ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting

JGH 35

Oct 22, 2013
Here we are in June and we only have 4 commits. If those were top blue chip prospects it might not as bad, but they appear to be somewhat average. A LB at 215 lbs, a DB who's 5'9", and a OL weighing in at 265 aren't exactly "wow" recruits. June is a big month in recruiting. If we don't see a lot of quality commits in June or early July I'm afraid this year will be a bust as far as recruiting. I'm sure the staff is trying hard and we read how they are making lots of offers, but none seem to be realistic shots at producing quality commitments. This won't appreciably affect next year since most freshmen don't contribute much anyway, but if this year is not good, and we have no quality recruits coming in, it could seriously affect the program for several years. Personally, I don't think this staff has several years to waste before the fans become restless. Let's hope the camps produce some good talented recruits we can build on. Things are really beginning to tighten up.

Here we are in June and we only have 4 commits. If those were top blue chip prospects it might not as bad, but they appear to be somewhat average. A LB at 215 lbs, a DB who's 5'9", and a OL weighing in at 265 aren't exactly "wow" recruits. June is a big month in recruiting. If we don't see a lot of quality commits in June or early July I'm afraid this year will be a bust as far as recruiting. I'm sure the staff is trying hard and we read how they are making lots of offers, but none seem to be realistic shots at producing quality commitments. This won't appreciably affect next year since most freshmen don't contribute much anyway, but if this year is not good, and we have no quality recruits coming in, it could seriously affect the program for several years. Personally, I don't think this staff has several years to waste before the fans become restless. Let's hope the camps produce some good talented recruits we can build on. Things are really beginning to tighten up.
🤦‍♂️🙄

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
No students have been able to visit schools for the last year. Many 4 star and high 3 stars are coming to Columbia this month. But most will take all their visits before making a decision. Like I said before Beamer is swinging for the fences in recruiting. And we're just going to have to wait on most of these kids. We will finish in the top 25.

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
So a team coming off back to back terrible seasons, coming off a chaotic offseason hasn’t locked in a ton of high profile recruits before the new staff has even really had a chance to meet with kids or show what they can do on the field...shocking.

If this hasn’t improved by October I’d worry but at this point we should be thankful those 4 came on board.

So a team coming off back to back terrible seasons, coming off a chaotic offseason hasn’t locked in a ton of high profile recruits before the new staff has even really had a chance to meet with kids or show what they can do on the field...shocking.

If this hasn’t improved by October I’d worry but at this point we should be thankful those 4 came on board.

And don't forget, the new staff had to start their recruiting mid-pandemic.

The staff obviously has a lot of ground to make-up, but it would be useful if they could make unexpected progress with a top in-state talent like Jaylen Sneed or Jaleel Skinner. Seems both are primed to leave the state and are not giving South Carolina a look. Can’t help but think a more high profile head coaching hire or splashy DC/OC could have made a difference there.

Based on who the staff lead for, they seem primed to get back into that fringe top 30 recruiting class area when it’s all said and done, but this team needs some real difference makers at WR, TE, LB, and DB.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
We have, among others, backed off Skinner. I think this class is going to end up top 25. There is a 4* WR out of Florida who is spending a couple of says here. Williams comes in today I think, he is the big fish right now, and McCall still could be a surprise...

Reactions: jeff2001
The staff obviously has a lot of ground to make-up, but it would be useful if they could make unexpected progress with a top in-state talent like Jaylen Sneed or Jaleel Skinner. Seems both are primed to leave the state and are not giving South Carolina a look. Can’t help but think a more high profile head coaching hire or splashy DC/OC could have made a difference there.

Based on who the staff lead for, they seem primed to get back into that fringe top 30 recruiting class area when it’s all said and done, but this team needs some real difference makers at WR, TE, LB, and DB.
Sneed is going out of state. He doesnt want to come here. Period. I talk to a lot of Greenville county coaches and Skinner...........well he looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

We will not get Sneed for the same reason we did not get Poona Ford. Same high school head coach who steers guys away from USC. USC had Spurrier (about as high profile as it gets) when Ford left the State so I think having a higher profile head coach would have made zilch difference with Snead.

Last edited:
We will not get Sneed for the same reason we did not get Poona Ford. Same high school head coach who steers guys away from USC. USC had Spurrier (about as high profile as it gets) when Ford was left the State so I think having a higher profile head coach would have made zilch difference with Snead.
Ok, I've heard this before? Who is Hilton Head Coach and why does he dislike USC ? What's the problem?

Sneed is going out of state. He doesnt want to come here. Period. I talk to a lot of Greenville county coaches and Skinner...........well he looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.
It’s always the same excuses and “information” put out by the Rivals and 247 guys. Cooled on so and so for xyz reasons. This guy just wants to go out of state. This head coach hates South Carolina, etc. etc. There are three top 100 guys from South Carolina this cycle, all at extreme positions of need, and the Shane Beamer hire didn’t make a dent with any of the three. Might not matter, might be unfair. Shane might be making great inroads with the 2023 and 2024 guys. He might really like other guys more. But this aw-shucks, we can’t figure this out because it’s hard or don’t worry about it because this top 100 guy isn’t as good as the top 500 guy we’re looking at is just a continuation of the same nonsense.

It’s always the same excuses and “information” put out by the Rivals and 247 guys. Cooled on so and so for xyz reasons. This guy just wants to go out of state. This head coach hates South Carolina, etc. etc. There are three top 100 guys from South Carolina this cycle, all at extreme positions of need, and the Shane Beamer hire didn’t make a dent with any of the three. Might not matter, might be unfair. Shane might be making great inroads with the 2023 and 2024 guys. He might really like other guys more. But this aw-shucks, we can’t figure this out because it’s hard or don’t worry about it because this top 100 guy isn’t as good as the top 500 guy we’re looking at is just a continuation of the same nonsense.
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its not the truth. Skinner's recruitment has been all over the place, at one time everyone had him going to Florida, now it's Florida State. A lot of schools have backed off.

As for Sneed, Beamer and company have went after him hard, and Beamer is working the relationship with Payne, but Payne is still pushing him toward ND.

What I posted is a fact. Believe whatever you choose. USC never "cooled" on Ford or Snead so that's not relevant to this situation.

Reactions: carolinamyke
If a kid doesnt want to come to your school. He wont, you can recruit him or her until your brain falls out.

If a kid doesnt want to come to your school. He wont, you can recruit him or her until your brain falls out.
Of course that is true. But you either put kids on the field who can win against an SEC schedule or you don’t. You can make excuses for everything. And in the micro, they might be completely justifiable excuses. For Beamer, there are probably mountains he just can’t climb or doesn’t know how yet. But excuses add up. Couldn’t get this done because of this, couldn’t get that done because of that. There is give-up ingrained in the athletics culture of this university in football and men’s basketball. And I don’t mean give up in as not trying hard, but give up in terms of a lack of critical thinking and forethought.

Sneed had his mind made up about leaving the state long before Beamer arrived on the scene. I'm all about coaches nailing down in-state recruits but, from time to time, you come across recruits who just have it in their minds to leave the state, no matter what. That's Sneed.

Reactions: WingchunCock
I did not realize that USC was the only school in the NCAA that could not have recruits on campus and had to recruit during the pandemic restrictions. Thank you all for clarifying that. I also did not realize we are the only school in the rankings that has a new coaching staff that had to start recruiting fresh.

I guess the 36 teams ahead of us are just darn lucky they were not hampered by all the negative events of the past year.

I did not realize that USC was the only school in the NCAA that could not have recruits on campus and had to recruit during the pandemic restrictions. Thank you all for clarifying that. I also did not realize we are the only school in the rankings that has a new coaching staff that had to start recruiting fresh.

I guess the 36 teams ahead of us are just darn lucky they were not hampered by all the negative events of the past year.

Never apologize for being uninformed.

Wins will solve the problems in recruiting. I’ll be pulling for us to get to six wins this year. This will show the recruits that we have a solid staff in place and progress is being made.

No students have been able to visit schools for the last year. Many 4 star and high 3 stars are coming to Columbia this month. But most will take all their visits before making a decision. Like I said before Beamer is swinging for the fences in recruiting. And we're just going to have to wait on most of these kids. We will finish in the top 25.
Two things, you forgot the 5 stars and consider who you're talking to

Talk to coaches in Spartanburg County...that's where the big boy's play and you will get a better assessment....and Skinner is from Spartanburg County...too bad he did not want to go to Byrnes...if you live in Sunnyside, which he does in Greer, your're closer to Byrnes Campus than Greer's Campus anyway...go figure....

Reactions: jeff2001

Why did you leave out the four star QB in the OP?

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Ol
Talk to coaches in Spartanburg County...that's where the big boy's play and you will get a better assessment....and Skinner is from Spartanburg County...too bad he did not want to go to Byrnes...if you live in Sunnyside, which he does in Greer, your're closer to Byrnes Campus than Greer's Campus anyway...go figure....
True. There was a rumor , he was going to move to IMG. But I guess not.

Why did you leave out the four star QB in the OP?
Because 3/4 of the commitments are not highly rated and aren't impressive on paper. The only one that is highly rated is fine but having one decent recruit is not what you can build an entire program on. If all 4 had been top notch recruits I wouldn't even have made the thread even though the numbers are low. At least that would have given a good base to build on. Besides, this one position was not a critical position of need at the moment. LBs, DBs, and DTs are. Yet we have not really addressed those positions yet. Historically, all the best recruits are committed by the end of July so there has to be a sense of urgency here.

How many of the 36 teams ahead of us have comparable records to ours the last 3 years? There’s your answer.

Isn’t 37 much better than last year? All before a single snap has been played. Be patient the recruits will come

Didn't a high profile recruit just recently stop by on his own? Last year there were no in person contact recruiting and this year there is. If I were a high profile recruit I would want to take all my in person official visits first before deciding. Last year that wasn't possible.

Big Fat Douche...wife taught with him at HHI HS....and yes, father played for Clemson
This seems to come up on here about this guy from time to time and I don’t know what all is accurate. I can’t stand a clemsuck inbreed but as ahead coach I would never steer a player away from a particular school if that was their choice. I would be open about who I pull for but have enough character to not interfere. If he is actively trying to influence player decisions he is clearly showing what a scum bag he is.

I don't believe it's a bad start at all. Westmoreland is a high 3 star. Mains is rated a high 3 star on other sites. Banks has offers from schools in every Power 5 conference. And of course Davis is a 4 star.

You have to realize that Shane Beamer is an unknown as far as being a Head Coach. He has a famous last name, but, not the proven results on the field of that last name. If Shane shows signs this season of being able to coach as well, on game day, as Frank.......watch out. Frank was a good recruiter but, not a great recruiter. "Coaching" was Frank's forte. If Shane shows he can produce on the field, I believe we will be amazed at the quality of recruits he will, thereafter, bring in. Shane has shown from his previous time here and the short period of time he has been back, that recruiting is one of his strengths. As Coach Norman Dale signaled to his underdog players in the championship game in the movie "Hoosiers"..... be patient, be patient.

This seems to come up on here about this guy from time to time and I don’t know what all is accurate. I can’t stand a clemsuck inbreed but as ahead coach I would never steer a player away from a particular school if that was their choice. I would be open about who I pull for but have enough character to not interfere. If he is actively trying to influence player decisions he is clearly showing what a scum bag he is.
Oh, he'll deny it until the cows come home. But IIRC, Poona ford committed to us after an in person visit when the coach was not at school that day. The very next day, the coach comes back and Ford suddenly backed off his commitment. You'll never convince me the coach didn't have something to do with that.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
If you didn't recognize the obvious sarcasm then you need to apologize for being stupid.
Did you look at the rankings? Ky is currently 9th- ahead of Bama, clemsun, florida, TAMU, Tx…. If you think the current rankings- representing classes where not a single school has signed over HALF of a class to this point- have any bearing on ANYTHING (which clearly you do- as shown by all your crying to this point) it is you who should apologize for being stupid.

Nobody expects us to dominate recruiting after 6 wins total over the past two seasons and a coaching change… Nobody with any idea of how recruiting works anyway… but it is still about 6 months from the first signing period and nobody has played a GAME yet. We will likely once again focus on transfers and getting guys who can help immediately. The portal has rendered recruiting rankings virtually meaningless as some schools are filling half or more of their allotment from the portal and it does not figure into recruiting class rankings… But please, continue to ignore all the facts and freaking out over meaningless BS like this- anything you can find to trash our program, coaches and future players is fair game for you right?

Reactions: WingchunCock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT