ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Fitt's column essentially blames the fans for Holbrook's resignation

He's usually a good columnist. A few Tarheads were also saying something similar in the Tar Pit, but who gives anything about their opinions? They also seemed to imply they are a much better program than us because they beat us in a couple of games, and won a Super once. Guess those trophies are meaningless

He's usually a good columnist. A few Tarheads were also saying something similar in the Tar Pit, but who gives anything about their opinions? They also seemed to imply they are a much better program than us because they beat us in a couple of games, and won a Super once. Guess those trophies are meaningless
I take exception to this sentence: "The Gamecocks got hot and lucky a couple years in a row, and their fans suddenly believed championships were their birthright."

It wasn't like we had never been to a CWS title game before in our history before our 2010 run. We made it to the title game in the '70s, 2002 and were one game away from the title series in 2004. And takes a lot more than luck to win as many consecutive NCAA games as we did during our streak.

giphy.gif

Reactions to that column make me think of an old saying ... a hit dog will holler loudest.

Reactions: mUSCle Gamecock
They've enjoyed Holbrook as our USC coach.

Blowouts at neutral sites in 2017 and 2016.
We are 1-4 with his as coach.

They can take that whine and cheese talk to their basketball forums.

Reactions: sclawman77
Itwasn't like we had never been to a CWS title game before in our history before our 2010 run. We made it to the title game in the '70s, 2002 and were one game away from the title series in 2004.And takes a lot more than luck to win as many consecutive NCAA games as we did during our streak.

Carolina has played for the CWS Championship on 6 occasions...'75, '77, '02, '10, '11 and '12. More than the Tarholes. Who cares what the Holes think?

Here's a thought. What coach has ever been fired because the fans adored him or her? You coach well and win the fans are happy and you stay if you coach poorly and the team loses you go. Plain and simple logic.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I actually don't really disagree with anything he said in the article. It is what it is.

Fitt is a UNC grad so it figures. Of course those greedy, impatient fans caused all of this-not sorry coaching.

https://d1baseball.com/columns/sky-high-expectations-doomed-holbrook/

SKY HIGH EXPECTATIONS??? All we wanted was to be competitive in the SEC. He took a national, top 5 baseball program and made it mediocre. Then he resigned because of it. Sure! The fans were pissed. Here now, everybody who thinks he did an adequate job, raise'em up. Lets see a show of hands. I thought so.

I take exception to this sentence: "The Gamecocks got hot and lucky a couple years in a row, and their fans suddenly believed championships were their birthright."

It wasn't like we had never been to a CWS title game before in our history before our 2010 run. We made it to the title game in the '70s, 2002 and were one game away from the title series in 2004. And takes a lot more than luck to win as many consecutive NCAA games as we did during our streak.

I didn't read it yet, but that's the gist of the UNC forum. Basically they say about us:

1) They're delusional
2) We beat them in a Super, and a couple ref season games
3) Chad is a good man, how dare they talk bout him, and not be happy about being out of the tournament
4) They're delusional
5) The fact we've won 2/3 titles (including appearing in 3 in a row) is inconsequential, they are still a better baseball program historically

I think that the percentage of Carolina fans that truly believe we should be in Omaha every year is not that large, but the tourney should be a given. Yes, a fair amount of injuries, but too many questionable coaching decisions that arguably cost the team enough wins to get into the tournament. Not to mention the stellar SEC series loss record, and the losses period. I think Mike Fox should resign, and they should welcome Chad with open arms. I'd give it 2 years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT