ADVERTISEMENT

107.5 The Game AMA (Ask Me Anything)

I know it's extremely early to say, but how many true freshmen would you guess will penetrate the 2-deep chart next fall? Our biggest problem is depth, and this is the true measure of how we're doing on that front. Assuming no injuries.

Reactions: Pearson Fowler
Are we closing the gap with Clemtech in recruiting or at least beating them any time soon(on the field)?
I think this year was great evidence that yes is the answer to both of your questions. Clearly, the gap is still there, and Clemson is not getting any worse, but Carolina is undoubtedly getting better, especially on the trail. Pickens is probably the crown jewel of the 2019 class, and getting those big (especially in state) 4 and 5 star guys is a great way to start closing the gap. The difference will then be what happens when those guys go down or don’t pan out. This year demonstrated very plainly how important depth is. The thing that I’m looking at for this early signing period is how does the 2019 class round out. Football is a weak-link sport, and even if Carolina has enough good 1s to keep the game with Clemson close now, the 2s and 3s will ultimately be the difference IMO

Reactions: Stickman413
Why is your show the Cartoon Network?
I don’t know. I like Cartoon Network. Or at least the Cartoon Network of old, I don’t watch it much anymore, save adult swim. I am flattered that you think my show is as quality as a Williams Street production, though!

When will we beat UK again? Until we take care of beating them, I'm sorry, nothing else really matters in the big picture.
Definitely. I’ve been thinking this for 3 years now, but if you look at what Kentucky is losing after this year, it has to be next year. It’s in Willy-B, and tbh if Carolina loses to Kentucky 6 years in a row, I think the football program should disband

Who is the most annoying person you work with and why is it Jay Philips?
I love Jay! He’s very much been a mentor for me since I was in high school and honestly is a big part of why I got this job. I am forever grateful to him for that. I’m probably the most annoying person on the station since I’m an insufferable millennial, and I try to rope the others guys into things like AMAs

I know it's extremely early to say, but how many true freshmen would you guess will penetrate the 2-deep chart next fall? Our biggest problem is depth, and this is the true measure of how we're doing on that front. Assuming no injuries.
At this point, the only person I expect to be starting as a freshman (at least early in the year) is Pickens. In terms of the two deep, probably at least one safety, one corner, maybe Hilinski at QB2.

If I am not mistaken you are a big soccer guy. I will never claim to know a thing about soccer other than the fact it can't be denied the sport's growth is tremendous and the future for soccer is great. I see where in the future this could become a revenue generator for USC.

With South Carolina being 1 of 2 SEC schools with a men's soccer program I have always felt a true commitment to the program would be beneficial in coming years, especially when younger Millenials & Zs get into the workforce.

With that said do you 1) think soccer at USC could become a revenue sport and would guys in your generation be willing to spend money for suites and other high priced seats? 2) This is a harder question. Is it time for Tanner to make the difficult decision to let Berson go?

Interacting with fans on boards, podcasting, and trying different things others aren't . You are going to do really well IMO and honestly teach older guys a little something.

If I am not mistaken you are a big soccer guy. I will never claim to know a thing about soccer other than the fact it can't be denied the sport's growth is tremendous and the future for soccer is great. I see where in the future this could become a revenue generator for USC.

With South Carolina being 1 of 2 SEC schools with a men's soccer program I have always felt a true commitment to the program would be beneficial in coming years, especially when younger Millenials & Zs get into the workforce.

With that said do you 1) think soccer at USC could become a revenue sport and would guys in your generation be willing to spend money for suites and other high priced seats? 2) This is a harder question. Is it time for Tanner to make the difficult decision to let Berson go?

Interacting with fans on boards, podcasting, and trying different things others aren't . You are going to do really well IMO and honestly teach older guys a little something.
Dude. Berson’s got tenure.

I agree with you about the future of the sport. In fact, I think a complete rebranding of Gamecock Soccer is a must. There is a future market, and USC needs to get in on the front end.

1) I really don’t think so, unfortunately. The reality is that as soccer grows in popularity and, hopefully, in quality, college soccer will become increasingly irrelevant. I’ve had candid conversations with people playing professionally now that went through the ranks of US soccer, including playing in college, and it does not sound like the 2-4 years they spent in college was worth it. For me, it’s not so much the quality of opponents or coaches or any of that as much as it is simply time. Because of the NCAA rules, these guys are practicing 20 hours a week in season and 10 out of it. Everyone else in the world, by the time you turn 18, if you’re going to make it, you’re playing professionally and spending 40-60 hours week playing. There’s no way around that. Sure, some guys are self starters and will get their hours in, but it’s not the same quality of hours, and those outliers are not going catalyze the kind of shift that US soccer is looking for. As soccer becomes more relevant, more players will bypass college and start their pro careers, either here or abroad. Long way of saying: although the future of soccer in the US is trending upwards, I think the outlook for college soccer specifically is grim. 2) for that reason, I’m not sure it really matters. I know USC wants to keep being competitive, but the fact that it does not realistically have a future as a profit sport, in my opinion, probably makes the decision to keep him a little easier, even if, in terms of recruiting and actual soccer, it may be time to move on.

The other part of this is that more international players are coming here to play college and pro than ever. If anything, I think the college game will continue to become more international, and, not to imply that we’re a community of xenophobes, I think it’s less interesting for casual fans when the roster is comprised of players we have no relationship or shared history with. It’s not like going to a football game and seeing guys that we watched play around here on Fridays for years.

Reactions: LazyIslander

Thanks for asking that by the way cause I do love talking soccer, and that’s a question that I think a lot of people that don’t necessarily follow soccer have. This is why I’m doing this! I just love talking with people that are passionate about the same things I am. The older guys do too, but they’re afraid of message boards haha. I think it’s a bad word for a few of them

Thanks for asking that by the way cause I do love talking soccer, and that’s a question that I think a lot of people that don’t necessarily follow soccer have. This is why I’m doing this! I just love talking with people that are passionate about the same things I am. The older guys do too, but they’re afraid of message boards haha. I think it’s a bad word for a few of them

I am going to start listening to your show. Not because I am a big soccer fan, but because you are taking a different approach and I believe it is important to understand your generations trends. I have always believed in hiring younger employees so they can teach me. I admit to learning more about anime than I ever thought possible. Lol

You got a great platform to really become this market's first younger Millenial on the air. As someone who has followed the boomer legends as a kid like Kornblut & Mick Mixon, to the guys of my generation like Barrie and Morgan, I have to admit to being intrigued by a new style and brand.

Good luck to you. I hope some folks on here will give you a shot

Thank you for doing this. I listen to the station often, and I think the hosts do a good job. I don't expect it to be propoganda, but I do think the station represents the interests and attitude of the fans well.

I do think the station could be more visible online. The twitter account is updated occasionally, and the app still has pictures of old hosts during their old time slots. An instagram account seems like an obvious platform. I'd watch live videos of hosts at press conferences, etc. I'm not sure how comfortable everyone would be with that.

I can't think of any questions, but keep up the good work. I think it's good to have younger people on the station. I'm not sure how quickly listeners will be seeking NBA or soccer coverage, but it's nice to have people in touch with things.

I am going to start listening to your show. Not because I am a big soccer fan, but because you are taking a different approach and I believe it is important to understand your generations trends. I have always believed in hiring younger employees so they can teach me. I admit to learning more about anime than I ever thought possible. Lol

You got a great platform to really become this market's first younger Millenial on the air. As someone who has followed the boomer legends as a kid like Kornblut & Mick Mixon, to the guys of my generation like Barrie and Morgan, I have to admit to being intrigued by a new style and brand.

Good luck to you. I hope some folks on here will give you a shot
Well thanks so much for the kind words and support! I have plenty to learn from the old guard, and I hope that my adundance of pop culture references and soccer talk doesn’t turn off people that are used to a certain type of sports radio around here. I hope you enjoy the show!

Thank you for doing this. I listen to the station often, and I think the hosts do a good job. I don't expect it to be propoganda, but I do think the station represents the interests and attitude of the fans well.

I do think the station could be more visible online. The twitter account is updated occasionally, and the app still has pictures of old hosts during their old time slots. An instagram account seems like an obvious platform. I'd watch live videos of hosts at press conferences, etc. I'm not sure how comfortable everyone would be with that.

I can't think of any questions, but keep up the good work. I think it's good to have younger people on the station. I'm not sure how quickly listeners will be seeking NBA or soccer coverage, but it's nice to have people in touch with things.
Yeah I’m not keeping my fingers crossed in terms of being able to talk much soccer or NBA, but that’s the beauty of having a podcast! Plenty of opportunity to get my thoughts out there. In terms of the visibility, I’d like to think we’ll start doing more stuff like this. Working on the station podcast to get it up to snuff and hopefully with some original content (not just repurposing our shows) is definitely a focus.

Thanks for feedback! Always good to know what kinds of content people are looking for/want to consume

Team Grape or Team Watermelon?

Please Tell miss Jenson she is awesome!
Grape! Grape are more versatile and age well (wine). The best watermelon may be better than the best grape, but I want consistency in my fruit. I can eat grapes all year. Watermelon I eat for 2-3 months.

I’ll be sure to pass that along! She is very awesome

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
OK, I have 3, each of equal importance:

Favorite Beatle & why?

Top 3 beers?

How good do you expect us to be in baseball this season?
Probably George. I love the influence he brought to the band in the later years as he become featured a little more as a song writer, and he’s batted like .900 for a couple years. He wrote so many of my favorite Beatles songs like Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Here Comes the Sun.

Ever?? Ok, in no particular order: Heady Topper, which I’ve been fortunate to snag at Phish shows a couple times from traveling Vermonters. The 2014 Bourbon Barrel aged Stout from Bourbon County was the first time I realized what the ceiling for beer could be. And just for the sake of being diverse, I think Lindeman’s Framboise Lambic is the most delicious, drinkable beer I’ve ever had. It’s like a liquid pixy stick!

The baseball I’m cautiously optimistic on, but I’m not sure how significant the difference will be in terms of wins and losses or season finish. The team started really gelling and playing better at the end of the season, so I think the natural inclination would be to say they will carry that over into this season, but I could see it being another slow start given how many key guys are having to be replaced. With that said, based on what we saw in the second half of last season, I expect that whatever growing pains the team might endure early as they get used to new players in new roles, should subside by the midway point.

Or drone racing. That’s another obscure sport that I watched during the summer while waiting for football.
I’ve tried to fly a little drone once, and it was very difficult, so drone racing would impress the hell out of me if I saw it. Side note: I love summer sports programming. I used to watch a lot of World Series of Poker and Dominos on ESPN in middle school

Reactions: uscbeckham
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT