ADVERTISEMENT

3 star Javion Cohen decommits per Twitter. **

Whatever? I just don't get em!

Same here I don't understand them either. It's a different world today in recruiting that's for sure. I personally don't put much emotional stock in any commitments these days until we get their names on the proverbial line.

Reactions: Proudcock
He was supposedly at the spring game. Sounds like something didn't go right. Maybe he wasn't impressed with the crowd. Maybe the coaches didnt give him enough attention . Maybe his grades have slipped recently . Who knows ?

Reactions: gamecockblack
Why do you commit and decommit within a month? Millennials?

It's still early in the process. Could be that he's suddenly getting more offers and/or attention from other big programs that he didn't expect before, and is being told to step back, re-assess his options before committing. I know we've offered kids before early in the process, who were not that highly rated - esp. Muschamp offering kids - that started getting more offers and bumps in ratings immediately afterwards.

Just let it all play out. We want the kids to come to us, that WANT to come to us.....

Reactions: rogue cock
Same here I don't understand them either. It's a different world today in recruiting that's for sure. I personally don't put much emotional stock in any commitments these days until we get their names on the proverbial line.
So I see that you FINALLY adopted the very same theory as yours truly did back when a certain 5* waited 'til a week AFTER National Signing Day to actually sign!!!

I mean college football recruiting these days pretty much wraps completely up and around the old "Ya Never Know Until Ya Know" theory!!

Unfortunately, it takes most of us long enough timewise before realizing such to be so fittingly accurate, that we're in our early to mid-50's with our concept titled "I can do anything" pretty much eradicated simply due to the old "fact of life" adage titled AGING!!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
giphy.gif

He was supposedly at the spring game. Sounds like something didn't go right. Maybe he wasn't impressed with the crowd. Maybe the coaches didnt give him enough attention . Maybe his grades have slipped recently . Who knows ?

He was offered by Bama , LSU and a few other big Dog programs recently . Think we got in on him early but unfortunately it’s gonna be hard to recruit head to head against those guys . Oh well . It is what it is .

Sir, I think these kids are Gen Z not Millennials. At least that's what I've been told.
20180626_King_GenerationsChart.JPG

I think this is the more accurate one.
Gen Z should be growing up always having the internet as we know it. (06-17)
Millennials should be growing up with computers AND the boom of media and entertaintment AND the start of globalization. (94-05)
Generation Y should be growing up with computers and tech. (81-93)

[QUOTE="BobbyB1975, post: 4451270, member: 112656"]He was offered by Bama , LSU and a few other big Dog programs recently . [/QUOTE]

Actually, unless he received the offers yesterday, neither LSU, Jawja, nor Auburn have offered him but, Bama offered last fall.

What is odd is that Rivals is showing that he has already taken 6 official visits but, I have to feel that is an error (Coastal Carolina, the day after his official to us???).

Phenix City is just across the border from Columbus, Jawja and actually considered a part of the Columbus Metro area.. My guess is that they may have had his heart the whole time .... just a guess though.

Seriously, ... I don't think this dude even deserves our traditional, phony "Well, I wish him the best" rhetoric. No big loss, whatsoever.

Sir, I think these kids are Gen Z not Millennials. At least that's what I've been told.

Yes HS kids are now Gen Z. Not sure how anyone can fault a generation for kids decommitting. Baby Boomer Bobby Cremmins took the Carolina job and then left to go back to GT. Not like Gen X was perfect when you had guys like Lawrence Phillips playing.

The blame it on a generation is ridiculous as every generation has kids who mess up. If you think today's HS kids are messed up then blame Gen X or Boomers for raising them

Nah, he raved about his experience at the spring game on social media...which is why this was completely unexpected. Weird. Kids...

I don't blame the kids for being kids. They're probably least to blame and most taken-advantage-of in this whole weird process.

I do blame at least in part the recruiting services and fans and terms like "verbal commit" and "soft commit" and so on. Hell, you either commit or you don't, but it's gone awry because at the end of the day presumably grown people spend hours discussing where an 18 year old kid will put on pads or dribble a basketball.

That said, as I think was noted by posters in another thread somewhere, commitments go both ways when it comes to working for a living, and nobody signs a lifetime contract -- not employer or employee. All of us working age are probably a phone call away from taking a better offer should it come our way.

Reactions: Zann77 and ddw1263
It could be a better "offer" on the table but what could the better "offer" be? I mean what is he looking for he tossed an offer from a SEC school for what? Russians!

He was offered by Bama , LSU and a few other big Dog programs recently . Think we got in on him early but unfortunately it’s gonna be hard to recruit head to head against those guys . Oh well . It is what it is .
Wait a minute, now. Is this the fellow that has now landed with Nebraska? Or is that another liar?

Some of it's gotta be on the coaching staff, too, for accepting commitments from guys who clearly aren't all that committed to USC. I know it happens to every school from time to time, but we sure seem to get more than our fair share of decommits.

Some of it's gotta be on the coaching staff, too, for accepting commitments from guys who clearly aren't all that committed to USC. I know it happens to every school from time to time, but we sure seem to get more than our fair share of decommits.
You gotta take the commitment when you can get it. Especially from talented players.

Reactions: rogue cock
Yes HS kids are now Gen Z. Not sure how anyone can fault a generation for kids decommitting. Baby Boomer Bobby Cremmins took the Carolina job and then left to go back to GT. Not like Gen X was perfect when you had guys like Lawrence Phillips playing.

The blame it on a generation is ridiculous as every generation has kids who mess up. If you think today's HS kids are messed up then blame Gen X or Boomers for raising them

I talked to a school principal today and she said she didn't want to think about what type of world these kids today are going to create.

Wait a minute, now. Is this the fellow that has now landed with Nebraska? Or is that another liar?

Different guy . I think Green ended up at Nebraska . He was committed to us , didn’t qualify , went to Juco and apparently Nebraska found a way to get him in .

Different guy . I think Green ended up at Nebraska . He was committed to us , didn’t qualify , went to Juco and apparently Nebraska found a way to get him in .

I get so tired of other schools getting students in that we can't seem to allow in because we're such a prestigious academic institution.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I get so tired of other schools getting students in that we can't seem to allow in because we're such a prestigious academic institution.
This is not on our admissions office. He did not meet SEC criteria for JUCO grades.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT