ADVERTISEMENT

A tweet from dawn Staley about what #4 committ said to her

The Sunday State News has a good article on USC WBB recruiting and gives insight on how it's done during the pandemic. Law says she spends lots of time zooming. After this season interest by recruits in coming here has really taken off. Great to hear that top recruits are pursuing us. So many appreciate the comradery and togetherness this team displays on the court. The four new recruits are mentioned but not named.

We lose seniors Harris & Herber-Harrigan and take on four total freshmen. What am I missing. Did two others leave? Thompson and Wesolek??

We lose seniors Harris & Herber-Harrigan and take on four total freshmen. What am I missing. Did two others leave? Thompson and Wesolek??
At this time, no one is expected to leave program. Dawn always leaves scholarships available, so pushing someone out the program for someone else isn't necessary. Assuming all these recruits are from the same class then they won't come into play until Fall 2021 when Lele Grissett graduates. Having said that there's still the off chance 1-2 of these players could potentially be a grad transfer,a traditional transfer or even from the class of 2022 or beyond.

If Coach Frank Martin is going to improve SC basketball from where it is today, then he must start successfully recruiting the elite, in state basketball players. Doesn't have to the the 5* players, but he should be getting his share of the 4* players. There is still hope, but he must do that.

I my opinion there is no "IF". Martin has proved himself as a lackluster recruiter and a bully to his players who he knows can't respond to his tantrums during games.

Nobody has to leave. We played with only 11 scholarships this past year, and have only one incoming recruit (so far). Destiny Littleton was on scholarship, but sat out. The four coming in are most likely for the following season, so, if things stay the way it is currently, in two years we will have lost three and will bring in five.

He built it but failed to maintain it! Building a program is just one step of the process. See Dawn Staley for what it should look like.
3 11 wins seasons in a row, an SEC East Championship. Ruled UF, UGA, UT and Clemson, Beat #1 Alabama and STILL could not get the recruits needed to maintain that status. Even Clemson on a 5 game losing streak got better players. The only thing we didnt do is play dirty and pay off parents and players like everyone else.

Reactions: 92Pony

The WBB program can have up to 15 scholarship players any given season. We had 12 on roster this past season, with 11 eligible to play (Littleton red-shirted). With Harris and Herbert-Harrigan's graduation and Eniya Russell as an incoming scholarship freshman, we'll have 11 total returning players on roster for next season (2020-21). With Grissett's graduation after next season, and the incoming 4 unnamed prospects, we'll have 14 players on roster for 2021-22. This is if all 4 prospects are part of the 2021 class, and none of them are transfers who could enroll and possibly be eligible to play next season, or red-shirt like Littleton did, and be eligible for 2021-22 season.

If any are graduate transfers and therefore are just one-year deals, then they could come in and then be gone before the rest of the 2021 class enrolls. But then if any of the 4 are, then there's little reason for them to wait and make their announcements, because transfers - whether they have to red-shirt or not - enroll earlier into the program than the 2021 class prospects, who still have to have their senior years in high school first.

So especially if they may not even still be in the program when the 2021 class prospects arrive, it makes little to no sense for them to wait and announce. And since transferring out of one college program to another one happens fairly quickly, they usually don't wait around, but go ahead and make their decisions public, and move on with it.

Another scenario is that 1 or more of these 4 mystery commits may be part of the 2022 - and not 2021 - cycle. Coach Staley has USC in solid position for 2-3 prospects for that cycle. But if this is the case, then I believe it would be the very first time since Staley became our head coach, that a rising high school junior has committed to her program. They've all been well into their junior years, or have been rising seniors.

It all depends on exactly who these 4 mystery commits are. But regardless, if all 4 of them are true incoming freshmen of the 2021 class, we would have enough room on the roster without kicking anyone off the roster, and still have one more open scholarship left.

The only other time I believe we had as many as 14 players on the roster was the 2014-15 season, after A'ja Wilson's class came in. We had 1 more open scholarship spot left and was saving it for Shakayla Thomas out of Alabama, but she chose Florida State over us, so it went left open. We ultimately had 2 players from that class transfer out due in part to not getting enough playing time, and 2 others from the next 2 cycles as well for much the same reason. That's why Dawn now believes around 12 players is the most she prefers to have on any one team....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT