ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

I recall the last time UConn played at our cavernous CLA. They were like "deer in the headlights" and almost held scoreless for the first quarter. After a year of few fans next season we can expect a post covid screaming throng the likes of which many Husky players have never seen nor can comprehend. That should be a huge gamecock advantage.

I recall the last time UConn played at our cavernous CLA. They were like "deer in the headlights" and almost held scoreless for the first quarter. After a year of few fans next season we can expect a post covid screaming throng the likes of which many Husky players have never seen nor can comprehend. That should be a huge gamecock advantage.
It should be an unlosable game.:cool:

Looks like 4 of our players should be getting valuable experience playing in the international Americup tournament later this week. Most of the teams will consist of some college students and other non-WNBA professional players.

Amihere will be playing for team Canada, if she has good showing, I think she can make the Olympic team.

Cardoso the new transfer will be playing for team Brazil.

Henderson and Boston will be playing for USA under coach Dawn Staley.

Add in Feagin with U19.
Obvious benefit is players getting development in more top flite practice and competition during the offseason. But another benefit, is that these players are learning flexibility in schemes and playing in different combinations.

This will be of great help in the mix and match of all our talent. We should be a very bright and adaptable team. We now have a core of upperclass players who have seen just about everything. Talent, experience, and smarts.

Add in Feagin with U19.
Obvious benefit is players getting development in more top flite practice and competition during the offseason. But another benefit, is that these players are learning flexibility in schemes and playing in different combinations.

This will be of great help in the mix and match of all our talent. We should be a very bright and adaptable team. We now have a core of upperclass players who have seen just about everything. Talent, experience, and smarts.
It's also a great way to sell limited playing time during the season. Boston, Amihere, Cardoso and even Feagin would play 30+ minutes for most college teams. However, at Carolina, they can average 20 minutes and thus be able to play international ball during the off season without the fear of wearing down.

It's also a great way to sell limited playing time during the season. Boston, Amihere, Cardoso and even Feagin would play 30+ minutes for most college teams. However, at Carolina, they can average 20 minutes and thus be able to play international ball during the off season without the fear of wearing down.
Making a national team also forces almost all players to deal with the realization that there are players that are better than themselves. It strips(in a good way) selfish play and forces them to let others shine for the good of the team. If they can’t do this they either won’t make the team or play much

Reactions: DarkCock
Was looking over the roster

2021 USA Basketball Women's AmeriCup Team

Grace Berger, Indiana
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina
Jakia Brown-Turner, NC State
Veronica Burton, Northwestern
Elissa Cunane, NC State
Destanni Henderson, South Carolina
Naz Hillmon, Michigan
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Haley Jones, Stanford
Diamond Miller, Maryland
Ashley Owusu, Maryland
Sedona Prince, Oregon

Three true bigs in Boston, Cunane, and Prince

Four PGs: two tall Owusu and Berger, two small
Henny and Burton

No true 4 but 5 very tall wing scorer/slasher types

It appears that former Gamecock Shay Colley is also on the Canadian roster as well. It looks like there's only 3 WNBA players that are Canadians, who are likely to make the Olympic team. Only one of them is a true post, so Amihere has a real good shot of making the Olympic team, which is a possible medal contender.

Reactions: winloseortie

It appears that former Gamecock Shay Colley is also on the Canadian roster as well. It looks like there's only 3 WNBA players that are Canadians, who are likely to make the Olympic team. Only one of them is a true post, so Amihere has a real good shot of making the Olympic team, which is a possible medal contender.
If I remember correctly Amihere was on the roster and played in the Olympic qualifying tournament for Canada. It was two years ago and she missed several games including the UCONN game. She was at the CLA on the bench cheering but had arrived only hours before

If I remember correctly Amihere was on the roster and played in the Olympic qualifying tournament for Canada. It was two years ago and she missed several games including the UCONN game. She was at the CLA on the bench cheering but had arrived only hours before
Yeah she was the youngest player on that team but she didn't play much. Although she did play one really good game from what I recall. I'm really hoping she makes the Olympic team, I think she has the highest ceiling on our loaded roster and I believe playing against and with some pros could only help her realize her potential.

Yeah she was the youngest player on that team but she didn't play much. Although she did play one really good game from what I recall. I'm really hoping she makes the Olympic team, I think she has the highest ceiling on our loaded roster and I believe playing against and with some pros could only help her realize her potential.
I agree. If she puts it all together she is a dream stretch four. Can defend the interior and perimeter, runs the court, I could go on.
She needs more strength, discernment on when to go and when to not go, she also needs a signature low post move.

I agree. If she puts it all together she is a dream stretch four. Can defend the interior and perimeter, runs the court, I could go on.
She needs more strength, discernment on when to go and when to not go, she also needs a signature low post move.
Yeah her decision making definitely needs improvement. I want her to find her shooting touch like she had at the end of her freshman season too. Although it was a small sample size she went from 50% shooting from the 3 point line to 0% this past season.

Two things I want her to work on is a reliable shot from range and fixing her stutter step when dribbling to the rim. If she can stop traveling when attempting to drive to rim, then her turnovers numbers would drop a good bit and she's so fast that she could either get a great look to the basket or force the defense to foul her.

I think the addition of Cardoso should help with her low post offense. She now has to practice a against a taller and arguably equally as mobile player.

I'd like to see LA get stronger in her upper body and learn to keep the ball above her chest opposed to bringing it down to her waist. A consistent 5 to 10 foot jump shot would make her her unstoppable.

I think Amihere will benefit the most of any current player from the incoming additions. She can strictly play the power forward spot now. LA can locked down any opposing 4, big or small, we'll face (maybe not Haley Jones, but she's special). She was already a fierce rebounder, which should only improve since she'll be matched up exclusively against 4's. Offensively, she will have a size advantage on nearly every player who guards her. Obviously, she needs to make better decisions with the ball in her hand. Expect a lot of high/low action with her and the centers. Also, if she could develop a jumper from 10 to 15 feet out that would benefit her greatly.

In Canada, 2021 FIBA Women's AmeriCup games are available on DAZN, the live streaming sports service.

DAZN offers new customers a 30-day free-trial period. You can learn how to sign up for a free trial here.

DAZN is available on web browsers at DAZN.com, plus many popular streaming devices, including: iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets, Amazon Fire tablet, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, LG Smart TV, Panasonic Smart TV, Samsung Smart TV, Sony Smart TV, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X | S.Found this for streaming, it is from Canada. So who the heck knows?

Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva had a nice opening game for Brazil. They played a very over matched El Salvadoran team 118-43.
Kamilla had 16 pts and 12 rebounds in 18 minutes.
Beside learning her full name, also found out she was listed as 6’8”

Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva had a nice opening game for Brazil. They played a very over matched El Salvadoran team 118-43.
Kamilla had 16 pts and 12 rebounds in 18 minutes.
Beside learning her full name, also found out she was listed as 6’8
crazy that she has 4 years of eligibility left due to COVID, 6'5 Boston, and 6'8 cardoso will be a nightmare for opposing teams to deal with.

🤣 I get it, you think we should be undefeated national champs next year and anything less is unacceptable to you. I will never be able to convince you otherwise
All I ask is this, IF, I repeat IF we lose to UCONN or NCSU in regular season please don’t act indignant or surprised. You have had numerous folks tell you how good they are. In return I promise to not say, “See, I told you that they were a really good team that we needed to worry about.”
If we win both of those games, we can both be Happy
I see us as the fifth best team this year. UCONN and Stanford are much, much better.

I see us as the fifth best team this year. UCONN and Stanford are much, much better.
I’m not sure if you are serious or just trolling.

I appreciate that you see that there are a number of “super teams” for next season. So few on this board give enough merit to other programs.

I think it’s a given that 5 of the elite 8 are Gamecocks, UCONN, Stanford, NCSU, and Maryland unless there is a MAJOR upset. Before Mulkey moved I would have definitely included Badylor in this list. All six should win their conferences
I don’t think UCONN, Stanford and NCSU have our 13 player depth(if Grissett is healthy) but they have plenty of depth to not be overwhelmed by ours. All three can beat us if they have a good day and we don’t.

We play State and UCONN in season and will get a good peek.

I am intrigued about scheduling with all this talent. DS always schedules VERY tough. This is the year to schedule even harder.

We have 14 OOC games:

3 in the Atlantis tourney, good field we will get 2 P5 games and maybe a good 3rd game. Brackets to my knowledge have not been announced or least I couldn’t find even wit a diligent search

Taters not sure where
NCSU there
UCONN here

Big 12 challenge which should be here. Would love for it to be Baylor. Don’t think anybody else in Big 12 can give us a game

We may owe or be owed a game by Duke, SDAK, and Temple

That will leave us with at the least 4 and at the most 7 OOC games.

We have had series with maryland, OSU, Purdue, and UCLA in the past. We were also scheduled to open last season with Oregon pre COVID at a neutral site. Maybe Vic and UT would want a crack.

I don’t think we learn much from playing down this season except maybe to experiment with combos and give extended time to the bench

So.... who are the other two teams ahead of us?

USA up 24 at half
Boston stuffed the stat sheet
Team leading 8 pts and 5 rebounds
Also had 2 assists a steal and a block
Henny tied for second leading scorer

Reactions: Gamekem
United States win 102-39. The game was dominated with major games from the posts for USA: Aliyah Boston started it off with 10 pts on 4-7 shooting, with 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, and a 1steal. Elissa Cunane then stepped in and scored 12 pts on 5-8 shooting, with 8 boards, and tie for team lead 4 steals. Sedona Prince then showed what she could do with 12 pts on 5-6 shooting, with 4 rebounds and 1 block.

But then as all the trees were plundering and pillaging, the smallest player on the team - PG Destanni Henderson - said "hold my (non-alcoholic) beer", and scores 17 points on 5-8 shooting, including 5-6 from the 3-pt line. She also added a team-leading 5 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block....

The starting 5 for the States only scored 37 points for the game, with Boston the only starter in double figures. Prolific scorers and starters Rhyne Howard (4 pts on 1-8 shooting) and Diamond Miller (8 pts on 2-8 shooting) struggled to get their games going.

But the reserves stormed the floor offensively, with Henderson, Cunane, and Prince all leading the way. With the all-reserve unit on the floor for the 4th quarter, the United States scored the most points (35) of any period, 10 pts more than the 1st qtr output.........

PG Destanni Henderson - said "hold my (non-alcoholic) beer", and scores 17 points on 5-8 shooting, including 5-6 from the 3-pt line. She also added a team-leading 5 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block....

This - alright Henny handle ur business

Reactions: USC GRAD 84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT