ADVERTISEMENT

A few names for discussion...

Mark Dantonio and Jimbo Fisher are part of Saban's coaching tree, I would say they've done well.

Fisher, btw, wasn't a head coach until he took the FSU position. If a coach without head coach experience was good enough for FSU, then a coach without head coach experience should be good enough for us...if he's the right man for the job.

The fsu name is a draw on its own...in a deeply talented and populated state.
Not the case here...see Brad Scott.

You go after potential difference makers.
Assuming Chip Kelly is too far away on the wish list (because he'd be near the top).

I mean...I'd say go get a top coach in the country like Gary Patterson - a true defensive gem.....if you are looking for immediate results with a shelf life of 10-12 years. Guy is a phenom...and apparently happy at TCU. If he can be happy there, he should be happy here. I must have some secret affinity for former K State players..see immediately below.

Because his Asst. HC/ and run game coordinator working EXTREMELY close with the OL coach (be it Elliot or anyone else) would be Eric Wolford. Why in the h#ll won't we go after actual coaching talent. Dianond in the rough. That OL strength we had the last 3-4 years was a direct result of his targeting and reeling in the 'RIGHT' type of OL players.

So, if we can't land a big fish -How about let's offer Kendal Briles (yes...Art's son) something. Bring him in as Asst. HC/QB coach, and let SOS do what he wants to do (pass the ball 50 times) while he is transitioned over a 2 year period.

No more talk of this C+ or solid B type coaches. I want future stars that may stay. At this point...in 2 or 3 years or whenever it happens I'd take a future star that would stay 4-5 years.

I've been reading where everybody in the Big 12 thinks Baylor is cheating with Kendall Briles being the main culprit.Might not be the direction we need to head in.

mike-leach-icon.jpg

Well Im guessing we need to keep the trend going.. from Lou to Steve to.....
Mack Brown
Bobby Bowden
Joe Pa (from the Grave)
lure Beamer from VT

any others??

just kidding; rich rod, chip kelly, are 2 right off the top of my head.

Well Im guessing we need to keep the trend going.. from Lou to Steve to.....
Mack Brown
Bobby Bowden
Joe Pa (from the Grave)
lure Beamer from VT

any others??
Larry Coker. Jim Tressel. Dennis Erickson. Must have a) national title and b) be eligible for social security.

Just give me a guy who is passionate about the game & winning. Who doesn't take nonsense & who is serious about staying, building this program & getting the best recruits possible. If we do that everything else will fall into place.

Mark Dantonio and Jimbo Fisher are part of Saban's coaching tree, I would say they've done well.

Fisher, btw, wasn't a head coach until he took the FSU position. If a coach without head coach experience was good enough for FSU, then a coach without head coach experience should be good enough for us...if he's the right man for the job.

I thought Dantonio too...esp. being an alum...but he is one of those prizes in the sky I don't think would work. His age/health concerns plus how he's turned that program around steady after years of fluctuation.....I can't believe he'd leave.

@Creek Snake
if Baylor and Briles folks are cheating....then god bless them. They're a bottom 3 enrollment school of all D1 football programs in country, something like that right? If they're cheating, C. Strong and others around Texas and nearby schools need to do whatever they're doing.
Art Briles has been the best offensive mind in college football (and TX and national HS football) for at least 20 years....in which half the country's collegiate teams have borrowed from his playbook and methods...but he's a cheater? Being better doesn't make you cheater. He does more with less.

One person above claimed that we picked the wrong guy from FSU in regards to Brad Scott/Mark Richt. I really don't think it mattered. Whomever is at Georgia with a brain (and that excludes Ray Goff) is going to win a bunch of football games. If they switched places, Brad would probably still be at UGA and Richt would be getting his kids coaching jobs at Clemson.

@Creek Snake
if Baylor and Briles folks are cheating....then god bless them. They're a bottom 3 enrollment school of all D1 football programs in country, something like that right? If they're cheating, C. Strong and others around Texas and nearby schools need to do whatever they're doing.
Art Briles has been the best offensive mind in college football (and TX and national HS football) for at least 20 years....in which half the country's collegiate teams have borrowed from his playbook and methods...but he's a cheater? Being better doesn't make you cheater. He does more with less.

Maybe it was a one time thing.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-art-briles-son-one-game-recruiting-violation

What you're saying about FSU is/was the exact same thing that happened at UF under Spurrier. He never had to leave the state for 80% (or more) of his roster. It's not that SC is difficult to recruit because of the state size but rather you actually have to get out and recruit here. There is no magical fix, even most of the big names have to bust hump on the trail. He should have contacts all throughout the SE, but we aren't exactly killing it in that department. The new guy has to realize recruiting is a year round thing, and that there is a golden opportunity right at his doorstep.

Reactions: jerryusc
yeah, I know about him and the other Baylor coach speaking to a football recruit at a track meet, and it was self reported. LOL....I guess lesson learned. I thought you were talking about something a little more serious. Some Clemson-esque "recruiting" techniques or something.
I like the fact that he was at a d@mn track meet recruiting skill guys personally. Jr. or anyone on our staff ever do this? If so...I'd like for them to land 1-2 of them sometime soon.

The more I read about Tom Herman, the more I like him. The offenses he has produced at Rice, Iowa State and TOSU are amazing and reportedly he is a relentless recruiter.

Herman took his Houston team on the road and beat a Power 5 conference team. The man can COACH.

He currently has the top-ranked recruiting class in his conference. If Houston finishes with the top recruiting class in its conference, that will be the first time that has happened at Houston in over 10 years. The man can RECRUIT.

He was the Offensive Coordinator for 3-time national champion coach Urban Myers, including last season when Meyer won his 3rd national championship.

At 40, he is young and could be our Head Coach for the next 20-30 years.

If Spurrier retires and Tanner hires Tom Herman, it won't be a home run hire. Rather, it would be a grand slam home run hire.

The guy is probably 60 which won't please this thread, but I'd seriously Cutcliffe. He's winning at Duke and that's tougher to do now than it was when SOS did it. He's also recruiting better than he sould given the school involved. Maybe with SEC cash to throw around he could get a couple young hot-shot coordinators (and not a son) one of whom might be the one to follow him.
Id take Cut in a heartbeat

Tom Herman may work out...BUT he may be Butch Jones!!!

This hire is too critical to lean on a guy that has only been the main man 1 year!!!

Vote Gundy: 2016

We got Spurrier because UF upset him. We can in now way drop more money on him than NW. You don't know much about the Big Ten schools evidently. Sure, make a run at him...but he has refused to entertain offers from much bigger schools.

I promise you that NW will not offer the $5M to get him that we can.
And he may say no any way...BUT ASK THESE GUYS! Don't hire some 1 year wonder because you are convinced the good ones won't come.

Kirby Smart does B+ with the best talent in the country. Terrible with fast tempo offenses. UGA's pro-style he will eat up. Too high risk. We have to hire a head coach.
I don't believe Kingsbury or Gundy would leave their alma maters.
1 Wittingham.
2 Hudspeth
3 Dan Mullen at his price.

Here's the truth of the matter...it is of no consequence how many names get bandied about on this board, the final call will reside in the hands of Ray Tanner and the Board of Trustees. I have resigned myself not to worry over this because it is something that I have absolutely no control over. Why stress out over something you have no say so in? I know, it helps relieve some anxiety to vent and speculate, but in the end it is still out of our hands.

I promise you that NW will not offer the $5M to get him that we can.
And he may say no any way...BUT ASK THESE GUYS! Don't hire some 1 year wonder because you are convinced the good ones won't come.
So your strategy is to offer coaches that, while good, are either coaching at their alma maters and/or have turned down offers at bigger programs and, thus, making our ultimate coach our 3rd, 4th, 5th..... choice. And being a 3rd, 4th, 5th choice may just cause a coach to say "Hell No, I'm going where they really want me." Heckuva strategy you've got there.

Here's the truth of the matter...it is of no consequence how many names get bandied about on this board, the final call will reside in the hands of Ray Tanner and the Board of Trustees. I have resigned myself not to worry over this because it is something that I have absolutely no control over. Why stress out over something you have no say so in? I know, it helps relieve some anxiety to vent and speculate, but in the end it is still out of our hands.

Nothing we talk about on this board is actually in our hands. I mean I guess we could post about which concessions we choose to purchase.

Nothing we talk about on this board is actually in our hands. I mean I guess we could post about which concessions we choose to purchase.
That may be true Cock-Vader, but some of these guys get carried away and let it affect their outlook. I prefer to leave it in Tanner's hands since he is the one getting paid the big bucks.

That may be true Cock-Vader, but some of these guys get carried away and let it affect their outlook. I prefer to leave it in Tanner's hands since he is the one getting paid the big bucks.

Meh, it's a message board. Not sure what you are expecting.

You know though... I actually think the fanbase would make a better decision of who to contact than the administration will. Kind of a wisdom of crowds thing.

Be an interesting exercise, a mass internet poll and debate of the fanbase over the course of a couple of weeks. Not like thy don't do that anyway.

But the names I've seen like Herman or Fuentes (and more) make a lot more sense than going after Patterson or a Tommy Tuberville.

But the names I've seen like Herman or Fuentes (and more) make a lot more sense than going after Patterson or a Tommy Tuberville.

You are spot on. We have gone the "mature" route in the past 2 hires. The endings have been nightmares. Some people like to point to the Sparky Woods and Brad Scott hires to argue against hiring the younger up and coming coach. A deeper look at Woods and Scott finds that Scott had never been a college Head Coach. And Woods Head Coach career was spent at a FCS school. And Woods never upset a FBS program while at Appalachian State. All the young up and comer guys mentioned....Herman, Campbell and Rhule.... are all coaching FBS programs. Yes, they are mid-majors. But they are FBS schools. And each of those 3 have coached their teams to upsets of Power 5 conference schools.

The last time we argued about hiring a young up and comer coach from a smaller school, was when we needed to fill our mens basketball coaching position. If memory serves, Gregg Marshall has led his team to a Final Four. When Spurrier retires, lets bring in a coach with the youthful energy to recruit nationally to supplement the usual small number of in-state college prospects. We can't win a conference championship with in-state prospects alone.

Or he may be an Urban Meyer who was at Utah for.......1 year!!!
Precisely!!! Can we take that chance w this hire....I don't think so.
A good hire can maintain and push forward....a bad hire can drive it in the ground.
Just too risky for a 1 year wonder.

ADVERTISEMENT