ADVERTISEMENT

1997: south carolina 72, kentucky 66

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
anybody know where i can find the game from 1997 when we won in rupp arena clinched the sec regular season title and ruined kentucky's senior day? looked all over youtube for it but can't find it, it's as if the game never happened.

Originally posted by cockhornleghorn:
I think I have it on VHS somewhere. Technology sure has come a long way in 18 years!
I think I recorded it on the 'ole vhs too!...that was the day I broke down and upgraded my cable package to get espn!

That victory arguably ranks among the most impressive in Gamecock sports history. I was there that day. Faith Hill sang the National Anthem. Ashley Judd was among the overcapacity crowd. It was Pitino's last home game as Kentucky's coach. That Kentucky team had 4 or 5 future NBA players on it. Despite all that, the Gamecocks, led by the incredibly fast guard tandem of Melvin Watson and BJ McKie, hung tight the whole game and made key free throws down the stretch to shock the basketball world. Great memory!

I remember it well. Pitino cussed the refs out as KY left the floor. I can't remember for sure, but did Pitino get ejected just before the end of the game?

Wally you're so right. Pitino getting tossed was the cherry on top that day. What a basketball team Fogler had at that time.

Him getting on the microphone "PLEASE DO NOT THROW ANYTHING ON THE FLOOR, SOUTH CAROLINA DOESN'T DESERVE IT AND NEITHER DO WE"

Man, I was in the 8th grade that year but would love to see both those wins over Kentucky that year again.... Heck I think we even beat a really good Cincinnati team on the road that year.

I still remember the game in Columbia when Larry Davis tried to go in with a fancy dunk that went off the back rim. He ran back down the court avoiding to look over at Fogler who was giving him that ice cold stare. Fortunately we still won the game. Melvin Watson was outstanding against Kentucky. They couldn't press him. He'd beat it with the dribble and his speed down the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT