ADVERTISEMENT

80% recruiting, 20% coaching.

mUSCle Gamecock

Jan 28, 1999
Hey it’s the dead period, so let me just throw this out there. There are only a few teams that get the top recruits and they are by and large the teams that win national championships. Coaching has its place but elite recruits will make up for even mediocre coaching.

Hey it’s the dead period, so let me just throw this out there. There are only a few teams that get the top recruits and they are by and large the teams that win national championships. Coaching has its place but elite recruits will make up for even mediocre coaching.
Who's to say those programs don't also have the best coaches?

If that's the formula then programs without a legacy of winning championships are doomed to eternal mediocrity. An actual record of success tends to attract the best recruits.

“Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n.” ~Bum Phillips

There’s only so much a coach (and the player) can accomplish with/without talent. The greatest teacher and strategist isn’t going to win if his players are physically mismatched.

At the least, you have to recruit talent that is close enough to the top competition to be able to compete. Then, if one coaching staff is better at maximizing potential and doing what it takes to win, they have a chance.

It’s really a 50/50 deal.

I do know that Les Miles had a lot of success at LSU with great recruits. He didn't fair well at all in Kansas. Another LSU coach who had moderate success was Gerry DiNardo. He bombed as well when he went to Indiana.

I do know that Les Miles had a lot of success at LSU with great recruits. He didn't fair well at all in Kansas. Another LSU coach who had moderate success was Gerry DiNardo. He bombed as well when he went to Indiana.
Yep. And then there are the Muschamps of the coaching world that have plenty of talent (LOADED with it, in Florida's case) and can't coach their way out of a wet paper bag.

Reactions: Eddie71 and TAV31
50% players, 40% coaching and 10% positive winning culture.

Great coaches and motivators can get extra effort out of average players. But lousy and unmotivated players can make good coaches look foolish even if the players have talent. Facilities and support (culture) make a difference too.

Who's to say those programs don't also have the best coaches?
I always laugh at certain programs always getting plucked. As if there are 4-5 guys on any one staff better than the other choices you have. They are benefiting from their surroundings for the most part.
The above poster that said 50-40-10 is probably as close as anyone. A place like App St that always punches above their weight aren’t doing it because they always get the magic coaches. And we know they don’t recruit that great. It’s because the expectation is winning. There is no excuses for not. That accounts for something.

But a team that isn't in that top tier can join it with a charismatic coach and a few good years.

I know y'all love to trash Dabo but when he took over Clemson hadn't won a conference championship in 17 years. Since then he has 9 in 12 years, plus 2 NCs.

When Hawkins took over Boise State it had one conf championship since 1981. Suddenly it was a national contender under both Hawkins and Peterson.

It isn't easy to take a step up, but can be done.

But a team that isn't in that top tier can join it with a charismatic coach and a few good years.

I know y'all love to trash Dabo but when he took over Clemson hadn't won a conference championship in 17 years. Since then he has 9 in 12 years, plus 2 NCs.

When Hawkins took over Boise State it had one conf championship since 1981. Suddenly it was a national contender under both Hawkins and Peterson.

It isn't easy to take a step up, but can be done.
Situations are different. It's a lot easier to build a winner in the Mountain West when all you have to do is beat other Mountain West teams. How much success did Hawkins have at Colorado? Dabo took over at Clemson when the toughest competition was GT. I've pointed out plenty of times that for 5 straight seasons we were clearly better than Clemson and proved it on the field. In those same seasons we were going to Outback and Citrus Bowls while Clemson was winning ACC titles and playing in BCS games because of their inferior competition. They got better recruits because of it. If we would have just beaten Clemson the year before the 5-peat started we might never have had to deal with Dabo's Clemson.

I’m somewhat torn about the percentage. In our current situation, we need to have some success initially (beyond most would expect for this coming season),with what we have currently on the team. That part is more coaching. If that were to happen, the recruiting would become easier. Then it is a more balanced deal;50/50. It’s all about winning football games.

Muschamp put a lot of guys in the NFL and his teams sucked. Maybe the equation is a bit too simplistic. I'll go 65-35.

I’ve been saying this for years - that’s why Saban can replace multiple coaches ever year and never miss a beat.

I always laugh at certain programs always getting plucked. As if there are 4-5 guys on any one staff better than the other choices you have. They are benefiting from their surroundings for the most part.
The above poster that said 50-40-10 is probably as close as anyone. A place like App St that always punches above their weight aren’t doing it because they always get the magic coaches. And we know they don’t recruit that great. It’s because the expectation is winning. There is no excuses for not. That accounts for something.
Through the last 3 HCs (Moore, Satt to Eli) and not including the present HC....They recruit very well. They are smart recruiters. They go get a Dexter Coakley who is the best player on the field....but is 5'9. I feel like USC was doomed the last 7-8 years because we fell into the late 90s/early 2000s FSU trap (on a lower level). Just taking random 6'3 190 lb WRs and 6'2 225 LBs with 3-4 stars b/c their measurables fit categories, instead of them being the right fit, with the needed moxy/work ethic/talent/drive/size ratio. Those intangibles are everything...and ASU has done great over the last 25-30 years at getting those guys...usually at the expense of 2 inches and 25 lbs light as an overlooked HS senior for bigger D1 programs.

To run your X'sand O's, you gotta have Jimmy's and Joe's. Good athletes without good coaches won't win. Good coaches can't win without good players
I agree. But good coaches can identify good players that may have been overlooked. Talent evaluation can help if you are not a team that routinely has high recruiting classes. It is not easy though.

N
There’s only so much a coach (and the player) can accomplish with/without talent. The greatest teacher and strategist isn’t going to win if his players are physically mismatched.

At the least, you have to recruit talent that is close enough to the top competition to be able to compete. Then, if one coaching staff is better at maximizing potential and doing what it takes to win, they have a chance.

It’s really a 50/50 deal.
Not necessarily true. Great coaches use strategy to their advantage. Take for instance the development of the spread offense. It’s designed to create holes and seems against a superior defense. In fact great coaches design most plays to match your strength against an opponents weakness. I don’t care how good your players are, if all you do is line up and run right up the middle, you’ll lose. Unless you have the Waterboy.

N

Not necessarily true. Great coaches use strategy to their advantage. Take for instance the development of the spread offense. It’s designed to create holes and seems against a superior defense. In fact great coaches design most plays to match your strength against an opponents weakness. I don’t care how good your players are, if all you do is line up and run right up the middle, you’ll lose. Unless you have the Waterboy.
Thus the 50/50. The counter to your point is, I don’t care how creative, inventive, and detail oriented a coach is, if his players are smaller, slower, weaker, and less skilled, their opponents will physically overwhelm them.

Thus the 50/50. The counter to your point is, I don’t care how creative, inventive, and detail oriented a coach is, if his players are smaller, slower, weaker, and less skilled, their opponents will physically overwhelm them.
Correct. Those things may help win games in regular season, but if talking national championships, you have to know the Ohio states, Clemsons, Alabamas with millions to spend are going to have creative, inventive and detail oriented coaches too. If your players are smaller, slower, weaker, you can't win, despite great coaching.

Correct. Those things may help win games in regular season, but if talking national championships, you have to know the Ohio states, Clemsons, Alabamas with millions to spend are going to have creative, inventive and detail oriented coaches too. If your players are smaller, slower, weaker, you can't win, despite great coaching.
There wasn't a lot innovative about Alabama's offenses in the mid to late 2000s. It was pretty much smashmouth football. They lined up and out-physicalled everyone.

I'd say the percentages correlate and can compensate for each other. Take our 2011 defense, and I could go as high as 80% talent, 20% coaching. But fast forward to 2014, and I'd have to say 20% talent, and 20% coaching. The talent level is the true constant.

I'd say the percentages correlate and can compensate for each other. Take our 2011 defense, and I could go as high as 80% talent, 20% coaching. But fast forward to 2014, and I'd have to say 20% talent, and 20% coaching. The talent level is the true constant.
What does that make Muschamp, 5% coaching?

I doubt anybody on this board would put him in double digits.
I think to be fair, head coaches don't do the coaching, their assistants do. So the proper criticism of Muschamp is not he doesn't coach, but instead he didn't putting the right assistant coaches in place, hiring friends and comfort hires rather than top developers of the talent. Look at who Saban hires. He doesn't hire his friends or buddies. He hires the best and holds them to a high standard. The relationship Saban has with assistants is almost adversarial, not buddy-buddy. They know they will coach on a winner, coordinators will get hired by other teams as head coaches (see Smart and Sarkisian) and position coaches as coordinators. Saban just reloads.

You're probably the closest, but I'd say it's 50% players, 25% coaching, and 25% culture. Like it or not, Clemson did a ton with significantly worse players (by recruiting metrics) about 5 years ago. Saban got a ton of success at Alabama right out of the back before he got his guy's in there by bringing a very specific kind of culture. On the other side, look at Georgia. They're always top 2-3 in recruiting and they've averaged recruiting in the top 5-10 range for 50+ years. Kirby probably is a top 5-10 coach, as was Richt. But Georgia really has accomplished very little this century because they've always had such a trash culture of felons and selfish players.

If Georgia played in the ACC and Clemson in the SEC in the playoff era, then Georgia would have been ever bit as successful as Clemson has the last 6 years.

Beyond the playoff era, I think it's fair to say that Georgia has been a better program than Clemson.

Has UGA underachieved in the last 30 years? Probably. I'm at the point, however, that I no longer believe UGA or Texas are potentially dominate programs. They need show me.

80% coaching and 20% recruiting. A bad coach like Muschamp can take a team of 5 stars and make it look like no stars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT