ADVERTISEMENT

3 SEC teams in playoff...

cockymark

Oct 1, 2006
Probably will not happen but who knows?...if LSU beat UGA....UGA still in...LSU in.....ohio st. and mich. loser out....and tenn in.

I get this feeling we might see four conference champions in this year if...

1. TCU wins out
2. USCw wins out
3. Mich or Ohio St wins out
4. Winner of SECCG

If any one of those first three dont happen, a second SEC team gets in.

Imo, they stay as far away as they possibably can at trying to decide who is the second best team in the SEC worthy of getting in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbouton2
Probably will not happen but who knows?...if LSU beat UGA....UGA still in...LSU in.....ohio st. and mich. loser out....and tenn in.
2 lost LSU in while one L OSU/UM out? Boy, that will get people talking.

I believe Tennessee is in - gonna be 11-1 with only loss to #1 Georgia. Right? And I don’t see LSU beating Georgia, particularly in Atlanta. That’s the two. Then Ohio State/ Michigan winner. And TCU if they don’t have a letdown vs Baylor. I don’t see KSU beating them (particularly in Arlington) even though the first game was fairly close, but TCU plays a lot of close games and has pulled out a win every time (so far). …….. But you never know. That’s why they play and why we watch.

• Haha
Reactions: LegalTiger

I see no chance the SEC gets 3. If LSU wins, they put a 2 loss SEC in. UGA would have to get in also. OSU/Michigan winner obviously. How could the OSU/Michigan loser not go in over Tennessee? Both 1 loss, non division champ, and SEC already has 2.

Then you have possibly unbeaten TCU, and probably 1 loss Southern Cal or Oregon.

2 maybe, 3 no chance

I hesitate to say, "never", but I would be shocked if the SEC got more than 2 teams in the CFB Playoffs this year. UGA is almost a certainty. Tennessee has a shot, but is not guaranteed. LSU has to win out.
Ohio State could conceivably lose to Michigan (close) and still make the playoffs. Michigan's OOC schedule is too weak for them to lose to OSU and still make it in with 1 loss.
TCU is in if they win out and win the Big XII Championship.
Southern Cal is a strong contender for a spot if they finish with wins.
Clemson only has 1 loss, but plays in a relatively weak ACC. Still, they have a shot at the playoffs should they win out.

1. TCU wins out
2. USCw wins out
4. Winner of SECCG

If any one of those first three dont happen, a second SEC team gets in.

Imo, they stay as far away as they possibably can at trying to decide who is the second best team in the SEC worthy of getting in.
I think UGA beats LSU, TCU and UT wins out. That means UGA, TCU, OSU UM winner (probably OSU) and UT.
I don't see SC getting in. UT goes in over a one loss CU.

I think UGA beats LSU, TCU and UT wins out. That means UGA, TCU, OSU UM winner (probably OSU) and UT.
The reason I said SC in (btw, I'm more trying to predict what the committee would do rather than my choice) is that at the time I posted, the Pac12 had 3 teams in the top ten so they're conference is obviously highly thought of this year. Right now, they still have 2 in the top 10 but 6 in the top 25... in the AP anyway. If SC wins out, their only loss is to a top 10 team. There's still gonna be some shuffling around. At this point tho, I agree you could make a better case for Tenn getting in. Question is is that what the commitee will do? Or will they spread the love? We'll see.
No question about it though that the Pac12 champ has a much better resume than the ACC champ so the ACC is out imo. The Pac12 makes a good case for being included but they might just come up short.

Last edited:
OSU seems like the better prospect for the Big 10, but they are extremely untested.
Yes and so is TCU. The committee likes undefeated though. And if UGA, TCU, and OSU win out they're in. And UT is the best one loss team by far.

Yes and so is TCU. The committee likes undefeated though. And if UGA, TCU, and OSU win out they're in. And UT is the best one loss team by far.
I hope you’re right but clemson could have a top 10-15 win under their belt (unc) and be a conference champ. Tenn wont even be a divisional champ. Those criteria matter. Like I said I hope you’re right .

1. TCU wins out
2. USCw wins out
4. Winner of SECCG
May have been a little far fetched, but its one step closer to reality

I hope you’re right but clemson could have a top 10-15 win under their belt (unc) and be a conference champ. Tenn wont even be a divisional champ. Those criteria matter. Like I said I hope you’re right .
With UT out it probably comes down between the OSU / UM loser, Southern Cal, and Clemson IF they win out. If we beat clemson we will have theoretically knocked two teams from the playoffs. If it comes down between clemson and southern cal I think socal gets the nod because of the level of competition.

With UT out it probably comes down between the OSU / UM loser, Southern Cal, and Clemson IF they win out. If we beat clemson we will have theoretically knocked two teams from the playoffs. If it comes down between clemson and southern cal I think socal gets the nod because of the level of competition.
UNC losing to GT just before the ACC championship game... well that was glorious. Best case, cu gets a minimal bump defeating unc. Call me a big fan of TCU and SoCal just in case.

Agreed but I think notre dame is the better team.

Reactions: cocks rule
UNC losing to GT just before the ACC championship game... well that was glorious. Best case, cu gets a minimal bump defeating unc. Call me a big fan of TCU and SoCal just in case.
I don’t think unc losing matters. When you compare clemson to a Michigan or OSU they will have a division and conference championship over that team and just as many ranked wins. I guesss I’m pessimistic and really don’t want them in the playoffs . Them going to the playoffs and losing is better for them than not going at all in my opinion

I don’t think unc losing matters. When you compare clemson to a Michigan or OSU they will have a division and conference championship over that team and just as many ranked wins. I guesss I’m pessimistic and really don’t want them in the playoffs . Them going to the playoffs and losing is better for them than not going at all in my opinion
NC St dropped out of the ap and is likely to drop out the CFP rankings but may be able to squeak back in. That leaves FSU as their only ranked win I believe. UNC is also on their way down and quite possibably finish the season unranked. That most certainly isnt going to help the taters. The ACC again being exposed. Meanwhile, the Pac12 still has 6 in the CFP top 25 so I would imagine the SOS for the conference champ will be quite well. And TCU is undefeated.

NC St dropped out of the ap and is likely to drop out the CFP rankings but may be able to squeak back in. That leaves FSU as their only ranked win I believe. UNC is also on their way down and quite possibably finish the season unranked. That most certainly isnt going to help the taters. The ACC again being exposed. Meanwhile, the Pac12 still has 6 in the CFP top 25 so I would imagine the SOS for the conference champ will be quite well. And TCU is undefeated.
LSU is in if they beat Ga, and of course This weekend, that puts Ga in as well, if they beat tech. Taters in with a win out, and a USC loss. I don’t see TCU getting in ahead of them.

LSU is in if they beat Ga, and of course This weekend, that puts Ga in as well, if they beat tech. Taters in with a win out, and a USC loss. I don’t see TCU getting in ahead of them.
To be honest, I dont like having TCU in either. I find it hard to believe the commitee will pass on an undefeated team this year tho. That said, the new ranking are due out within the hour. Should be interesting

Reactions: cockofdawn
UNC loses to NCSt. Taters will have to settle for an acc championship opponent outside the top 20. Yeah that's not going like they'd hoped. Lol

If Clemson beats S.Car that trounced Tenn, no way does Tenn get in over Clemson. BTW, I don't think Clemson gets in this year, but y'all did us a huge favor by winning last week. If only Baylor and Illinois had done the same...

Here’s my prediction, LSU upsets Georgia, USC (west) finishes business and Ohio st “runs the table.”, beating Harbaugh. That puts LSU in, UGA in, Ohio state in, and Southern Cal in. End of story!!

Reactions: Jbouton2
Here’s my prediction, LSU upsets Georgia, USC (west) finishes business and Ohio st “runs the table.”, beating Harbaugh. That puts LSU in, UGA in, Ohio state in, and Southern Cal in. End of story!!
I think that's the best case that can be made for getting two in from one conference. No way OSU and Mich should both get in when it seems any time a highly ranked team beats a highly ranked team it's at least a 3 to 4 spot loss for the loser. It would be a travesty to see the loser only drop a spot or 2 now at the end of the season.
That said, LSU probably needs TCU to lose its championship to more than likely K St. Hard to believe the commitee would turn their back on TCU now. TCU loses, I think LSU is in.

Reactions: cockofdawn
With every passing game, the tater resume worsens. UF giving FSU all they can handle.
UF was terrible at crunch time. Once they reached the Red Zone, they were awful. So, another SEC team ekes out bowl eligibility at 6-6. This league has one great team, two good teams, one half-good team, and 10 sketchy teams.

UF was terrible at crunch time. Once they reached the Red Zone, they were awful. So, another SEC team ekes out bowl eligibility at 6-6. This league has one great team, two good teams, one half-good team, and 10 sketchy teams.
That seems to be the case in all conferences imo. Gotta wonder if the tallent level has taken a hit across the board. Maybe a covid effect? There's a lot of ugly football being played out there. Thinking back, lot of these kids missed a lot of development time in HS or college. Used to be many players were encouraged to retake a grade in middle school to give them more time to develop. Covid did the opposite. Instead of giving a year, it took one or more away during a critical development year. That has to be a big deal. We may be seeing the result of that. Even the taters dont look like they have been. Idk, just thinking out loud.
Funny though, cant remember ever watching as much football as I've watched this year. Ugly or not.

Last edited:
That seems to be the case in all conferences imo. Gotta wonder if the tallent level has taken a hit across the board. Maybe a covid effect? There's a lot of ugly football being played out there. Thinking back, lot of these kids missed a lot of development time in HS or college. Used to be many players were encouraged to retake a grade in middle school to give them more time to develop. Covid did the opposite. Instead of giving a year, it took one or more away during a critical development year. That has to be a big deal. We may be seeing the result of that. Even the taters dont look like they have been. Idk, just thinking out loud.
Funny though, cant remember ever watching as much football as I've watched this year. Ugly or not.
We're not supposed to be like "all" conferences, though. This conference is supposed to be distinguished, but it seems hardly distinguishable to me. This entire season has been about teams that were thought to be on the rise not being on the rise and finally losing to teams that were known to be pedestrian so that both of them wind up being 6-6. Missouri/Arkansas yesterday was a perfect example.

I'll also say that 6-6 bowl eligibility needs to go away, Let's let sub-mediocrity receive the consequences that sub-mediocrity deserves. If Gasparilla Bowls have to go away, then let them.

We're not supposed to be like "all" conferences, though. This conference is supposed to be distinguished, but it seems hardly distinguishable to me. This entire season has been about teams that were thought to be on the rise not being on the rise and finally losing to teams that were known to be pedestrian so that both of them wind up being 6-6. Missouri/Arkansas yesterday was a perfect example.

I'll also say that 6-6 bowl eligibility needs to go away, Let's let sub-mediocrity receive the consequences that sub-mediocrity deserves. If Gasparilla Bowls have to go away, then let them.
I agree. They should have eliminated 6 win eligibility when the went to 12 reg season games.
We'll see soon enough how the SEC compares to other conferences. I feel they are still at the top of the pyramid by a good margin but relatively speaking, there's a lot of ugly football out there.

I agree. They should have eliminated 6 win eligibility when the went to 12 reg season games.
We'll see soon enough how the SEC compares to other conferences. I feel they are still at the top of the pyramid by a good margin but relatively speaking, there's a lot of ugly football out there.
The bowl season will be indicative, I think. The four ACC rivalry games mean a lot to me also. The SEC is already 0-1. I think 2-2 would be optimum. Anything better would be gravy, requiring that we win today.

Reactions: bucketdad
The bowl season will be indicative, I think. The four ACC rivalry games mean a lot to me also. The SEC is already 0-1. I think 2-2 would be optimum. Anything better would be gravy, requiring that we win today.
FSU is probably the 2nd best team in their conference while UF is a middle of the pack SEC and that's being generous. It's hard for me to not be disapointed in UF's demise. Too bad we couldnt capitalize. And of course the taters being number one will do all they can to destroy us but who knows. UK and Louisville should be a good one. UGA should roll. It will be an interesting day for sure.

FSU is probably the 2nd best team in their conference while UF is a middle of the pack SEC and that's being generous. It's hard for me to not be disapointed in UF's demise. Too bad we couldnt capitalize. And of course the taters being number one will do all they can to destroy us but who knows. UK and Louisville should be a good one. UGA should roll. It will be an interesting day for sure.
UF is a team we couldn't score an offensive TD against two weeks ago. But they drink from the same talent trough as FSU. They must drink from the dirty end of the trough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT