ADVERTISEMENT

2018 .... Can we all Agree

FWB4294

Oct 21, 2012
1. If Champ wins 9 or 10 games this year all of us that cried when he was hired (Myself included) are wrong and ray knows way more than we do . Champ has done a phenomenal job to this point given the cards he was dealt and expectation should be high
2. If Bentley struggles all of the .. Jake should still be in High School BS won’t fly . Besides Drew Locke he is the most experience QB in the conference and the excuses are over . He either can play or he can’t . Put up or Shut up
3. If this team flounders and goes 6-6 or worse , the blame Spurrier excuse is over . This is Champs team with Champs players and this is the easiest SEC schedule we have ever played . If we flop it’s all on Champ .
4. If the offense finishes in the bottom half of the SEC again , Then the problem is not the talent or the Coordinator . If 4 OC’s can’t get it done in your system then we know what the problem is .
5. Not expecting to beat UGA or Clemson but we should be able to compete and hang in both games . If we get squashed in Death Valley again this year then no matter what our record is .. people are not gonna be happy . The talent gap is still a mile wide but we can all agree that we should be able to at least hang in with both teams
6 Beating Kentucky is a Nonnegotiable this year . I would rather slam my fingers in a sliding glass door over and over again for an hour over watching us lose to Kentucky again .

Agree or Disagree .

I think those are all pretty safe statements most can agree with. I feel like Muschamp has overall been a pretty solid game day coach which I've been pleased with. I know we struggled still offensively last year at times but I think he's opened up more than he was at UF and the hires he's made I think show he's still trending that direction to remain that way.

Side note: I wonder how many times the Bentley QB/Bentley Coach connection will continue to be harped upon by the announcers. Like, we all get it...it's his dad.

I'm in agreement with most of what you said. And yes, I absolutely cannot fathom losing to Kensucky again. That would pretty much kill the season for me. We MUST beat UK! Less than 9 wins will be a disappointment to this Gamecock fan.

1. If Champ wins 9 or 10 games this year all of us that cried when he was hired (Myself included) are wrong and ray knows way more than we do . Champ has done a phenomenal job to this point given the cards he was dealt and expectation should be high
2. If Bentley struggles all of the .. Jake should still be in High School BS won’t fly . Besides Drew Locke he is the most experience QB in the conference and the excuses are over . He either can play or he can’t . Put up or Shut up
3. If this team flounders and goes 6-6 or worse , the blame Spurrier excuse is over . This is Champs team with Champs players and this is the easiest SEC schedule we have ever played . If we flop it’s all on Champ .
4. If the offense finishes in the bottom half of the SEC again , Then the problem is not the talent or the Coordinator . If 4 OC’s can’t get it done in your system then we know what the problem is .
5. Not expecting to beat UGA or Clemson but we should be able to compete and hang in both games . If we get squashed in Death Valley again this year then no matter what our record is .. people are not gonna be happy . The talent gap is still a mile wide but we can all agree that we should be able to at least hang in with both teams
6 Beating Kentucky is a Nonnegotiable this year . I would rather slam my fingers in a sliding glass door over and over again for an hour over watching us lose to Kentucky again .

Agree or Disagree .
Can you expound on #4? Not OC or talent so ....?

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
This is a big year for Muschamp. UF fans thought they had a home run hire after year two of their Muschamp era. While I don’t believe he needs to exceed expectations this season, we do need to have a solid year. Seems like media watches Muschamp ready to pounce on him for some reason. He hasn’t given much reason at SC. The longer we trend in the right direction the better.

We were 6-1 in close games last year. Hard to maintain that trend but hoping we just learned to win again. We lost a lot of close ones the 3 years previous.

I truly believe had Mclendon been calling plays in the Clemson game last year it would have been a much closer game. Michigan was every bit as good as Clemson on defense, statistically they were better, and we finally managed to move the ball on them in the second half. Roper would have gotten us beat in that game, no doubt.

I already see improvement in Jake's pocket presence and awareness during the Spring game. I know he wasn't under total live fire but he seemed to stay planted in the pocket and go through his progressions better, his accuracy seemed better too.

Reactions: Carolina4
Agree mostly....stipulations....we cannot tolerate a bunch of injuries and last year was about as good as we could have hoped for given our talent.

Also, as frustrating to watch as our offense was last year, there were numerous good play calls that were not executed by Jake. He has to hit those big plays when they are available. My hope is that the "excitable" Bentley will be replaced by the "collected" Bentley.

I still am not sold on the O-line and D-line. If we cannot run the ball, we will not be able to pass protect, and I am afraid Jake will still have happy feet. And until we have 8 SEC caliber defensive linemen, we are going to continue to play the bend don't break defense we have seen for the past 2 years.

The fact that we are already calling this "Muschamp's team" is really not a compliment for him, but proof of the bare cupboard he inherited. Personally, I still believe that year 5 is the year that excuses are tossed out. To hold a coach's feet to the fire in year 3 just because his freshmen and sophomores are starters is not exactly fair. However, if he succeeds and wins 8-9 games, you have to tip your cap.

In summary, if #1 happens, the rest will take care of itself....IMHO.

Agree or Disagree .

Written like a man who has never slammed his fingers in a sliding glass door. :)

Hyperbole aside, I am in agreement about Kentucky. It's a must win. It won't be easy though, in Lexington. Our SEC East Championship team lost to UK in Lexington the week after beating Alabama, as I recall.

Also agree with the above poster... if #1 comes to pass, items 2-6 take care of themselves.

Can you expound on #4? Not OC or talent so ....?

It’s on the Head Coach . Charlie Weiss , Brent Peace , Kurt Roper , now McClendon . Weiss and Peace were thought to be offensive geniuses at points in their career and none of them produced under Muschamp . Certainly other variables were involved : terrible QB play , injuries at key positions etc etc . However at some point it is what he is . He said it himself at his initial press conference when asked what did him in at UF . “Gotta score more points” were his exact words . First two years here are not really on him because he had nothing . However this year the excuses are done . Experienced QB , second OC in Three years , Good skill players .. this is the year he can get the monkey off his back if his offense can get it done . If not... the questions about Champ and poor offensive production are gonna keep coming .

Reactions: Legendary Cock

Agree or Disagree .
I ignored everything and went straight to what was said for Kentucky.

I agree, can't use the Blame Spurrier card anymore.
And I may be in the minority but I don't think Bentley is more than an average QB at best. We shall see.

I agree, can't use the Blame Spurrier card anymore.
And I may be in the minority but I don't think Bentley is more than an average QB at best. We shall see.

Bentley didn’t have a great sophomore season but that’s a common thing in college football. Most didn’t feel this way after his Freshman season. I agree he was frustrating at times last year but I still remember how much better we were with him in there 2 years ago. I do think Werner will help him out a lot and I hope Jake grew up some against a good Michigan defense in that bowl game. You could tell he’s played with a ton of pressure on him, Especially with his dad on staff. That emotion he showed doesn’t happen that often and hopefully he knows he can win bigger games now.

No doubt he’s looked bad against Clemson. But he hasn’t never been out in great position to do much in those games either. Our play calling was awful in those games.

Reactions: futuresnow
O-Line improvement is a must, but I'm just still not sold on him. The schedule sets up as good as it can get though. Like I said, we'll see.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I would like us to beat teams we should beat. Last year we almost lost to Louisiana Tech, blew it at A&M and now UK is looking down us. I know we feel we are improving but I am sure they feel the same way about there teams. A UK loss is very likely in Lexington.

Last year we didn’t really have a statement win. I’d love to have 9-10 wins and pull an upset or at least beat everyone we should beat...or for the very least not watch our offense go 3 and out over and over. Our offense was just hard to watch last year.

I agree for the most part but the one caveat is an injury to Bentley throws out all expectations.

We have no proven depth at QB behind Jake and I can't put the blame squarely on Muschamp for that. In a year or two, depth is on Champ, but 3 years in we are still rebounding from the last two of Spurrier Jr's recruiting classes. We have overcome injuries in the last two years that I would have expected to decimate us preaseason, but I don't know that we have a game ready backup that can lead us to nine wins.

I pray Jake stays healthy and if not, I hope I am wrong.

Last year we didn’t really have a statement win. I’d love to have 9-10 wins and pull an upset or at least beat everyone we should beat...or for the very least not watch our offense go 3 and out over and over. Our offense was just hard to watch last year.

Consider statement win = Michigan, NCST ? Loved the Rkansas defensive performance.

Agree on all counts, except I would say for #1 "it depends." 9 wins? It depends on how we got those 9 wins, against whom, and how we looked in the other 3 games. For example, I agree with your #5 statement. Clearly, the results of #5 could impact my answer to #1.

I'm not sure, I'm considering watching the OP slam his fingers in a sliding glass door, over and over, for an hour.[/QUOTE

Yeah that was kinda the most painful thing I could think of .... other than listening to a Florida Georgia line album on repeat for an hour . Choosing between those two options , I’ll take the glass door

If you're going to predict 6 wins why not go ahead and predict 3 or 4 wins and be honest they would both be underachieving. I expect to beat Jawga and Clemson and I'm being straight up. Anybody should see this team is better but some can't deal with that fact that they are. Ten wins at least!

2017 was reasonably productive considering we played a lot of football without deebo and rico

hopefully, they'll be healthy and productive this year

Not negative, just realistic and stating facts as of the moment. Until I see results on the field I will remain skeptical.

Realistic? So, from a “realistic” viewpoint, everything in our athletic dept is negative? I’m almost positive...I’ve told you “realists”, to shove your realism, up your AZZ. Am I right?

Realistic? So, from a “realistic” viewpoint, everything in our athletic dept is negative? I’m almost positive...I’ve told you “realists”, to shove your realism, up your AZZ. Am I right?

Realist is the "go to" excuse for some's constant complaining, negativity and overall unhappiness. I'm just happy I don't live such a miserable life.

Who said everything in our athletic dept was negative? Not me. I simply said until he "shows me on the field" I am skeptical of Bentley being a good QB. It's not a hard thing to comprehend.

Realist is the "go to" excuse for some's constant complaining, negativity and overall unhappiness. I'm just happy I don't live such a miserable life.
I live a fantastic life. Win, lose, or draw. My happiness doesn't depend on the success of 18, 19. And 20 year old boys. I'm extremely happy I don't live a life filled with pipe dreams and unrealistic hope's. Fantasy land is not a future. If you accept and live in reality, you can be extremely happy and content. The opposite will just leave you hurt and distraught.

I agree with most of this had it been posted in year 5 or 6

It’s only been 3 years. This is not quite all on Muschamp at this point. Give the man time to build the foundation

Who said everything in our athletic dept was negative? Not me. I simply said until he "shows me on the field" I am skeptical of Bentley being a good QB. It's not a hard thing to comprehen

All of your posts are negative. You should post your negative BS on T-Nut. They would probably enjoy it.

All of your posts are negative. You should post your negative BS on T-Nut. They would probably enjoy it.
You don't have to read any of my posts. Sorry that I am a realist and you aren't so you get bent over anything that isn't pure sunshine pumping.

Michigan was 8-5 last year and NC State was 9-4 in the ACC...I wouldn’t call those statement wins. Ones we could have lost but won for sure.
just FYI, NC state would have been 10-3.... which they would have been Undefeated heading into South bend, So who knows. I still think they were one fo the better teams (that isnt saying much I know) in the ACC.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT