ADVERTISEMENT

A Pissed Off Spurrier is good for USC football

I feel the same way. It's kind of like when enough people call you fat, you eventually say alright mofo's and you start killing it in the gym.

He can be pissed but the reality is we don't have the players to go dominate or much less beat our remaining opponents with the exception of a few teams.

Being pissed a few times a year isn't enough. You got to be pissed year round in today's game.

Being pissed a few times a year isn't enough. You got to be pissed year round in today's game.
I totally agree with you here! The problem is I think Spurrier only gets pissed off at the media these days he's taking this football thing too much in stride for me.

Hey, there are a lot of teams that are celebrating being 1-1.....Arkansas is 1-1, Tennessee is 1-1 and they are having great seasons and doing summersaults over there about their season....It just doesn't have the same ring to it now, does it ??????

He is prolly laughing all the way to da bank. Cashing them retirement checks

When you challenge Spurrier be ready for his response.....I think he will surprise a lot of people this year! GO COCKS
Being pissed off won't solve any of our deep rooted problems in short order. This program is now reaping the benefits of several very poor consecutive recruiting classes and, according to some much smarter than me, less-than-stellar assistant coaches. One only has to look at the glaring difference between our personnel and the personnel on other top tie programs to realize that we just don't have the horses to compete with the best. It will take years and a monumental effort from top to bottom to climb out of this.

Better talent would be good for USC football. Maybe he should be pissed about the recruiting efforts, and maybe some player evaluation, over the last couple of years.

As competitive as Steve Spurrier is I'm shocked that he doesn't try to win the recruiting battles it doesn't make any sense taking a knife to a gunfight like we are doing now

As competitive as Steve Spurrier is I'm shocked that he doesn't try to win the recruiting battles it doesn't make any sense taking a knife to a gunfight like we are doing now

When you really look at his history, SOS has never really been a guy that digs deep into recruiting. He was able to dominate at Florida by keeping the top talent in the state. He rarely had to go outside of Florida to win a recruit and after a few championships guys were lining up to commit.

His incredible run at USC was not coincidently timed with arguably the greatest crop of in state talent SC has ever seen. Spurrier was able to keep those guys in state and ran off a lot of wins but he never really had to commit to recruiting top guys in other states. Now the SC talent pool is back where it normally is with 2-3 top guys a year. Clemson is grabbing at least their share so it leaves 1 maybe 2 playmakers from in state on the roster. The rest have to come from out of state and what you see are very few relationships have been made outside of SC. It should come as no shock that USC is having to settle for less talent because the effort was not made 5-6 years ago during the best years of the program.

You can hate him all you want, but Dabo has done an outstanding job selling his program to recruits outside of SC and has the young coordinators in place that do the same. The talent gap has swung drastically to Clemson because they are grabbing the guys outside of SC.

Reactions: Gamecock2015
When you really look at his history, SOS has never really been a guy that digs deep into recruiting. He was able to dominate at Florida by keeping the top talent in the state. He rarely had to go outside of Florida to win a recruit and after a few championships guys were lining up to commit.

His incredible run at USC was not coincidently timed with arguably the greatest crop of in state talent SC has ever seen. Spurrier was able to keep those guys in state and ran off a lot of wins but he never really had to commit to recruiting top guys in other states. Now the SC talent pool is back where it normally is with 2-3 top guys a year. Clemson is grabbing at least their share so it leaves 1 maybe 2 playmakers from in state on the roster. The rest have to come from out of state and what you see are very few relationships have been made outside of SC. It should come as no shock that USC is having to settle for less talent because the effort was not made 5-6 years ago during the best years of the program.

You can hate him all you want, but Dabo has done an outstanding job selling his program to recruits outside of SC and has the young coordinators in place that do the same. The talent gap has swung drastically to Clemson because they are grabbing the guys outside of SC.
I don't disagree with you at all. My point was that I know how Spurruer hates to lose, why wouldn't he jump on the recruiting trail with guns ablazing like these other coaches, especially after he seen the success that it brings.

Spurrier really could have the best job in college football! But that would require him hiring an offensive coordinator that was really good. And we all know that's never going to happen.

I don't disagree with you at all. My point was that I know how Spurruer hates to lose, why wouldn't he jump on the recruiting trail with guns ablazing like these other coaches, especially after he seen the success that it brings.

Spurrier really could have the best job in college football! But that would require him hiring an offensive coordinator that was really good. And we all know that's never going to happen.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again...there ain't a damn sole here that knows how much time and effort Spurrier puts into recruiting. We just have a bunch of fans around here that read and hear stuff then go around repeating it when things aren't going so well.
Don't get me wrong, I want to see better recruiting too and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing a shake up on the staff to accomplish it. Lord knows we have a lot of average to good asst coaches but we could definitely upgrade at a few positions.
But I believe Spurrier is aware of where we are talent wise and contrary to some people's belief I believe he is doing all he knows to do to correct it. Will it be enough? Only time will tell.

And you can take this garbage right back over to taternet. We heard this during the 5-0 run too, which pretty much means if there is a talent gap it ain't by much and our coaches our better at developing players and good enough coaches to overcome it on gameday.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again...there ain't a damn sole here that knows how much time and effort Spurrier puts into recruiting. We just have a bunch of fans around here that read and hear stuff then go around repeating it when things aren't going so well.
Don't get me wrong, I want to see better recruiting too and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing a shake up on the staff to accomplish it. Lord knows we have a lot of average to good asst coaches but we could definitely upgrade at a few positions.
But I believe Spurrier is aware of where we are talent wise and contrary to some people's belief I believe he is doing all he knows to do to correct it. Will it be enough? Only time will tell.
Before you scream anymore u do know that the head coach is not allowed to do much at all in recruiting right? When I criticise him for recruiting its because he doesn't care much about it and that attitude permeates into his son.

Damn I like Spurrier, I really do, but he isn't perfect and needs to either rethink how he's running the program or move on.

Before you scream anymore u do know that the head coach is not allowed to do much at all in recruiting right? When I criticise him for recruiting its because he doesn't care much about it and that attitude permeates into his son.

Damn I like Spurrier, I really do, but he isn't perfect and needs to either rethink how he's running the program or move on.

I hate seeing people posting speculation when they have nothing to back it up. Unless you've got solid evidence how about not posting it at all.

He can be pissed but the reality is we don't have the players to go dominate or much less beat our remaining opponents with the exception of a few teams.

Really, it's much too late to be pissed off. The time for that was 2-3 years ago when our recruiting began to resemble a Conference USA team rather than an SEC East contender. Can't win without the 'hosses'.

When you challenge Spurrier be ready for his response.....I think he will surprise a lot of people this year! GO COCKS

Well, in that case, I challenge him get the hell out of the way and let the RBs that are averaging nearly 7 YPC have the rock inside the 10 yard line.

Let's see if he's as pissed off about that blunder as I am.

I'm calling BS on his statement today about the inconsistent running game and the blocking for it.
YOUR WORST RB was averaging nearly 4 YPC!!!!!!!

I hate seeing people posting speculation when they have nothing to back it up. Unless you've got solid evidence how about not posting it at all.
What do u want solid evendence for counsell? If u think Spurrier likes the day in and day out aspects of recruiting you don't know anything about Steve Spurrier. Recruiting is no different than the nfl draft. Its countless hours and hours of evaluation and tireless effort. If you don't compete with the coaches that put the time in u get left behind. There are no coaches out there that have a secret system that works with less talented players. Spurrier gets out-worked. I know that's harsh but it's true.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Well, in that case, I challenge him get the hell out of the way and let the RBs that are averaging nearly 7 YPC have the rock inside the 10 yard line.

Let's see if he's as pissed off about that blunder as I am.

I'm calling BS on his statement today about the inconsistent running game and the blocking for it.
YOUR WORST RB was averaging nearly 4 YPC!!!!!!!

Can't disagree with this at all. We kicked fieldgoals because he wanted to try to to throw it in the redzone instead of running it. I can see throwing it down the field to get to the redzone but UK struggled to stop the run most of the night. If we had scored one TD instead of a fieldgoal it would've tied it up, 2 would've won the game.
And running the ball would have made more sense than trying to pass it.
But just like last season with DT, coach went pass happy for some reason. Hopefully he'll get more comfortable with the running game.

What do u want solid evendence for counsell? If u think Spurrier likes the day in and day out aspects of recruiting you don't know anything about Steve Spurrier. Recruiting is no different than the nfl draft. Its countless hours and hours of evaluation and tireless effort. If you don't compete with the coaches that put the time in u get left behind. There are no coaches out there that have a secret system that works with less talented players. Spurrier gets out-worked. I know that's harsh but it's true.

Thx for the recruiting lesson teacher, I'll try to remember it going forward...not.

Like I said, you or no one else on this board knows how much time he pends recruiting and how many hours a week he works. I've met the man on several occasions and I know enough about him to know that he loves the kids, can name all of the top players from this state on any given day and many others around parts of the the country that we recruit. At least he did every time I had a chance to speak with him about, though I haven't had that chance in about 3 years.

And yeah our coaches might be getting out worked but it's not from lack of effort. I don't know if it's Spurrier's age and negative recruiting against him or what, but I'm sure he is aware of it and he's trying to do all he can to get the staff to do better.

But like I said, no one here knows how much time and effort he personally puts in to recruiting but they sure do love to talk as if they do.

SOS is a product of his age and culture. He likes to play golf and drink beer with the guys. Long hours just don't fit his temperament. He's been successful here, but I'm afraid that the well has run dry in the talent department - players AND staff. We need a driven 24/7 coach at Carolina. We don't have the instate talent to simply throw out a net and haul in 4 and 5 star talent. Like UTe, Arky, Ole Miss, et al, we have to WORK for it - hard!

SOS is a product of his age and culture. He likes to play golf and drink beer with the guys. Long hours just don't fit his temperament. He's been successful here, but I'm afraid that the well has run dry in the talent department - players AND staff. We need a driven 24/7 coach at Carolina. We don't have the instate talent to simply throw out a net and haul in 4 and 5 star talent. Like UTe, Arky, Ole Miss, et al, we have to WORK for it - hard!
Agree

On the Spurrier show, he didn't look like he was mad. Sorta of o well we lost, let's try Georgia now. When he said the team gave good effort that's when he lost me. That first half looked like a rewind of last year. He is set in his ways(offense) and won't change.

If Ray and Steve would deep six Adams and rehire Ellis, then get a top notch OC that can recruit, you people would love Spurrier again.

We've never brought in the type of talent we have since SOS arrived. Who do you think we can get that can do any better? Who wants to be "that guy" to come in and fill Spurrier's shoes with expectations that our fans now have?
Maybe we can get Ron Zook, huh.

hahaha, Spurrier doesn't scare anyone anymore. If he wasn't pissed off last year then his pissed off days are over.

Hate to say it but it is time for a change in the coaching circle. The decline in the team during the Holtz years was hard to watch. Now we are seeing a drop-off in this team. Yes the season is not over but no way this team compares to previous years with Clowney, Swearinger, Connor Shaw, etc.

Now, the question is whether this team will play with a chip on their shoulder and shock the world? It can start Saturday as the underdog at JawJaw. Beat them and the mood of the team and fan-base changes dramatically.

Being pissed doe not help the program he needs to let someone else call plays, maybe
he should have hired a coordinator this year. The talent is not there play the freshman
more what is going on with play calling.

Better talent would be good for USC football. Maybe he should be pissed about the recruiting efforts, and maybe some player evaluation, over the last couple of years.
And who is head of recruiting? We all should be seeing where a LOT of our problems are and who's in charge of all that!!

If Spurrier walks and we bring in an entirely new staff our fans better be prepared for going back to 4-5 wins a season. Opposing coaches will destroy anyone we hire (other than Saban or other top level proven coach which ain't gonna happen, or especially a young "up and coming" coach) by telling recruits that if Spurrier couldn't get it done here the new guy surely can't.

I'm tellin' ya the best thing we could do is make a transitional hire that keeps some of the staff and retain Spurrier in some capacity in the AD, as an ambassador and face of the program if nothing else.

That's not going to happen. When Spurrier leaves and it will be after this year, he won't have anything to do with this state or University. He will be back in Florida and visiting the Gator nation. We won't even be a memory to him, just like all holtz talks about is Notre Dame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT