ADVERTISEMENT

6pm Kickoff vs UN Carolina 9/3

Do we have to be the 1st game of the year every year? It's gotten stupid, and it will only be 95° at gametime.

Reactions: RayGilda
6 p.m. on a Thursday night for a neutral site game. Absurd. It's almost like each year they try and make the game more difficult to attend and watch. Give it a few years and we'll be opening in Timbuktu at 9:00 am on a Tuesday. A significant amount of the country will be at work or on the way home from work at the time this game is played; thus, I don't entirely buy the argument that it gets us "so much more exposure." The SEC and ESPN refused to release the TV ratings for last year's opener vs. Texas A&M on the SEC Network, but the other big Thursday night opener (Boise St vs. Ole Miss at 8:00 on ESPN) had 2.42 million viewers, which was significantly less than the big Saturday games: 6.4 Alabama/WestVA, 6.03 FSU/OK St, 4.68 Wiscy/LSU, 3.95 UGA/Clemson, 2.92 UCLA/Virginia.

We need to quit playing these opening games on Thursday nights, particularly at such early start times. It reeks of substandard football, and is something I'd expect from a team in the MAC or the Sun Belt. It's not something an SEC team should be doing.

jeff2001 & ipull4usc:
giphy2.gif

I think this will be seven out of the last eight years. Aside from the neutral field it's nothing new. That's definitely going to cut down on attendance.

I guess it's good exposure being the first game and all the "border clash" nonsense that some ascribe to as a big draw. The important thing is if we schedule these games, fine, but you better win. It's a kick in the groin and a downer for Labor Day weekend if you don't.

6 p.m. on a Thursday night for a neutral site game. Absurd. It's almost like each year they try and make the game more difficult to attend and watch. Give it a few years and we'll be opening in Timbuktu at 9:00 am on a Tuesday. A significant amount of the country will be at work or on the way home from work at the time this game is played; thus, I don't entirely buy the argument that it gets us "so much more exposure." The SEC and ESPN refused to release the TV ratings for last year's opener vs. Texas A&M on the SEC Network, but the other big Thursday night opener (Boise St vs. Ole Miss at 8:00 on ESPN) had 2.42 million viewers, which was significantly less than the big Saturday games: 6.4 Alabama/WestVA, 6.03 FSU/OK St, 4.68 Wiscy/LSU, 3.95 UGA/Clemson, 2.92 UCLA/Virginia.

We need to quit playing these opening games on Thursday nights, particularly at such early start times. It reeks of substandard football, and is something I'd expect from a team in the MAC or the Sun Belt. It's not something an SEC team should be doing.

Mack Brown proclaimed that Spurrier was classless. The following quote was Spurrier’s reply. “Why? I’ve got a better record on that field than he does”.

lets continue it in Charlotte

hey. I don't schedule these games, I just tailgate @ em, b4 & after!:)

Do we have to be the 1st game of the year every year? It's gotten stupid, and it will only be 95° at gametime.

I enjoy being the first game of the season and hopefully we are eventually known as the team that begins college football.

But 6pm? Most Californians will still be on their lunch breaks at that time.

I do believe if USC had known this game would be 6 pm on a Thursday, they would not have agreed to play in the game. It is one thing to have a home game at 6 pm on Thursday (still not good), but to have one 80 miles away is crazy. Now for me, this game is actually a little closer to home than Columbia.

I don't have a problem with a Thursday night opener especially in a match up like this. It would be easy for a game against UNC to get lost in the shuffle on an opening Saturday. That said, add me to the list of whiners who think a 6 pm kickoff on a Thursday night is way too early. Put it at 7:30 or 8:00.

Most of us would be there if it was a 6 am kick......Its not like a 6 pm kick will interfere with UN Carolina athletes and their classwork!

Attendance will be OK. Sucks for me, because that's the same time JV's play.

Just hope were physically prepared to play. We are notorious for slow starts. I don't think it's a bad thing being a part of a handful of Thursday night games but isn't it about time we got one of those chick filet kick off games in the 72 degree georgia dome?

If it's an 8 pm kick people complain that they're home too late on a work/school night. If it's 6 pm it's too early.

Keep thinking this game won't be a sell-out & you're fooling yourselves. Plenty of CLT-area fans like me will likely walk from work to the stadium. For me it doesn't get any more convenient.

The game in Charlotte will be very convenient for me as well (Rock Hill). The game time should be great for the kids that we are recruiting as most of them are in our time zone and have class the next day. I can't recall how many kids are on our list that are in California?

The game in Charlotte will be very convenient for me as well (Rock Hill). The game time should be great for the kids that we are recruiting as most of them are in our time zone and have class the next day. I can't recall how many kids are on our list that are in California?

It's not always for recruitment. It's also for national prestige.

We're playing at 2pm in the west coast. That's a large part of the country that won't see us play because they're still at work. Traditional powers (not that we're anywhere close to one) wouldn't play at such an odd time.

The reason to play on a Thursday is to be in the national spotlight. This kickoff time negates that.

"Keep thinking this game won't be a sell-out & you're fooling yourselves. Plenty of CLT-area fans like me will likely walk from work to the stadium. For me it doesn't get any more convenient."

This is tremendously laughable. Just a couple years ago, when we had a badass nationally ranked team with Gilmore and Clowney and all that crowd, we opened the season in Charlotte against East Carolina -- a school from North Carolina which has a much more fervent football following than UNC -- and the game was NOWHERE NEAR sold out.

I don't expect any different this year with the expectations for our team being much lower and UNC having finished last year on a very sour note, plus we now have this 6 p.m. start time.

All that said, I'll be there.

"Keep thinking this game won't be a sell-out & you're fooling yourselves. Plenty of CLT-area fans like me will likely walk from work to the stadium. For me it doesn't get any more convenient."

This is tremendously laughable. Just a couple years ago, when we had a badass nationally ranked team with Gilmore and Clowney and all that crowd, we opened the season in Charlotte against East Carolina -- a school from North Carolina which has a much more fervent football following than UNC -- and the game was NOWHERE NEAR sold out.

I don't expect any different this year with the expectations for our team being much lower and UNC having finished last year on a very sour note, plus we now have this 6 p.m. start time.

We were at that game against East Carolina. You are right, attendance was a joke. By USC standards, it was like sitting in an empty stadium,

It is laughable. The announced attendance will differ from actual attendance by thousands. A lot of the tickets will go unused by corporations. It happens here in Atlanta all the time. But it's a great buying opportunity as a ton of those tickets end up on the street. One could probably get two for one or better. I understand folks who want security of tickets in hand but if it's a strictly a money thing you'd be crazy to buy in advance for this one.

I certainly hope you're right, but I don't see where our fans are foaming at the mouth to face North Carolina in football anymore than we would East Carolina, as far as a neutral site game is concerned. But, again, I'd love to see a good crowd.

I certainly hope you're right, but I don't see where our fans are foaming at the mouth to face North Carolina in football anymore than we would East Carolina, as far as a neutral site game is concerned. But, again, I'd love to see a good crowd.

Carolina people in their mid-30s & older crave matchups vs. the Tar Holes.

Carolina people in their mid-30s & older crave matchups vs. the Tar Holes.

Uh, not me. I don't look at it as a rivalry, border war or anything like that. It's strange to me that people still hang on to it that way though I know some folks who do.

To me it's a matchup from the past Watergate and Nixon times and those days are long over. Rather play someone good that we've never played before from some other region of the country.

No self-respecting SEC team should be playing at 6 p.m. on a Thursday, particularly a neutral-site game.

That time slot should be reserved for teams in the MAC, Sun Belt, etc.

Reactions: rockingamecock
No self-respecting SEC team should be playing at 6 p.m. on a Thursday, particularly a neutral-site game.

That time slot should be reserved for teams in the MAC, Sun Belt, etc.
Agree our dumb obsession to be 1st.

Good thing scar is not a self respecting sec team. Who do u think u are? Alabama, LSU, auburn? Not quite. Just because u had 3 good seasons does not change the fact that y'all are perennial bottom feeders in the sec. Y'all are the perfect team to play a Thursday night opener. Just like a MAC team or a sunbelt team.

We're not Alabama or LSU.. but we sure as hell aren't Clemson.

Now go rant about that.

Good thing scar is not a self respecting sec team. Who do u think u are? Alabama, LSU, auburn? Not quite. Just because u had 3 good seasons does not change the fact that y'all are perennial bottom feeders in the sec. Y'all are the perfect team to play a Thursday night opener. Just like a MAC team or a sunbelt team.
Good to see the tatertards coming out the closet it's been a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT