! Before calling others fools, you may want to look inward.

So if Spurrier stayed and finished 3-9 what would you have said? The same damn thing you are now. At least he had the foresight to give the program another chance without him. damn dude
I would have said that he was loyal to the team even though he allowed the program to fall into a very sad state.

Sorry, but I don't think quitters should be given high regard and praise.

Please give a list of 18 year olds that you know have stated this, including you're "ran the program into the ground" quote, where they played high school ball, where they chose to play college football and what they think of coach Spurrier in the realm of the sport overall.
I really don't expect a massive list, but since you assume they all know I expect you can toss out 5-6 fairly quickly.
OK, drop the quote and their background, but just include what they think about Spurrier and his career. I'm sure you can spit out 5-6 of those pretty quick since they all know and you have insight on it.

Come on man...go
I suspect there are some loser 18 year olds who are awed by quitters. I just don't know any.

Yes, we had a losing season, a head coach who quit in the middle of the season and a decimated program that will take years to rebuild. Spurrier is responsible for all of that!

Has it every occurred to you that Spurrier is seen as a quitter who deserted his team in the middle of a 3-9 season and they don't want him? Only a fan base like USC that has no history of success would welcome a quitter with open arms.

I can't accept it as a positive because it is not a positive! Before calling others fools, you may want to look inward.
Ah, the intentionally obtuse.

Did you see his ESPN tribute? I guess I missed the part about being a quitter but the rest of it hailed him as a brilliant innovator that forever changed the sport at UF and ended his career by taking a program that had not won much in it's and elevating it to the top of the conference.

So far I have seen you and 2 others toting the "quitter" label. It's really a shame your to stubborn, or ass-chapped, to see that the man did exactly what he said he would do when he arrived here.

BTW, I'm still waiting on that list of 18 y/o's...might as well throw out a list of people who think SOS is a quitter. I'll be waiting.

You would think he slapped your momma the way you act.

Reactions: USC-1
Yes, but those 18 year olds know that Spurrier ran our program into the ground and quit in the middle of a 3-9 season. Our "praising" him just shows that we have the bar for success set very low.
I suspect there are some loser 18 year olds who are awed by quitters. I just don't know any.
Well at least thanks for be honest.

Kinda proves that your just a disgruntled fan blowing off steam and not in touch with reality as far as what is going on in the real world.

But don;t let that stop you from spewing...

Ah, the intentionally obtuse.

Did you see his ESPN tribute? I guess I missed the part about being a quitter but the rest of it hailed him as a brilliant innovator that forever changed the sport at UF and ended his career by taking a program that had not won much in it's and elevating it to the top of the conference.

So far I have seen you and 2 others toting the "quitter" label. It's really a shame your to stubborn, or ass-chapped, to see that the man did exactly what he said he would do when he arrived here.

BTW, I'm still waiting on that list of 18 y/o's...might as well throw out a list of people who think SOS is a quitter. I'll be waiting.

You would think he slapped your momma the way you act.
Sorry, but Spurrer's last performance was as a very failed quitter. You can't deny that.

No, I don't have a list of 18 year olds because I don't spend time with 18 year olds. However, I know my 18 year old would look up to a quitter the way many of you do.

Well at least thanks for be honest.

Kinda proves that your just a disgruntled fan blowing off steam and not in touch with reality as far as what is going on in the real world.

But don;t let that stop you from spewing...
No, I am a person who respects character who doesn't think it is a good thing to praise a quitter.

The real world is that Spurrier deserted the football program two years ago and then quit the team in the middle of a 3-9 season. Now, some fans want to praise him and completely ignore what he did to the program. This is an example of why the USC football program will never be great. Fans who champion quitters will never have a winner.

Sorry, but Spurrer's last performance was as a very failed quitter. You can't deny that.

No, I don't have a list of 18 year olds because I don't spend time with 18 year olds. However, I know my 18 year old would look up to a quitter the way many of you do.
So I guess you can say anyone that retires is a quitter?

Quit posting like a cyborg and try to see the human side of it. What he accomplished here and throughout his career far outweighs the way he stepped down.

You are in the extreme minority here. And you're being 1000 times more an embarrassment to the fan base than Spurrier...who never has been. Please explain how your obsession with repeating your ignorance benefits the program in any way?

Reactions: Combahee Cock
No, I am a person who respects character who doesn't think it is a good thing to praise a quitter.

The real world is that Spurrier deserted the football program two years ago and then quit the team in the middle of a 3-9 season. Now, some fans want to praise him and completely ignore what he did to the program. This is an example of why the USC football program will never be great. Fans who champion quitters will never have a winner.
You need to read the definition of fan.

We do not run play, instruct or coach. We follow, cheer and most of us support.

You're proof as to why I say MOST

So I guess you can say anyone that retires is a quitter?

Quit posting like a cyborg and try to see the human side of it. What he accomplished here and throughout his career far outweighs the way he stepped down.

You are in the extreme minority here. And you're being 1000 times more an embarrassment to the fan base than Spurrier...who never has been. Please explain how your obsession with repeating your ignorance benefits the program in any way?
Most who retire, retire with integrity and leave things in a good way. They also provide sufficient notice that they are retiring. Spurrier did a terrible job for two years and then quit with no notice in the middle of the season.

Sorry, I expect more integrity from someone I am going to admire. Spurrier is a quitter who trashed our football program for the last two years he was here. It is sad that some USC fans think that is okay.

You're starting to sound a lot like USCAndy and his obsession with Tanner and the baseball team.

Hint: Any fan that expects perfection will always be miserable. This is a sport involving human coaches and young student athletes. It is not a perfect science to be mastered without fault.

I sure would hate to be a child of yours. It must be torture trying to live up to your expectations.

Most who retire, retire with integrity and leave things in a good way. They also provide sufficient notice that they are retiring. Spurrier did a terrible job for two years and then quit with no notice in the middle of the season.

Sorry, I expect more integrity from someone I am going to admire. Spurrier is a quitter who trashed our football program for the last two years he was here. It is sad that some USC fans think that is okay.
Cyborg translation:

I'm butt-hurt because Spurrier quit and my team only won 3 games and now I can't sit on my computer and type about how good the Gamecocks are or rub it in my only friend's face. Now my friend says he's a quitter and I have no choice but to agree with him because I can not be viewed as supporting a losing team or coach because my moral fiber may appear diminished. I would like to consider pulling for my friends team but I realize men look foolish in orange, which would diminish my moral fiber as well.
System error;Corrupt file;no configuration;reboot and repeat

You're starting to sound a lot like USCAndy and his obsession with Tanner and the baseball team.

Hint: Any fan that expects perfection will always be miserable. This is a sport involving human coaches and young student athletes. It is not a perfect science to be mastered without fault.

I sure would hate to be a child of yours. It must be torture trying to live up to your expectations.
I am sorry that you have a problem with someone who doesn't praise a quitter. I guess my standards are just higher than yours.

Cyborg translation:

I'm butt-hurt because Spurrier quit and my team only won 3 games and now I can't sit on my computer and type about how good the Gamecocks are or rub it in my only friend's face. Now my friend says he's a quitter and I have no choice but to agree with him because I can not be viewed as supporting a losing team or coach because my moral fiber may appear diminished. I would like to consider pulling for my friends team but I realize men look foolish in orange, which would diminish my moral fiber as well.
System error;Corrupt file;no configuration;reboot and repeat
Quitters support quitters. Just sayin'.

It hurts by making us look small. It smacks of cronyism. No other major program does it. Notre Dame doesn't pay Holtz to wear a hat. Clemp doesn't pay Ford to wear a hat. UGA doesn't pay Dooley to wear a hat. In fact, SOS is Mr. Gator but UF doesn't pay him to wear a hat. I keep saying the same thing but you're ignoring it because you disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, but the optics are bad.

You keep saying it helps. Point to me one thing he's done since quitting that has helped us. Show me any money he has raised since October. Identify any recruit he helped influence to us and any facility he helped to promote to alumni or the BOT since he unceremoniously bolted. I can't think of anything. It's cronyism. He's being paid solely because he's Steve freaking Spurrier, and we're still so insecure we feel we have to buy his loyalty. It stinks and it just further proves Tanner is in over his head.
I quit reading at being paid to wear a hat. You are intentionally being an asshole
It hurts by making us look small. It smacks of cronyism. No other major program does it. Notre Dame doesn't pay Holtz to wear a hat. Clemp doesn't pay Ford to wear a hat. UGA doesn't pay Dooley to wear a hat. In fact, SOS is Mr. Gator but UF doesn't pay him to wear a hat. I keep saying the same thing but you're ignoring it because you disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, but the optics are bad.

You keep saying it helps. Point to me one thing he's done since quitting that has helped us. Show me any money he has raised since October. Identify any recruit he helped influence to us and any facility he helped to promote to alumni or the BOT since he unceremoniously bolted. I can't think of anything. It's cronyism. He's being paid solely because he's Steve freaking Spurrier, and we're still so insecure we feel we have to buy his loyalty. It stinks and it just further proves Tanner is in over his head.

Of course everything you want me to prove isnt public knowledge for the most part. Just the mention of him being paid to wear a hat proves you are being unreasonable and there is really no sense in talking to a brick anymore.

He's the best coach in South Carolina history and will be remembered that way. Wallow in it.
The 2015 USC football season is in the record books as 3-9 with a loss to the Citadel and a coach who quit in disgrace in the middle of the season. That cannot be denied or changed.

I quit reading at being paid to wear a hat. You are intentionally being an asshole

Of course everything you want me to prove isnt public knowledge for the most part. Just the mention of him being paid to wear a hat proves you are being unreasonable and there is really no sense in talking to a brick anymore.
Your comments are so pitiful that the best you have are personal attacks against others who continually prove you wrong. I guess it is no wonder you praise a quitter.

The 2015 USC football season is in the record books as 3-9 with a loss to the Citadel and a coach who quit in disgrace in the middle of the season. That cannot be denied or changed.
Best coach ever. EVER.Fact. get over it

Wallow in your misery lol
Actually, our football program is wallowing in misery and will be for several years to come based on the shape Spurrier left the program. Our recruiting will struggle for some time and the results will show on the field.

Ok, nobody quit the team in disgrace.
What team are you talking about? There is absolutely no question that Spurrier quit on us. If you can't acknowledge that, then you're too biased to participate in the conversation.

Cola G'Cock ... I suppose it's easy to approach 25,000 posts when you repeat yourself at least a dozen times on a thread. We get it, you don't like Coach Spurrier. We get it - you, and a few others (I'd venture less than 10%) ... 'fans' like Atlanta Cock consider SOS a Gator, you always have and always will.
What SOS did wasn't 'quitting' it was done hoping to redirect the team and personally, I think it helped. He stayed a year too long (by request) against his own good judgement, which at least provided his detractors (like you) the opportunity to express your constant and consistent dislike for the guy ... so launch your meaningless tirade.
The facts are indisputable, Spurrier changed SC football in a way no one else ever came close to doing.
Our entire program is better and Gamecock fans are more excited about the future than ever.
I think Coach Muschamp's the guy who can and will get us to the 'next level'. I certainly hope so.
Beating up SOS is old news and silly. He's a terrific ambassador for 'Carolina football - a true legend in the SEC - respected by coaches everywhere, THE guy who changed the face of the SEC - how the game is played, no one's come close to his record of turning around truly and historically inferior football programs ... he did it three different times at three schools who were either down (WAY down - Florida) or out (WAY out - having NEVER been 'winners' - South Carolina ... or having failed to win for 50-years - Duke).
His program's were always clean ... if he 'suffered' any disconnect IMHO it was as much societal as anything - unable to 'connect' with so many of the kinds of players transitioning to college football these days.
The guy's a stone-bargain at $100K ... which by the way ain't some afterthought largess but a part of his contract negotiated several years ago in the midst of the greatest run in SC football history.
When he took the Gamecock job Tommy Bowden was earning 2X's what we paid SOS. When he turned down 'Bama before they hired Saban he turned down 2X's what we were paying him, content to accept a $750K raise instead of leaving for MUCH MORE money - although even with the bump he earned $1 million LESS coaching here than he would have STARTED AT coaching for the 'Tide.
And Spurrier gave BACK ... supporting other 'Carolina sport's coaches, attending their games and with his own money. A few people (a VERY few) have contributed more money to SC football than Spurrier, while no one ever contributed more to its rise in success and prestige.
Steve Spurrier made SC football an entity not to be taken lightly.
Mine's just another 'opinion' - same as yours.
But all those bowl games and all those bowl wins and all those W's against clemson, including FIVE in a row in the decade Coach Spurrier WAS SC football was something I never saw or experienced before in the nearly 50-years since I enrolled at South Carolina.
And any reading of our football history before 1968 says it NEVER happened before Spurrier arrived in 2005, either.
That's just the way it is. I suppose if everyone agreed on who's a great leader nobody would have ever shot Lincoln, Kennedy or Ronald Reagan.
One man's treasure is another guy's trash. It's the way of the world.
Rock on.

What team are you talking about? There is absolutely no question that Spurrier quit on us. If you can't acknowledge that, then you're too biased to participate in the conversation.
Nobody quit in DISGRACE, or are your reading comprehension skills not up to par?

Cola G'Cock ... I suppose it's easy to approach 25,000 posts when you repeat yourself at least a dozen times on a thread. We get it, you don't like Coach Spurrier. We get it - you, and a few others (I'd venture less than 10%) ... 'fans' like Atlanta Cock consider SOS a Gator, you always have and always will.
What SOS did wasn't 'quitting' it was done hoping to redirect the team and personally, I think it helped. He stayed a year too long (by request) against his own good judgement, which at least provided his detractors (like you) the opportunity to express your constant and consistent dislike for the guy ... so launch your meaningless tirade.
The facts are indisputable, Spurrier changed SC football in a way no one else ever came close to doing.
Our entire program is better and Gamecock fans are more excited about the future than ever.
I think Coach Muschamp's the guy who can and will get us to the 'next level'. I certainly hope so.
Beating up SOS is old news and silly. He's a terrific ambassador for 'Carolina football - a true legend in the SEC - respected by coaches everywhere, THE guy who changed the face of the SEC - how the game is played, no one's come close to his record of turning around truly and historically inferior football programs ... he did it three different times at three schools who were either down (WAY down - Florida) or out (WAY out - having NEVER been 'winners' - South Carolina ... or having failed to win for 50-years - Duke).
His program's were always clean ... if he 'suffered' any disconnect IMHO it was as much societal as anything - unable to 'connect' with so many of the kinds of players transitioning to college football these days.
The guy's a stone-bargain at $100K ... which by the way ain't some afterthought largess but a part of his contract negotiated several years ago in the midst of the greatest run in SC football history.
When he took the Gamecock job Tommy Bowden was earning 2X's what we paid SOS. When he turned down 'Bama before they hired Saban he turned down 2X's what we were paying him, content to accept a $750K raise instead of leaving for MUCH MORE money - although even with the bump he earned $1 million LESS coaching here than he would have STARTED AT coaching for the 'Tide.
And Spurrier gave BACK ... supporting other 'Carolina sport's coaches, attending their games and with his own money. A few people (a VERY few) have contributed more money to SC football than Spurrier, while no one ever contributed more to its rise in success and prestige.
Steve Spurrier made SC football an entity not to be taken lightly.
Mine's just another 'opinion' - same as yours.
But all those bowl games and all those bowl wins and all those W's against clemson, including FIVE in a row in the decade Coach Spurrier WAS SC football was something I never saw or experienced before in the nearly 50-years since I enrolled at South Carolina.
And any reading of our football history before 1968 says it NEVER happened before Spurrier arrived in 2005, either.
That's just the way it is. I suppose if everyone agreed on who's a great leader nobody would have ever shot Lincoln, Kennedy or Ronald Reagan.
One man's treasure is another guy's trash. It's the way of the world.
Rock on.
You just slayed it. I wish I could have spoken it as eloquently as you. Dont be surprised though, he will come back and repeat himself again.

Nobody quit in DISGRACE, or are your reading comprehension skills not up to par?
That's a matter of opinion, I guess because I think he did. He thought the team would be good, and he thought he had a good staff. We were terrible. We were a scrimmage for LSU. Lost to El Cid. On D, we lined up 10 yards off the WR. On O, no QB or RB to speak of in his 11th season. We paid him tens of millions of dollars and his final team was so bad he quit in mid-season. To me, that's disgraceful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT