ADVERTISEMENT

60 Minutes story about CTE

Triton20x

Feb 1, 2008
Saying they are finding CTE in military personnel that have been in combat zones more specific those that have had an explosion around them since they are having effects.

But now there is a Dr. that says she has found a biomarker that predisposed people to the condition.

They definitely eluded to the fact that determining factors may be genetics as much as trauma, or I should say a combination of both. But the also say that what they see is a build up of proteins in areas but not sure they can drive emotions.

It was interesting needless to say. I have always been skeptical about the severity of CTE caused by head trauma under daily exercise. Research tries to point at NFL, but I think it's more to it as in maybe trauma under 5yrs old causes more damage later in life?

Reactions: lawcalcock
Saying they are finding CTE in military personnel that have been in combat zones more specific those that have had an explosion around them since they are having effects.

But now there is a Dr. that says she has found a biomarker that predisposed people to the condition.

They definitely eluded to the fact that determining factors may be genetics as much as trauma, or I should say a combination of both. But the also say that what they see is a build up of proteins in areas but not sure they can drive emotions.

It was interesting needless to say. I have always been skeptical about the severity of CTE caused by head trauma under daily exercise. Research tries to point at NFL, but I think it's more to it as in maybe trauma under 5yrs old causes more damage later in life?
I don't think I finished my point, if it is found in military guys, they have not necessarily been abused on daily basis. Maybe one gard hit as you grow up causes it? Or maybe it is just genetic?

Point is we don't know, and these knee jerk reactions drive me crazy!

I don't think I finished my point, if it is found in military guys, they have not necessarily been abused on daily basis. Maybe one gard hit as you grow up causes it? Or maybe it is just genetic?

Point is we don't know, and these knee jerk reactions drive me crazy!
Not sure you could call it knee-jerk. NFL has known about it for years and downplayed it. How many years ago did Seau take his life? Almost 10.

I don't see how incessant blows to the head can be good for a person, regardless of what one calls the malady which might result.
But now a three year stint in a war zone may cause CTE? I have shot guns, played football, wrestled, etc. Point being, good or not, maybe it isn't just playing football that causes it.

They have also shown that boxers have thicker skulls than normal people. So maybe the body can react to trauma, and maybe CTE isn't caused by trauma.

Maybe it is a normal reaction to super competitive people? But that there defines my point, "we don't know!"

Not sure you could call it knee-jerk. NFL has known about it for years and downplayed it. How many years ago did Seau take his life? Almost 10.
One person don't make it fact! How many people that only played video games their whole life have committed suicide? Probably a lot more than football players?

One person don't make it fact! How many people that only played video games their whole life have committed suicide? Probably a lot more than football players?
If you think it was only one person, then you're ignoring what's really happening. And the autopsies of the NFL players who have killed themselves all show signs of CTE.

But now a three year stint in a war zone may cause CTE? I have shot guns, played football, wrestled, etc. Point being, good or not, maybe it isn't just playing football that causes it.

They have also shown that boxers have thicker skulls than normal people. So maybe the body can react to trauma, and maybe CTE isn't caused by trauma.

Maybe it is a normal reaction to super competitive people? But that there defines my point, "we don't know!"

If that's so, why isn't it widely found in basketball and baseball players?

I'm not sure how to respond to all the responses other than: 1) a doctor says it appears certain genetics profiles appear to be more susceptible! 2) Point is if people in other professions are showing signs then maybe there are other contributions to the signs of CTE.

Just because you have signs of CTE don't mean you are suicidal and just because you have CTE don't mean you were a football player!

Hence therefore maybe football isn't the only terrible exercise in the world that causes signs of CTE.

Lastly:;; the most important:: have you noticed that doctors never say they have CTE?? That is because they only understand it as a build up of proteins which they assume comes from trauma. You don't hear them say this person is positive for CTE!! It's because they really don't know for sure that is what causes protein accumulation. They say this person shows signs of CTE. They will also say like in terms of Hernandez, " he had the most signs of CTE of anyone under 30yrs". But if it's signs which they said on 60min, how can it be fact.

There is a new study suggesting maybe certain viruses cause build up of these proteins. True or not? Who knows?

I just can't buy into the fact that football is the demon it's made out to be! It's just the crutch to get attention!

If you think it was only one person, then you're ignoring what's really happening. And the autopsies of the NFL players who have killed themselves all show signs of CTE.
Exact verbiage that needs questioning, "signs of CTE". Signs of something don't mean factual, signs mean it's a possibility! Sign that Drs really don't know! I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but maybe it exists in 50% of the population that is physically active?

The 60min show didn't help the plight against football being a sole factor!

It's also been shown that people who eat more that average have thicker teeth.

Floyd Mayweather is certainly thick headed

Sign that Drs really don't know! I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but maybe it exists in 50% of the population that is physically active!

I don't think it exists because people are physically active, but in people that have repeated blows or shaking of the head.

Look, that kind of thing isn't that "common." Don't want to make anyone's eyes glaze over, but if you are a hunter gatherer (like most people were throughout history), sure you might have an incident where you get your bell rung.

But wearing a helmet and firing off the line of scrimmage and repeatedly knocking that helmet against someone else in practice after practice, game after game? People avoid that kind of thing in "real life," not seek it out.

Most of you guys have done some reading on CTE. These soldiers being knocked around by IED's are different. But the bigger risk for CTE in football players is more the "microimpacts" that linemen undergo every play, as opposed to the marquee Sportscenter hits that KO someone (even though that does it too).

That said, I really wonder what they find if they look at rodeo people. That has to be the worst sport ever devised for producing CTE. I look at that and can just imagine the brain bouncing around inside a skull when someone rides a bull or bronco.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT