ADVERTISEMENT

1970 ACC Regular Season Champs

GandBinNC

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Jul 12, 2011
Raleigh, NC (from Columbia, SC)
It's been a while since I have been to CLA for a game, but as I recall, there is no banner recognizing the 1970 ACC Regular Season Championship. Only the 1971 Tournament Champs. Other ACC teams recognize regular season championships with banners - even those from the days when only the tournament champions went to the NCAA tournament. South Carolina should as well. Can anyone confirm that there is or is not a banner for 1970?

It's been a while since I have been to CLA for a game, but as I recall, there is no banner recognizing the 1970 ACC Regular Season Championship. Only the 1971 Tournament Champs. Other ACC teams recognize regular season championships with banners - even those from the days when only the tournament champions went to the NCAA tournament. South Carolina should as well. Can anyone confirm that there is or is not a banner for 1970?
There was no trophy given so there was no banner hung. I concur with that in the context of when it was. In those days, it was very expressly stated that he tournament champion was the conference champion, which is what made our loss to N.C. State Roche's junior year perhaps the most tragic athletic loss in the history of the school.

There was no trophy given so there was no banner hung. I concur with that in the context of when it was. In those days, it was very expressly stated that he tournament champion was the conference champion, which is what made our loss to N.C. State Roche's junior year perhaps the most tragic athletic loss in the history of the school.
Was that the game where Roche tried to play with a hurt ankle?

Reactions: ForeUSC
The ACC Champion has always, and still is, determined by the ACC Tournament. It's Stupid to just throw out an entire regular season, except for seeding, but that's how its always been done. If you go to the official list you will see that USC has one Championship, clem has zero.
Yeah, USC went 14-0 in 1970, lost in double OT in the tournament, and couldn't even play in the NIT. The season was over. It was a joke

The ACC Champion has always, and still is, determined by the ACC Tournament. It's Stupid to just throw out an entire regular season, except for seeding, but that's how its always been done. If you go to the official list you will see that USC has one Championship, clem has zero.
Yeah, USC went 14-0 in 1970, lost in double OT in the tournament, and couldn't even play in the NIT. The season was over. It was a joke
No doubt the influence of Tobacco Road....

AND the way it happened-a lazy not being aware pass by Cremins that was intercepted by a NC St player who was in full gear before he even caught Cremin's pass meant for Roche. He was watching Cremins and just waiting for him to do what he knew he would do.

A tragic tragic moment for GC BB. A tie with Navy loss in '84. Bad luck stalks the GCs.

Seems to me a Riker basket that would have won the tournament COULD have counted. But ACC refs and ACC clock keepers.

Still remember those games as you can tell. It speaks to how important it was to me. STILL a fan of GC sports but after decades of disappointment(other than a few years here and there)my passion has waned.

apparently the ending of the nc state game was highly controversial, bad blood with the NC schools leading to us leaving the acc

Still, if UNC, Duke, NC State, etc, hang regular season champion banners (and having been to games at Duke and NC State since moving to Raleigh, I can attest that they do hang those banners for the years when only conference tournament winners went to the NCAA), why wouldn't we recognize the 1970 team in the same manner?

Its another example of our University not properly recognizing past success. Our AD's over the years have been utterly blind to anything that came before them. Tanner, I believe is making positive strides in that category with some of the recent jersey retirements.

A banner recognizing the 1970 team is needed and long past due. That team, along with 1971, 1997, 1998, and 2017 is among the best five teams in program history. Arguably the greatest.

Last edited:
Lol ... no shot clock. You must remember the low scoring games. Roche dribbling between his legs and passively changing directions in order to milk the clock. Drama-filled but not overly exciting from a scoring standpoint.

Reactions: HuntleyDuryea
apparently the ending of the nc state game was highly controversial, bad blood with the NC schools leading to us leaving the acc
Had nothing to do with leaving the ACC. All about Dietzel recognizing that the higher ACC entrance requirements made it very hard to compete in football

Had nothing to do with leaving the ACC. All about Dietzel recognizing that the higher ACC entrance requirements made it very hard to compete in football

This is true. Leaving the ACC was a football decision. If we had an athletic director who was not also our football coach in 1971, we would almost certainly still be in the ACC. Yes, there were heated, sometimes toxic rivalries in basketball, but cooler heads would have prevailed were it not for Dietzel leading the charge. McGuire understood the importance of the ACC.

Dietzel has a complicated legacy at USC. He was a phenomenal fund raiser, and our facilities improved greatly under his watch. Carolina Coliseum ('68), Carolina Spring Sports complex (including the baseball stadium which would become Sarge Frye Field) and The Roost athletic dorms ('69), Williams-Brice Stadium west upper deck and other improvements ('71), etc. His 1969 football squad also won our first and to this day, only outright conference championship.

But his overall record as head football coach was not even up to Gamecock standards of mediocrity - he went 42-53-1 (.442) over nine seasons. Much worse, he presided over the single greatest blunder in the history of the athletic department, if not the history of NCAA sports, in pulling South Carolina out of the ACC. 20 years in the wilderness followed, along with the destruction of our elite men's basketball program.

Last edited:
NCAA Basketball used to be a joke in the old days. The winner of the ACC Tournament was recognized as the official conference champion while a team that went 14 - 0 is not? What kind of hogwash was this logic? And on top of that, there used to be no shot clock and 3 point shot in play? Give me a freaking break!!!

NCAA Basketball used to be a joke in the old days. The winner of the ACC Tournament was recognized as the official conference champion while a team that went 14 - 0 is not? What kind of hogwash was this logic? And on top of that, there used to be no shot clock and 3 point shot in play? Give me a freaking break!!!
It was that way in every conference back then. My senior year in high school we went 9-1. And didn’t qualify for the playoffs. Just the way it was back then

Seems to me a Riker basket that would have won the tournament COULD have counted. But ACC refs and ACC clock keepers.

Still remember those games as you can tell. It speaks to how important it was to me. STILL a fan of GC sports but after decades of disappointment(other than a few years here and there)my passion has waned.
After I saw your post I tried to look it up but couldn't find anything about the end of the NCSU game except that it was Norm Sloan's first ACC Championship. Both Clemson and NCSU held the ball on us resulting in low scoring games. I have a vague recollection that we had a chance at the end to win the NCSU game, but I may have heard it second hand. (I was 16 at the time)

I also remember something about the injury to Roche the night before against Wake Forest. Seems like there was talk that it was intentional - a trip of some kind.

From 1969-1972 I attended a prep school in NC. Most of the boys were from NC. I used to catch a lot of heat from them over USC vs UNC matches - most of which SC won in those days. I remember when Roche got ACC POY over Charlie Scott. That rubbed the NC people raw. One article I read said that Scott complained publicly that Roche was the only thing SC had - the rest of the team just set picks for him.

Folks who weren’t around simply cannot fathom the intensity, notoriety, and sheer magic that was gamecock basketball for those three years, making the tournament loss mentioned that more gut wrenching. Someone mentioned Navy - no, that was not even close. That 84 team was a one hit wonder, pulled a couple of games out of their arses, and would have required another Houdini act to finish the season undefeated; those basketball teams were dominant badasses led by a surly assassin. The closest thing that comes to them is Dawn’s teams, but without the magic and excitement.

Folks who weren’t around simply cannot fathom the intensity, notoriety, and sheer magic that was gamecock basketball for those three years, making the tournament loss mentioned that more gut wrenching. Someone mentioned Navy - no, that was not even close. That 84 team was a one hit wonder, pulled a couple of games out of their arses, and would have required another Houdini act to finish the season undefeated; those basketball teams were dominant badasses led by a surly assassin. The closest thing that comes to them is Dawn’s teams, but without the magic and excitement.

You are right. They absolutely cannot fathom it.

People camped out overnight for tickets to those games. I was home for Christmas one year and my brother and I decided to try to go to a game. It was a 7 pm early season OCC game - probably LaSalle or St. Bonaventure. We parked on Senate Street near Trinity Church about 5 pm and walked down to the Coliseum. There were probably 400-500 people trying to find tickets. But the remarkable thing was the electricity in the air. You could sense the excitement of people OUTSIDE. It was a different time for SC. One that will likely not be repeated anytime soon. We got in the game halfway through the first half. There were people in our seats and they "declined" to move. You couldn't go anywhere anyway. So we just stood at the rails and watched the game.

The next year we went to another game - this time a big one. It was either Marquette or Notre Dame. It was the loudest most boisterous crowd I have ever seen. (I never saw and ACC game in person, but they couldn't have been any louder or more boisterous than this one.) The other team had an AA center. When they left the court at half-time he had to be restrained from going into the stands after a fan who called him out. When he came back out he flipped off the crowd at the tunnel which only fueled the flames.

I've been to 10 or so games at the CLA. Some that were reportedly sold out. (they were not) I've heard people try to compare the biggest games at the CLA to one of those games and it's a joke. The difference is like comparing Sunday morning traffic to traffic at 5 pm on Friday. I'm glad I lived to witness it.

The closest might be one of Spurrier's big games against Georgia or Alabama.

I missed those days, unfortunately. My earliest memories of Carolina basketball are of the 1980-81 team, Bill Foster's first. I was 8 y/o. But I have heard all the stories, and as a kid walking into Frank McGuire Arena, I could feel that magic. I miss that place.

My dad tells stories of driving from Savannah, where we lived in the early 70's, to Columbia just to watch the games on television, as most games were broadcast locally by WIS in those days.

Last edited:

People camped out overnight for tickets to those games. I was home for Christmas one year and my brother and I decided to try to go to a game. It was a 7 pm early season OCC game - probably LaSalle or St. Bonaventure. We parked on Senate Street near Trinity Church about 5 pm and walked down to the Coliseum. There were probably 400-500 people trying to find tickets. But the remarkable thing was the electricity in the air. You could sense the excitement of people OUTSIDE. It was a different time for SC. One that will likely not be repeated anytime soon. We got in the game halfway through the first half. There were people in our seats and they "declined" to move. You couldn't go anywhere anyway. So we just stood at the rails and watched the game.

The next year we went to another game - this time a big one. It was either Marquette or Notre Dame. It was the loudest most boisterous crowd I have ever seen. (I never saw and ACC game in person, but they couldn't have been any louder or more boisterous than this one.) The other team had an AA center. When they left the court at half-time he had to be restrained from going into the stands after a fan who called him out. When he came back out he flipped off the crowd at the tunnel which only fueled the flames.

I've been to 10 or so games at the CLA. Some that were reportedly sold out. (they were not) I've heard people try to compare the biggest games at the CLA to one of those games and it's a joke. The difference is like comparing Sunday morning traffic to traffic at 5 pm on Friday. I'm glad I lived to witness it.

Between Carolina and Tobacco Road it was quite simply the best college basketball in the country back then

Reactions: OldWiseCock
This is true. Leaving the ACC was a football decision. If we had an athletic director who was not also our football coach in 1971, we would almost certainly still be in the ACC. Yes, there were heated, sometimes toxic rivalries in basketball, but cooler heads would have prevailed were it not for Dietzel leading the charge. McGuire understood the importance of the ACC.

Dietzel has a complicated legacy at USC. He was a phenomenal fund raiser, and our facilities improved greatly under his watch. Carolina Coliseum ('68), Carolina Spring Sports complex (including the baseball stadium which would become Sarge Frye Field) and The Roost athletic dorms ('69), Williams-Brice Stadium west upper deck and other improvements ('71), etc. His 1969 football squad also won our first and to this day, only outright conference championship.

But his overall record as head football coach was not even up to Gamecock standards of mediocrity - he went 42-53-1 (.442) over nine seasons. Much worse, he presided over the single greatest blunder in the history of the athletic department, if not the history of NCAA sports, in pulling South Carolina out of the ACC. 20 years in the wilderness followed, along with the destruction of our elite men's basketball program.
Pepsodent Paul was a good man, but couldn't get it done on the gridiron.

Dietzel was a better AD than coach.

Does anyone here remember the GROD bumper stickers at the end?

Stood for "Get Rid of Dietzel."

Go Cocks!

AND the way it happened-a lazy not being aware pass by Cremins that was intercepted by a NC St player who was in full gear before he even caught Cremin's pass meant for Roche. He was watching Cremins and just waiting for him to do what he knew he would do.

A tragic tragic moment for GC BB. A tie with Navy loss in '84. Bad luck stalks the GCs.
I always thought it was mainly because McGuire played Roche hurt.

The Marquette and Notre Dame games were similar to the Alabama and Georgia type football games. The ACC game atmosphere, particularly Maryland, NCS, Duke, and Wake were like Clemson football games. The UNC games, especially Roche’s sophomore year from my perspective, were absolutely off the charts. That was serious stuff.

Star guard John Roche went down with a sprained ankle late in an ACC tournament semifinal win over Wake Forest.

Roche was severely hobbled in a double-overtime loss to North Carolina State in the final.

I still remember losing to Tennessee and Davidson as our only regular season losses in 1970. What a bummer.
Both of those losses were at home.

The early season UT loss was like a death in the family; maybe worse.

I still remember losing to Tennessee and Davidson as our only regular season losses in 1970. What a bummer.

Gamecocks were pre-season #1, and were 1-0 after whipping Auburn to start the season before losing to unranked Tennessee in game 2. They were 17-1, ranked #2 and riding a 16 game winning streak when they lost by six at home to #16 Davidson in February. Carolina won the next six, before losing the 2 OT heartbreaker to NC State in the ACC Final.

I agree with one other poster... that 1970 ACC final was the worst loss in Gamecock athletics history. Rounds 1 and 2 of the NCAA Tourney were in Carolina Coliseum. Carolina almost certainly would have gone deep into the tournament. UCLA defeated Jacksonville (???) for the title that season. God, what could have been...

Reactions: shagginrooster
The Marquette and Notre Dame games were similar to the Alabama and Georgia type football games. The ACC game atmosphere, particularly Maryland, NCS, Duke, and Wake were like Clemson football games. The UNC games, especially Roche’s sophomore year from my perspective, were absolutely off the charts. That was serious stuff.
It was tense back then...I recall hearing how a NC team (Duke?) threw dead chickens on the court when USC played; and back in those days, Rikard and Ribock were “enforcers.” I was at one game at Car. Col. when fists flew and benched erupted. I think Ribock decked someone (if my memory is correct, he was 6’8” and solidly built). They were scrappy, like dapper Frank McQuire.

It was tense back then...I recall hearing how a NC team (Duke?) threw dead chickens on the court when USC played; and back in those days, Rikard (sic) and Ribock were “enforcers.” I was at one game at Car. Col. when fists flew and benched erupted. I think Ribock decked someone (if my memory is correct, he was 6’8” and solidly built). They were scrappy, like dapper Frank McQuire.
Tom Riker and John Ribock

Gamecocks were pre-season #1, and were 1-0 after whipping Auburn to start the season before losing to unranked Tennessee in game 2. They were 17-1, ranked #2 and riding a 16 game winning streak when they lost by six at home to #16 Davidson in February. Carolina won the next six, before losing the 2 OT heartbreaker to NC State in the ACC Final.

I agree with one other poster... that 1970 ACC final was the worst loss in Gamecock athletics history. Rounds 1 and 2 of the NCAA Tourney were in Carolina Coliseum. Carolina almost certainly would have gone deep into the tournament. UCLA defeated Jacksonville (???) for the title that season. God, what could have been...
The regional at the coliseum that year had some great players if not so great teams in Calvin Murphy and Bob Lanier. They also had some form of national high school player game or games as well; sat in the stands next to the bare footed Bill Walton who was playing in those games. Dude had the biggest feet I’ve seen before or since; his toes were like six inches.

I didn't laugh. I believe I cried, and I was a young but grown man at the time.

Still, if UNC, Duke, NC State, etc, hang regular season champion banners (and having been to games at Duke and NC State since moving to Raleigh, I can attest that they do hang those banners for the years when only conference tournament winners went to the NCAA), why wouldn't we recognize the 1970 team in the same manner?

Its another example of our University not properly recognizing past success. Our AD's over the years have been utterly blind to anything that came before them. Tanner, I believe is making positive strides in that category with some of the recent jersey retirements.

A banner recognizing the 1970 team is needed and long past due. That team, along with 1971, 1997, 1998, and 2017 is among the best five teams in program history. Arguably the greatest.
Were they hung at the time? If they were hung at the time, we'll talk. But I'll tell you this: McGuire and those people that played for them would not have wanted such a banner - not then. I'm telling you, the mindset was different then and pride wouldn't have allowed for it. They would have viewed it - right or wrong - as a sort of participation trophy. I do not believe the banners you described were being hung at the time.

With a healthy Roche in the Spring of 1970 we would have been almost assured of a Final Four and a shot against UCLA that may have resulted in a Championship. Roche had a severe ankle injury in the ACC semi final game against Wake and would not be healthy again for months. What might have been was gone. Hard to believe that was fifty years ago.

had we stayed in the ACC we had a chance to become a UNC/Duke type of program in basketball, and the football program could have added some more conference titles, sad! Dietzel and Tanner both the destroyer of GC athletics.

Were they hung at the time? If they were hung at the time, we'll talk. But I'll tell you this: McGuire and those people that played for them would not have wanted such a banner - not then. I'm telling you, the mindset was different then and pride wouldn't have allowed for it. They would have viewed it - right or wrong - as a sort of participation trophy. I do not believe the banners you described were being hung at the time.

I haven't the slightest idea whether they were hung at the time or five minutes before I walked into the arena several years ago. And I get that, in 1970, McGuire and crew would have refused the acknowledgement. I understand what you're saying. But there's a lot of water under the bridge since then. 50 years worth of water.

My point is that 1970 team deserves recognition for the place it holds in program history and for an ACC regular season championship and perfect 14-0 record, whether it was good for an NCAA bid or not. How many perfect regular season records have their been in the history of ACC basketball? I would venture to guess a precious few. UNC/Duke/NC State have seen fit to honor their regular season champions of that era. Why wouldn't we?

And to PalmettoG27's point about preferring to focus on 2020 rather than 50 years ago... aren't we capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time? I'm not asking Frank Martin to personally embroider the banner. This is about the University, the athletic department, and recognizing history. We can and we absolutely should honor the past while focusing on the future.

Last edited:
personally rather put our focus on a new 2020ish SEC Championship banner then dwell on something we should have had from 100 years ago.
Son, you go ahead and “focus” on that 2020ish championship; make it so. In this thread the adults are discussing an actual event. Run along and find a post where you can discuss your feelings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT