ADVERTISEMENT

12/18/2015–Last win vs Clemsux

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
This is the last time we won in the big 3 sports vs Clemsucks. Yes I know we won a baseball game but not the series.

I am tired of the excuses:
Football—it’s Spurriers fault with the mess he left us with 5 years ago
Baseball—it’s Holbrooks fault
Basketball—Martin can’t build off the final 4.

At some point it’s time to sack up and beat your rival. It is inexcusable for a state university to go this long without beating its rival in ANY of the big 3 sports. It is getting mental. They are in our head.

The problem is our athletic department thinks beating them at tennis, roller derby and a 3-legged race balances out the losses to them in the other sports you mentioned. They think most fans care about those when in reality they don't. If they did they'd build 80,000 seat stadiums to watch volleyball in.

Screw the Palmetto Cup. It should be based on Football, Men’s Basketball and Baseball. One point for each.

There is not a Gamecock fan I’ve met willing to beat their chest about the Palmetto Cup. I’m tired of winning it because we beat them in some event attended by 20 people or less.

Basketball and Baseball are really the two that are most disappointing. In football we still have a long way to go. But in baseball and basketball we should be better against them. Martin has zero excuses. Having Thornwell 2 years ago would’ve been nice, but Martin’s players seem to find a little trouble at some point. That’s on him.

Hopefully we’ll get something going in Baseball this spring.

The problem is our athletic department thinks beating them at tennis, roller derby and a 3-legged race balances out the losses to them in the other sports you mentioned. They think most fans care about those when in reality they don't. If they did they'd build 80,000 seat stadiums to watch volleyball in.
Women's soccer too. Other competition I like our chances in: tug of war and sack racing.

Basketball and Baseball are really the two that are most disappointing. In football we still have a long way to go. But in baseball and basketball we should be better against them. Martin has zero excuses. Having Thornwell 2 years ago would’ve been nice, but Martin’s players seem to find a little trouble at some point. That’s on him.

You hit the nail on the head. We should beat them in baseball but we have played poorly, managed poorly and allowed them to catch us in a sport we used to dominate.

Baseball: we finally made a change 2 seasons too late.

Basketball is frustrating because Pickens Tech doesn’t even care about basketball. In fact Brownell is not even coaching that game if not for their sweet 16 run and a ton of transfers coming in last season. Yet they’ve beaten us 3 in a row....even in our Final 4 season.

Basketball: we need to make a change.

Football we are behind but the gap should not be as big as it is. Syracuse competes with them, Texas A & M competed with them and we should too. We played a close game we could’ve won against the Aggies. If we played Syracuse it’s a close game.

We always seem to do something to help them beat us. The last few years we could not even slow them down defensively. Two years ago we played the best defense against them since Muschamp arrived (not saying much) and we could not cross midfield until the last 2 minutes.

Football: Beat them by 2021 or make a change, that’s 2 more home games.

You hit the nail on the head. We should beat them in baseball but we have played poorly, managed poorly and allowed them to catch us in a sport we used to dominate.

Basketball is frustrating because Pickens Tech doesn’t even care about basketball. In fact Brownell is not even coaching that game if not for their sweet 16 run and a ton of transfers coming in last season. Yet they’ve beaten us 3 in a row....even in our Final 4 season.

Football we are behind but the gap should not be as big as it is. Syracuse competes with them, Texas A & M competed with them and we should too. We played a close game we could’ve won against the Aggies. If we played Syracuse it’s a close game.

We always seem to do something to help them beat us. The last few years we could not even slow them down defensively. Two years ago we played the best defense against them since Muschamp arrived (not saying much) and we could not cross midfield until the last 2 minutes.

I really don’t know why you say we don’t care about basketball when we just spent $64,000,000 to upgrade our facilities.

We will beat them next year in football! Book it!

I really don’t know why you say we don’t care about basketball when we just spent $64,000,000 to upgrade our facilities.

1. Maybe bc you’ve won as many ACC basketball titles as we have and we left the conference 50 years ago

2. You put your sweet 16 banner right beside your NIT one.

1. Maybe bc you’ve won as many ACC basketball titles as we have and we left the conference 50 years ago

2. You put your sweet 16 banner right beside your NIT one.
I never said we have a great basketball history. We have been the doormat of the ACC for over 50 years. All I asked was if we really don’t care about basketball why spend $64 million on it?

It is interesting we are 38-17 against you since you left the ACC.

I'm just tired of losing to Clemson. Football, I get. We're not there yet and EVERYONE except a few extremely elite teams are getting beat. I am not unrealistic. But for the rest, we should be on at least equal footing. Frank has no excuse, except that the critics were right. He got lucky by catching lightning in a bottle with his team. They were by far the exception, not the rule. And Baseball, well, Holbrook is gone. If we don't start an upward trend soon, then we are destined to flop. Sadly, the AD at least should know what it takes to win at Baseball, but we've fallen as far under him there as anywhere.

I'm just tired of losing to Clemson. Football, I get. We're not there yet and EVERYONE except a few extremely elite teams are getting beat. I am not unrealistic. But for the rest, we should be on at least equal footing. Frank has no excuse, except that the critics were right. He got lucky by catching lightning in a bottle with his team. They were by far the exception, not the rule. And Baseball, well, Holbrook is gone. If we don't start an upward trend soon, then we are destined to flop. Sadly, the AD at least should know what it takes to win at Baseball, but we've fallen as far under him there as anywhere.

Don’t forget we were one win away from the CWS last season. It doesn’t feel like it, but we were.

I never said we have a great basketball history. We have been the doormat of the ACC for over 50 years. All I asked was if we really don’t care about basketball why spend $64 million on it?

It is interesting we are 38-17 against you since you left the ACC.

We lead the all time series...as your people like to say about football every time we win.

Your record against us since we left the ACC is more of an indication of our once solid basketball program tanking more than you actually winning in basketball. You still haven’t won in Chapel Hill.

You spent the money because you have the money. Between Newspring and your football money it’s there to burn.

You don’t care about basketball because you struggle to bring 10,000 in for anyone not named Duke, North Carolina or South Carolina

Don’t forget we were one win away from the CWS last season. It doesn’t feel like it, but we were.
Uhhh we expect to be playing for a trip to the CWS. If he thinks he won some sort of favor with the fans last year, no, all he did was meet expectations. This year you better make it again. And eventually to Omaha.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Since McGuire stepped down we are 16-32 vs. the taters. Frank is 2-5. Not that far off from the 38 yr. avg. We used to dominate but in case no one has checked, we have been dominated in MBB. Worse than football. I can see us reeling off a few wins the next few years based on what Brownell said yesterday.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
This is the last time we won in the big 3 sports vs Clemsucks. Yes I know we won a baseball game but not the series.

I am tired of the excuses:
Football—it’s Spurriers fault with the mess he left us with 5 years ago
Baseball—it’s Holbrooks fault
Basketball—Martin can’t build off the final 4.

At some point it’s time to sack up and beat your rival. It is inexcusable for a state university to go this long without beating its rival in ANY of the big 3 sports. It is getting mental. They are in our head.

Here's a sobering thought. If it's over 3 years since we have beat "Clemsucks" in any of the Big 3 sports, then what nomenclature are we going to affix to ourselves.

Since McGuire stepped down we are 16-32 vs. the taters. Frank is 2-5. Not that far off from the 38 yr. avg. We used to dominate but in case no one has checked, we have been dominated in MBB. Worse than football. I can see us reeling off a few wins the next few years based on what Brownell said yesterday.

Basically we had a once proud basketball program and let it slip.

Kinda sounds like baseball now.

Carolina didn’t “allow” Clemson to catch you in baseball. We’ve always been pretty goood. More NCAA Tournament appearances and World series appearances. Carolina just caught up and surpassed us for a few years. Now the universe has been restored.

Carolina didn’t “allow” Clemson to catch you in baseball. We’ve always been pretty goood. More NCAA Tournament appearances and World series appearances. Carolina just caught up and surpassed us for a few years. Now the universe has been restored.
Don't taters claim that winning championships are all that matters? If that's the case then where are your CWS trophies? I can show you ours.

Except for four magical games in March and April of 2017, our basketball program has not been proud in 45 years. That’s more than just a “slip”.

There is no Chicken Curse. There is no "no coach can win here" (basketball). If someone can recruit high quality basketball players to Mississippi State, someone can bring high quality recruits to Columbia, SC.

Coach FM is a good man, and he has had time to change his demeanor, upgrade his recruiting image, and turn things around. Plenty of good talent in the Palmetto State leaving to play elsewhere.

Coach FM tried, great effort. He could not do it.

The only thing that would change my mind is the recruitment of some major SEC ready talent this year.

Yeah...we should be better against them.

Don't taters claim that winning championships are all that matters? If that's the case then where are your CWS trophies? I can show
Don't taters claim that winning championships are all that matters? If that's the case then where are your CWS trophies? I can show you ours.
No tater that I know claims that’s all that matters......and congrats on those championships. You deserve them. Never said you didn’t have some good teams.

But didn’t we win the blood drive?

We lead the all time series...as your people like to say about football every time we win.

Your record against us since we left the ACC is more of an indication of our once solid basketball program tanking more than you actually winning in basketball. You still haven’t won in Chapel Hill.

You spent the money because you have the money. Between Newspring and your football money it’s there to burn.

You don’t care about basketball because you struggle to bring 10,000 in for anyone not named Duke, North Carolina or South Carolina

You had that last bit exactly backwards- should read, "You struggle to... because you don't care."

To correct another minor point- you bring in more money than CU thanks to that healthy SEC network contract. Though Newspring is always exaggerated, I'll admit winning big in FB will shake some extra coins from the big donors, but it still doesn't approach that SEC cash. The difference is how the university chooses to allocate those funds. Your problem is not total money but the attitudes of your admin and BOT.

You had that last bit exactly backwards- should read, "You struggle to... because you don't care."

To correct another minor point- you bring in more money than CU thanks to that healthy SEC network contract. Though Newspring is always exaggerated, I'll admit winning big in FB will shake some extra coins from the big donors, but it still doesn't approach that SEC cash. The difference is how the university chooses to allocate those funds. Your problem is not total money but the attitudes of your admin and BOT.
Even a rival knows our problems.

The ACC Network starts next year.....not sure how much but it will close the gap.

Please if the Clemson game doesn’t matter drop em. Stop the bleeding

Or forfeit. That way we lose by 0 and don’t get curb stomped
why do I constantly see posts raving about our distaff success vs the tigs if the wins on that side don't matter? I think our fans are so hungry for some positive athletic/competitive results that they would celebrate a roach racing national championship. Eyeroll

Reactions: jonesz21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT