ADVERTISEMENT

BobbyB1975

Sep 9, 2018
Ok so this is the year the wheels started to fall of the Wagon and it probably was but a few things that stick out to me .

1. With any semblance of a defense that team wins 10 games . Other than TAMU every game was winnable . We beat a very good Todd Gurley lead UGA team that looked unbeatable at the time, and Florida in the Swamp . Yes this is on SOS , he botched the DC hire as badly as Champ botched his 4 OC hires.
2. We had 3 games with double digit leads with less than 10 minutes to go and we blew all three .
3. That offense was one of the best statistical offenses in USC history . The Auburn game (which we lost) might have been one of his best coaching jobs ever in a single game.
4. Quarles , Hampton , and Ellington leaving prematurely was monumental. Dylan would have had Bruce , Pharoh , and a Shaq Roland (that had not flaked out yet) . The defense would have at least been respectable with two potential all SEC guys in tow . Ellington has had a decent career , Quarles and Hampton never took a meaningful NFL snap .
5. If Spurrier leaves after the bowl win against Miami this is still a very high profile job . Smart coaches will look at the Tape and see this team was a few plays away from being a top ten team . It’s common knowledge Spurrier wanted to walk away and Ray begged him to give it one last Hail Mary . Steve knew Connor Mitch was probably a bust but he thought he could coach him up and Sprinkle a little fairy dust on the 2015 team because he’s Steve Freaking Spurrier and the fairy dust ran out . Ray should have ripped off the Bandaide and let him walk , but he didn’t . And those of you who think SOS stayed on for a paycheck need to have your heads examined .

No real point . Just a few things that might have gone unnoticed. If there was a failure it was Ray not Biting the bullet and let his moneymaker walk away .

Sorry, I didn’t read that correctly. By the way, I agree with you 100%. I think Ray’s newness to the AD position resulted in a wrong decision.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I think Spurrier not calling it quits after the bowl game and basically dragging dead weight for half the next season was a big factor in the longer decline and mediocrity that still is. Could've had a fresh face (possibly higher profile name) in there right out the gate going into the season. The way Spurrier did it just made everything look bad and seem to instantly change the culture and swag in the whole program.

Reactions: TRUEGARNET
Ok so this is the year the wheels started to fall of the Wagon and it probably was but a few things that stick out to me .

1. With any semblance of a defense that team wins 10 games . Other than TAMU every game was winnable . We beat a very good Todd Gurley lead UGA team that looked unbeatable at the time, and Florida in the Swamp . Yes this is on SOS , he botched the DC hire as badly as Champ botched his 4 OC hires.
2. We had 3 games with double digit leads with less than 10 minutes to go and we blew all three .
3. That offense was one of the best statistical offenses in USC history . The Auburn game (which we lost) might have been one of his best coaching jobs ever in a single game.
4. Quarles , Hampton , and Ellington leaving prematurely was monumental. Dylan would have had Bruce , Pharoh , and a Shaq Roland (that had not flaked out yet) . The defense would have at least been respectable with two potential all SEC guys in tow . Ellington has had a decent career , Quarles and Hampton never took a meaningful NFL snap .
5. If Spurrier leaves after the bowl win against Miami this is still a very high profile job . Smart coaches will look at the Tape and see this team was a few plays away from being a top ten team . It’s common knowledge Spurrier wanted to walk away and Ray begged him to give it one last Hail Mary . Steve knew Connor Mitch was probably a bust but he thought he could coach him up and Sprinkle a little fairy dust on the 2015 team because he’s Steve Freaking Spurrier and the fairy dust ran out . Ray should have ripped off the Bandaide and let him walk , but he didn’t . And those of you who think SOS stayed on for a paycheck need to have your heads examined .

No real point . Just a few things that might have gone unnoticed. If there was a failure it was Ray not Biting the bullet and let his moneymaker walk away .
Jerri convinced him to stay, not Tanner.

I think Spurrier not calling it quits after the bowl game and basically dragging dead weight for half the next season was a big factor in the longer decline and mediocrity that still is. Could've had a fresh face (possibly higher profile name) in there right out the gate going into the season. The way Spurrier did it just made everything look bad and seem to instantly change the culture and swag in the whole program.

Not only that...committed recruits jumped ship. Mark Fields (Clemson), Arden Keys (LSU) and others. SOS stated he’d coach another two years. Now some on here want to act like they want him back. It ended badly, guys. REAL freaking bad!

Not only that...committed recruits jumped ship. Mark Fields (Clemson), Arden Keys (LSU) and others. SOS stated he’d coach another two years. Now some on here want to act like they want him back. It ended badly, guys. REAL freaking bad!
Wait until you see how this current train wreck ends......

Uh, check that great memory...Spurrier did the slow wave - walk away.

He did , but he always said that would be how it would go down . He never wanted to be Bowden or Paterno . Guys lets just be real . Spurrier could have stayed here until he was 80 and gone 7-5 or worse every year and Tanner wouldn’t have had the balls to fire him . Did he quit ?? Yes absolutely . He knew he didn’t have it anymore . I really think in his mind he thought Elliott could put a charge in the team and Ray would knock the hire out of the park . Didn’t happen ... even though Elliott was a Hell of a lot more competitive against Dabo than Champ has been .

Reactions: Carolina86
Also in hindsight let’s say Spurrier doesn’t quit and coaches out the season and gets DEMOLISHED every game , including Citadel and Clemson . Now the narrative is not USC struggling with an Interim coach , the narrative is , Steve Spurrier , one of the greatest ever can’t win 4 games at USC this year . It makes us feel warm and fuzzy that he didn’t quit on his team but would it really have made a difference . Saban quit on LSU and Miami in a three year period . Don’t hear anything about it now .

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Florida in the Swamp

And why did we beat Florida, oh yea we blocked 2 punts and who was their special team coach? Oh yea Coleman Hutzler, and where does he coach special teams now? Oh yea, South Carolina.

Sorry this is my point of the day

YmlmWiC.gif

And why did we beat Florida, oh yea we blocked 2 punts and who was their special team coach? Oh yea Coleman Hutzler, and where does he coach special teams now? Oh yea, South Carolina.

YmlmWiC.gif

Never said we looked good beating Florida . If I remember correctly Randy Shannon was the coach the week after this and Champ was updating his DC Resume .

YmlmWiC.gif

Yeap and Champ’s office was cleaned out the next week . They beat us up and down the field on defense and still lost because they couldn’t score . Hmmm.

Sorry, I didn’t read that correctly. By the way, I agree with you 100%. I think Ray’s newness to the AD position resulted in a wrong decision.
It resulted in not enough professional leverage to exploit the fact that Spurrier had been here and a undistinguished coaching acquisition after a maladroit search. But Spurrier did us no favors in coming back for 2015.

Never said we looked good beating Florida . If I remember correctly Randy Shannon was the coach the week after this and Champ was updating his DC Resume

I wasnt knocking your post by any means, I was just knocking Hutzler

If you're gonna go back and play the what if game why not have Spurrier walk away after 2013?

It resulted in not enough professional leverage to exploit the fact that Spurrier had been here and a undistinguished coaching acquisition after a maladroit search. But Spurrier did us no favors in coming back for 2015.
And regarding that "maladroit" search, who are you going to get? Not including those that have already been established weren't going to come here for one reason or another.

And regarding that "maladroit" search, who are you going to get? Not including those that have already been established weren't going to come here for one reason or another.
He did the best HE could do. That's the point. But you asked about "me". I don't talk Spurrier out of leaving after 2014. And then the entire dynamics of the search change - with more and different candidates in play. Ray did that.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
He did the best HE could do. That's the point. But you asked about "me". I don't talk Spurrier out of leaving after 2014. And then the entire dynamics of the search change - with more and different candidates in play. Ray did that.
I don't believe Tanner convinced him to stay. Jerri did....at least from what I've heard from someone who would know.

Also in hindsight let’s say Spurrier doesn’t quit and coaches out the season and gets DEMOLISHED every game , including Citadel and Clemson . Now the narrative is not USC struggling with an Interim coach , the narrative is , Steve Spurrier , one of the greatest ever can’t win 4 games at USC this year . It makes us feel warm and fuzzy that he didn’t quit on his team but would it really have made a difference . Saban quit on LSU and Miami in a three year period . Don’t hear anything about it now .

What’s funny about this is everyone focuses on the one point loss to the Citadel, but Carolina had close games/opportunities to win at TAMU, at Tennessee, Florida and Clemson. With a better coach and proper game planning and smart play calling some of those games could have been wins. I don’t begrudge Spurrier walking away when he was ready, but I don’t think that team was a as terrible as their record or the loss to the Citadel would indicate.

You should be used to it by now ... we've only read this same crap about 3 times a day for the past 3 years. "Let's blame Spurrier, let's blame Whammy, let's blame Tanner, let's blame Tammy"... catchy tune though!.

I’m not blaming Spurrier at all . Whammy and Tanner ... yeah I can blame them , but since Spurrier hired Whammy it’s kinda on him . My main point is everybody seemed to think the bottom fell out in 2014 but it didn’t . Ask yourself this ... If our 2014 Team with Thompson , Pharoh , Mike Davis , Wilds played our current squad would it even be close . That offense would score 50 on our current defense and as bad as our 2014 defense was (and it was awful) , I don’t see Jake and company breaking 20 .

Reactions: Carolina86
What’s funny about this is everyone focuses on the one point loss to the Citadel, but Carolina had close games/opportunities to win at TAMU, at Tennessee, Florida and Clemson. With a better coach and proper game planning and smart play calling some of those games could have been wins. I don’t begrudge Spurrier walking away when he was ready, but I don’t think that team was a as terrible as their record or the loss to the Citadel would indicate.

Agree . The LSU game in Baton Rouge was close also until Fournette got rolling the the 2nd half .

You should be used to it by now ... we've only read this same crap about 3 times a day for the past 3 years. "Let's blame Spurrier, let's blame Whammy, let's blame Tanner, let's blame Tammy"... catchy tune though!.
Who's Tammy? I don't have an issue blaming her though.

I’m going “ yeah, yeah good point, yeah, that’s right” and can’t wait for the bottom line, then you end by saying you don’t have a point. Depressing

My favorite part of the Spurrier hate is ... “He was just milking those last year to get a paycheck .” Seriously .. SOS spends more money on Range Balls and Pitching Wedges a year than most of us make .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT