ADVERTISEMENT

A few names for discussion...

So your strategy is to offer coaches that, while good, are either coaching at their alma maters and/or have turned down offers at bigger programs and, thus, making our ultimate coach our 3rd, 4th, 5th..... choice. And being a 3rd, 4th, 5th choice may just cause a coach to say "Hell No, I'm going where they really want me." Heckuva strategy you've got there.
I guess that is what I am saying.
But I refuse to settle w/o asking.
THIS is where we find out how long Tanners arm is!!!
Can he covertly get feelers out to the top choices w/o making a national media spectacle?
If it ends up being Tom Herman...ok!!

I've been reading where everybody in the Big 12 thinks Baylor is cheating with Kendall Briles being the main culprit.Might not be the direction we need to head in.

Hmmm....so everybody in the Big 12 'thinks' Baylor is cheating? Does the team in the upstate care about what anyone 'thinks' about cheating?
Briles might be EXACTLY the direction we need to head in. Has he been caught cheating? Is Baylor being investigated by the NCAA?
No Guts! No Glory!

Yes... 3 years ago.

kjwnh5n.jpg
Damn. That's funny right there.

I like the young coaches who have shown to be strong recruiters within their conference and have shown to have enough coaching chops to have taken their mid-major program and beaten Power 5 conference programs or scared the manure out of Power 5 conference programs. That means:
Tom Herman
Matt Campbell
Matt Rhule.

A young coach is hungry to work hard to make a name for himself.

If we go the old buzzard route again:
Phil Fulmer
Mack Brown
John Mackovich
Bill Cowher

I declare, if we hire another ole fart, I think I'll die.

You know though... I actually think the fanbase would make a better decision of who to contact than the administration will. Kind of a wisdom of crowds thing.

Be an interesting exercise, a mass internet poll and debate of the fanbase over the course of a couple of weeks. Not like thy don't do that anyway.

But the names I've seen like Herman or Fuentes (and more) make a lot more sense than going after Patterson or a Tommy Tuberville.

That would be an interesting exercise.

What's even more interesting to me is that nobody on here on FGF had Steve Spurrier on the list of potential new coaches in early October of Lou's last season. And, nobody here on FGF had Lou Holtz on the list of potential new coaches in early October of Brad Scott's last season.

It wouldn't surprise me if The HBC's eventual replacement follows that trend is turns out to be someone not even mentioned here right now.

That would be an interesting exercise.

What's even more interesting to me is that nobody on here on FGF had Steve Spurrier on the list of potential new coaches in early October of Lou's last season. And, nobody here on FGF had Lou Holtz on the list of potential new coaches in early October of Brad Scott's last season.

It wouldn't surprise me if The HBC's eventual replacement follows that trend is turns out to be someone not even mentioned here right now.
You're right about Lou Holtz, but I don't think so about Spurrier. He was mentioned quite a bit, even by Clemson fans for a replacement to Bowden. Remember a lot of teams with hot-seat coaches mentioning Spurrier during that time.

I don't know much about Briles, and I haven't read the article yet but I'm sure the Big 12 people are collectively Tejas, who is tired of getting their $&&@& kicked by a school they have probably an 85-15 series lead on. That said, I've never thought of Briles here, but not sure he's the right fit.

Couple of other pro names that might be interesting to consider

Kyle Shanhan in Atlanta, this dude can coach offense, never worked at the college level, but watching jim Mora turn UCLA into a contender has shown it can be done.

Schottenheimer at Georgia, wanted to come to a college job, is supposed to be really good at offense.

Just throwing them out there,

Couple of other pro names that might be interesting to consider

Kyle Shanhan in Atlanta, this dude can coach offense, never worked at the college level, but watching jim Mora turn UCLA into a contender has shown it can be done.

Schottenheimer at Georgia, wanted to come to a college job, is supposed to be really good at offense.

Just throwing them out there,
Actually, Schottenheimer is an interesting candidate. Played QB for Spurrier at FL and has deep NFL ties that should be appealing to recruits. Already got his feet wet in the SEC at UGA as their OC. Definitely could see him as a dark horse candidate.

Hmmm....so everybody in the Big 12 'thinks' Baylor is cheating? Does the team in the upstate care about what anyone 'thinks' about cheating?
Briles might be EXACTLY the direction we need to head in. Has he been caught cheating? Is Baylor being investigated by the NCAA?
No Guts! No Glory!
The thing about Baylor is....if we wanted to look that direction, we should look at the one that brought the scheme to Baylor, PHILLIP MONTGOMERY at TULSA.
Briles' son is the replacement for him.

This announcement brought to you by the Mike Gundy 2016 Foundation

The thing about Baylor is....if we wanted to look that direction, we should look at the one that brought the scheme to Baylor, PHILLIP MONTGOMERY at TULSA.
Briles' son is the replacement for him.

This announcement brought to you by the Mike Gundy 2016 Foundation
Sorry, but that scheme was put into place by Mike Leach and Art Briles at Houston. Montgomery ran it effectively while he was the OC at Baylor. But, he learned it from Art Briles. Art's son is also running it effectively. We all know how you feel about Mike 'I'm a man' Gundy. He would do extremely well here. I just don't think he would be willing to leave his alma mater.

If you want Head Coach experience and the Mumme/ Leach/ Briles offense and someone to tweet smartass remarks to Deebo and who is hirable... and if you like vodka and Red Bull...

that would be Holgorsen.

If you want Head Coach experience and the Mumme/ Leach/ Briles offense and someone to tweet smartass remarks to Deebo and who is hirable... and if you like vodka and Red Bull...

that would be Holgorsen.
I'm hearing Holgerson is on the short list for the Dolphins HC vacancy...

Such a tough decision for our university. I would think Chip Kelly should be our #1 target, but if we can't get him, then I like the ideas of hiring and young up and comer...

You're right about Lou Holtz, but I don't think so about Spurrier. He was mentioned quite a bit, even by Clemson fans for a replacement to Bowden. Remember a lot of teams with hot-seat coaches mentioning Spurrier during that time.

Spurrier wasn't mentioned until the beginning of November of Lou's last year, not early October.

Usually the only time I post is when we are coach shopping and the process really is a numbers game. I figure we can afford to pay 5 million a year but obviously do not prefer to unless someone like Gary Patterson (private but numbers suggest he makes about $4 mil per year), Rich Rod ($1.5-2 mil per), or Chip Kelly ($3.5 mil pere last year at Oregon) is available and interested. You might could pry Rich Rod away with the dough but I am not sure he has the heart for another long term rebuild. Patterson and Kelly are pipe dreams, but you never know if Kelly would get canned and be available like SOS was.

The others are Herman, Campbell, Fuente, etc. I would think all would be available and would make fine coaches, but we don't want to make a Darin Horne mistake here. Herman has the best resume and comes from the Meyer coaching tree so he'd be my pick. Another is Kyle Whittingham but he has been at Utah for some time and I think taking a coach that has been on the west coast and is from out there could be dicey recruiting wise.

Best bets in my mind are Rich Rod (if he'd come) and then Herman.

No coaches w/o some form of head coaching experience need apply.

No opinion on USC having a new coach next year thats up to USC's AD and fans/boosters, I am not sure you are aware to the ties Patterson has to TCU, his wife is on their board of trustees and has enough money that 10 million a year wouldn't be tempting, so if he leaves it won't be because someone made a better offer, divorce most likely. Texas wanted Daddy Briles before they settled on Strong but he wasn't interested, son might be willing to see what he can do on his own. Going with an assistant is a gamble, Muschamp was thought to be the next great head coach by many but bombed as a head coach. Its tough to pull a proven winning head coach from a P5 conference contender. Some head coaches make the move from smaller schools to P5 schools without missing a beat, some struggle. There are no sure things unless you can pull a Saban, Meyer or someone like that and both seem pretty happy where they are, neither school would let them walk without a bidding war. Alabama would drop their DOT to keep Saban there. Good luck with whatever is decided. Peace

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT