ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of questions about the fake fair catch on the punt return UNT vs Ark.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
1. Did that play have anything to do with the new fair catch rule in college football this year?

2. If a player stops with the ball for whatever reason, either the running back, receiver or punt returner, etc. is the play dead at that point? I don't think it is today but seems like years ago if a player advancing the ball stopped, again for whatever reason, the play was dead at that point. Because, watching the fake fair catch, the punt returner stopped for a second or two.

Nope, you can unload on him if he stops in the field of play. Rules protect the QB depending on how he slides. In this case, the defense was duped.

1. Did that play have anything to do with the new fair catch rule in college football this year?

2. If a player stops with the ball for whatever reason, either the running back, receiver or punt returner, etc. is the play dead at that point? I don't think it is today but seems like years ago if a player advancing the ball stopped, again for whatever reason, the play was dead at that point. Because, watching the fake fair catch, the punt returner stopped for a second or two.

The new fair catch rule is for kickoffs. FSU faked the fair catch signal a few times, player would raise his hand partially then take off. I think there was a rule change specifically to address that.

Often when you have whacky legal plays you tell the Ref staff during the pre-game meeting. So you would tell them to not be premature with whistle.

This happend every time you plan a weird play, give the refs a heads-up, make sure rules are on same page and then they expect it prior to flagging. Just like guy laying in end zone but unfortunately the player through it forward.

Often when you have whacky legal plays you tell the Ref staff during the pre-game meeting. So you would tell them to not be premature with whistle.

This happend every time you plan a weird play, give the refs a heads-up, make sure rules are on same page and then they expect it prior to flagging. Just like guy laying in end zone but unfortunately the player through it forward.

I have heard that a team would typically notify the officials before the game of strange plays but I didn't know for sure if that was the case. But apparently it is the case.

I have heard that a team would typically notify the officials before the game of strange plays but I didn't know for sure if that was the case. But apparently it is the case.

We used to have to remind them about normal plays in the wing T offense. The internal reverse would confuse lots of folks (including the refs & opposing D). We could even get a pitch back to the qb, or throw a quick hitch off the formation.

I personally think this play should be illegal. It was a brilliant play and risky. Nice job to North Texas for pulling it off. But with the new safety rules all over college football I can’t fault the defenders for not tackling him. They are running down, shedding a block, and could’ve easily had missed a fair catch signal had he made one. Allowing this play to happen basically says, when in doubt, plow the returner.

I wonder if he was saying "fair catch" where only the guys right in front could hear. Or something else to make them believe the play was dead. I see it working on one guy, but when you are on the punt coverage team, you dream of blowing guys up. Its not like they all could not see the guy while they were running straight at him and you have to call fair catch after the ball is in the air. Watch #31....he has an unobstructed view from even before he hears the kick.

Either way, good play call. More humiliation for Arkansas.

When the officials meet with each coaching staff pregame they ask if the team has any trick plays and to describe them. Of course the officials do not share those plays with the other team’s head coach.

The tator people always cheet. They also give money away from the wellspring church. My cousins sisters best friend told her that.

They actually do, but you have also been identified as our newest Clemson troll with the Flagship post. I wish Clemson people would just grow up, and perhaps even get a job such that they would have something more important to do.

Graduated high school 94 so it wasn’t that long ago but not exactly yesterday either

I graduated HS in '63 talk about not being yesterday, that definitely was not yesterday.

In fact, I received a e-mail notification today about one of my HS classmates passing away. That makes two of my old classmates that have passed away since our 55th reunion was held in late April of this year.

Last edited:
While I applaud the spirit of this particular play, it seems to me that the punt returner effectively 'gave himself up' by catching the ball and then standing there immobile for a period of time. Reference has already been made to all the ridiculous targeting/unsportsmanlike penalties now being called.

It brings to mind a play in our game against Coastal. A timeout was called just before the Coastal snap, and not everyone heard it. Either Wonnum or Brunson tore into the backfield and leveled the QB. We were flagged for unsportsmanlike or something similar, which turned (I think) a third and long into an automatic first down.

Arky punt coverage has probably been taught to hold up if return guy catches the ball and then makes no effort to run. The assumption is that a fair catch was called...and the current rules related to 'safety' dictate that you don't tackle the guy. I'd even argue that the returner was 'defenseless' through his actions, and therefore shouldn't be hit.

I agree that the logic of the above is nonsensical. However, keep in mind that it doesn't take much to be ejected from a game...and this is the crap that coaches and players now have to consider.

I hated this play. I hate that it’s getting national attention. It just encourages others to follow suit and copy it.

Sad part is if one of the Arky guys would’ve ran 50 yards and drilled him you could bet the house they would have thrown a 15 yard penalty and ejected the Arky player for hitting a defenseless player.

This needs to be outlawed. It’s not “smart” but instead endangering other punt returners.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT