ADVERTISEMENT

30 for 30...NC State 1983

CockTail73

Mar 27, 2011
Very interesting...unbelievable that they won the title...never paid it any attention

Never realized Olajuwon and Drexler played together at Houston

Very interesting...unbelievable that they won the title...never paid it any attention

Never realized Olajuwon and Drexler played together at Houston

I won a hundred bucks on that Championship game. The line was NC State plus 8 so I put the C-note on it. Big money for me back then but I could tell the 'Pack was on a roll. BTW, I attended the Final Four in New Orleans the previous year. NC versus Georgetown was an epic final.

Reactions: cock enforcer
Hungry like the Wolf was their theme song that year!!!! Lowe and Whittenburg were shooting the 3 before there was a 3 point line :)

Remember it well. Derek Wittenburg, Thurl Bailey, Sidney Lowe, Cozell McQueen (an S.C. native), Lorenzo Charles, and Terry Gannon (the sports broadcaster).

That is the best 30/30 ever produced, a real tear jerker. I have always hated NC State for the beating in the 1970 ACC tournament, and the cheating us in football in 1986, but I felt good for them and Valvano after seeing that show.

The 30 for 30 on Phi Slamma Jamma was awesome too . Didn't realize they went to 3 straight final 4's . The year after NC State they played the Georgetown Patrick Ewing team and lost . The Houston highlight reel from those years in AMAZING !!! Funny thing is they had a few other guys that were just as good as Clyde that ended up leaving for off the court problems . Probably the single most Athletic team in college basketball ever .

Reactions: Gradstudent
If you like the NC State one, you have to watch the other side, 30 for 30, Phi Slamma Jamma and Bennie Anders, the way Houston got Akeem is insane

1980's sports is the best era

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Except the ones about tennis or soccer.

Then you are missing out, you need to see "Hillsborough" about the soccer riot in 1989, amazing, amazing film.

The other best ones in my opinion are

Once Brothers- The story of Valde Divac and Drazen Petrovic
June 17, 1994- Most uniquely done one
The Fab Five
Unguarded- About college basketball player Chris Herren
You Don't Know Bo
Requiem for the Big East- College hoops at is APEX
Of Miracles and Men- A look at the Miracle on Ice from the soviet perspective
Fantastic Lies- About the Duke Lacross case
The Announcement- Magic Johnson announcing he was HIV positive

Huge upset of Phi Slama Jama. They were considered almost unbeatable.

I remember watching that game, and was as stunned as everyone else when Whittenburg's desperation shot just before the buzzer was caught and dunked by Lorenzo (Charles?) at the buzzer. I will say that Houston's "Phi Slama Jama" team was a heck of a lot of fun to watch though.

Reactions: rogue cock
Hungry like the Wolf was their theme song that year!!!! Lowe and Whittenburg were shooting the 3 before there was a 3 point line :)

The ACC was using an experimental 3 point line that season, but it wasn't in use in the NCAA, overall. The line the ACC used was very close in - I remember the 3 point line they used that year was even inside the top of the key. I thought the lack of the 3 point line would cost State in the NCAAT, but as we all know, it didn't. Houston had loads of talent that year, but I think Jimmy Valvano was a much better coach and motivator than Guy Lewis. In his defense, though, he did end a long winning streak by UCLA in 1968.

Biggest beat down I've ever seen a carolina team do was USA couple years ago
South Alabama hadn't beaten #7 Clemson in Tater Town the week before. That NC State team wasn't great, but they had started to turn the corner and with the big win at Clemson the week before, they were expected to be a huge test for the Gamecocks. Not so. It wasn't just a dominating performance, but a vengeful one. I'd never seen anything like it before or since from a Gamecock team.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Then you are missing out, you need to see "Hillsborough" about the soccer riot in 1989, amazing, amazing film.

The other best ones in my opinion are

Once Brothers- The story of Valde Divac and Drazen Petrovic
June 17, 1994- Most uniquely done one
The Fab Five
Unguarded- About college basketball player Chris Herren
You Don't Know Bo
Requiem for the Big East- College hoops at is APEX
Of Miracles and Men- A look at the Miracle on Ice from the soviet perspective
Fantastic Lies- About the Duke Lacross case
The Announcement- Magic Johnson announcing he was HIV positive

You don't even have my all time favorite, "The best that never was" about Marcus Dupree, my wife was in tears by the end as he loaded his truck in the cold Mississippi morning.

Probably the single most Athletic team in college basketball ever .

That is definitely arguable, but I'd say this group would have something to say about it.

1989-90-team.jpg

1980's sports is the best era

You are wise beyond your years, my young apprentice.

I can watch any 30 for 30 or SEC Storied documentaries. They are very well made

Agreed. All except for the one about the Hernandez brothers. I think you pretty much have to read the whole thing because it's in Spanish.

South Alabama hadn't beaten #7 Clemson in Tater Town the week before. That NC State team wasn't great, but they had started to turn the corner and with the big win at Clemson the week before, they were expected to be a huge test for the Gamecocks. Not so. It wasn't just a dominating performance, but a vengeful one. I'd never seen anything like it before or since from a Gamecock team.

This.

Probably won't be done, since HBO already did it (and did it quite well).

When did this happen? Can you link it?

You don't even have my all time favorite, "The best that never was" about Marcus Dupree, my wife was in tears by the end as he loaded his truck in the cold Mississippi morning.

I am not from the south and not the biggest college football fan so that one did not resonate with me as much, but it was a very good doc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT