ADVERTISEMENT

A fun win, but please, let the facts represent themselves...

GarnetSkiesForever

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Aug 17, 2018
  • One tournament appearance in eight years. An incredible run that was the greatest postseason performance in our program's history. This was huge and Frank should get a lot of credit for it.

• Oh yeah... one tournament appearance in eight years. The greatest postseason run in program history was, all things considered, totally un-capitalized on in retrospect. Most recruits and other programs (rightly) viewed our run as a fluke.

• An overall record of 137-113. We can excuse the first two years of his tenure, since those ostensibly weren't "his guys". Now? This is Frank Martin's program, molded in his image. And where do we stand?

Common Pro-Frank Arguments:

"We just beat _____________! We are turning the corner!"

The fact that we can play objectively better competition and win proves that CFM needs to go. Our abhorrent inconsistencies are the mark of a lesser coaching staff. I can (begrudgingly) accept a mediocre roster that is unable to compete with Kentucky or Virginia. I cannot abide a roster that can, but proceeds to lose to the likes of Stetson.

"We are South Carolina! We can't expect to be a relevant basketball program!"

I question your allegiance if you have this mindset. Sure, historically, we aren't a blue blood. Not even remotely. We are, however, a school with top-notch facilities that can spend.

Is Auburn a traditional blue blood in basketball? Of course not. Are they a competent team that competes at an acceptable level for Auburn every year? Absolutely. The difference? I think we know.

"Coach Frank Martin shapes our players into men, ready to tackle the real world!"

That's great! He can do the same thing at SC State. I want wins. And honestly, half of our players seem to transfer before fully matriculating through the program anyway.

In summation, how anyone can defend CFM is beyond me. He should have (and would have) been let go by most other schools after last season.

Here's to hoping Tanner has the gumption to do what he needs to do once we invariably miss the NCAA Tournament (again).

• One tournament appearance in eight years. An incredible run that was the greatest postseason performance in our program's history. This was huge and Frank should get a lot of credit for it.
  • Oh yeah... one tournament appearance in eight years. The greatest postseason run in program history was, all things considered, totally un-capitalized on in retrospect. Most recruits and other programs (rightly) viewed our run as a fluke.

• An overall record of 137-113. We can excuse the first two years of his tenure, since those ostensibly weren't "his guys". Now? This is Frank Martin's program, molded in his image. And where do we stand?

The fact that we can play objectively better competition and win proves that CFM needs to go. Our abhorrent inconsistencies are the mark of a lesser coaching staff. I can (begrudgingly) accept a mediocre roster that is unable to compete with Kentucky or Virginia. I cannot abide a roster that can, but proceeds to lose to the likes of Stetson.

I question your allegiance if you have this mindset. Sure, historically, we aren't a blue blood. Not even remotely. We are, however, a school with top-notch facilities that can spend.

Is Auburn a traditional blue blood in basketball? Of course not. Are they a competent team that competes at an acceptable level for Auburn every year? Absolutely. The difference? I think we know.

"Coach Frank Martin shapes our players into men, ready to tackle the real world!"

That's great! He can do the same thing at SC State. I want wins. And honestly, half of our players seem to transfer before fully matriculating through the program anyway.

In summation, how anyone can defend CFM is beyond me. He should have (and would have) been let go by most other schools after last season.

Here's to hoping Tanner has the gumption to do what he needs to do once we invariably miss the NCAA Tournament (again).

Kcjg6Broi.gif

Reactions: king ward
How about this fact- we just beat a top 10 team while shooting poorly and with little to no production from our most experienced players. Good day for the tools in the shed.
Would be rational to assume UK must have played very poorly for us to shoot poorly and still beat the #10 team, and very likely that loss will look like an anomaly on their schedule by the end of the season.

here is my thoughts on Frank.

I like Frank, and I think he maybe one of the top 5 Xs & Os coaches out there. However, it has been the same thing year after year. We are picked to finish 10th, 12th, wherever in the league, we finish top 5 or 6 with a good conference record, but..... we continue to lose two, three or four non-conference games that we should win which keeps us out of any post season. His style of coaching is great when you are winning, but becomes annoying when we can't get into the post season tournaments.

Again, I think when and if he gets teams to the post season, he is pretty successful and can out coach some coaches and make deep runs....

After last nights game, I want to shout with joy and then scream with frustration...

I have come to the realization that it is impossible for many of you to enjoy ANYTHING good that ever happens in any aspect of your life because you choose to focus on the negative all the time.

Not being negative. Being realistic and pragmatic. An inconsequential win is an inconsequential win. I cannot be happy with that win knowing that the season is a lost cause.

Not being negative. Being realistic and pragmatic. An inconsequential win is an inconsequential win. I cannot be happy with that win knowing that the season is a lost cause.
But you don't know that the season is a lost cause. We have 15 more games to play. It might turn out that you are right when March rolls around, but why not take each game as it comes?

This is the most talented team Frank has had in several years. I want to see how they come together ... and if they come together before I pass judgment.

Reactions: bucketdad
Like the UVA game, it's a reset button for Frank. Unfortunately, after the UVA win, we went out and lost to Stetson. And, the UVA win is losing a little shine since they are losing now.

Let's see how we do the next few games.

I'm so glad you reminded us. I had forgotten all this stuff since it hasn't been brought up in the last 22 minutes.. smdh... Do you wipe your ass with sand paper?

Would be rational to assume UK must have played very poorly for us to shoot poorly and still beat the #10 team, and very likely that loss will look like an anomaly on their schedule by the end of the season.
Good Grief Man.

Don't fricken watch then if you are a quitters.. Why do you feel like you have to remind everyone how miserable you are

Reactions: Immasafebet
so if we hired greg marshall and he did no better, would yall be having this same conversation?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT