ADVERTISEMENT

2017 was a really odd football season

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Going into the year, few gave SC very much chance of even having a winning season. Also, I think the impact of injuries on an already young team has been under stated. Very needed offensive skill guys went down to injury along with a rash of injuries along the offensive line. Fans always gripe that injuries are a part of the game which of course they are but this team never had enough depth and experience to overcome that.

Still, we finish 8-4 and are playing Michigan on New Years Day in the Outback Bowl with an opportunity for a 9 win season....something that has rarely happened in Columbia.

Yet, it still seems that much of the fanbase is disappointed or just not that excited. I don't get it. I know part of it is the last game vs CU and the fact that they are ranked #1 but that aside, seems like a much better than average year for Carolina and lots of good signs for the future. With turmoil at Tennessee and Florida, teh door is open for the Cocks to have a good run for the next few years.

I guess we will see but really hope Gamecock Nation shows up in Tampa to support this team.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT MICHIGAN!!!

Most are dissapointed because so much talent was on offense and they underperformed and were a liability to our defense which played above their talent. We have one, maybe two quality wins out of the 8 but loss to two teams we should have beat and there’s no signature win. Our loss to UGA is still probably our best game of the year but even turnovers couldn’t save us and the loss to clemson was so bad that’s the distance between our team now and our team we want that can compete are miles apart..

But we’re gaining the tools and cutting the fat, “just wait til next year”

Reactions: memphis cock#
This season was better than expected but it was not because we played that great. It was because the competition was a full blown shi+ show. It reminds me of a few years back when we called the upstate team "paper tigers". We need to beat Meechagan

Reactions: colatiger
This season was very successful. Two clouds that are hindering that view are 1> another L to UPC, and 2> the fact that they're having great, sustained success.

Reactions: docg1
it was a great year, but when your two biggest rivals are both in the playoff, it kinda puts a damper on things.

If we are all honest with ourselves, the Clemson situation is what is driving much of the “disappointment”. That is sad. The fact we could have 9 wins and have a New Year’s Day Bowl is a gigantic accomplishment. Too bad we can’t be happy because of what clemson has accomplished. We will get there, in Champ we trust.

A win over Michigan will help the "disappointed" feel way better about the state of our program I would think. If you had asked me after SOS left if I would be happy the next season with 6 wins and a bowl, followed by 8 wins & the Outback Bowl vs Michigan, I would have told you hell yes. We are getting exactly what we needed- good coaching, good recruiting, a coach that cares, much higher morale, and wins. I see improvement in most every area of the program, and I see it continuing. Let Champ do his thing, and a lot of things that have "disappointed" some will take care of themselves.

Does anyone know when SC will update William Brice football stadium. Clemson fan, spoke so negative about our bathrooms, concession stands etc?

Right or wrong I sort of went into the Clemson game thinking it was a barometer to see much we’d actually improved. Didn’t go so well
This. I don't think it was unacceptable to expect us to score a touchdown before halftime. The fact that we got shutout once again until they put in their 3rd and 4th team told me we hadn't improved as much as we thought. Now, Jake didn't get beat around and almost killed like last year, which told me the line had improved and we were able to run the ball somewhat. The penalties and mental mistakes drove me nuts too, and they weren't being made by young players!

Had the Clemson game been a little closer, most fans would be overjoyed with the season we are having. Losing to Clemson like we did stinks.

Hope we end with 9 wins! That would make it a very happy new year!

This. I don't think it was unacceptable to expect us to score a touchdown before halftime. The fact that we got shutout once again until they put in their 3rd and 4th team told me we hadn't improved as much as we thought. Now, Jake didn't get beat around and almost killed like last year, which told me the line had improved and we were able to run the ball somewhat. The penalties and mental mistakes drove me nuts too, and they weren't being made by young players!

How about the fact that our offense didn’t cross mid field until garbage time in the fourth quarter yet some on here want to defend our former offensive coordinator

Going into the year, few gave SC very much chance of even having a winning season. Also, I think the impact of injuries on an already young team has been under stated. Very needed offensive skill guys went down to injury along with a rash of injuries along the offensive line. Fans always gripe that injuries are a part of the game which of course they are but this team never had enough depth and experience to overcome that.

Still, we finish 8-4 and are playing Michigan on New Years Day in the Outback Bowl with an opportunity for a 9 win season....something that has rarely happened in Columbia.

Yet, it still seems that much of the fanbase is disappointed or just not that excited. I don't get it. I know part of it is the last game vs CU and the fact that they are ranked #1 but that aside, seems like a much better than average year for Carolina and lots of good signs for the future. With turmoil at Tennessee and Florida, teh door is open for the Cocks to have a good run for the next few years.

I guess we will see but really hope Gamecock Nation shows up in Tampa to support this team.

Each year and each team stands on its own merit as dynamics of players and coaches change from year to year. I don't recommend just looking at the final 8-4 regular season. Look and research deeper.
For example, 8-4 in year 2000/2001 is much different (better) than 8-4 in 2017. But the records are the same going to the Outback bowl.

History is great for looking at stats... lets go and make new history instead of looking back. Go Gamecocks

Last edited:

also add getting beat by Kentyucky 4 years in a row is a gut check and I still need some tums after that! :-(

For me it’s like Rod said, we don’t pass the eyeball test. The 8-4 is deceiving considering the schedule (yeah, you play the games they give you), and I think many still haven’t gotten ever everything that has transpired since Wisconsin on 1/1/14, and Boom? I think many are still scratching their heads over that. Jmo, may all be wrong. I will say, 9-4, with a win over CFB’s all time winningest program should look real good on paper for recruiting and hopefully gets us where we want to be

For me it’s like Rod said, we don’t pass the eyeball test. The 8-4 is deceiving considering the schedule (yeah, you play the games they give you), and I think many still haven’t gotten ever everything that has transpired since Wisconsin on 1/1/14, and Boom? I think many are still scratching their heads over that. Jmo, may all be wrong. I will say, 9-4, with a win over CFB’s all time winningest program should look real good on paper for recruiting and hopefully gets us where we want to be

I can't disagree about the eyeball test comment and where we *really* are.

HOWEVER, when this season is over, our record for 2017 will be 8-5 or 9-4. That goes down in the books, and has no comments section. On the face, it's progress. We can now look to the 2018 season with hopes of improving that eyeball test area (ugh, I know what that says - "wait 'till next year").
Me - I'm taking things at face value, rooting for a bowl win and looking forward to 2018. Go Cocks!!

Early season Missouri is as bad as anyone in the sec. Arkansas, Ut, UF, and A&m were god awful and now have new coaches. We lost to UK for the 4th year in a row, 90-17 and absolutely being embarrassed again by Klempson....8-4 with this 2017 schedule is not the same as 2011. This would be a 6 win team if the sec east had a pulse. For now, 8-4 is fools gold. It can get better. Our half ass effort against klempson better change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT