ADVERTISEMENT

4.4 million dollars

R

Reddfoxx1

Are we really going to pay Muschamp 4.4 million if we don’t play football this season?
It’s lunacy.

Agree 100 prct. They should all go without pay till this is over. At least all making high 6 figures and above.

He agreed to a pay cut for last year. Not sure if that will continue for this year.

If ya’ll had a signed contract promising you millions, how many of you would forego 100% of it? Unless there is a provision for pandemic suspensions in there, I would not ask or expect him to avoid taking any of that money, and as someone said above I believe most of our coaches accepted a slight Pay cut already. That is fine with me... If they want to voluntarily give back more? Just raises my opinion if them but I certainly am not going to say they “SHOULD” do it or think less of them if they do not. They are being paid the going rate for their services and if we expect to have a coach in the future (be it THESE COACHES or their replacements one day) we damn well better honor the contracts we are committed to today as long as the University can. I assure you they will cut out “secondary” sports to keep our top 3-4 sports going before they would stop paying Muschamp, Martin, Kingston, Staley... Or even ask them to take bigger cuts. Just ask Stanford how those decisions work.

If ya’ll had a signed contract promising you millions, how many of you would forego 100% of it? Unless there is a provision for pandemic suspensions in there, I would not ask or expect him to avoid taking any of that money, and as someone said above I believe most of our coaches accepted a slight Pay cut already. That is fine with me... If they want to voluntarily give back more? Just raises my opinion if them but I certainly am not going to say they “SHOULD” do it or think less of them if they do not. They are being paid the going rate for their services and if we expect to have a coach in the future (be it THESE COACHES or their replacements one day) we damn well better honor the contracts we are committed to today as long as the University can. I assure you they will cut out “secondary” sports to keep our top 3-4 sports going before they would stop paying Muschamp, Martin, Kingston, Staley... Or even ask them to take bigger cuts. Just ask Stanford how those decisions work.
Lifer, for once I totally agree with you.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Lifer, for once I totally agree with you.
SEE- I am not always a divisive blowhard! LMAO
Sports are a much more pleasant subject to discuss. I am going to do my best to focus on sports topics more going forward. I think we are all getting a bit too swept up in the mess of the world and sports are BACK BABY!! (Probably temporarily if baseball is any indication, so I am going to try to enjoy it!)

Reactions: importcock
He doesn’t only work 12 days a year. There’s a lot that goes on every day for the coaches. He agreed to the pay cut, I’m fine with him getting his agreed upon salary. Now paying him $4.4M in the first place?!? I may have a problem with that.

He doesn’t only work 12 days a year. There’s a lot that goes on every day for the coaches. He agreed to the pay cut, I’m fine with him getting his agreed upon salary. Now paying him $4.4M in the first place?!? I may have a problem with that.
Good point

Much like businesses, this unfortunate time gives folks the opportunity to make decisions that they didn’t have the cajones to make before...but with a reason.

Step up or step out. That’s the way I see it at least...

For what it’s worth, that’s what real businesses have to do. If you are a marginally employee and have other considerations, then you do what you have to do.

We will see how good our university is at managing in times like these...

Nobody is saying forego ALL of it.
But if we don’t have games, then the source of revenue to pay said 4.4 million dries up. This goes for all coaches. Not just ours

Exactly- no games no pay for coaches is like saying an AD’s only job is hiring and firing coaches! Both do a lot more than those very small parts of their jobs. Games for coaches and hiring/firing for ADs may be what the public sees and what we judge them by, but they all work hard year round..

But if we don’t have games, then the source of revenue to pay said 4.4 million dries up. This goes for all coaches. Not just ours
I see that logic, to a degree, but again we have signed up for a contract, and I doubt there is a pandemic exemption. If we go ripping up our football coach’s contract when we have a bit of trouble before exhausting every other option first (do we REALLY need multiple volleyball teams?? Who here has ever been to a women’s soccer game or... You get the point)... We are putting ourselves in a position where future potential hires may not trust the offers we make. With legitimate reason! If we DID have pandemic clauses in their contracts, we would have already heard of it and probably already cashed them in right? Wish we had bought pandemic insurance like Wimbledon had! Might be a good buy going forward seeing the precedent set by our reaction to Covid.

Sorry, but his contract is legal and enforceable and has to be honored based on contract law. It is not his fault the games are being cancelled. In a case like you describe the University has to eat it. If they do not have the funds to pay the contract, then they have to suffer the consequences, just like a lot of businesses have had to do during the pandemic. If they become insolvent then they may have to file for bankruptcy protection.
During the recession many businesses, through no fault of their own, were forced into bankruptcy. Others could not make the payments on their property and lost the property to foreclosure. Sure it's a tough break, but that's the risk you take when you enter into contracts.

there are over 300 people employed by the athletics department - I'm sure like most other small cooperation's that are losing money there will be pay cuts and/or layoffs if they aren't making money

There will be no reduction in pay unless Muschamp initiates it for PR purposes. A contract is a contract. Easily enforceable in any court.

I don’t think Muschamp is worth paying $50,000, however he has a contract, and it’s not his decision not to play. Maybe if the decision makers were the ones paying the salaries they would decide a different way.

Of course he shouldn't go totally unpaid. We still expect him to recruit and do other things for the program.

Muschamp is missing an opportunity to earn some PR points. He should delay his salary and take no pay if there is no football in 2020. Just simply defer payment to 2021 and get $8M+. Or, just get 2020’s salary paid when he gets fired and contract bought out. Either way gets paid but school gets the $4M off their books for 2020.

It doesn’t really matter though. He’ll get his $4M either way......$1M per win.

there are over 300 people employed by the athletics department - I'm sure like most other small cooperation's that are losing money there will be pay cuts and/or layoffs if they aren't making money
Again- see Stanford. 11 sports cut from the budget. FB was NOT ONE OF THEM obviously...

I agree completely. There was a discussion earlier about a "force majeure" clause and whether it would be enforceable because of the pandemic. I read Muschamp's original contract from 2015 and there is no "force majeure" language in that contract. I doubt they added it to his new contract, but I suppose it is possible. Other than appealing to these coaches sense of fair play I don't see a contract basis to force any coach to take less than what was agreed to.

Do you not think there are good coaches out there in the 4.5 to 5 million per year price range?
Name one we could get. Before you do that though- keep in mind we have lost a TON of money and are about to lose millions more on ticket revenue this season, assuming we play at all... If we do not play at all, we lose ticket revenue AND TV revenue potentially... Which if combined with what we lost because basketball was shut down early... Basically accounts for our ENTIRE ATHLETIC REVENUE FOR THE YEAR...

So on top basically making no money this year (running a huge deficit IOW), we are supposed to fire Muschamp, pay his buy out and then pay another coach? I don’t doubt we could find other guys to take the job, I doubt we can afford to find another guy to take it, certainly not one that is guaranteed to be better than what we have... Nick Saban is not coming to SC. Urban Meyer is not trying to jump back into coaching at SC in the midst of a pandemic for chump change compared to what he was making... Same for Stoops or anyo other big name out there. Long way of saying- there is no other option currently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT