ADVERTISEMENT

12 of 14 Big Presidents vote against football this year

Clay Travis said this mourning he does not know why college presidents get to make the choice. They are not even elected officials. The governors of the state should make the call.

This would be a time to mourn....

Agree who has the power....

Strap up you jock straps and go out and play the game...

Reactions: jimnasium
Players go onto the field in every game in spite of a number of known risks.
That would include concussion problems, risk of paralysis, having lifetime of arthritis, bad knees and possible unearthed heart problems. Seems those risks are more life threatening than the virus.

Reactions: Brace1 and usc01#
Players go onto the field in every game in spite of a number of known risks.
Respectfully, this is a generational event. A broken bone is different than an inflamed heart, like Rodriguez in MLB. We need more data and that will take time. I’m a diehard football fan, like most here, and I’m disappointed. It’s the right thing to do for our young athletes.

Clay Travis said this morning he does not know why college presidents get to make the choice. They are not even elected officials. The governors of the state should make the call.
So, now they're advocating for politics in college football. This is getting confusing.

No way SEC and ACC go it alone. The liability of a death on the schools hands could shut that school down permanently but in the least crush them financially. It would be a lawyers dream case.

THIS^^^ is the driver in all this. It’s the world we live in.

No way SEC and ACC go it alone. The liability of a death on the schools hands could shut that school down permanently but in the least crush them financially. It would be a lawyers dream case.
This is 100% true. Imagine if ONE guy gets it because of interaction during a game and that person has irreparable lung damage or dies!? Their family could sue the conference into oblivion.

Reactions: funktavious
This is 100% true. Imagine if ONE guy gets it because of interaction during a game and that person has irreparable lung damage or dies!? Their family could sue the conference into oblivion.
Perhaps. As long as the risks are outlined and the players have been afforded the opportunity to decline, I just don't see a lawsuit. Sometimes, people have to be accountable for their own actions. And besides, if you think this goes forward without a liability waiver, you're nuts.

Reactions: Brace1
Perhaps. As long as the risks are outlined and the players have been afforded the opportunity to decline, I just don't see a lawsuit. Sometimes, people have to be accountable for their own actions. And besides, if you think this goes forward without a liability waiver, you're nuts.
Also would “beyond a reasonable doubt” not be difficult to prove as to when and where contracted?

Also would “beyond a reasonable doubt” not be difficult to prove as to when and where contracted?

In a civil suit the standard is a “preponderance of the evidence” which is a much easier standard. And proving when and where contracted will take a lot of effort, but when money is involved a lawyer can do anything! In ongoing asbestos suits they figure out what boats or factories people were in, how long, what the conditions were like (all from like 60-70 years ago) and assign a percentage fault for that defendant. It’s nuts.

In a civil suit the standard is a “preponderance of the evidence” which is a much easier standard. And proving when and where contracted will take a lot of effort, but when money is involved a lawyer can do anything! In ongoing asbestos suits they figure out what boats or factories people were in, how long, what the conditions were like (all from like 60-70 years ago) and assign a percentage fault for that defendant. It’s nuts.
Thanks for response. That’s helpful

Nope. Not even close. You wanna play? Yes? Sign this waiver........... signed..........now you wanna sue? GTFO.....judge tosses it. Done.

Reactions: Snake006
Coaches pushing back hard. So far, Franklin, Harbaugh and Day are advocating for the season to happen anyway.

Nope. Not even close. You wanna play? Yes? Sign this waiver........... signed..........now you wanna sue? GTFO.....judge tosses it. Done.

If it was this easy, don’t you think they would be doing this? Any waiver like that would be voided easily if a kid says he caught it because proper precautions were not taken or that the plan to keep people safe was not what he was lead to believe... So on and so forth.

Coaches pushing back hard. So far, Franklin, Harbaugh and Day are advocating for the season to happen anyway.
The Big 10 is saying no final vote has been taken so what is the 12/14 vote everyone is talking about today? This entire situation has been handled in the worst way possible by the commissioner of the Big 10. He is just making far reaching decisions without consulting other conferences, claiming he is doing it at the urging of athletes who are in open rebellion against him after the announcement which means all that was a flat out lie, and now he is being called out by coaches, State Governors and THE PRESIDENT. Never has a conference commissioner screwed up so massively and so publicly on such an important decision. The man has gone completely rogue a d made them the laughing stock of college FB! Timeline- early last week “we are releasing the schedules”- less than a day later “wait, commish might cancel the season”... two or so days after that- “OK here are those schedules we promised”, then on Sunday- “Oops, forget those schedules we are canceling the season after a 12/2 vote in favor of cancellation”- then on Monday afternoon after the whole world tells them this stupid “vote!?! What vote... We haven’t made our minds up yet!”... this sounds like a bad joke but that is legitimately what this moron has done just over the past week! I did not even mention how he just erased their non-con schedule without consulting with other conferences THAT HE HAD GAMES SET UP WITH!?! Then he said he hoped everyone would follow suit. That is not how this works you fool! To get everyone on the same plan you have to st least include them in the discussion prior to announcing things! If this man is still the Commish after this, he must have some dirty secrets on somebody of great power because he is doing the worst he possibly could at this point.

If it was this easy, don’t you think they would be doing this? Any waiver like that would be voided easily if a kid says he caught it because proper precautions were not taken or that the plan to keep people safe was not what he was lead to believe... So on and so forth.

Yea, I don’t think a waiver works unless all the conferences draft uniform guidelines that everyone must follow - and the guidelines were also created with the input of player representatives. But the player reps would need to be from an organized body of players who all sign up for the body and agree to abide by any guidelines created with the player reps.

I do think something like this is possible, but not before the Fall season. They should aim for the spring and have everything in place and ready to go. Then keep the players on campus over Christmas when everyone goes home and start up in early January.

The key though (lawsuit wise) is that all the conferences take the exact same precautions. If there’s any differences, those will be used to show that one Conference wasn’t taking all the necessary steps for safety (because you’ll be able to point to another conference doing more).

But they allow the players to play knowing full well that CTE is running rampant within this sport. Okay...

Well, if the person tests positive right after associating with other players on the same or different teams, then it becomes clearer. It's hard for you or me to determine. For people tested multiple times weekly, it would be far easier to narrow down.

You know, my thoughts are beginning to change. I think college football might just play with three of the leagues. I think the momentum being driven by players and coaches might, just might have an impact!

Not so fast my friend, in the state of Florida any pre injury liability waiver will not be enforceable against a minor if the injury at issue results from risks that were not inherent in the activity itself.

I would guess most states would have similar language.

Not so fast my friend, in the state of Florida any pre injury liability waiver will not be enforceable against a minor if the injury at issue results from risks that were not inherent in the activity itself.

I would guess most states would have similar language.

What age constitutes a minor?

And, isn't the whole point of all of this that exposure to covid is inherent to the activity involved with playing football? If it's not, then why is the season in jeopardy of being canceled?

What age constitutes a minor?

And, isn't the whole point of all of this that exposure to covid is inherent to the activity involved with playing football? If it's not, then why is the season in jeopardy of being canceled?
I'm just passing along information. Perhaps someone with a background in legal matters can answer your questions.

I'm just passing along information. Perhaps someone with a background in legal matters can answer your questions.

It's my understanding that 18 and up, you're no longer a minor. This is the case in most states, though I think there are a few exceptions.

As far as liability waivers, those usually suffer from not being able to address every imaginable liability one could encounter. However, in this case, you're talking about one liability: contracting covid. Highly specific waivers could be drawn up.

But they allow the players to play knowing full well that CTE is running rampant within this sport. Okay...
You cant catch CTE, broken bones, concussions, Bruising, heart ailments, STD’s, hangovers, etc by standing inside of a few feet of another person/persons. Okay....

You cant catch CTE, broken bones, concussions, Bruising, heart ailments, STD’s, hangovers, etc by standing inside of a few feet of another person/persons. Okay....

Of course. That's a silly argument. It's not a discussion of method of transmission. It's one of risks. Football IS a high contact sport with MANY risks for injuries due to contact. The point is: there are many inherent injury risks associated with playing football, but nobody bats an eye at those.

Reactions: usc01#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT