ADVERTISEMENT

105.7 - Poor job interviewing Ray Tanner.

Lucas_Jackson

Jul 18, 2007
We understand that the game could not be played in Columbia for various reasons... you don't need to spend the next hour telling us that.

It would have been nice if you would have asked Ray Tanner:

1. Which venues offered their stadiums.
2. Why did we turn down Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Atlanta (assuming those all offered).

It sounded to me like we chose Baton Rouge over each of those, and as fans we'd like to know why? I am not saying that we necessarily made the wrong choice, but we should hear why LSU was better than Charlotte!

That was our main question, but 107.5 never asked it!

We understand that the game could not be played in Columbia for various reasons... you don't need to spend the next hour telling us that.

2. Why did we turn down Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Atlanta (assuming those all offered).

It sounded to me like we chose Baton Rouge over each of those, and as fans we'd like to know why? I am not saying that we necessarily made the wrong choice, but we should hear why LSU was better than Charlotte!

I agree here. Maybe they didn't ask because they didn't wanna put him on the spot since it was a live interview. I personally would have liked to know the same things. It just seems like we would have done a neutral site before giving them a home game. It sucks but that's where we're at right now

they do a poor job at everything, except Heath. Tried to listen to that damn morning show Tuesday....Tommy was talking about our game, 30 seconds into it, Benji flips it into Clemson conversation. How in the blue hell is that show on the air?

Reactions: donleycock

I am sure no venue was offered free. The fact that we can take the game day revenue at Baton Rouge negates the loss for paying back ticket holders for the game in Columbia. It's a wash rather than a loss paying back ticket holders and paying for playing in one of those venues.

Reactions: atl-cock
Money is the reason why we aren't playing in Charlotte, Jacksonville, or Atlanta. As I posted in another thread:

The "logistical reasons" for this move was money. LSU will sell out, and we will get the ticket money without even having to host a game. The money is what they mainly care about, and that's sad. If we would have had the game in Charlotte or Jacksonville, we would have had to split the revenue. They're just using all those other excuses to cover up the fact that money was the deciding factor here.

Reactions: uscfootfan
I agree here. Maybe they didn't ask because they didn't wanna put him on the spot since it was a live interview. I personally would have liked to know the same things. It just seems like we would have done a neutral site before giving them a home game. It sucks but that's where we're at right now
Ray has a lot on his plate this week. I'm sure answering a bunch of flippant questions from people who want to find something to complain about is not a priority.

107.5 is homer city, Clemson guy or Heath. Cline did not do the interview so there is your answer. Ray is about $$$$$, nothing else. Losing Hyman has and will continue to allow us to go backwards.

Money is the reason why we aren't playing in Charlotte, Jacksonville, or Atlanta. As I posted in another thread:

The "logistical reasons" for this move was money. LSU will sell out, and we will get the ticket money without even having to host a game. The money is what they mainly care about, and that's sad. If we would have had the game in Charlotte or Jacksonville, we would have had to split the revenue. They're just using all those other excuses to cover up the fact that money was the deciding factor here.

It's always about the money. College football is big business and decisions are made for economic and financial reasons. Even when they say it's not, it's always about money.

107.5 is homer city, Clemson guy or Heath. Cline did not do the interview so there is your answer. Ray is about $$$$$, nothing else. Losing Hyman has and will continue to allow us to go backwards.
Help all of us understand how anything Eric Hyman did here was not 100% about money?

Speculation (on my part) but I would think they may be a ticket convenience situation. I have no information to support this, but with their earlier canceled game due to weather, it would be easy to simply activate and replace that game and use that ticket. It might not be perfect, but may have been one of the biggest challenges. Just a hypothesis.

I am sure no venue was offered free. The fact that we can take the game day revenue at Baton Rouge negates the loss for paying back ticket holders for the game in Columbia. It's a wash rather than a loss paying back ticket holders and paying for playing in one of those venues.
This has been talked about/assumed but hasn't been confirmed. I highly doubt that we will get a typical home $ payout in LSU.

Of course he is about money. Show me an athletic director who isn't.

Ray has a lot on his plate this week. I'm sure answering a bunch of flippant questions from people who want to find something to complain about is not a priority.

True, why should the guy have to answer questions about the university's sports team when there's a flood in Columbia?

Makes perfect sense.

Seriously, what did you think he came on the radio to talk about, gamecockdad? The levies?

You people are ridiculous.

Tanner mentioned some of the stadiums where discussions had taken place- and also mentioned some other conference teams offered up their stadiums.

He didn't name all of them - and that was the proper thing to do since the game won't be played at any of those locations.

he said all of those scenarios were reviewed - including other scenarios that he didn't even mention and this one- along with consultation with other officials, the President of USC, and the SEC office- this decision was the one that they felt was best.

and he was comfortable with the decision full well knowing plenty of folks will complain

and knowing plenty would have complained about anything that was done.

Hyman required accountability from his coaches the way its supposed to be when you are the boss. He put in the seat tax and laid out every construction project we have done or recently completed. He hired Dawn, Spurrier, and Martin. He was always open and returned all calls and emails. Ray puts in extra charges every time you order a ticket, parking fees for basketball both women's and men's and now raised dues after raising tickets. Its nickel and dime the fans to death like paper cuts over and over. All this when TV and conference revenues are coming in at a record pace and the school just completed a 1 billion dollar campaign and the garnet way has achieved all its goals and then some. Baseball has been crashing and football is the most painful it has been since Brad Scotts last year. Coach Ray is just being buddies and we continue to go backwards. Its very unfortunate and I was all for Ray and thought it would be great but I now think Hyman was right when he said we should interview others and that Ray was not quite ready.

Hyman required accountability from his coaches the way its supposed to be when you are the boss. He put in the seat tax and laid out every construction project we have done or recently completed. He hired Dawn, Spurrier, and Martin. He was always open and returned all calls and emails. Ray puts in extra charges every time you order a ticket, parking fees for basketball both women's and men's and now raised dues after raising tickets. Its nickel and dime the fans to death like paper cuts over and over. All this when TV and conference revenues are coming in at a record pace and the school just completed a 1 billion dollar campaign and the garnet way has achieved all its goals and then some. Baseball has been crashing and football is the most painful it has been since Brad Scotts last year. Coach Ray is just being buddies and we continue to go backwards. Its very unfortunate and I was all for Ray and thought it would be great but I now think Hyman was right when he said we should interview others and that Ray was not quite ready.
So now yall love Hyman ? Hyman didn't hire Spurrier.

Real investigative reporting and journalism is a rarity today.

WOW

So you want to go back to the Darrin Horn era then?

So sad! Our fans are what provide the money for our program overall and we're getting screwed. May get a refund - expect that in the very least - but what about getting to the game? No way!!

So sad! Our fans are what provide the money for our program overall and we're getting screwed. May get a refund - expect that in the very least - but what about getting to the game? No way!!

Redirect your frustration into volunteering to help with the flood relief. You're probably too busy for that, but you were available to go to a ballgame. SMDH

I heard the interview and I saw no problem with it. Of course they had to take EVERYTHING into consideration. I am sure it was difficult making the decision that they did...but I feel it certainly was the less complicated decision. I don't think USC owes the fans every detail. Glad that ticket holders will be able to get their money back.

Reactions: DaddyRooster

Could be the stupidest post I've read in some time (and that's saying something). It was Hyman who pinched pennies like they were his own throughout his tenure. No band to the NIT Championship ring a bell??
Hyman wouldn't have done anything differently. His hire of Darrin Horn still haunts today. Hyman is where he wanted to be all along (somewhere other than Columbia).

Oh yeah, one more thing 'gamecocks28', your ignorance is even more abundantly clear in the fact you think Hyman hired Spurrier. That's a riot!

He did, however, keep Odom too long, go on the cheap with Horn, extend Darrin Horn, and pass on Greg Marshall twice. Keep on your little diatribe though.

Oh yeah, one more thing 'gamecocks28', your ignorance is even more abundantly clear in the fact you think Hyman hired Spurrier. That's a riot!

He did, however, keep Odom too long, go on the cheap with Horn, extend Darrin Horn, and pass on Greg Marshall twice. Keep on your little diatribe though.

Golden you obviously are on Ray's yes team. Just watch and see if it does not continue to slide.

One thing I liked about Hyman was anytime he interviewed he talked about the importance of recruiting the best athletes and that was reason for implementing the plans to raise revenues for facility improvements. He use to take time to meet with the top athletes when their families came to campus, especially to help Dawn.

He had his issues to but I liked the fact that he emphasized the importance of recruiting and went the extra mile to personally help the process in whatever way he could.

Golden you obviously are on Ray's yes team. Just watch and see if it does not continue to slide.

Nope, I just deal with facts. By the way take note: Hyman didn't hire Frank Mcguire nor did he sign Joe Morrison to a contract. Thought you might want to know since you seem to be confused on the whole Spurrier thing.
You can still send 'ol Eric his gift basket to College Station, TX though.

Hyman didn't hire Spurrier.

why would we split the money? its a home game for us no matter where its played, even at LSU. it really pisses me off when people make shit up and post it like they know something.

Reactions: Silverspur02
You have to remember too that in all this talk of USC getting the ticket revenue for the game in Baton Rouge this Saturday, that the money we will receive is after they take out their expenses of putting on the game. Granted the game will probably sell out there and that is a bonus, but I imagine the costs of hosting a game is not cheap. Still, it is what it is and I would have preferred the game to be played in Charlotte or Jacksonville. Just my opinion though.

I doubt it will be a wash to us ticket holders, as LSU is only sharing the net profit from ticket sales with the university. It will definitely be a loss to the university as I doubt they will share their concession sales with us, where we probably generate a significant amount of money. Plus, the many vendors, ticket counters, server's etc. will lose 1/7 of their income that they would have otherwise earned from a home game. It not a good situation however you look at it, but Ray did make the right call. My guess is that there will be some additional concessions to us in the future by the SEC office. Heck, I would take them allowing officials to actually call offensive holding, but that's a different topic.

I actually thought TIm Hill's questions were pretty good. He needs to do more of the interviewing since he has some journalistic credibility. Jay's interviews have always been a hot mess. His questions are usually longer than the answers.

Nope, I just deal with facts. By the way take note: Hyman didn't hire Frank Mcguire nor did he sign Joe Morrison to a contract. Thought you might want to know since you seem to be confused on the whole Spurrier thing.
You can still send 'ol Eric his gift basket to College Station, TX though.

Dang You obviously are on Ray's speed dial so how much money does it take to buy into the circle?

charlotte had just re-sodded its field for the bye week..had nothing to do with money

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT