ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

Most competitive game I have seen so far in this tournament. Amihere came in and immediately made a difference and shifted the momentum towards Canada. She's really outplayed Cardoso so far and outside of getting outmuscled by the older and more stocky DeSouza she's been pretty flawless. Still can't find that 3 point shot but that midrange shot was beautiful.

As for Cardoso she looks to be a step behind so far and forcing some shots, wondering if the 3rd day of play in a row is playing a part. I think adding some real solid post moves against players more her height like Amihere or Boston could make her near impossible to handle, hopefully she plays a better 2nd half.

Most competitive game I have seen so far in this tournament. Amihere came in and immediately made a difference and shifted the momentum towards Canada. She's really outplayed Cardoso so far and outside of getting outmuscled by the older and more stocky DeSouza she's been pretty flawless. Still can't find that 3 point shot but that midrange shot was beautiful.

As for Cardoso she looks to be a step behind so far and forcing some shots, wondering if the 3rd day of play in a row is playing a part. I think adding some real solid post moves against players more her height like Amihere or Boston could make her near impossible to handle, hopefully she plays a better 2nd half.
We are so excited about Cardoso(and deservedly so) that we have not noticed where she needs to develop. As an example Boston can defend the pick and roll game away from the basket, she has enough foot speed, BALANCE and smarts. Not sure Cardoso is there yet.
Cardoso is so physically overwhelming for college. Can she become Brittney Griner or just Tieara McCown.

We are so excited about Cardoso(and deservedly so) that we have not noticed where she needs to develop. As an example Boston can defend the pick and roll game away from the basket, she has enough foot speed, BALANCE and smarts. Not sure Cardoso is there yet.
Cardoso is so physically overwhelming for college. Can she become Brittney Griner or just Tieara McCown.
Yeah that's why I'm not buying the argument that she's going to start here from day one like some suggest. She has a huge upside but definitely needs to develop in some areas. I don't think she's as raw as a McCowan but not a Griner yet either. She can be a really special player with the right guidance.

Yeah that's why I'm not buying the argument that she's going to start here from day one like some suggest. She has a huge upside but definitely needs to develop in some areas. I don't think she's as raw as a McCowan but not a Griner yet either. She can be a really special player with the right guidance.
I go back to my original request after the Stanford game: a true center who can play 15 minutes a game and hold her own on the boards. That's all we'll need out of Cardoso this coming season considering all the front court depth we'll have. Anything more is icing on the cake, imo.

She won ACC Freshman of year, why wouldn't she start? She is a true center she doesn't have a jump shot game like Boston does,

I go back to my original request after the Stanford game: a true center who can play 15 minutes a game and hold her own on the boards. That's all we'll need out of Cardoso this coming season considering all the front court depth we'll have. Anything more is icing on the cake, imo.
Cardoso is that and more. I am just trying to have a level head about her.
Her size and strength are over whelming. She rebounds both ends and a wonderful low post defender.
Her low post offense is effective but not varied, mid range game still in formation, she turns the ball over too much and is not a particularly good passer out of the double team. All my criticism doesn’t change the fact that she is one of the 5 best centers in WBB

Reactions: DarkCock
She won ACC Freshman of year, why wouldn't she start? She is a true center she doesn't have a jump shot game like Boston does,

Ok she won ACC freshman of the year and ACC defensive player of the year. She had a great freshman year!!

Boston as a Fr was SEC AND National freshman of the year, SEC defensive player of the year, all SEC 1st team, 2nd team all American, won the Lisa Leslie award as best center in the country.

As a soph She repeated as 1st team all SEC, defensive POY, Lisa Leslie award winner and was 1st team all American

She has significantly better reb. Stats, has a huge advantage in assists to turnover ratio, decidedly better free throw shooter and has an outside game

Tell me again how Cardoso should start over Boston at center

Reactions: Crutcher1
We have Aaliyah Boston, that's why, she a more complete center at this point time and the best in the country. Cardoso is a good supplement for when Boston is resting, but I wouldn't start her over Boston. This upcoming season will give her a lot experience to adapt to our style of play and grow her game without all the pressure of needing to be the go to player for a national title contender.

We have Aaliyah Boston, that's why, she a more complete center at this point time and the best in the country. Cardoso is a good supplement for when Boston is resting, but I wouldn't start her over Boston. This upcoming season will give her a lot experience to adapt to our style of play and grow her game without all the pressure of needing to be the go to player for a national title contender.
Boston is a Power Forward, she was as a recruit but we had no true centers on the roster so she had to play out of position that last two seasons.

Boston is a Power Forward, she was as a recruit but we had no true centers on the roster so she had to play out of position that last two seasons.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😀
I’ll tell Boston to promptly return those bookend Lisa Leslie awards as national center of the year.

Tell the police to issue an arrest warrant for Aliyah Boston on the charge of falsely impersonating a WBB College Center.

From Hoopgurlz, their report on Boston as a HS Sr. Clearly she was NOT regarded as a PF but a C coming out of HS

USA Trials-May 2018: Physical low-post prospect delivers through contact; workhorse on glass, delivers consistent results on the block; outlets and initiates the fast break, mobile in transition; defensive stopper and the elite post prospect in the class of 2019. _

Last edited:
Not sure what’s up with Amihere and Canada. She had a very productive 1st half in a tough game against Brazil. Barely saw the court in the 2nd half or in the 1st half against a weak El Salvadoran team

Not sure what’s up with Amihere and Canada. She had a very productive 1st half in a tough game against Brazil. Barely saw the court in the 2nd half or in the 1st half against a weak El Salvadoran team
Possibly managing minutes I assume. The few minutes she was in so far in the half, she was effective in drawing attention to herself to set her teammates for a good looks to the basket.

She won't start over Saxton and Amihere playing defense like she did against Canada. But I have no doubt she'll get there eventually. Have a little patience.

Finished with 8 points, 9 rebounds and 3 assists (only 1 turnover) in 15 minutes of play.

Amihere is taking advantage of this opportunity. She's really trying to earn one of those Olympic spots.

Boston with 11 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in the 1st quarter. Does she look slimmer to anyone else? Or just me?

Reactions: Gamekem
Boston with 11 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in the 1st quarter. Does she look slimmer to anyone else? Or just me?

I have seats on the fourth row at the CLA and you could tell she was markedly thinner this past season. She has really been putting in the work.
I can’t really tell from this particular telecast but it wouldn’t surprise me

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this, I'm not sure if it's just the uniform cut but she looks noticeably more toned than what I remember.
Yeah, I've had troubling picking her out at times. Of course her hair coloring has been more subdued, which might play a factor. I wonder if she deliberately toned down the hair to blend in more since this is a national team. I heard she was a/the captain (not sure if there is more than one) of the team. That's impressive considering she'll still a teenager. One of the younger players on the team.

Cardoso had a nice bounce back game today, she had 17 points, 11 rebounds, 2 ast, 2stl and 2 blks.

The one thing she definitely does better than Boston is run the floor. Imagine battling Boston underneath for a quarter and then having keep up with a fresh Cardoso in the next quarter.

Reactions: Gamekem
Yeah, I've had troubling picking her out at times. Of course her hair coloring has been more subdued, which might play a factor. I wonder if she deliberately toned down the hair to blend in more since this is a national team. I heard she was a/the captain (not sure if there is more than one) of the team. That's impressive considering she'll still a teenager. One of the younger players on the team.
Honestly I believe the hair change was just the result of her going back home and getting it touched up. But yeah I'm not surprised that she is a captain, I believe she was a captain for our team this past season as well. She's played with many of these players before, has a lot of experience playing for the junior national teams and always plays like a 2nd coach on the floor anyway. I think we take for granted how much she does and how rare it is to have a post player that can run an offense as well as she does.

As for the Cardoso bit I totally agree, that's why I believe she's the perfect supplement for Boston. She has a great motor and could be great for someone like Henderson on these fast breaks.

Looks like there will be no game today for USA due to Argentina's Covid issues. The only Gamecock in action today will be Amihere with team Canada.

Looks like there will be no game today for USA due to Argentina's Covid issues. The only Gamecock in action today will be Amihere with team Canada.
We forget how fortunate we are to have access to the vaccine that the vast majority of people in the world do not have. And yet..... sad lament and political wandering around in my head..... gone now..... back to BB.
Amihere has looked terrific

Amihere with 10 points, 6 rebounds, 1 ast,1stl and 2 blocks and 2 turnovers in 18 minutes. Not her best shooting night but she hit a nice nothing but net 3 pointer.

Reactions: winloseortie
“Additional tests were performed yesterday and more members of the (Argentina) delegation were tested positive, and with the health and safety of players, coaches and officials being the primary consideration, the decision was made not to play Argentina games vs Venezuela and USA.”

Will take your word on running the floor.
Thoughts on outlet passes to start the break, Boston is excellent at this phase of the game.
I haven't watched enough of Cardoso's games to comment on her passing. I've just noticed any highlight reel of her contains at least one shot of her scoring in transition. If the opposing team's bigs don't get back on defense, the smaller players have no chance of stopping her.

I haven't watched enough of Cardoso's games to comment on her passing. I've just noticed any highlight reel of her contains at least one shot of her scoring in transition. If the opposing team's bigs don't get back on defense, the smaller players have no chance of stopping her.
I listened to a podcast with Keisha Hunt, who coached Kamilla in HS. Here are some of the things she mentioned: strong point of Kamilla is her speed. She can keep up with the guards. Tends to kick the ball out instead of shooting when she’s under the basket. Very unselfish. She needs to work on mid- range shot and defense away from the basket. She tends to stand up too straight and often gets sucked in to fakes or she would have a lot more blocks.. She’s not comfortable even at the foul line area shooting. Teams notice and will crowd her. She and Raven have great chemistry.

I listened to a podcast with Keisha Hunt, who coached Kamilla in HS. Here are some of the things she mentioned: strong point of Kamilla is her speed. She can keep up with the guards. Tends to kick the ball out instead of shooting when she’s under the basket. Very unselfish. She needs to work on mid- range shot and defense away from the basket. She tends to stand up too straight and often gets sucked in to fakes or she would have a lot more blocks.. She’s not comfortable even at the foul line area shooting. Teams notice and will crowd her. She and Raven have great chemistry.
Thanks. Yeah, I posted that video from the game against Canada where she bit on the fake three times in one possession. I'm sure that will be a point of focus for our staff.

btw: Cardoso had 9 blocks against Notre Dame, Amihere had 9 against Texas and Boston had 10 against Georgia last year.

Thanks. Yeah, I posted that video from the game against Canada where she bit on the fake three times in one possession. I'm sure that will be a point of focus for our staff.

btw: Cardoso had 9 blocks against Notre Dame, Amihere had 9 against Texas and Boston had 10 against Georgia last year.
All these things her coach mentioned are correctable. She has tremendous upside and with Boston, Saxton and LA and the freshmen, she won't have to shoulder all the load. The clips that I have seen, I can definitely see both her and Boston on the court at the same time. Cardoso at the 5 and Boston at the 4. There are so many combinations of players that Dawn can utilize. I can't imagine having to scheme against this team.

She has a lot to learn about passing 16 assists and 42 turnovers. Almost a 1:3 ratio. Gotta learn to pass out of double team and rotate the ball better.

She has a lot to learn about passing 16 assists and 42 turnovers. Almost a 1:3 ratio. Gotta learn to pass out of double team and rotate the ball better.
Wouldn't surprise me if like with Amihere, the majority of those turnovers are from traveling on initiating drives to the basket, and on charges.....

From what I recall from this tournament and some of the Syracuse games I saw following her commitment Cardoso is a pretty decent passer. She can do the high/low game and has great outlet passes to the arc when in trouble, I agree with what was mentioned earlier that sometimes she's too unselfish when she has a good luck and still passes the ball anyway. I don't think her Assist to turnover ratio does justice to how good of a passer she is.

Reactions: USC GRAD 84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT