ADVERTISEMENT

a good % on here think nothin' more of players than as a piece of meat...*

They're here to get an education and plan a career. Sorry that disappoints you, they may not realize how much they OWE you.

Umm, that's exactly what I said. I also said that if they somehow learn to "Quit" along the way, the system has failed them. Finally, I said there is no way around that bottom line, final analysis. Because there isn't.

Feel free to hit "reset" on your spin cycle.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Disagree. I think of them as young student athletes here to learn about life. When a player takes the advice to "Quit", then the system has failed that student at every level.

No way around that final analysis.

He’s not quitting. He’s starting his NFL career. Something he can actually get paid for. If you had a job paying nothing but had the possibility of going to one where you get pay a few hundred thousands of dollars but could possibly double that amount by prepping for the job...I doubt you’d consider leaving to prep for that job “quitting”.

Funny how many of us who have never been in that position are so confident we’d play that final game. I wonder what the people we’ve encountered, and disappointed in our lives would say we’d do? I know if my son has that opportunity i’d back his decision 100%.

Deebo will have graduated before we play the game as well (December 17th). Don’t pretend this about being a student...

OP is right. Many of you will only remember Deebo for not playing this Bowl Game. It’s only about what the player can do to make you feel better. Some don’t give a crap about these guys and what happens to them in life after being a Gamecock. It’s pathetic.

Last edited:
He’s not quitting. He’s starting his NFL career. Something he can actually get paid for. If you had a job paying nothing but had the possibility of going to one where you get pay a few hundred thousands of dollars but could possibly double that amount by prepping for the job...I doubt you’d consider leaving to prep for that job “quitting”.

Funny how many of us who have never been in that position are so confident we’d play that final game. I wonder what the people we’ve encountered, and disappointed in our lives would say we’d do? I know if my son has that opportunity i’d back his decision 100%.

Deebo will have graduated before we play the game as well (December 17th). Don’t pretend this about being a student...

OP is right. Many of you will only remember Deebo for not playing this Bowl Game. It’s only about what the player can do to make you feel better. Some don’t give a crap about these guys and what happens to them in life after being a Gamecock. It’s pathetic.

This job, that job, any job, anything worth pursuing does not involve quitting or shortcuts. He's getting piss poor life advice. The age of the millennial's, kid gloves and safe spaces is glorious ain't it??

You're never going to change my mind. There's right and wrong. Not playing for selfish reasons is wrong and should never be rewarded, taught, or encouraged. So....stop.

This job, that job, any job, anything worth pursuing does not involve quitting or shortcuts. He's getting piss poor life advice. The age of the millennial's, kid gloves and safe spaces is glorious ain't it??

You're never going to change my mind. There's right and wrong. Not playing for selfish reasons is wrong and should never be rewarded, taught, or encouraged. So....stop.

Being pissed at a kid for selfish reasons is even worse. Especially being pissed at a kid for making a career decision because it hurts your favorite team. Which goes back to the OP’s point. Good grief.

Also, I think the NFL is worth pursuing.

Last edited:
I feel we've lost something somewhere. I can't escape the feeling.

You'll get over it. This new generation is smart and can dispense from the 'rah-rah', win one for the Gipper....

Anyone remember the Michigan or Michigan State tight end injured in a bowl game a few years back? Nope, that's the point.

Thanks Deebo, there's a slot receiver playing today in the NFL who will be riding the pine when Deebo hits camp.

Reactions: NC Garnet & Black
Wonder if winning a bowl game was a team goal?

What does that have to do with his education as you said? Did his scholarship say he had to complete all team goals? I’d say he fulfilled the requirements or schools might be making it known these players didn’t.

Ask Muschamp on his call-in show about their goals. He supports Deebo’s decision. If he’s ok with it then I am. I’d say he was part of the goal setting process. I bet the goal wasn’t the Belk Bowl. Considering I’m sure winning the SEC was a goal the Bowl goal would’ve been Sugar Bowl or better.

Bottom line is this has nothing to do with education and you know it. You know it, I know, and everyone else knows it. It’s just all people can hold onto in arguments like these.

Last edited:
I'd bet every single person saying bad things about Deebo would do the same exact thing. It sucks for you guys, but how can you blame him? If it were the playoffs I'd feel different. Get hurt in the Belk Bowl playing UVA or prep for every kids dream? Come on!

Have you ever quit a job, transferred schools or left a relationship? If so you are GUILTY of what you are saying. Again there are certain reasons for quitting that are selfish with no really good reason or logic, but this one is surely reasonable and logical. Just because you heard your Dad say something over and over doesn't mean there is not context to apply it.

You'll get over it. This new generation is smart and can dispense from the 'rah-rah', win one for the Gipper....

Anyone remember the Michigan or Michigan State tight end injured in a bowl game a few years back? Nope, that's the point.

Thanks Deebo, there's a slot receiver playing today in the NFL who will be riding the pine when Deebo hits camp.
I'll have to get used to being around it. I won't get over it. I've just become ok with non-scholarsip football played by regular students.

Worked wonders for Mike Tyson. Ask him. Seriously, I give up. Uncle. Uncle.

Yeah your right . Don’t see Deebo buying lions and tigers and dropping $500,000 a weekend at the strip club like Mike . Funny you said that , I watched a Tyson documentary today . It was insane .

Reactions: ConKreteCock
Honestly, if I see Mike Tyson, I’m being still and not saying a word. Dude is crazy!

You see how he laid out Zach Galafanikis in the Hangover?!?!

Watch the Youtube Podcast of Charlie Murphy telling his story about Mike Tyson and his Lion . It’s freaking hilarious .

Well then you’ll agree with Deebo’s decision since he graduates on December 17th, 12 days before the game he is missing.
Yes. It's all technically kosher. But we've still lost something. Not every case is the same as Deebo's. And before you assert I'm mad at him, I'm not. I have too many other concerns to waste time with that.

Reactions: PC31
Yes. It's all technically kosher. But we've still lost something. Not every case is the same as Deebo's. And before you assert I'm mad at him, I'm not. I have too many other concerns to waste time with that.

I think we are on the same page but defend it different. I don’t agree or like Deebo’s decision but understand why it was made. His lack of durability is a risk others don’t have. He has a history of injuries. He needs to be healthy. I think you can say those things without being mad. Me, I tend to just defend the guy to the point some may think I’m defending the recent trend. I hate the trend. It sucks. But in this case I do understand more than other cases. I understand in some ways in each case I guess. But I think we feel similar about this.

Reactions: king ward
I'd bet every single person saying bad things about Deebo would do the same exact thing. It sucks for you guys, but how can you blame him? If it were the playoffs I'd feel different. Get hurt in the Belk Bowl playing UVA or prep for every kids dream? Come on!
First of all, it's not saying "bad" things about Deebo to question his decision. This isn't a debate between the mean people and the nice people. It's a legitimate debate to have. On the one hand, the player has a very real and legitimate interest in protecting his financial future by not risking injury in a "meaningless" bowl game. On the other hand, one of the fundamental tenets of sports is that you don't quit on your team.

We've grown accustomed to not having our best college football players come back for their senior season. We've decided that's a reasonable decision for players likely to be drafted early. We're a little less sure about the trend of late where the best players skip "meaningless" bowl games. My question is where does it end? I think Pee Dee Dawg is right that if the Gamecocks were in the playoffs, we'd probably all be outraged that Deebo was quitting on his team. If the playoffs are the key, then why did Deebo play any games after the Kentucky game? Our playoff and SECCG dreams went down the tubes that night along with any realistic chance of a "meaningful" bowl game. At a minimum, if the Belk Bowl is a meaningless game, then certainly the Akron game was also meaningless. And why play the week before against the nation's #2 defense, where the chances of injuries to our players were almost certainly higher than in any of our games after UGA?. Or the week before that against Chattanooga in another meaningless game? What about mid-season games in wet and sloppy conditions where footing is compromised and risk of injury increased? I think it's a slippery slope. I don't know the answer and I'm not criticizing Deebo for making this decision. But at the same time, I don't think we have to automatically agree that he's doesn't owe anything to his team and program.

I

The playoffs have changed everything. If you're not in them, your just playing an exhibition game. People sit out of exhibition games all of the time.

Wonder if winning a bowl game was a team goal?

- Winning the SEC East was a team goal.
- Beating Georgia was a team goal
- Beating Kentucky was a team goal
- Beating A&M was a team goal
- Beating Clemson was a team goal.

I doubt winning the Department Store Bowl was on the list for the team in August.

One of the reasons that these kids go to school is preparation for a career. As he will graduate and has fought back from major injury, I am not sure he owes anything. His leaving will allow for others to play more which helps us next year. It is a useless bowl game that no one will remember (and barely watch).

His main team is his family. He is doing what is best to help secure their financial future which we should all get behind. This happens in every walk of life (including the military) so why not unpaid football?

Reactions: ddw1263
Umm, that's exactly what I said. I also said that if they somehow learn to "Quit" along the way, the system has failed them. Finally, I said there is no way around that bottom line, final analysis. Because there isn't.

Feel free to hit "reset" on your spin cycle.

I don't need to spin it. I just don't agree with you. Somehow characterizing your opinion as "bottom line, final analysis" is funny. Get over yourself. This kid doesn't owe you anything or need your approval.

You are trying to dictate what a player should do? You have never contributed anything to his well being. You never feed hin a meal, bought him clothes, etc. His family is the only folks who have done that and the only ones who need to make the decision. In my opinion the only regret I have about Deebo is the fact he was missed so much time due to injury. He did not cause any trouble and is an asset to our program now and in the future. No way I down grade him for sitting out a bowl game.

You are trying to dictate what a player should do? ...
I would say he has an opinion, just as everyone else does who has commented one way or another on this matter. He's just as entitled to express his opinion as anyone else. He isn't dictating anything, inasmuch as none of us has any power to do so.

You'll get over it. This new generation is smart and can dispense from the 'rah-rah', win one for the Gipper...

I agree with Ward’s take. And I think most of you do also. This idea that the younger generation “gets it” is interesting. I find myself wondering what they are impassioned fans for? If your Gamecocks or my Tigers are simply business men looking out for themselves by optimizing their future earning potential, what are we cheering for? Where does it stop? ETN will make the pros if he doesn’t struggle for that extra yard to get the first down. Should he then just stop? It’s safer. It’s smarter.

It’s not that I am mad at a player for sitting out. I get it. It’s just that I think Ward is right. The “rah rah” stuff matters. The emotional connection matters.

People being so resolute and unflinching in their statements in this thread -- wonder how that might change if this involved them? Crazy how people start finding room for nuance then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT