ADVERTISEMENT

2 questions....Clemson football operations building vs ours

Not big on fishing, hunting, golf or shopping. I do like to eat and I can get my history from the museum in Columbia. I don't need to be reminded of the slave trade everytime I walk down Market St. From Columbia you are 2 hours from the beach, 2 hours from the mountains, and a not too long ride to Atlanta.

Columbia is 2 hours from the beach and 2 hours from the mountains. That means that Columbia is a great place to live if you want to be somewhere else.

Columbia is 2 hours from the beach and 2 hours from the mountains. That means that Columbia is a great place to live if you want to be somewhere else.
It means if I want to visit those places it's not a long drive to get there. Columbia still offers all the a small city should as far as night life, dining, and recreation. I don't need to live on the beach or in the mountains but they are nice places to visit when I chose to.

Reactions: stevestrat2
Ours is utilitarian and theirs is for fun and bringing in recruits. We apparently are half assing it based on tanners comments.

18 year olds are blown away by the WOW factor. Don't look at it from the stand point of usefulness look at the how the building we blow away an 18 year old recruit.

It takes me an hour and 15 minutes to get to Charlotte. I followed the basketball teams to NYC, Dallas and Phoenix and all of my flights originated in Columbia.

Originated out of Columbia?? LOL- Some people like to take direct flights and not have to change plans like an animal.

Originated out of Columbia?? LOL- Some people like to take direct flights and not have to change plans like an animal.

I had non-stop flights to BOTH NYC and Dallas, both ways. I flew to and from Dallas to go to Phoenix between the 2 women's games.

I don't think we have a sliding board or an outdoor area for cooking out. No putt-putt either. These are essentials.

And why should we take up a collection when the department is flush with cash?

Our outdoor grilling area has an infinity pool on lake Murray...

Glad they decided to built what they built, but it was a knee jerk reaction to follow Clemson building one. Does it need all of the amusement factors that Clemson put in to be functional? No. But Clemson has gotten a ton of nationwide press concerning those non football related extras, and those extras seem to really impress potential recruits. You don't hear recruits talking about a nice weight room. Everybody seems to have one. But you do hear recruits talking about the extras that Clemson threw in. Maybe some find comfort in the "old school" approach that they want to tie Muschamp to. Fine. But we need to be focused on what attracts recruits as opposed to some hope that the old school approach somehow may make Muschamp the next Nick Satan. And he needs all the recruiting help he can get.

Reactions: griffgolf
It means if I want to visit those places it's not a long drive to get there. Columbia still offers all the a small city should as far as night life, dining, and recreation. I don't need to live on the beach or in the mountains but they are nice places to visit when I chose to.
Agree 100%....Columbia is way underrated. Great restaurants, pubs, city, nature, music, lake, great zoo, national parks, the University scene, Fireflies baseball, location, historical points of interest, the rivers and kayaking/ tubing, nice neighborhoods, ect....

Reactions: funktavious
Either do what is necessary or we don't compete. 56-7 and Clemson's success has completely changed my thinking....combined with our own self inflicted demise. Don't want to ever feel like I did in that 3rd quarter of the Clemson game. If that didn't wake up our administration then it is not going to happen. Will have another 100 years like the previous. Don't want that.

Either do what is necessary or we don't compete. 56-7 and Clemson's success has completely changed my thinking....combined with our own self inflicted demise. Don't want to ever feel like I did in that 3rd quarter of the Clemson game. If that didn't wake up our administration then it is not going to happen. Will have another 100 years like the previous. Don't want that.

I don't have 100 years to wait, so let's do what it takes today so I can die with the satisfaction that we won big in football.

Reactions: NooNoo
Also, there's not much else to do in Clemson. Give them everything to do there and they don't need a city to go out and find things to do. If USC did all that there would still be guys going out and finding other things to do because they live in a city.
Truer words were never spoken.

I still hope Tanner the AD are looking for upgrades to the new facility to impress recruits, though outdoor grilling areas and a bowling alley wouldn't be something I would consider thrilling for recruits.

I wonder if the new building was built with the idea that some of the other things that it presently lacks now could be added later. I believe getting a new facility built as quick as possible was essentially.

Of course those who think we need a particular feature should feel free to contact our athletic department and donate money for the cost of that feature!

As for the bells and whistles that will or will not be there, I remember when Bama opened up some new facility that had a waterfall in the cold tub room.(or something with a waterfall). That was all they talked about. Now the upstate team opens up with The Paw Journey(taking care of the player during and after their college career ends), a slide for fun, barber shop where kids can hang out and get a trim, putt putt to have fun with each other(or their dates), etc. They have a locker room for their past players still in the NFL for when they want to come back and work out. We don't welcome our players back like they do. Their clown coach just won back to back ACC championships and came damn close to 2 National Championships, winning One over Bama. Take some damn notes and try to duplicate some of it, please. 56-7 hurts!

Indeed.

As for the bells and whistles that will or will not be there, I remember when Bama opened up some new facility that had a waterfall in the cold tub room.(or something with a waterfall). That was all they talked about. Now the upstate team opens up with The Paw Journey(taking care of the player during and after their college career ends), a slide for fun, barber shop where kids can hang out and get a trim, putt putt to have fun with each other(or their dates), etc. They have a locker room for their past players still in the NFL for when they want to come back and work out. We don't welcome our players back like they do. Their clown coach just won back to back ACC championships and came damn close to 2 National Championships, winning One over Bama. Take some damn notes and try to duplicate some of it, please. 56-7 hurts!

It will be just as nice as the one in cow town. Problem is ours is 1-2 years down the line. Then they have a new thing. It is an arms race, our problem is we are always a step behind. Our stadium needs an upgrade before we can do anything after our new ops building is done.
How can you say it will be just as nice? There is no laser tag, no putt putt, no bowling alley. Hell, I'm a Clemson fan and I think the facility is ridiculous. There is a nap room! Also, Clemson is the first college to purchase a Shredmill. Several NFL teams bought it and a lot of NFL players have one at home. Only 3 college teams have it but Clemson is one of the 3. They are on the cutting edge.

I think Greenville and Charleston would beg to differ. As would the majority of the population in and outside of SC.
I've lived in the lowcountry my whole life and Charleston blows and it is extremely overpriced. You can live in Columbia for half of what you would pay in Charleston. I haven't spent enough time in Greenville to have an opinion on it

Last edited:
I've lived in the lowcountry my whole life and Charleston blows. I haven't spent enough time in Greenville to have an opinion on it

Don't most college athletes get breaks from their craft on weekends since the workouts and preparation for their sport is intensely time consuming during the week in season and out of season? Let's go hang out @ the football ops facility for fun this weekend just doesn't sound right.

I'm glad we will have the ops building under construction and already have
the Dodie, Strom Thurman facilty, and great facilties for the other sports. I bet spending time at a girl's beech volleyball game beats laser tag and bowling any day of the week. Plus 650 Lincoln is walking distance to downtown so the student athlete's can enjoy their stipend $$ on fine dining, dancing, or other entertainment to get a break away from football.

Sliding board is an absolute essential
pffft.png

Why has this not been helping us when it comes to recruiting? I love USC, but never been a fan of Columbia.
Honestly, I think big cities are more apt for basketball. Columbia offers a big city atmosphere. On the other hand, football is a small town sport, at least in the south. Think Seneca, Pickens, Dillon, Union, Walterboro. Most of those kids don't want to end up in a bigger city

I've lived in the lowcountry my whole life and Charleston blows and it is extremely overpriced. You can live in Columbia for half of what you would pay in Charleston. I haven't spent enough time in Greenville to have an opinion on it

Sounds likes a fair rational take to decide Columbia is the best the state has to offer without spending any time in Greenville

Not big on fishing, hunting, golf or shopping. I do like to eat and I can get my history from the museum in Columbia. I don't need to be reminded of the slave trade everytime I walk down Market St. From Columbia you are 2 hours from the beach, 2 hours from the mountains, and a not too long ride to Atlanta.

So.... you're two hours away from anything cool??? That sounds really enticing!

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Honestly, I think big cities are more apt for basketball. Columbia offers a big city atmosphere. On the other hand, football is a small town sport, at least in the south. Think Seneca, Pickens, Dillon, Union, Walterboro. Most of those kids don't want to end up in a bigger city
If a high school player is highly ranked by the recruiting media, it seems they would want to pick the best location to continue the hype. The source of the amount of coverage a school gets depends on the Top 25 ranking, pre-season hype, top players on the team, reputation of coaches, and stage a coach is at in their career. I think in the next 2 to 3 years, Muschamp can get us to the level Clemson just reached.

Also, downtown Columbia is much nicer than Clemson and the University is right in the middle of it. 650 Lincoln is in an excellent location for a student athlete to reside during their college career. To attend the Gamecock Gala hosted last week, alll the had to do was cross the street. Also, when their parents come to see them, they can lodge at the Hilton and be right around the corner from their child with plenty of fine dining options if they choose to splurge. If it is a game weekend, that would be an excellent reward to celebrate a Gamecock victory.

Sounds likes a fair rational take to decide Columbia is the best the state has to offer without spending any time in Greenville
I didn't say I hadn't spent any time there, just not enough. Been to a couple of concerts at the BiLo Center but that's about it. It's also in the far corner of the state which makes access to the rest of the state a much farther drive.

Don't see how you could say Charleston blows...one of the greatest cities in the world.

Don't see how you could say Charleston blows...one of the greatest cities in the world.
It is way overpriced and the music scene is dead. In the 90s there were some really decent local rock bands but its dead now. They started enforcing curfews downtown and its turned into a place for tourists and old folks. I'm not there yet. LOL

It is way overpriced and the music scene is dead. In the 90s there were some really decent local rock bands but its dead now. They started enforcing curfews downtown and its turned into a place for tourists and old folks. I'm not there yet. LOL
Ah, from that perspective I can sympathize.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT