ADVERTISEMENT

A win is a win but let this sink in...

MorganEFan

Dec 1, 2007
Davidson starting pitcher came into the game with a 8.82 era. He held us scoreless for 6 innings.

Florida will not trot a starter out with a 8.82 era.

I know it is baseball and I am glad we won but I can't ever remember us having this weak of a hitting team. The shame is we have pitching that could take us deep in Omaha but not sure we score enough to get there.

Davidson starting pitcher came into the game with a 8.82 era. He held us scoreless for 6 innings.

Florida will not trot a starter out with a 8.82 era.

I know it is baseball and I am glad we won but I can't ever remember us having this weak of a hitting team. The shame is we have pitching that could take us deep in Omaha but not sure we score enough to get there.
We have a pitching coach who refuses to use our "deep" bullpen. Sure wish CH would have this discussion with him. If he has CH should remind him who is in charge.

I agree that this team's hitting is subpar, but I don't think its as far off as it looks. Pitching has carried our teams pretty much since Smoak and company left. What we are missing is a power bat. Right now there is no Dantzler, Walker, or Martin that are driving in runs. IF we start to get run production out of the 3-4-5, we will finish strong. I was really hoping to see Grosvenoir swing it last night. Not sure why he was brought in if not to hit.

I agree that this team's hitting is subpar, but I don't think its as far off as it looks. Pitching has carried our teams pretty much since Smoak and company left. What we are missing is a power bat. Right now there is no Dantzler, Walker, or Martin that are driving in runs. IF we start to get run production out of the 3-4-5, we will finish strong. I was really hoping to see Grosvenoir swing it last night. Not sure why he was brought in if not to hit.
We managed 3 hits, yes 3 hits is all we managed against Davidson. It is one thing if they threw their ace but a kid with 8.82 era. Bad

Our team can't hit junk ballers..A steady diet of off speed pitches is their kryptonite,,they'll hit UF pitchers better than last nights Davidson scrub....That being said i still would not be surprised to see our beloved Gamecocks get swept..This team finds ways to lose until the pressure of winning a series is off..

Reactions: bucketdad
Our team can't hit junk ballers..A steady diet of off speed pitches is their kryptonite,,they'll hit UF pitchers better than last nights Davidson scrub....That being said i still would not be surprised to see our beloved Gamecocks get swept..This team finds ways to lose until the pressure of winning a series is off..
Agreed. If you see inferior pitching all the time, you'll hit it. If you don't, well it could be trouble. The pressure thing is a big concern. We have a losing record in conference series' right now. Things could quickly get out of hand and the pressure will mount if we don't get a handle on that.

Reactions: lawcalcock
We managed 3 hits, yes 3 hits is all we managed against Davidson. It is one thing if they threw their ace but a kid with 8.82 era. Bad
Take 2011 lineup and this one, replace Destino with Walker and look how the stats would compare. The struggles with the heart of the lineup are the difference. If we get one of those guys going, this team is really good. If we don't, then our pitching will have to be perfect from here on out.

Reactions: jbouton
Take 2011 lineup and this one, replace Destino with Walker and look how the stats would compare. The struggles with the heart of the lineup are the difference. If we get one of those guys going, this team is really good. If we don't, then our pitching will have to be perfect from here on out.
They are also glaring. MSU had no problem deciding to go against Destino without anyone playing third and LF playing LC. That's a problem. The pitcher didn't even seem all that concerned about throwing an outside pitch. Of course he did try to punch a bunt that way... good move but unsuccessful. The bottom line was we still couldn't take advantage of what was a gift. Kinda Sad.

Not the most knowledgeable baseball fan, but our guys swung at almost every pitch last night - and almost everyone swung at the first pitch. Maybe they were trying to jump on a kid with such a bad ERA, but it sure wasn't working.

Just commenting on last comment....Grosvenor did come into hit vs. the lefty but was removed when Davidson countered with a righty....Purely a matchup sub...I too would like the big guy to get some swings but in this case it was a matchup issue and he was pinch hit for even though he never got into the batter box.

Just commenting on last comment....Grosvenor did come into hit vs. the lefty but was removed when Davidson countered with a righty....Purely a matchup sub...I too would like the big guy to get some swings but in this case it was a matchup issue and he was pinch hit for even though he never got into the batter box.
Yeah, I saw all that. I was alluding to him having 4 AB's all year, not necessarily him being pulled last night. I know he had very limited appearances last year too. Only seen him swing in person a couple of times, both of which he smoked some balls foul.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT