ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

How do we squeeze the CT game in that February schedule?? Also they are already supposed to be playing Tennessee Feb. 6th in CT.....

LSU's non-conference schedule. lol

Kim Mulkey was notorious while at Baylor with scheduling cupcake non-conference schedules. She'd schedule 1 or 2 quality teams a season, then the rest would be win column fodder. A lot of folks have mused that it explains a number of early exits from the NCAAT over the past 10 yrs or so, despite consistently having depth of talent that could look CT's in the eyes....

Doesn't surprise me that she's starting that at LSU....

Yeah I usually don't do it unless it's something really egregious but if I get the gist I let it be. The only time I really become a grammar police is if someone's being a real jerk to someone else about it.
I digress, I'm not going to hijack this thread away from basketball. So it looks like the team is having fun at the pool. Hoping the team chemistry is replicated on the court as well.

I recognize the pool. So Dawn lives in THAT house.

Kim Mulkey was notorious while at Baylor with scheduling cupcake non-conference schedules. She'd schedule 1 or 2 quality teams a season, then the rest would be win column fodder. A lot of folks have mused that it explains a number of early exits from the NCAAT over the past 10 yrs or so, despite consistently having depth of talent that could look CT's in the eyes....

Now she gets to hide behind the fact that she plays an SEC conference schedule now, compared to the weak Big 12 to justify it. This is why I'm not afraid of Mulkey going to LSU, she only wins big once every few years when her teams are stacked with talent. I doubt she'll be able to maintain top 1 or 2 seed come tournament time scheduling like this in the SEC.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn

So only 3 power 5 games in noncon and 2 of those teams had losing records. She makes it into conference play 12-1 or 11-2 at the worst.

If she goes 8-8 in conference, she will have as many conference losses in one year as she had the last 10 years at Baylor.

Even Vic Schaefer is embarrassed by that noncon schedule.

Home conference schedule is easier than the away portion. There are four really bad teams(UF, Bama, Vandy, and Aub.). We play all but UF at home

Some interesting predictions at this site.

USC2.jpg

No surprise, USC is picked first. I'm kind of shocked Mizzou is so low. Did they lose people? Did Vandy add players? I thought Georgia would be picked higher based on what they return and their incoming class.

Moon Ursin is picked 3rd on the all-SEC team behind Howard and Boston and before Zia. So she would be a big loss for LSU, if she transfers.

Saniya Rivers is their selection for Freshman of the Year.

Gotta love the photo they used of Kim Mulkey. lol

Scott_Weaver_-_Scott_Weaver_WVU_BU_017_large.JPG
Are you sure that's not Cruella DeVille?

• Haha
Reactions: DarkCock
Stanford is not afraid to schedule us. They have done a home and home with us in the DS era.
A lot of it has to do with logistics. It has to be pre conference. You can’t go west coast for a midweek or even weekend game during conference play. Generally it would be best for the game to be an add on to a thanksgiving or Christmas tournament. We did that several years ago, played in a Hawaii tourney, flew out early and played both UCLA & USCW.
OR you get it to be a neutral site made for TV game.
I hate this "conference play" concept. Always have. Would like to see us schedule 3 conference games in December and perhaps 2 more non-conference games in January/February, with Clemron being 1 of the 2.

Would like to see "3 and 3" for the men too.

They are used to winning and expect to win at the highest level. That's the attitude that winning begets. It's also why people are so outdone with the state of our baseball program right now. It never should have gotten this way and people know it.
When Ray was done, Ray was done. And while the Holbrook hire was the right move at the time, who knew it would turn out to be abysmal.

Had the Holbrook hire turned out well, I predict that we would have gotten back to Omaha several times since 2012 (although not every year - that's an unrealistic expectation), probably something similar to how often Mississippi State has made it of late, with at least one more CWS championship.

When you've had a taste of sustained success, who wants to settle for Salisbury steak when you've had filet mignon. Baseball's had it, women's hoops has had New York Strip for the past few years, and men's hoops might have had filet mignon had we not foolishly left the ACC (yeah, that argument again 😑).

Last season we lost to both Tennessee and Texas A&M by 8 points each, in away games at their places. Tennessee has the overall length to give our team issues, and the Aggies were senior-laden and were after all #3 ranked at the time. They were the only games we played against last season.

We also had very tough games against Georgia at home and in the SECT - they too had length in the paint plus aggressive perimeter defenders, and both games were low-scoring grinding affairs where we won by 12 and 5 pts. We played Kentucky twice winning by only 5 points in Lexington, and by 21 pts at home. We had a decisive rebounding and post advantage against them. We played Arkansas once at home, and won by 22 pts - again we had the decisive rebounding and post advantage.

I would say that Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, and Texas A&M should be our most formidable conference opponents for 2021-22. I place Tennessee and Georgia almost tied at the top, and if anything UGA might edge out UTjr. UGA returns almost all of their starting unit, and add an exceptional class of depth. And it will be in Athens.

For some reason that I haven't figured out Georgia has been getting the back of the hand from online "experts" for preseason rankings this season. They finished ranked 10th nationally in the AP's final poll before the NCAAT last season, and if anything was on a roll until then. Do the "experts" think it was merely based on positive momentum that a new season won't replicate? In 2019-20 they finished 17-14, and we beat them by 35 and 34 points, respectively. Maybe it's felt that the Lady Bulldogs will slide back toward that level, but I'm wary......

Texas A&M were our biggest rivals in the SEC last season, and in fact they beat us and won the regular-season title. They started five seniors who started all 28 games they played, and they lost three of them for 21-22 - including their top 2 scorers and top 3 rebounders. They will be a solid team, but not at the level they were last year, I don't think.

We only play Tennessee in Colonial Life, and they lost their top player in Davis. I feel good about that game, but it's a solid rivalry game in recent years, so we need to be ready. Kentucky still has Howard which makes them very dangerous, but we've seemed to have defending her figured out, and while they may have added some depth for the post, we kinda did that too, LOL.

Arkansas should not be the threat they were last season, and they weren't one, really. We beat them by 22 pts last season on our floor, and it will be in Fayetteville, but Dungee is gone so that's a huge scoring hole to fill, and Arkansas like UK will be at a deficit in the post against us.

After that there's Mississippi State who we play only once at home - it will still have the interest factor more because Coach Nikki is there, but they do still have some talent on their roster. They are still figuring out themselves though....

Surprised at Georgia ranking in the poll above... They were a really good team last year and get most everyone back, unless I misread that.

Last season we lost to both Tennessee and Texas A&M by 8 points each, in away games at their places. Tennessee has the overall length to give our team issues, and the Aggies were senior-laden and were after all #3 ranked at the time. They were the only games we played against last season.

We also had very tough games against Georgia at home and in the SECT - they too had length in the paint plus aggressive perimeter defenders, and both games were low-scoring grinding affairs where we won by 12 and 5 pts. We played Kentucky twice winning by only 5 points in Lexington, and by 21 pts at home. We had a decisive rebounding and post advantage against them. We played Arkansas once at home, and won by 22 pts - again we had the decisive rebounding and post advantage.

I would say that Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, and Texas A&M should be our most formidable conference opponents for 2021-22. I place Tennessee and Georgia almost tied at the top, and if anything UGA might edge out UTjr. UGA returns almost all of their starting unit, and add an exceptional class of depth. And it will be in Athens.

For some reason that I haven't figured out Georgia has been getting the back of the hand from online "experts" for preseason rankings this season. They finished ranked 10th nationally in the AP's final poll before the NCAAT last season, and if anything was on a roll until then. Do the "experts" think it was merely based on positive momentum that a new season won't replicate? In 2019-20 they finished 17-14, and we beat them by 35 and 34 points, respectively. Maybe it's felt that the Lady Bulldogs will slide back toward that level, but I'm wary......

Texas A&M were our biggest rivals in the SEC last season, and in fact they beat us and won the regular-season title. They started five seniors who started all 28 games they played, and they lost three of them for 21-22 - including their top 2 scorers and top 3 rebounders. They will be a solid team, but not at the level they were last year, I don't think.

We only play Tennessee in Colonial Life, and they lost their top player in Davis. I feel good about that game, but it's a solid rivalry game in recent years, so we need to be ready. Kentucky still has Howard which makes them very dangerous, but we've seemed to have defending her figured out, and while they may have added some depth for the post, we kinda did that too, LOL.

Arkansas should not be the threat they were last season, and they weren't one, really. We beat them by 22 pts last season on our floor, and it will be in Fayetteville, but Dungee is gone so that's a huge scoring hole to fill, and Arkansas like UK will be at a deficit in the post against us.

After that there's Mississippi State who we play only once at home - it will still have the interest factor more because Coach Nikki is there, but they do still have some talent on their roster. They are still figuring out themselves though....
Thanks!!

SEC has 10 teams that could make the NCAA’s
ESPN Projects 9 with LSU the bubble.

UGA has the luck of two super seniors Staiti and Morrison. They have size and depth to stay with us. Every game they play is a rock fight. But they will be a poor 3pt team and I just do not think they can produce enough O to beat us. The game will feature 3 Conference DPOY.

A&M lost their 2 bigs and only replaced one. Good depth and scoring but they are not the special team they were last year

UT has size at all positions but Key is their only interior threat. Burrell is great but she can’t beat us by herself. Horston is a senior y’all and athletic but what has she done for being the #2 recruit nationally?Maybe transfers Dye(Troy) and Green(Lib͏e͏r͏ty) help, but I think they have taken a step back.

UK has Howard who is a monster. They have some nice pieces and a couple of above average bigs. Being interesting to see how they play with it being Elzey’s team. I’m not sure I see how the pieces fit

Miss St. Nikki has done and amazing job reconstructing that team. They have more talent then they did last year and it has to be a better locker room........ Wait..... there are three Hayes sisters, let’s wait and see on the locker room. True excellent center with Carter, 6’1” star in Jackson and 7-8 guards 5’5” to 5’7” who can motor and shoot.

Don’t sleep on Ark. they got an excellent transfer from Oregon state, Goforth. They also brought in 6’5” guard Wolfenbarger, a top recruit and 6’4 Dauda, another 5 star. Dauda will RS with injury. They could be real trouble next season

I think you have missed the leap forward that OM is going to take. 6’5” Austin is a beast! They return 7 of their top 8. Brought in 3 transfers: LaShonda Monk 14ppg and AAC DPOY, Salary a 5 star recruit who left UT, Angel Bakerfrom Wright State who averaged 16 ppg and a top rated JUCO guard Tiya Douglas who averaged 14ppg and shot over 40% from 3pt.
I think the DPOY will be interesting

Boston and Morrison returning SEC DPOY
Cardoso ACC DPOY
Monk AAC DPOY

Last edited:
Horston is a junior, I believe. ESPN ranked her one spot ahead of Boston, If I remember correctly. But she's never lived up to that hype. Regardless, I still like the Vols to finish 2nd. They play only one game against us, here in Columbia, which is good for them. Might as well take that L on the road.

Umm, no Arky now has height in the post and at forward...

Jersey Wolfenbarger
G/FFr6-5Fort Smith, Ark.

Maryam Dauda
FFr6-4Bentonville, Ark.

Yes, their both freshman but Wolfenbarger was in the top 10 and Dauda in the top 25...

Jersey Wolfenbarger
G/FFr6-5Fort Smith, Ark.

Maryam Dauda
FFr6-4Bentonville, Ark.

Yes, their both freshman but Wolfenbarger was in the top 10 and Dauda in the top 25...
Dauda is a post player but is injured and will not play but redshirt this season. Wolfenbarger a skinny 6’5” is a perimeter player. they also added Sasha Goforth from Oregon St. They are an NCAA team this year but next year they will really jump forward

Reactions: Gamekem

Jersey Wolfenbarger
G/FFr6-5Fort Smith, Ark.

Maryam Dauda
FFr6-4Bentonville, Ark.

Ummm yes - they may have added depth to their post game, but they will be young and inexperienced, and as I stated above, we also added solid depth to ours, and one such addition has quality experience. So the deficit will still be there.......

Dauda is a post player but is injured and will not play but redshirt this season. Wolfenbarger a skinny 6’5” is a perimeter player. they also added Sasha Goforth from Oregon St. They are an NCAA team this year but next year they will really jump forward
Yeah Wolfenbarger played some post in the U19 fiba cup and she wasn't great in that role. Her face up game is better than her back to basket game, even against players much shorter than her.

Reactions: winloseortie
Why is Stanford afraid to schedule us? We play all the other top teams, scared? They play nobody in the regular season and then have the refs rig the Final Four game for them, not impressed.
Shaking my head while facepalming

they play in the PAC and have a very tough OOC schedule.

scared? If so, why did they agree to play on our court this year?

You could tell Boston was much thinner in the FIBA Tourney this summer
Yeah between the weight loss and her hair color change, there was times I couldn't spot her on the floor in that tournament. It's nice to put a tangible number on how much shes lost and her 3 pointer in the clip looked great.

Yeah between the weight loss and her hair color change, there was times I couldn't spot her on the floor in that tournament. It's nice to put a tangible number on how much shes lost and her 3 pointer in the clip looked great.

Team Running the whole clip.
No Lele that I could see.
Damn if Cardoso doesn’t fly in transition
Raven looks thinner than when she first go here

Team Running the whole clip.
No Lele that I could see.
Damn if Cardoso doesn’t fly in transition
Raven looks thinner than when she first go here
Looks like she's the first freshman to complete some sort of weightlifting challenge. Which really shocked me when considering how strong the other freshman already look.

My favorite part of the clip is Dawn asking why they bother practicing back door plays since no one is going to play us straight up. Everyone's going to play zone against us. 😂

My favorite part of the clip is Dawn asking why they bother practicing back door plays since no one is going to play us straight up. Everyone's going to play zone against us. 😂
That’s our team weakness though. We need a couple of zone busters who can make teams pay for it. Hoping Raven can bring some of that. Her 3 point ability really improved her senior season.

Why can’t a back door pass and bucket work in a zone?

Why can’t a back door pass and bucket work in a zone?
Golden State is a very good back door cutting team because opposing team are so concerned with the 3 point shot they overplay the Warriors on the perimeter. Carolina's opponents, on the other hand, defend completely opposite: they pack the interior and are less aggressive on our perimeter shooters.

Check out Zia's highlights against Stanford. One of the few teams to play "man-to-man" defense against us. She had one early back door play. But if you noticed on the rest of the plays, the Stanford players guarding Saxton and Beal are slacking so far off of them, even if Zia cut to the basketball several tall Stanford defenders who be in position to make a play. So most of Zia points came from the outside or the pull up mid-range shot.

As sgacock said, a three pointer shooter could help pull teams out of the zone. Also, if our forwards could hit shots in the mid-range that would help as well. More likely though, as Dawn predicts, very few teams are going to come out of the zone. Better to die by Carolina shooting the mid-range/3 point shot than let Boston and Cardoso dominate the interior.

Here's an example: Lexi Hull is just waiting in the lane.

USC3.jpg

If Zia penetrates, the correct play is to pass out to Beal. Not ideal. Zia was such a boss in that game. If she didn't step up and beat her defender, we weren't going to score very many points in that game. One of the great big game performances by a Carolina player in any sport.

And I'm not knocking on Beal. She's one of my favorite players. I just think playing Beal and Saxton at the same time limits the team offensively. Coach will have more options next season.

Here's an example: Lexi Hull is just waiting in the lane.

USC3.jpg

If Zia penetrates, the correct play is to pass out to Beal. Not ideal. Zia was such a boss in that game. If she didn't step up and beat her defender, we weren't going to score very many points in that game. One of the great big game performances by a Carolina player in any sport.

And I'm not knocking on Beal. She's one of my favorite players. I just think playing Beal and Saxton at the same time limits the team offensively. Coach will have more options next season.
I really hope Beal worked on her shot this off-season and her confidence in it. She is such a solid player outside of that. If she can get herself at around 35% at the 3 point line, that one change alone would likely be enough to put the team in a position to win a title, and that's without even considering the new pieces we added.

Everything y’all said is so spot on. Beal and Saxton either become threats or Amihere, Rivers et al see more time

The beauty of the 19 team was that it had 4 scorers. Kiki over the last 20 games was 50% from the field 40% from 3 and 90% ft. She stretched the D in a way we just did not have last year.

What you can look forward to seeing with
our opponents this season on the WBB
schedule

All 5 active coaches to win an NCAAA title, not named Dawn

Geno Auriemma
Kim Mulkey
Gary Blair
Brenda Freese
Tara VanDeveer

Top 25 teams
#1 UCONN x2
#3 Stanford
#5 Maryland
#8 NCSU
#10 Oregon
#14 UK x2
#18 UT
# 22 Texas A&M x2
#25 S. Dakota

12 of the top 25 national players. This does not include #2 Boston, #15 Cooke or #19 Henderson

#3Paige Bueckers UCONN
#5 Haley Jones Stanford
#6 Rhyne Howard UK
#9 Elissa Cunane NCSU
#10 Ashley Owusu UMD
#11 Christyn Williams UCONN
#12 Shakira Austin Ole Miss
#13 Diamond Miller UMD
# 14 Cameron Brink Stanford
#23 Azzi Fudd UCONN
#24 Rae Burrell UT
#25 Ayoka Lee Kansas State

Conference DPOYs

Aliyah Boston SEC
Kamilla Cardoso ACC
Que Morrison SEC
LaShonda Monk AAC now playing for Ole Miss
Anna Wilson PAC 12

So there are 4 defending DPOY playing in the SEC!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT