ADVERTISEMENT

8 years ago tonight...

Whit+Merrifield+College+World+Series+aASryBpAlAfl.jpg

Oral Herschister is probably still crying. What a UCLA homer he was. I got so sick of hearing about UCLA’s hats. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 92Pony
What I was thinking is...If I were UCLA, I would would walk Merrifield and JBJ, and try to induce a ground ball out of Christian Walker...Try and turn two, and get out of the inning. They decided to pitch to Whitt, and the rest is history.

Reactions: SCGCock07
What I was thinking is...If I were UCLA, I would would walk Merrifield and JBJ, and try to induce a ground ball out of Christian Walker...Try and turn two, and get out of the inning. They decided to pitch to Whitt, and the rest is history.

Murderers Row!

Notice how full those stands were compared to what we saw the other night? And it's not all about stadium size, either.
There were lots of empty seats at the CWS this year. People just aren't attending games like they used to.

I think most people would agree, it was a foolish call to pitch to Whit. He was struggling that night, but you still have to load the bases there and try to induce a ground ball with a drawn in infield. Their closer was also beginning to tire out it seemed.

I'm not sure what went through that coaches head, but I'm sure glad they decided to pitch to him.

Last edited:
There were lots of empty seats at the CWS this year. People just aren't attending games like they used to.
This is sort of unfair. My dentist is a huge Arkansas fan, and he made the trip to Omaha. But with the constant weather delays, he couldn't commit to staying. I suspect this had an impact.

Reactions: atl-cock
Will never forget it. The next day I had hernia surgery. When I woke up in recovery there was a guy in the room wearing a Gamecock hat. Don't know if he was a nurse or orderly or what. I slurred, "how bout those Gamecocks!", then promptly conked out again.

Last edited:
myrtlecockWell-Known Member

Murderers Row!

Yea...Three guys playing in the MLB now. Plus...Marzilli (sacrifice bunt to get Wingo to third) is at AAA for Reno (Dbacks).

Reactions: myrtlecock
I remember it like it was yesterday, it was close to the 4th of July so firework stands were already open, and when we won I remember hearing fireworks all around me going off, great memories.

Reactions: SCGCock07
Will never forget it. The next day I had hernia surgery. When I woke up in recovery there was a guy in the room wearing a Gamecock hat. Don't know if he was a nurse or orderly or what. I slurred, "how bout those Gamecocks!", then promptly conked out again.

Dang.. Surgery the next day.. Imagine if we had gone to a Game 3...

It was a wonderful experience to win the national championship in the last game at Rosenblatt. We were sitting in the stands on the third base side along with of of Carolina fans when it happened. My wife and I looked at each other with the the unbelievable wonderful dismay that we had just won a national championship. We all congregated behind the third base dugout listening to Coach Tanner and he invited all of us to the Embassy Suites to celebrate wit the team which we did and got lots of great photos with Tanner, players and the trophy. They has champagne to celebrate but the celebration ran too late as Omaha had a law against dispensing alcoholic beverages after a certain time and we were beyond that. We ended up eating an early breakfast at a Perkins restaurant before heading back to our hotel. The next day (Wednesday) we saw the team load into the buses, rode back to Rosenblatt one more time and headed back to Columbia. It was a magical trip and time plus we went back the next two years for the championship series. We are planning to drive one more time then will probably start flying. My daughters gave me a large framed display of our tickets, pictures and the poster from the State.

Had a morning surgery (10am+-) of about 3 hours I'm told. After recovery i was in a private room with TV, complete w/ESPN. I had made sure about it when we advanced. You might say that I had "covered all the bases", just in case.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT