ADVERTISEMENT

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Just something to ponder over to kill time during the "boring season" but i've often wondered if Anthony Wright doesn't go down against Tennessee that year if we manage to win one of our remaining games to get to 6-5, and if we did get to 6-5 if the bowl people would've snubbed us again.

It is means nothing just to get to a bowl now since we play 12 games. When we went to 12 games the min to go to a bowl should have been moved to 7.

Getting to a bowl is about equal to saying you played for the acc championship. Who cares lmao

Just something to ponder over to kill time during the "boring season" but i've often wondered if Anthony Wright doesn't go down against Tennessee that year if we manage to win one of our remaining games to get to 6-5, and if we did get to 6-5 if the bowl people would've snubbed us again.

My guess is yes. 1996 was criminal. Even though we were 6-5. That team was 2 plays away from 8-3 losing a close home game to Miss State and hung tight at Auburn. The East Carolina game probably would’ve gotten us to 7 wins alone if not for the monsoon.

With better coaching, that team could’ve easily won 8-9 games. 6-5 in the SEC then should’ve gotten to a bowl. Does it matter...not a ton but the respect should’ve been there for an invite. That team did have wins over Clemson and Georgia, which made it a better 6-5 than most years.

We didn't win our first Bowl game until after I was a graduate. Bowl wins matter, but I am not excited about the quantity of them that exist now.

OrangeRalphMember
New

And taters still putting Omaha on hats. That’s funny
Sorry, football thread here,

It’s whatever we want it to be...Sheephumper. Go polish your tooth!

Reactions: jonesz21
My guess is yes. 1996 was criminal. Even though we were 6-5. That team was 2 plays away from 8-3 losing a close home game to Miss State and hung tight at Auburn. The East Carolina game probably would’ve gotten us to 7 wins alone if not for the monsoon.

With better coaching, that team could’ve easily won 8-9 games. 6-5 in the SEC then should’ve gotten to a bowl. Does it matter...not a ton but the respect should’ve been there for an invite. That team did have wins over Clemson and Georgia, which made it a better 6-5 than most years.

Team crapped the bed against ECU & Miss State. Definitely had 8 win talent. Hung with a loaded Tennessee team pretty good with Duce Staley on the shelf, as well.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Even with Anthony Wright we likely don’t win another game in the “Orange Crush” portion of our schedule. The most winnable would’ve been Clemson at home. We did have a chance in that game and I recall being firmly in control headed toward halftime and we ran a trick play near the Clemson goal line and turned the ball over. Clemson scored a TD before the half of my memory is correct.

I remember that Vic Penn transferred to UCF and had a great career. Was even listed as a Heisman contender at one point.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Team crapped the bed against ECU & Miss State. Definitely had 8 win talent. Hung with a loaded Tennessee team pretty good with Duce Staley on the shelf, as well.

Have to give them a pass on the ECU rain storm from hell. Not exactly ideal conditions. Miss State was crapping the bed though. No excuse against that team.

Even with Anthony Wright we likely don’t win another game in the “Orange Crush” portion of our schedule. The most winnable would’ve been Clemson at home. We did have a chance in that game and I recall being firmly in control headed toward halftime and we ran a trick play near the Clemson goal line and turned the ball over. Clemson scored a TD before the half of my memory is correct.

I remember that Vic Penn transferred to UCF and had a great career. Was even listed as a Heisman contender at one point.

Pinpoint memory.

Tillman game was very winnable.

Vic Penn was a huge loss, but the Matkins kid out of Charlotte was too. He was supposed to be a big time QB and I'm not sure if he ever saw a snap

was sittin' right above it when it developed & happened (slow motion, as u knew what was comin' ), .....knew we were screwed rest of yr:-(

Brad Scott turned many players into Heisman candidates...at other schools.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Have to give them a pass on the ECU rain storm from hell. Not exactly ideal conditions. Miss State was crapping the bed though. No excuse against thatteam.

What was that ECU RBs name...Hardy? That kid was a “mudder”. Everybody was slipping around the field and he could stop on a dime and leave change.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I was hoping this was about the 1997 hoops team- the year SI claimed that all roads to the NCAA finals were supposed to go through both Columbia’s- SC & MO.

Have to give them a pass on the ECU rain storm from hell. Not exactly ideal conditions. Miss State was crapping the bed though. No excuse against thatteam.

What was that ECU RBs name...Hardy? That kid was a “mudder”. Everybody was slipping around the field and he could stop on a dime and leave change.
Harley. Every step he took was splashing huge waves of water.

The tennesuck game is why I can’t stand Peyton Manning to this day. He had his worst career game against us and he really pouted. Most people said that game cost him the Heisman. Said we didn’t play to win just to stay close. Also made fun of us for Jamal Lewis (future NFL all-pro) having a good day. All this while Anthony Wright was in the locker room with a career threatening injury which seems to happen against tennesuck on a regular basis. I hate them almost half as bad as clemsuck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT