ADVERTISEMENT

A 24 point loss to Coastal???

Coastal played in control and disciplined. Carolina threw up shots wherever and whenever and their passsing was gosh awful. Several times it was a pass to a Coastal player with no Carolina player even within 10 ft. I will say it was worst I have seen Carolina look in the last several years since final four run. They looked awful and then to have a player throw the ball at head of coastal player shows they could have cared less about doing anything good. Granted coastal player threw ball first but Gray was a punk in return. Frank was livid and he and whole team should have been embarrassed by every aspect of that game. Not one player looked good for Carolina. I like Frank a lot, I really do but he really will not and should not survive after this season if that is what they put on the court at any point again this year.

I read where (once again) Frank said they had a lousy practice before the game. How many times have we heard that and who's job is it to make sure that doesn't happen? Head coach yelling, screaming, or sitting on the bench pouting (just guessing). Then to tell his team they'll lose by 20 if they play like they practice. How about saying something positive instead of negativity as a normal. I believe in a good ass chewing once in a while if necessary but how about some encouragement and positive reinforcement also. He may do just that but haven't seen any evidence to support that claim.

We will never have a good team with Frank Martin as coach.
This^^^^all day. 1,000% true. The only question is how long will our AD and BOT allow the embarrassments to continue.

Last night should be the final straw. And another loss to Clemson in a men's sport is coming soon.

Reactions: SweetgrassVodka
Coastal played in control and disciplined. Carolina threw up shots wherever and whenever and their passsing was gosh awful. Several times it was a pass to a Coastal player with no Carolina player even within 10 ft. I will say it was worst I have seen Carolina look in the last several years since final four run. They looked awful and then to have a player throw the ball at head of coastal player shows they could have cared less about doing anything good. Granted coastal player threw ball first but Gray was a punk in return. Frank was livid and he and whole team should have been embarrassed by every aspect of that game. Not one player looked good for Carolina. I like Frank a lot, I really do but he really will not and should not survive after this season if that is what they put on the court at any point again this year.
There's no defense of Frank for the way the team played last night; however, he at least yelled at Gray for being an idiot.

This was typical, stubborn Frank at his worst. College basketball is as much about energy and effort, but sometimes your guys just don’t have it. But you can still win.

They couldn’t keep up with the cutters and movement, guys where confused. Just play zone. Fold into your basic zone concept that shrinks the passing lanes and protects the basket. They aren’t a good shooting team, make them beat you with jump shots and grind the game to generate fewer possessions overall. But Frank doesn’t have that basic, we’re in trouble zone look. He wants to play man and hedge everything to the interior. And so in a game like this, where his guys are low energy and confused, he gives up all sorts of easy baskets and 38 free throws to a bad team. Frank’s a guy who has no plan B and for all intents and purposes isn’t doing anything to impact the game other than making angry substitutions.

There's no defense of Frank for the way the team played last night; however, he at least yelled at Gray for being an idiot.
It is good that he did that. But that cost cost him nothing. A layup, in basketball terms.

As for watching/listening to the game, I'm very thankful that I had Christmas decorations to finish putting up. 😒

Reactions: Gradstudent
I think the football team keeps it closer than the basketball team for sure. They really tanked in the second half. Lack of leadership can be a real problem that surfaces when you have big turnover in the roster every year. You need those leaders to step up during a game to stop those bad runs from turning into a 24 point loss to team picked 5th in a mid-major conference.

They also celebrated Cliff Ellis' 800th win before the game he is 1 of only 13 coaches to achieve that for div 1.

I like the way they run their mens programs, I know their AD is not over football but I still like him better than Tanner, seems his men's programs are always in much better shape. Getting blown out by them in a men's sport doesn't surprise me at all.

Hogue a South Carolina graduate was recently named 2020-21 Athletics Director of the Year by The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA)

Since Hogue was named the director of athletics at Coastal Carolina University in 2015, the CCU athletic teams have won 14 conference regular-season championships as well as 17 conference tournament championships. The baseball team also won the department's first-ever National Championship in 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: caughtlookin
What is the historical perspective for this loss? Obviously, it’s not nearly as devastating as losing to Coppin State in the tournament, but just in terms of bad losses, where does this stand? Larger schools are beat by smaller schools pretty frequently, but Coastal is not very good and they didn’t just fluke to a narrow win. They absolutely bludgeoned us by 24 points. It was a massacre.

Reactions: cockofdawn
What is the historical perspective for this loss? Obviously, it’s not nearly as devastating as losing to Coppin State in the tournament, but just in terms of bad losses, where does this stand? Larger schools are beat by smaller schools pretty frequently, but Coastal is not very good and they didn’t just fluke to a narrow win. They absolutely bludgeoned us by 24 points. It was a massacre.
Will have to wait for the season to play out, but it’s pretty high up there as an embarrassing and unexpected loss given that it finished as a blow-out. Coastal is not expected to be good against their schedule. The only oddity is that it happened in Coastal’s gym. Typically these out of left field losses are head scratchers at home or in the tournament.

I think it's historical in that it fits USC's recent non-conference history to a tee. USC always seems to have a loss to a Wofford, Furman, Big South team, etc. early every year - and that seems to be what puts the early nail in the coffin for the NCAA tourney (even though historically USC tends to play better late in the season).

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I don’t follow basketball but it looks like ol’ Ray may be searching for a new basketball coach soon. (Lord help you basketball fans)

Reactions: cockofdawn
Don't forget the preseason loss to Augusta State a few years ago

And also Princeton this year, Liberty last year, Boston U (not College) in 2019, Stoney Brook and Wofford in 2018, Illinois State in 2017, Charlotte and Akron in 2014, USC-Upstate in 2013, Elon in 2012...

I won't even mention Darrin Horn's tenure. Dropping games to inferior competition early in the season is what USC does.

Reactions: AltoonaSteve
I was at that Boston U game. CFM basically quit coaching that night

And also Princeton this year, Liberty last year, Boston U (not College) in 2019, Stoney Brook and Wofford in 2018, Illinois State in 2017, Charlotte and Akron in 2014, USC-Upstate in 2013, Elon in 2012...

I won't even mention Darrin Horn's tenure. Dropping games to inferior competition early in the season is what USC does.
The loss itself is not so shocking to me, for reasons you mention. But that fact that they vaporized us is pretty shocking.

If this is not a reality check, I don’t know what can be.

Reactions: ToddFlanders
Per usual with Frank. The team looks horrible for the first half of the season. Then slowly improves and actually wins some games you think they wouldn't. But any chances at a tourney bid are killed by embarrassing early season losses. One would think that this trend will no doubt be the end to the Frank Martin tenure. But then again I have thought that for the last two years. With this administration they seem to be satisfied with mediocrity, and sometimes less.

Just remember though (according to many nuts on this board) it's not Ray's fault that we suck (in yet another men's sport) because he doesn't shoot baskets, or make tackles or hit the baseball. He's blameless because he's Ray Tanner. His job isn't to fire anyone. It's to hand out extensions and raises until his contract runs out in 2024 and he can retire on his own terms.

Per usual with Frank. The team looks horrible for the first half of the season. Then slowly improves and actually wins some games you think they wouldn't. But any chances at a tourney bid are killed by embarrassing early season losses. One would think that this trend will no doubt be the end to the Frank Martin tenure. But then again I have thought that for the last two years. With this administration they seem to be satisfied with mediocrity, and sometimes less.
This basically sums up the last 4-5 years under Frank.

Don't forget Stetson and Wyoming.

• Sad
Reactions: usc1855
Frank usually has us eliminated from the tournament before conference play begins. We'll start rolling late but will have to win the SEC Tournament to make The Dance. If not, we won't even make the NIT. It's a broken record.
We have 1, count em 1 SEC tourney win since 2015. Just writing that seems ridiculous! Please don’t count on us winning the SEC tourney.

Times like this are when we all appreciate having an experienced man for an A.D. All the problems will soon go away.

This basically sums up the last 4-5 years under Frank.

And the writing should have been clear withing two years of the Final 4. Most figured that bit of success would help USC immensely on the recruiting trail. But seems like every Power 5 type player in the state since then decided against Columbia. Some never even considered it. Then you saw the signing of some recruits where USC was their only offer from the Power 5 level. It is amazing how the best coaches seem to have the best players. Unfortunately, that isn't the case at USC.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I can’t believe we lost to The Shagger. I’ve always supported CFM, but it’s time for a change.

ADVERTISEMENT