ADVERTISEMENT

Academics vs athletics

cocktal

Dec 13, 2014
Too many times have I heard on the talk shows and read on different
blogs that the tiger coaches are superior to the Gamecock coaches
because they do not just recruit athletes, but they recruit kids that will
excel in the classroom as well as the football field.
The following is a quote from Jayron Kearse, a junior, I repeat a junior,
on the tiger football team: " They ain't ask nobody else these questions".
I do not believe Mr. Kearse will have to worry about being bothered by the
Rhode's scholar folks.

Elden Campbell (Tater basketball player) when asked if he earned a degree while at Clemson said, "No, but they gave me one anyway." True story.

Suffice it to say that both schools are doing a decent job of recruiting and progressing football players through the maze of college academics. A review of the 2014 APR (Academic Progress Report) scores shows clemPson slightly ahead at #16 (983 score) and our Gamecocks at #21 (980 score). Anybody trying to make a significant difference out of these numbers are splitting hairs -- not even worth the time in discussing.

You can look further at GPA or specific majors or even graduation rates, but the APR is already built on most, if not all, of these components. To spin anything more of this is just that -- SPIN.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/14/5717872/new-2013-apr-scores-ncaa-football

Last edited:
Reactions: fellowship
Stories like this make me laugh and remind me of a Jack Lemmon movie, its name I can't recall in which he plays an architect hired to design a grocery store for some billionaire retailer, the name of the store (thinks Lemmon) is "Weebe Foods".

Lemmon's architectural study-rendering is beautiful - but upon completion of his presentation he's 'corrected' by the billionaire - "your building's fine but fix the name, you spelled it wrong."

Lemmon asks if there's another way to spell "Weebe" and is told "it ain't weebe foods it's WE BE FOOD!"

"WE BE FOOD!" asked an incredulous Lemmon, "are you serious? That's the dumbest dam* name I've ever heard!"

"Don't say dam* 'round me, boy," says the billionaire, "don't they teach you no English in school?"

You can't judge a book by its cover. 'Bout 15, nah - it's now been 18-years ago a dang-near broke 'pretty regular', average guy, former Marine-grunt who LOVES college football, golf and riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles started a business that ALMOST ('effectively' had) drained his entire savings - and desperately tried to talk his best friend into buying 1/2 his company for $5,000 - just so he'd have SOME money to pay the rent and feed his wife and children. After pondering the 'opportunity' for a few days his 'friend' told him "No, I just don't think it's a good investment." 15-years later (2013) still-100% owner Bob Parsons sold 72% of his company Go Daddy! for $2.25 Billion - kept 28% (and $2 billion of the purchase price, which he retained and paid taxes on) while dividing the other $250 million as 'bonuses' among his employees.

Bob himself slips into somewhat 'convoluted' language now and again but CLEARLY understands the basics of 'business' (if not 'precisely' the relevance of what 'percentage' of a number constitutes its actual multiple, to wit:)

"I try to keep costs down and sell for more than I've got in something ... example, if you buy for $1 and sell for $2 you just can't beat that 1%." Some people make fun of his error, smart people get his meaning.

Unless you're an English teacher and the person you're addressing is your student it's rarely a good idea and it's terrible to make a habit of 'correcting' others spelling, syntax or word-structure. THAT you don't learn in school, that you learn from experience. MILLIONS of us can write a lucid sentence, it's measured in the hundreds those of us who work with billions ... and it might surprise you how many of those hundreds routinely garble the English language or sound like hicks.

I loved Wm. F. Buckley and detested Gore Vidal. Sometimes it's just 'presentation', which brings me back to the subject ... we're gonna' stomp UNC's prissy a$$e$.

Reactions: sandlapper59
Stories like this make me laugh and remind me of a Jack Lemmon movie, its name I can't recall in which he plays an architect hired to design a grocery store for some billionaire retailer, the name of the store (thinks Lemmon) is "Weebe Foods".

Lemmon's architectural study-rendering is beautiful - but upon completion of his presentation he's 'corrected' by the billionaire - "your building's fine but fix the name, you spelled it wrong."

Lemmon asks if there's another way to spell "Weebe" and is told "it ain't weebe foods it's WE BE FOOD!"

"WE BE FOOD!" asked an incredulous Lemmon, "are you serious? That's the dumbest dam* name I've ever heard!"

"Don't say dam* 'round me, boy," says the billionaire, "don't they teach you no English in school?"

You can't judge a book by its cover. 'Bout 15, nah - it's now been 18-years ago a dang-near broke 'pretty regular', average guy, former Marine-grunt who LOVES college football, golf and riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles started a business that ALMOST ('effectively' had) drained his entire savings - and desperately tried to talk his best friend into buying 1/2 his company for $5,000 - just so he'd have SOME money to pay the rent and feed his wife and children. After pondering the 'opportunity' for a few days his 'friend' told him "No, I just don't think it's a good investment." 15-years later (2013) still-100% owner Bob Parsons sold 72% of his company Go Daddy! for $2.25 Billion - kept 28% (and $2 billion of the purchase price, which he retained and paid taxes on) while dividing the other $250 million as 'bonuses' among his employees.

Bob himself slips into somewhat 'convoluted' language now and again but CLEARLY understands the basics of 'business' (if not 'precisely' the relevance of what 'percentage' of a number constitutes its actual multiple, to wit:)

"I try to keep costs down and sell for more than I've got in something ... example, if you buy for $1 and sell for $2 you just can't beat that 1%." Some people make fun of his error, smart people get his meaning.

Unless you're an English teacher and the person you're addressing is your student it's rarely a good idea and it's terrible to make a habit of 'correcting' others spelling, syntax or word-structure. THAT you don't learn in school, that you learn from experience. MILLIONS of us can write a lucid sentence, it's measured in the hundreds those of us who work with billions ... and it might surprise you how many of those hundreds routinely garble the English language or sound like hicks.

I loved Wm. F. Buckley and detested Gore Vidal. Sometimes it's just 'presentation', which brings me back to the subject ... we're gonna' stomp UNC's prissy a$$e$.

Love it!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT